Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
I think it would be pretty funny if the last game of the year the Bruins needed a win to secure the season points record and somehow the Bad News Habs beat them. Can't see it.....but you never know.
Also, if the B's don't win the Cup....all the regular season points don't mean shit.
The ultimate F.U.to fans would be winning the last game and dropping to the sixth spot, wouldn't surprise me, imagine actually putting out money for games like Sat. and last night,what a f#$king disgrace. .Armia,Hoffman,Pitlick,Theirny,Gurionov, Drouin GTFO of here already!!! Clueless Quote of the night last night from Peter Ruttgaizer :dunce:,one of the questions last night during the break was who your unsung hero for the season might be and his second choice was Pitlick :biglaugh:what a fu#$ing idiot.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Lucky for us these bumps happen less than half the time.

Just teasing. The kid was born a week before my twin boys. I have nothing against him; I just find the impact of his bickering far exceeds his impact on the ice.
Is he supposed to remain silent? He was interviewed and answered questions honestly. Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I still don't get it with KK. If he was ruined here, it would be impossible for him to find success with Carolina.

If he had spent 2 more years in the SHL, would he have been a better NHL player in 20-21, or would the fans just have more patience and a longer leash for a young player that they haven't already seen struggle for 2 seasons ?

I think the latter is much more of the issue than "improper development". His first 4 seasons, it didn't appear that he was improving , and fans, including myself, gave up on his potential.

I maintain that it's just a waiting game for players like KK and slaf. Whether they are in the NHL, ahl, shl, or other, we're not going to see what kind of player they're going to be till they're 22-23 years old, or sometimes even older.

Reactions: 417 and GrandBison

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Anyways, unpopular opinion, but the KK offersheet was the best thing that could have happened. It was a public pantsing of Marc Bergevin that likely contributed to his dismissal and the change of direction of this team to a full on rebuild. The vacancy for a future 2C left by KK was filled by Hughes by, in my opinion, a superior player to KK in Kirby Dach.

Plus we got to enjoy watching Dvorak for 2 full seasons, maybe more. /s

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I still don't get it with KK. If he was ruined here, it would be impossible for him to find success with Carolina.
That's normally true, but Kotkaniemi was relatively young, went to one of the best organizations in the league, and if he has exceptionally strong character, he can recover. It just takes time.

Reactions: zeeto and ReHabs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Anyways, unpopular opinion, but the KK offersheet was the best thing that could have happened. It was a public pantsing of Marc Bergevin that likely contributed to his dismissal and the change of direction of this team to a full on rebuild. The vacancy for a future 2C left by KK was filled by Hughes by, in my opinion, a superior player to KK in Kirby Dach.

Plus we got to enjoy watching Dvorak for 2 full seasons, maybe more. /s
Thank you for that. :skeptic:

Reactions: the

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

If he had spent 2 more years in the SHL, would he have been a better NHL player in 20-21, or would the fans just have more patience and a longer leash for a young player that they haven't already seen struggle for 2 seasons ?

I think the latter is much more of the issue than "improper development". His first 4 seasons, it didn't appear that he was improving , and fans, including myself, gave up on his potential.

I maintain that it's just a waiting game for players like KK and slaf. Whether they are in the NHL, ahl, shl, or other, we're not going to see what kind of player they're going to be till they're 22-23 years old, or sometimes even older.
This is the best case outcome. It's just as likely the young player wilts and bends over, collapsing under the pressure/expectations. Remember they're also developing as people, as thinkers, their brain and mental structure even. Unless they're worthwhile to the team that drafted them in the NHL, it doesn't help these young people to be thrust in such a high standard of play and kept there when it proved to not be working out.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
That's normally true, but Kotkaniemi was relatively young, went to one of the best organizations in the league, and if he has exceptionally strong character, he can recover. It just takes time.
The development thing has been beaten to death. We can massage the story to suit our narratives. Anyway, while I enjoyed the possibility of Carolina offersheeting and locking up a 18 point player for 8 years, it doesn't bother me too much to see KK and Carolina finding success. Not the first nor the last time I'll be wrong on this board.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Morgan Frost in Philly is becoming an efficient NHL player. Recently, I thought he was he was the exception at the rule. « To be above 100 pts in the OHL (D1,D2), and become at the same time, a bust in the NHL.
Thats why guys like Riley Kidney and Joshua Roy have a decent potential imo.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Why would I need to talk about something that’s clearly and universally wrong and contemptible?
Because your posts epitomize everything that’s wrong in terms of prospect development.

Tons of people agree that both players were rushed or mismanaged. But the shit heaped on these players right from the get go is appalling. The concern trolling and relentlessness critiscm on 18 or 19 year old players is pathetic.

And when teams give up on young talent, they often regret it. Kirby Dach is a good example.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's because his second year, he took a large step back in his development while Tkachuk took a large step forward down the road in Ottawa.

Tkachuk vs Kotkaniemi was constant, and Bergevin was probably having regrets by that time too.

Those of us who supported KK were constantly told how shit he was too - can't skate, can't pass, etc.

Anyways, Bergevin didn't believe in him in the end nor did DD, who benched him in the Finals.

He's at the age where he's getting his man strength, and he's continued to improve his game at both ends. It was always about 22+ with KK. It's the same with Slafkovsky.
I don’t think KK will ever be what he could’ve been. He was so badly mismanaged early on and Tkachuk’s immediate success only fueled the trolls. But he still has the potential to be a solid player.

As for Slaf, he was the number one pick in a weak draft. Our expectations shouldn’t be too high. Again I think we’re mismanaging him but the constant BS written on him here is so over the top it’s pitiful.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Because your posts epitomize everything that’s wrong in terms of prospect development.

Tons of people agree that both players were rushed or mismanaged. But the shit heaped on these players right from the get go is appalling. The concern trolling and relentlessness critiscm on 18 or 19 year old players is pathetic.

And when teams give up on young talent, they often regret it. Kirby Dach is a good example.
It's strange why you'd respond to my comment without reading it. It epitomizes online discourse - everybody digs a trench and refuses to budge.

I've budged plenty and was here cheering him on when he had his very brief hot streak with Monahan, but it's pitiful that you think this should be a partisan affair.

All the while the Habs are burning through topX drafted prospects at a rate of one every three years... AND you're a big time tank-supporter who thinks the only way to win is to draft high. It doesn't square to me.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don’t think KK will ever be what he could’ve been. He was so badly mismanaged early on and Tkachuk’s immediate success only fueled the trolls. But he still has the potential to be a solid player.

As for Slaf, he was the number one pick in a weak draft. Our expectations shouldn’t be too high. Again I think we’re mismanaging him but the constant BS written on him here is so over the top it’s pitiful.

Who escapes it though?

Every prospect is bashed the minute they hit the slightest snag. Everything good Beck did was washed away with a small stretch of low offensive production after being traded to Peterborough, for example.

Hutson could put up 100 pts in the NCAA next year and if he comes to the NHL and doesn't score at a PPG pace and gts burned by someone physical for a goal, people will immediately change their tune and say they knew he'd never be a NHLer.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's strange why you'd respond to my comment without reading it. It epitomizes online discourse - everybody digs a trench and refuses to budge.

I've budged plenty and was here cheering him on when he had his very brief hot streak with Monahan, but it's pitiful that you think this should be a partisan affair.
I don’t think it should be a partisan affair at all. That’s why I’m ripping you for your posts.

Please spare me the disingenuous “I’ve been cheering for him all along” nonsense.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Who escapes it though?

Every prospect is bashed the minute they hit the slightest snag. Everything good Beck did was washed away with a small stretch of low offensive production after being traded to Peterborough, for example.

Hutson could put up 100 pts in the NCAA next year and if he comes to the NHL and doesn't score at a PPG pace and gts burned by someone physical for a goal, people will immediately change their tune and say they knew he'd never be a NHLer.
Unfortunately that’s how it will always be. There are always going to be those who are impatient or write concern trolling type posts…

And yes, sometimes those players won’t pan out. We’ve just gone through an entire era of awful development practices. But it’s brutal to sit here and read through posts tearing apart these young prospects before they’ve even established themselves.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Unfortunately that’s how it will always be. There are always going to be those who are impatient or write concern trolling type posts…

And yes, sometimes those players won’t pan out. We’ve just gone through an entire era of awful development practices. But it’s brutal to sit here and read through posts tearing apart these young prospects before they’ve even established themselves.

It's gotten really, really bad lately..

Everyone twists with the wind and wants to be on the side that is 'right'.

The easiest thing in the world is to take a stance AGAINST a prospect, most of them don't make it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's gotten really, really bad lately..

Everyone twists with the wind and wants to be on the side that is 'right'.

The easiest thing in the world is to take a stance AGAINST a prospect, most of them don't make it.
I have zero problem with someone who thinks we drafted the wrong guy or feels like we’re mismanaging a player. I have zero issues with someone who reminds us of who they would’ve drafted instead. That’s all well and good.

But at least take a wait and see approach with how a kid that young is going to turn out. At the very least give him some seasons to show what he can do.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I have zero problem with someone who thinks we drafted the wrong guy or feels like we’re mismanaging a player. I have zero issues with someone who reminds us of who they would’ve drafted instead. That’s all well and good.

But at least take a wait and see approach with how a kid that young is going to turn out. At the very least give him some seasons to show what he can do.

I have some issues when it is so soon. It's a marathon not a sprint and we've had so many situations like this on the board in the past, you'd think we wouldn't need to remind people of that.

Making the NHL first.. or having the best D+1 season doesn't mean that it's the best player.

You never know on a prospect until they meet the next set of challenges, we've all seen players look so good and get stuck at a level. We've all seen players look pretty pedestrian and yet get better as they move up levels.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Who escapes it though?

The unrealistic expectations are crazy. Beck played well for Team Canada in the WJC and then overnight became a dud.

Carey Price was a 5th overall pick who had one of the best performances in WJC history in helping Canada to gold. A few months later he won the Calder Cup as a 19-year old and was named AHL playoffs MVP. He started in the NHL at age 20 (extremely young for a goalie) and had some growing pains in his rookie season in the NHL (i.e. playoffs vs Philly) which continued on in his 2nd season which coincided with the emergence of Halak. Many here turned on Price big time. The same thing happens over and over with impatient fans who want instant superstardom. They have no clue what's involved in the development process in terms of ups and downs.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don’t think it should be a partisan affair at all. That’s why I’m ripping you for your posts.

Please spare me the disingenuous “I’ve been cheering for him all along” nonsense.
I think you're misreading his posts.

He doesn't hate Slafkovsky -- that would be a nonsensical thing to do. He also no longer or rarely discusses the merits of drafting Slafkovsky.

He makes one main points.
Habs shouldn't be rushing Slafkovsky, particularly if he's a project.

I agree with him that the posters defending the rushing of Slafkovsky on the basis that he's a project will be the first to actually bash him as a human being if he busts.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The unrealistic expectations are crazy. Beck played well for Team Canada in the WJC and then overnight became a dud.

Carey Price was a 5th overall pick who had one of the best performances in WJC history in helping Canada to gold. A few months later he won the Calder Cup as a 19-year old and was named AHL playoffs MVP. He started in the NHL at age 20 (extremely young for a goalie) and had some growing pains in his 2nd season in the NHL (i.e. playoffs vs Philly) which continued on in his 3rd season which coincided with the emergence of Halak. Many here turned on Price big time. The same thing happens over and over with impatient fans who want instant superstardom. They have no clue what's involved in the development process in terms of ups and downs.

We have another recent example and this one is so funny in its wild swings.

Heineman was a training camp darling - he's gonna make the team, he's a top 6er, oh wow look how great he is. Gets hurt and returned to Sweden.

Oh wow, Heineman sucks, what a bust, we got fleeced for Toffoli. He can't score in the SHL.. another player we took in a trade/draft just cause moar bigger.

Then he comes to the AHL on fire and he's the next Pacioretty, no he's better than Pacioretty.

As soon as he has a few games struggling at the NHL level, he'll be back to sucking and we should have gotten Pelletier Coronato and a 1st.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
We have another recent example and this one is so funny in its wild swings.

Heineman was a training camp darling - he's gonna make the team, he's a top 6er, oh wow look how great he is. Gets hurt and returned to Sweden.

Oh wow, Heineman sucks, what a bust, we got fleeced for Toffoli. He can't score in the SHL.. another player we took in a trade/draft just cause moar bigger.

Then he comes to the AHL on fire and he's the next Pacioretty, no he's better than Pacioretty.

As soon as he has a few games struggling at the NHL level, he'll be back to sucking and we should have gotten Pelletier Coronato and a 1st.
LOL! I hope none of these dudes are financial advisors!

These stocks had a bad day. Dump them now!:laugh:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

You’re welcome to respond to any comment j make but try to read what I say before you fire off a reply next time.

Or don’t, I can’t make you and it seems you’ve made up your mind anyway

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad