Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
if Matthews was a Hab, I'd be really disappointed that our 'potential 50G scorer' keeps getting injured, thus preventing him from scoring more than 30-40 every year ... but then again, that'd be par for the course for a Habs star player :laugh:

we're talking 6 straight seasons of injuries here

to me it indicates that goalscoring requires more grit, hustle, physicality... you're trying to beat your dman 1:1, to create separation and get a shot off in a tightly contested situation.

whereas when you're making an assist, you usually have more space to make the play. maybe? :dunno:
Okay, but you're talking about a completely different thing in order to keep defending the "technically correct" thesis.

Yes, technically Matthews has had more 40 goal seasons than 50 goal seasons. However, he's consistently produced in 45+ goal pace, hence his career average of 51 goals per season.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
They should implement a timer. At some point, it's delay of game...

I get that sentiment, but I love it. It's creative gamification.

It does remind me a bit of the old spinorama shootouts, where if it's executed perfectly, the goalie basically can't stop it.

Reactions: zeeto

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I don't really follow NCAA UFA signings around the NHL, since we've never signed anybody worthwhile for as far as I can remember; but I can't help notice just how awful of a pick the Avs have made with this guy.

He doesn't even look to have AHL potential if I'm honest.

Screenshot 2023-03-30 210831.png

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Skinner and the Oilers may have made a statement tonight
Maybe I'm drinking the Koolaid, but I'm starting to question if its a foregone conclusion that McDrai bolt as soon as they can. This Oiler team is starting to feel pretty special.

And as much grief as Holland gets for the Nurse and Campbell contracts, is it fair to ignore the Hyman, RNH and Kane deals? Three excellent top 6 players (70+ Pts) for less than 16m combined is pretty insane.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't really follow NCAA UFA signings around the NHL, since we've never signed anybody worthwhile for as far as I can remember; but I can't help notice just how awful of a pick the Avs have made with this guy.

View attachment 678801
Hes a bottom sixer, probably like 4th line energy guy, if he makes it. If... But probbaly not, and most likely he's a guy that finds success in the AHL, which is fine.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Maybe I'm drinking the Koolaid, but I'm starting to question if its a foregone conclusion that McDrai bolt as soon as they can. This Oiler team is starting to feel pretty special.

And as much grief as Holland gets for the Nurse and Campbell contracts, is it fair to ignore the Hyman, RNH and Kane deals? Three excellent top 6 players (70+ Pts) for less than 16m combined is pretty insane.
Signings like Campbell baffle me the same way signings like Alzner do. They make you wonder how certain things could possibly slip threw the cracks on a staff that gets paid to scout hockey players for a living. Lol but Holland obviously has done some really good things. RNH approaching 100 points at $5 million is insane.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Signings like Campbell baffle me the same way signings like Alzner do. They make you wonder how certain things could possibly slip threw the cracks on a staff that gets paid to scout hockey players for a living. Lol but Holland obviously has done some really good things. RNH approaching 100 points at $5 million is insane.
I did not watch Campbell a lot before the signing, but hes clearly not an NHL goalie. The pro scouts that recommended giving him 25 million should be banned from ever working in hockey again. Any kind of traffic in front of him and he has this uncanny ability to get out of the way of the puck.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009

View attachment 678801
If you trade away draft picks - which you should in Colorado's situation - you might as well take some chances in re-stocking the prospect pool.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

Living in Edmonton vs living in Miami, LA, Anaheim, New York, Vancouver, Toronto, or even Montreal. It’s a night and day difference I think. He will have 32 teams chasing him and offering him a max contract, I don’t see why he’d stay in Edmonton if not because he hates himself.

It’s not like Edmonton did him well, either. They squandered his career so far.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Jack Campbell played very well for the Leafs.
For 1.5 seasons, and he was putrid in the playoffs right before turning UFA. This year is just a continuation of that. It might also point to the Oilers goalie coach not being that great at his job...

Also, looking at the list of goalies this year, teams get better saves-for-bucks under $5m salary. In other words, taking 7th round picks goalies and playing them as starter at 25-29 years old at under $3m AAV is the way to go instead of trying to find the guy who will tend the net for 10-15 years.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Living in Edmonton vs living in Miami, LA, Anaheim, New York, Vancouver, Toronto, or even Montreal. It’s a night and day difference I think. He will have 32 teams chasing him and offering him a max contract, I don’t see why he’d stay in Edmonton if not because he hates himself.

It’s not like Edmonton did him well, either. They squandered his career so far.
I wonder how much difference there is between an affluent bubble in Edmonton versus an affluent bubble elsewhere. McDavid and Draisaitl spend half a season – about three months – living in a luxury condo somewhere in Edmonton, most of the time spent practicing and playing hockey. The majority of their year is spent travelling across North America or Summer-ing wherever they want. They don't have kids or family to care for, so how invested are they in their 'home' city?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad