HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That, regrettably is a faint hope. People, in all acts of endeavours, look for the immediately instant response.

But the “fall” of Dubois provides a stark reminder that the marketplace sets the value of any player. Just think, this time last year there were no shortage of posters here who were willing ( eager) to trade multiple first round choices plus other assets to Winnipeg for Dubois. LA fell prey to this frenzy. Twelve months later, LA traded their prized acquisition for: Darcy Kuemper and…. nothing. The marketplace has spoken.

I have often stated that the Marketplace provides an excellent and independent assessment of the strength of our players and prospects. Some here have emphatically stated that this prospect is a sure fire future top six forward or that prospect is a future top pairing defenceman. If that is true they would hold great market value. The reality is that they may not garner more than … a Darcy Kuemper. A truer indication of that prospect’s true value.
Should never give out contract like that unless know player very well.

Tampa Bay did the same thing to McDonagh. It's why NMCs are so important and not just NTCs. You can't waive a player with a NMC.
His agent fault. Putting NTC clause instead should been NMC. MacLean did this in Colombus 10 years ago. Everybody knew of the loophole.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I don't remember a single comment suggesting this.

I don’t remember this either BUT there were MANY posts stating he’d be the best forward on the team and immediately push Suzuki to #2C.

Anyhow, I do think he’ll bounce back in Washington. He’ll likely be the main horse to play with Ovi so he’ll get prime offensive opportunities to pad his stats before he gets traded again :sarcasm:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I have a theory.

Washington is going to play run and gun hockey , PLD is going to have a “bounce back” season playing with Ovechkin and pick up around 70pts.

People here will start making trade proposals for him again.

Now that my friend, is a joke.
One good season and he will again become the "local" player we "need".

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Goodrow is a 31yo third-liner paid 5 million dollars per year. His highest point totals (I know he's a decent checker, but still) is 33, and he scored 4 goals in 80 games last year. Now he's supposedly furious because... a team wanted him?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So did I at first. Then I was like, wait, it's not April 1st.

Vilardi, Iafallo, Kupari & a high 2nd round pick (that they got from the Sean Durzi trade) to end up with Kuemper.

At least L.A. decided not to fall for the sunken cost fallacy. But, damn....
So did I which is why I used the 95% quip.
I may have looked dumb stating it when it was already a done deal but I like to respond to what I read without fast forwarding. :laugh:
One thing is confirmed in my mind Friedman's source is all AGENT like I speculated throughout the PLD debacle.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Goodrow is a 31yo third-liner paid 5 million dollars per year. His highest point totals (I know he's a decent checker, but still) is 33, and he scored 4 goals in 80 games last year. Now he's supposedly furious because... a team wanted him?
Most hockey players would prefer to play near where they prefer to live with their family. Not get claimed and having to move across the country.

But I was sure he was put on waiver so he could be bought out in a few days or something like that. Him getting claimed still confuse me...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah I'm being told we shouldn't try to shore up our issues because some dummy overpaid for Goodrow. :banghead:

I love this place.

Reactions: Runner77

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Most hockey players would prefer to play near where they prefer to live with their family. Not get claimed and having to move across the country.

But I was sure he was put on waiver so he could be bought out in a few days or something like that. Him getting claimed still confuse me...
From the Larry Brooks article is that the belief was that the Sharks were trying to trade for him but Goodrow had them on his no trade list. So Drury put him on waivers to get around the clause.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The fact that Dubious quit on two organizations was all I needed to see. Kings fans mocked those of you who posted on the main boards once they got him but I would bet they weren't laughing last season when he quit on their team as well.

Many here would have strongly disagreed with you last summer. He was being heralded as a savior that would turn into a superstar once he wore the CH. I was not one of those people.
Yeah the lines were very apparent as to was who was Pro and who was Con.
The same people seem to see the same things at the same time most of the time.
I wonder why. :laugh:

Reactions: Runner77

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Should never give out contract like that unless know player very well.

His agent fault. Putting NTC clause instead should been NMC. MacLean did this in Colombus 10 years ago. Everybody knew of the loophole.
Look for a player who at the very least demonstrates a willingness to go through walls for his club before ever plunking down the resources the coin and certainly the term.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

It's a modern-day tragedy lol.
Do you know how many moms or dads would like to get paid 5 million dollars to get away from their partner and kids?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I don’t remember this either BUT there were MANY posts stating he’d be the best forward on the team and immediately push Suzuki to #2C.
Well, yeah, why would anyone want to acquire PLD if they didn’t think he’d challenge to be the best forward on the team? He had better draft pedigree than Suzuki and is much larger to boot… and I think at the time of trade they had similar career highs.

Going off memory, I think people thought he should get no more than Suzuki’s cap hit and be expected to pitch in no more than Suzuki does. The talk of “future superstar” is false.

Obviously as we know, Suzuki hit higher and PLD had a disaster year. The smug after-the-fact bragging is fair and all, sure, but we don’t need to overdo it with fake claims lol!

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Really need to do due diligence handing out that kind of money. Kings did similar with Fiala
?
Fiala has back to back 20+ goal, 70+ point seasons for them. At 7M$, that's very solid impact... If he maintains it for next few seasons,with cap rising, it'll be a bargain more than anything

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah the lines were very apparent as to was who was Pro and who was Con.
The same people seem to see the same things at the same time most of the time.
I wonder why. :laugh:
He wanted out of his first two NHL teams which was a red flag and the Kings looked past that(Thanks Bergie) and made the trade only to move him again. His next move is out of the league or a buyout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad