Out of Town Thread - New Year's Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
O'Reilly with 19 points in 40 games.

If he's playing 3rd line minutes in TOR that may not improve either.

I think they've improved, but it remains to be seen how much. It will be a huge L if they don't get out of the 1st round.
They would have been better off going for Meier and giving themselves the best top-6 in the league. Instead they are pigeonholing a guy into a 3C role when we know he’s capable of more. They won’t be winning series by giving equal icetime to everyone.

Reactions: Redux91

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
They would have been better off going for Meier and giving themselves the best top-6 in the league. Instead they are pigeonholing a guy into a 3C role when we know he’s capable of more. They won’t be winning series by giving equal icetime to everyone.
The point of depth is to have top6-worthy players in your bottom6, to step up in case of injury, yeah, but also game to game to take advantage of mismatches in coverage.

ROR is going to keep his new team’s top6 honest. He will take some weight off their shoulders too.

It’s a good move, maybe… but it’s certainly a necessary move for the Leafs.

Consider the Leafs paid more for a past his prime ROR than Bergevin was willing to pay to complement a win-now Shea Weber and Carey Price. SMH.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
At some point it’s diminishing returns to acquire a player like ROR and put him on the 3rd line. Not sure that’s the player that they needed.
He should get more 5 v 5 ice time than Tavares if they're at all serious.

Last roll of the dice by Dubas, perhaps? Forget the price - win now means win now and the Leafs' vaunted core has shown it's capabale of winning the square root of f*** all. ROR will help them.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I mean...I don't think he'll be an insane player....but why in the world would you ALSO give them Pillar?

My guess is Wild weren't going to sign him & they needed to give up something for the 4th? He was originally a 4th round pick, and seems to have stalled in his development.

They already have Kyle Masters, Carson Lambos, & Caedan Bankier graduating from CHL this season. David Spacek is also already 20, and needs to be signed. Marshall Warren needs to be signed, and we'll see what they do with Brock Faber.

They have a pretty deep prospect pool.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I don't see this trade making that much of a difference. Their goalies are sketchy imo. But what do I know. Oreilly is a winner who can play come playoff time.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Leafs were close to Tampa last playoff. ROR could be the difference

I agree. While it’s fun bagging on the Laffs, and I still deep down hope they choke again, this was an excellent trade for them and may be that move to out them over.

I mean, I hope they fizzle, but ROR is still a great defensive forward, with a WINNING pedigree. Toronto added some real grit.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
The point of depth is to have top6-worthy players in your bottom6, to step up in case of injury, yeah, but also game to game to take advantage of mismatches in coverage.

ROR is going to keep his new team’s top6 honest. He will take some weight off their shoulders too.
Is ROR still a legit Top-6 player though?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Do they need him to be?

I think they're fine in the top 6 with Marner, Matthew, Nylander, Tavares.

Sounds like ROR is going to solidify the bottom 6 which has been an issue for the leafs.

Reactions: MXD

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
O'Reilly has won a cup and was a key contributor to the Blues during that run and while I don't think he is quite the same player now, he still has the ability to be an important piece for them. They needed someone who knows how to win because that is what they lack the most.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

No, but he's gonna be their 3C and that is a huge win for them. Kerfoot was their 3C, now he can play wing and Kampf can be a 4C.

They've really stretched out their line-up and turned their bottom 6 from trash into an actually pretty solid bottom 6.

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Jarnkrok-Tavares-Nylander
Kerfoot-ROR-Acciari
Engvall-Kampf-Simmonds

Reactions: MXD

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Do they need him to be?

I think they're fine in the top 6 with Marner, Matthew, Nylander, Tavares.

Sounds like ROR is going to solidify the bottom 6 which has been an issue for the leafs.

No, but he's gonna be their 3C and that is a huge win for them. Kerfoot was their 3C, now he can play wing and Kampf can be a 4C.

They've really stretched out their line-up and turned their bottom 6 from trash into an actually pretty solid bottom 6.

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-ROR-Acciari
Engvall-Kampf-Simmonds

Fair enough. And I agree that they probably want ROR in their bottom 6.

My post was mostly about the claim that ROR was a top-6 player, thus a competitive advantage in the bottom-6. FWIW, according to Jfresh charts, he's still a Top-6 player.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Across the NHL, I think he is. And I see that JFresh’s analytics thing agrees with me.

For playoff teams, maybe not an ideal top6. But as they say, class is permanent… you saw a totally cooked Eric Staal somehow manage to contribute more on a game per game basis in the playoffs than he did in the regular season.

If this was the 2021 run, I’d take him to play top6 for our team— wouldn’t you?

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Across the NHL, I think he is. And I see that JFresh’s analytics thing agrees with me.

For playoff teams, maybe not an ideal top6. But as they say, class is permanent… you saw a totally cooked Eric Staal somehow manage to contribute more on a game per game basis in the playoffs than he did in the regular season.

If this was the 2021 run, I’d take him to play top6 for our team— wouldn’t you?
ROR? Sure. But he was 2 years younger.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I think it's a good deal for the Leafs. They are in win now mode, so late first round picks don't do much for them anyway.

Their bottom 6 wasn't very good but now, it's very solid.

I think they'll look to add something on the blueline and they'll have a great shot to go deep in the playoffs.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I think we see the Leafs turn the corner this year. Ya, ya, I said the same thing last season. :laugh: But I think they’re ready. Matthews practically coasted this season. They are following the Tampa formula of not forcing it during the regular season. They are prime to win something, at least one round.

This move will open up the division now. Other teams will want to upgrade.

TBH, having the Figs win at least one round would be good for hockey in the NHL. Canadian teams sucking for decades is never good.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think we see the Leafs turn the corner this year. Ya, ya, I said the same thing last season. :laugh: But I think they’re ready. Matthews practically coasted this season. They are following the Tampa formula of not forcing it during the regular season. They are prime to win something, at least one round.

This move will open up the division now. Other teams will want to upgrade.

TBH, having the Figs win at least one round would be good for hockey in the NHL. Canadian teams sucking for decades is never good.

It's still funny when they lose in round 1.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I agree. While it’s fun bagging on the Laffs, and I still deep down hope they choke again, this was an excellent trade for them and may be that move to out them over.

I mean, I hope they fizzle, but ROR is still a great defensive forward, with a WINNING pedigree. Toronto added some real grit.
I'd rather see Canadian team get a cup. Hate Boston more

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

It’s a good move, maybe… but it’s certainly a necessary move for the Leafs.

Consider the Leafs paid more for a past his prime ROR than Bergevin was willing to pay to complement a win-now Shea Weber and Carey Price. SMH.
I know what the point of depth is. If they acquired Meier, they’d also push someone down the lineup and create depth. Who plays with Tavares and Nylander now? Jarnkrok? Make that Meier and you become the most dangerous team in the league. Then go and get a Sam Lafferty for your 3C spot. He’s producing more than ROR and can also win faceoffs.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-ROR-Acciari
Engvall-Kampf-Simmonds
How’s their D looking like…goalie?

And the real question is can they beat out their moat likely opponent, the Tampa Bay Lightning now with these additions?

I’m skeptical

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How’s their D looking like…goalie?

And the real question is can they beat out their moat likely opponent, the Tampa Bay Lightning now with these additions?

I’m skeptical

I'm still skeptical as well but it has resolved a glaring weakness.

They are better today than yesterday, so hopefully Tampa finds a way to add more depth.

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad