Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Until KK becomes a consistent 60 point center, the pick was still a mistake given who went next and we are better off with Suzuki/Dach and potentially PLD. I would rather have the assets instead of either him or Dvorak. If MB had a half a brain cell he would have traded one of the billion good but not great prospects for McCann (who's light years ahead of both players) and not resign Armia meaning we wouldn't need Dvorak.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The unrealistic expectations are crazy. Beck played well for Team Canada in the WJC and then overnight became a dud.

Carey Price was a 5th overall pick who had one of the best performances in WJC history in helping Canada to gold. A few months later he won the Calder Cup as a 19-year old and was named AHL playoffs MVP. He started in the NHL at age 20 (extremely young for a goalie) and had some growing pains in his rookie season in the NHL (i.e. playoffs vs Philly) which continued on in his 2nd season which coincided with the emergence of Halak. Many here turned on Price big time. The same thing happens over and over with impatient fans who want instant superstardom. They have no clue what's involved in the development process in terms of ups and downs.
I always use the great 2003 draft class as an example: 3-years post draft Eric Staal looked like the best pick, D+5 Carter/Richards, D+8 Getzlaf/Perry/Weber…. today would be hard pressed to not say Bergeron / Pavelski were the cream of the crop

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I always use the great 2003 draft class as an example: 3-years post draft Eric Staal looked like the best pick, D+5 Carter/Richards, D+8 Getzlaf/Perry/Weber…. today would be hard pressed to not say Bergeron / Pavelski were the cream of the crop

Don’t forget the NHL Network redraft from ~2019 that had Brent Burns going #1

• Haha
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Anyways, unpopular opinion, but the KK offersheet was the best thing that could have happened. It was a public pantsing of Marc Bergevin that likely contributed to his dismissal and the change of direction of this team to a full on rebuild. The vacancy for a future 2C left by KK was filled by Hughes by, in my opinion, a superior player to KK in Kirby Dach.

Plus we got to enjoy watching Dvorak for 2 full seasons, maybe more. /s
I am not sure your opinion is unpopular - at least, it is one that I share. Bergervin is an idiot for sure, but on the offersheet, he did the right thing - what was he supposed to do, match the six million+ dollars for a guy that scored 5 goals the previous season? I am good with that particular descision - in any case, letting KK go shouldn't be the focus for Bergervin's ineptatude; drafting KK in the first place, secondary to piss-poor prospect evaluation, should.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I still don't get it with KK. If he was ruined here, it would be impossible for him to find success with Carolina.

If he had spent 2 more years in the SHL, would he have been a better NHL player in 20-21, or would the fans just have more patience and a longer leash for a young player that they haven't already seen struggle for 2 seasons ?

I think the latter is much more of the issue than "improper development". His first 4 seasons, it didn't appear that he was improving , and fans, including myself, gave up on his potential.

I maintain that it's just a waiting game for players like KK and slaf. Whether they are in the NHL, ahl, shl, or other, we're not going to see what kind of player they're going to be till they're 22-23 years old, or sometimes even older.
I guess we are happier with a 21yo rookie putting up a 30 pts season than a 21yo playing his 3rd season doing the exact same thing.

Reactions: ReHabs

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Kk is getting second line minutes and linemates on one of the best teams in the league and producing like a third liner still. He'd be getting crucified here still.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Here is an interesting stat on a former Hab. Tatar improved his offence this year with the Devils going from 30 to 34 points but more interesting is his +/- going from a -22 to a +39. One hell of a swing. His previous best was in 18/19 with the Habs when he was +21.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I still don't get it with KK. If he was ruined here, it would be impossible for him to find success with Carolina.

If he had spent 2 more years in the SHL, would he have been a better NHL player in 20-21, or would the fans just have more patience and a longer leash for a young player that they haven't already seen struggle for 2 seasons ?

I think the latter is much more of the issue than "improper development". His first 4 seasons, it didn't appear that he was improving , and fans, including myself, gave up on his potential.

I maintain that it's just a waiting game for players like KK and slaf. Whether they are in the NHL, ahl, shl, or other, we're not going to see what kind of player they're going to be till they're 22-23 years old, or sometimes even older.
He never played in the SHL. He is FInnish and played in SM-Liiga. We all know that would never have happened with Bergevin, heck he should not have been picked 3rd overall but Bergevin had it in his mind center over the best player so we got KK and the Sens got Tkachuk and Vancouver got Hughes yada yada

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The development thing has been beaten to death. We can massage the story to suit our narratives. Anyway, while I enjoyed the possibility of Carolina offersheeting and locking up a 18 point player for 8 years, it doesn't bother me too much to see KK and Carolina finding success. Not the first nor the last time I'll be wrong on this board.
Nor I. He was never tugging on my heartstrings to begin with and once players are gone I usually only talk about the ones I had an affinity with.

Reactions: GrandBison

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The unrealistic expectations are crazy. Beck played well for Team Canada in the WJC and then overnight became a dud.

Carey Price was a 5th overall pick who had one of the best performances in WJC history in helping Canada to gold. A few months later he won the Calder Cup as a 19-year old and was named AHL playoffs MVP. He started in the NHL at age 20 (extremely young for a goalie) and had some growing pains in his rookie season in the NHL (i.e. playoffs vs Philly) which continued on in his 2nd season which coincided with the emergence of Halak. Many here turned on Price big time. The same thing happens over and over with impatient fans who want instant superstardom. They have no clue what's involved in the development process in terms of ups and downs.
Even when superstardom is achieved, IE Price, haters remain and just stick around for the i-told-you-so moment when he comes back down to earth.

Good thing it never happened to Price

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Don’t forget the NHL Network redraft from ~2019 that had Brent Burns going #1
Burns is at worst top 5. He peaked super high and was literally a top pair D for longer than anyone else in the draft. He's 7th in points in one of the deepest crop ever. He has the third most game played and I think he's likely the 2nd best player still playing right now, either him or Pavs.

There's a legit argument for him to be #1, but I do prefer Bergeron.

He's up there with Webs, Getzlaf and Perry for the rest of the top 5.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Kk is getting second line minutes and linemates on one of the best teams in the league and producing like a third liner still. He'd be getting crucified here still.
He's producing as much as Danault in his first season and he's getting less icetime.

Also he's 2 years younger than Danault was. Context matters.

Reactions: zeeto

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Even when superstardom is achieved, IE Price, haters remain and just stick around for the i-told-you-so moment when he comes back down to earth.

Good thing it never happened to Price
Price got it really bad during his development years though. Remember when he had to tell booing fans to chill because it was pre-season? The masses were pissed when the Habs chose to keep him over Halak. It was crazy how so many didn't see that he had all the tools and it was just matter of time before he'd put everything together.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Price got it really bad during his development years though. Remember when he had to tell booing fans to chill because it was pre-season? The masses were pissed when the chose to keep him over Halak. It was crazy how so many didn't see that he had all the tools and it was just matter of time before he'd put everything together.
And he went on to, imo, have the best season for a goaltender that year.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Burns is at worst top 5. He peaked super high and was literally a top pair D for longer than anyone else in the draft. He's 7th in points in one of the deepest crop ever. He has the third most game played and I think he's likely the 2nd best player still playing right now, either him or Pavs.

There's a legit argument for him to be #1, but I do prefer Bergeron.

He's up there with Webs, Getzlaf and Perry for the rest of the top 5.

Brent Burns is a phenomenal player that might very well sit atop the 2003 throne, but in this very serious re-draft exercise I do not pick him 1st overall knowing it will take him 12 years to reach that level.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

This

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad