Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
This Athletic article just made me notice… Thomas, Rask, Swayman, Ullmark. All worked with Bob Essensa in Boston. Game’s best goalie coach?

Lots of teams like Toronto, Pittsburgh and Edmonton always seem to struggle with terrible goaltending. Some rely on a superstar goalie like Tampa. But Boston, no matter who they put in net, always get stellar performance from their goalies.
Having a deep D group helps too. Getting Lindholm was very smart move by them last year, it fixed the hole left by Chara. Having 2 top pairing D can help goalies out a ton.

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
Our thoughts on the Bruins don’t carry much weight as Habs fans, but I’m sure we all agree that no matter how they finish out this season and playoffs this is not the best team in the history of the NHL.
I think it would be pretty funny if the last game of the year the Bruins needed a win to secure the season points record and somehow the Bad News Habs beat them. Can't see it.....but you never know.
Also, if the B's don't win the Cup....all the regular season points don't mean shit.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think it would be pretty funny if the last game of the year the Bruins needed a win to secure the season points record and somehow the Bad News Habs beat them. Can't see it.....but you never know.
Also, if the B's don't win the Cup....all the regular season points don't mean shit.
Patriots won 18 straight and lost the Super Bowl. Boston will be one of 16 teams to compete for the Cup. They haven't won a thing yet.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
How the f*** is Calgary losing to Chicago?!!!!

Holy crap! This is a MUST win game you doofuses!

f***ing Markstrom with an .810 save percentage. Geezus .... :facepalm:

Reactions: Rapala

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The Pens have to be the softest team in the league. Good golly, I dont know how Hextall can ice the teams hes iced.

How the f*** is Calgary losing to Chicago?!!!!

Holy crap! This is a MUST win game you doofuses!

f***ing Markstrom with an .810 save percentage. Geezus .... :facepalm:
Markstrom has been rattled off since last years PO. Hes been so bad.

Also the team just sounds very toxic and seems to be missing their leadership. Cant help to lose Gio, Money, Tkachuk, Gaudreau. + Sutters probably done there.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Sutter is not as out of touch as some think he is, but a different kind of coach and approach probably gets them easily to the playoffs this year. They’re no contender but they can run up some playoff revenue over the next few years

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Unf***ing believable, in the midst of a playoff battle, Calgary loses to the worst team in the league 4-3.

WOW!

:doh:
Too bad Hughes didn't get Calgary's 2023 1st in the Toffoli deal instead of their 2022 1st.

But the 2025/2026 1st from the Monahan deal is looking better and better. Just need Florida to fall in 2024-25.

But at this rate the Florida pick from the Chiarot deal is looking like at best 19th overall.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

00C6DC87-2ED2-4961-B073-AE14C238B618.jpeg

Madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Tanking just to rush the prospect and burn him out is such an obscene waste of time and resources I cannot fathom how anybody could approve of how they handled Slafkovsky who was worse in Liiga than KK was in their respective draft years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
View attachment 682009

Tanking just to rush the prospect and burn him out is such an obscene waste of time and resources I cannot fathom how anybody could approve of how they handled Slafkovsky who was worse in Liiga than KK was in their respective draft years.
Rushing a prospect is definitely a mistake. As I said at the beginning of this season, I wouldnt have played Slaf in the NHL this year.

Giving up on a player too early is even worse though. Article talks about how the media ripped him in his 2nd year and it got in his head.

But I guess you don’t want to talk about that part right?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Rushing a prospect is definitely a mistake. As I said at the beginning of this season, I wouldnt have played Slaf in the NHL this year.

Giving up on a player too early is even worse though. Article talks about how the media ripped him in his 2nd year and it got in his head.

Why would I need to talk about something that’s clearly and universally wrong and contemptible?

Kotkaniemi shouldn’t have been in that position to begin with. Neither should Slaf. Believe me, I know the pattern — the biggest and loudest supporters of how the Habs rushed Slafkovsky (and Kotkaniemi) will just as soon turn on him and blame the player’s failures on some moral failing on behalf of the teenager and not on the circumstances into which the player was thrust by the Habs organization.

Additionally, it’s obviously worse to tank a full season and then crash and burn a high picked prospect than to cut him loose when it isn’t working out. Obviously the book hasn’t been written with Slafkovsky and we all want his success but it’s shocking to me how many people excuses away what was clearly part of the Habs’ destructive pattern with prospects.

I mean, “the best place for players to develop is the NHL” was oft repeated by multiple commentators here!

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
With one of the best paid goalies in the league and one of the best goalie prospects on the roster, it is f***ing Alex Lyon going 4-0 giving up five goals who will drag Florida into the playoffs. :rolleyes:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

That's because his second year, he took a large step back in his development while Tkachuk took a large step forward down the road in Ottawa.

Tkachuk vs Kotkaniemi was constant, and Bergevin was probably having regrets by that time too.

Those of us who supported KK were constantly told how shit he was too - can't skate, can't pass, etc.

Anyways, Bergevin didn't believe in him in the end nor did DD, who benched him in the Finals.

He's at the age where he's getting his man strength, and he's continued to improve his game at both ends. It was always about 22+ with KK. It's the same with Slafkovsky.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
That's because his second year, he took a large step back in his development while Tkachuk took a large step forward down the road in Ottawa.

Tkachuk vs Kotkaniemi was constant, and Bergevin was probably having regrets by that time too.

Those of us who supported KK were constantly told how shit he was too - can't skate, can't pass, etc.

Anyways, Bergevin didn't believe in him in the end nor did DD, who benched him in the Finals.

He's at the age where he's getting his man strength, and he's continued to improve his game at both ends. It was always about 22+ with KK. It's the same with Slafkovsky.
The problem with spending big draft value on projects is that there are many steps from Here to There and a player can fail and fall off at any of those inflection points. Of course more put-together prospects also have a development trajectory but projects tend to have clear flaws that need to be improved whilst also developing and adapting to the superior leagues and competitions.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
View attachment 682009

To be fair, Kotkaniemi and Slafkovsky are two different players. We shall see how things go, though believe me I'm on your side of this clash of ideas and no diverging opinion has changed my mind.

Having said that, I'm sure had Kotkaniemi been questioned at age 18-19, he would have been all smile while regurgitating PR-versed statements and hockey adages. And fans would have ate it up and claimed everything's going according to the organization's plan and path of development.

Which reminds me we are sorely lacking skilled forwards. We can't draft them, can't develop them. Caufield is the only exception to the rule so far.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You're god damn right but Im bumping this thread every point he gets and nobody can stop me.
Lucky for us these bumps happen less than half the time.

Just teasing. The kid was born a week before my twin boys. I have nothing against him; I just find the impact of his bickering far exceeds his impact on the ice.

Reactions: The Great Weal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad