Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Diamond sports group which runs Bally Sports who had previously purchased Fox Sports, has filed for bankruptcy, impacting many US NHL markets local TV revenue including:

NHL (12): Anaheim Ducks, Arizona Coyotes, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, Florida Panthers, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, St. Louis Blues, Tampa Bay Lightning

Wonder what impact this will have on those teams cap / ability to take on non expiring contracts?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Diamond sports group which runs Bally Sports who had previously purchased Fox Sports, has filed for bankruptcy, impacting many US NHL markets local TV revenue including:

Wonder what impact this will have on those teams cap / ability to take on non expiring contracts?

We need to break up the corporations. All the vertical integration has resulted in higher prices and lower quality products. Its OK for the shareholders, but overall these companies would have more individual value than the whole.
Canadas telecoms as a whole are easily one of the most anti competitive industries on the planet.

Jul 6, 2016
Yamamoto back in the Oilers line up....

Desharnais sent down to AHL.... Six days too late:sarcasm:

Maybe Edmonton is about to acquire a d-man.... Edmundson ???? or Karlsson ???? or Chychrun ????

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Yamamoto back in the Oilers line up....

Desharnais sent down to AHL.... Six days too late:sarcasm:

Maybe Edmonton is about to acquire a d-man.... Edmundson ???? or Karlsson ???? or Chychrun ????
They had to send down two waiver exempt players to reactivate Yamamoto on the roster. So two out of these three: Holloway, Desharnais and Broberg. It's not trade related.

Reactions: 1909

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Insane that at game 50, we already know that TO and Tampa will be a playoff matchup....this just kills the sport. Bring back 1-8. I'd even go 1-16 myself...
Sucks but I do think it will create a lot more rivalries. I'm ok with either format, I like the original 1 to 8 but I'm good with this 2.

I'm hoping the Rangers and Devils draw each other, that will be really fun to follow!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
They'd be playing eachother in a 1-8 format, too.
What are the best chances?

Toronto or Tampa getting the 13-14 points they need to get to Boston? Florida getting the 11-12 points to get to TBay or TO?

or

TO moving up 1 point to get to Jersey? Or Rangers moving up 1 point to get to TBay?

I'M not saying how it will end up. I'm saying that we already know at game 50 who will play who. We wouldn't know on a 1-8 format.

Sucks but I do think it will create a lot more rivalries. I'm ok with either format, I like the original 1 to 8 but I'm good with this 2.

I'm hoping the Rangers and Devils draw each other, that will be really fun to follow!
People overrate rivalries. We are not in the Nords-Habs era. What do happen now in playoffs with rivalries? Chirping? There are not fights. There's really not a whole lot going on frankly.

And if you want to believe in rivalries, and believe it does happen in playoffs, well you just need to create new ones.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Insane that at game 50, we already know that TO and Tampa will be a playoff matchup....this just kills the sport. Bring back 1-8. I'd even go 1-16 myself...

If you bring back 1-8 then you need to make the league a 2 divisions league. There's absolutely 0 reason to have 4 division if they don't matter.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
If you bring back 1-8 then you need to make the league a 2 divisions league. There's absolutely 0 reason to have 4 division if they don't matter.
And obviously, that's my point. 2 Conferences. No divisions anymore. I do not have to see Toronto more times than Columbus. If it's about rivalries, you might build those in the playoffs. Not in the regular season.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
With 32 teams they need to look at changing the entire structure. Use the NFL method. Some short 2/3 wild card series would be awesome. I'm not sure if they could get the NHLPA on board but I agree I've never liked the new format from it's inception.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
And obviously, that's my point. 2 Conferences. No divisions anymore. I do not have to see Toronto more times than Columbus. If it's about rivalries, you might build those in the playoffs. Not in the regular season.
Almost impossible to build rivalry in playoffs with a 16 teams division. You'll never face the same team. it was like that back in the days one year we would fight TB, the next Boston, then the pend, then the caps. Unless the same teams reach the semis on a yearly basis you see the teams once every 6-7 years.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I mean...I don't think he'll be an insane player....but why in the world would you ALSO give them Pillar?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
At some point it’s diminishing returns to acquire a player like ROR and put him on the 3rd line. Not sure that’s the player that they needed.

Reactions: Redux91 and Shred

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
O'Reilly with 19 points in 40 games.

If he's playing 3rd line minutes in TOR that may not improve either.

I think they've improved, but it remains to be seen how much. It will be a huge L if they don't get out of the 1st round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad