HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
He may have under-performed last year. He's been there for 6 seasons. Pretty much a PPG player. My point was Johhny T ain't the problem, it's just window dressing for the fans, moving the C around, changes nothing.
Agree. It just wasn't my point. It's not a complex process that required JT's "deep involvement" as if somehow he was part of the brainstorming and planning. He was informed that he was being stripped of the C and that it was given to someone younger, better, and with a longer term commitment. They probably asked him if he was ok with it as a matter of courtesy. Fin.

I don't like it when reporters use corporate euphimisms intended to assist a teams PR, which was clearly the case here. Typical access journalism.

"I've been informed that Tavares is really happy with the decision and that he even prepared a team celebration honouring Mathews. I'm being told Tavares is a great guy and team player and totally not dissapointed with being publicly humiliated. Another source is telling me that the Leafs management feels they handled public relations linked to this move perfectly, including leaking information to targeted reporters known for repeating word for word what we tell them and ... wait, what?"

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Agree. It just wasn't my point. It's not a complex process that required JT's "deep involvement" as if somehow he was part of the brainstorming and planning. He was informed that he was being stripped of the C and that it was given to someone younger, better, and with a longer term commitment. They probably asked him if he was ok with it as a matter of courtesy. Fin.

I don't like it when reporters use corporate euphimisms intended to assist a teams PR, which was clearly the case here. Typical access journalism.

"I've been informed that Tavares is really happy with the decision and that he even prepared a team celebration honouring Mathews. I'm being told Tavares is a great guy and team player and totally not dissapointed with being publicly humiliated. Another source is telling me that the Leafs management feels they handled public relations linked to this move perfectly, including leaking information to targeted reporters known for repeating word for word what we tell them and ... wait, what?"
If I was Tavares I would be releived, it's past time the team looked to him to lead.

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto

With you all the way on that take. But they couldn't trade Tavares, so they just took away his C and made his kids wear Matthews jerseys.....I think I would have waived the no trade clause.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Berube coming in, Matthews taking the C. I think these are good moves.

No it doesn’t change the fundamentals of the roster but it’s a clean slate from a culture perspective on previous failures.

The Leafs are still an Uber talented team. They could still put it together. I hope they don’t but I’m also surprised at the lack of success they’ve had over the years. It’s incredible how brutal they’ve been in the playoffs.
It's not really hard to see.

1. Weak defense - severe lack of puck movers
2. Inconsistent goaltending
3. A drop off in performance from their star players. Once the playoffs start.

I do like the Berube addition for them. I'm on the fence though when it comes to giving the C to Matthews. From what I've heard, the players were already coming to him. Leaving Tavares to be a figure head so to speak. So adding him really isn't a change to me.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
As I’m always keen to remind everyone, the Leafs simply aren’t the only team with 3 very good players. Until they actually remedy that they are a non-entity.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's not really hard to see.

1. Weak defense - severe lack of puck movers
2. Inconsistent goaltending
3. A drop off in performance from their star players. Once the playoffs start.

I do like the Berube addition for them. I'm on the fence though when it comes to giving the C to Matthews. From what I've heard, the players were already coming to him. Leaving Tavares to be a figure head so to speak. So adding him really isn't a change to me.
Their goaltending has been mostly good and it’s not really the goals against that has killed them.

It’s number three that you have listed here. No scoring. They invested all their assets in guys who don’t show up when it matters. I’ve never seen a worse collection of talented scorers in the playoffs. It’s incredible that these guys always seem to underperform. Nylander is the only guy who’s shown up consistently. So much talent for such little result.

Scoring should be their strength but it’s been a weakness. Absolutely crazy.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Their goaltending has been mostly good and it’s not really the goals against that has killed them.

It’s number three that you have listed here. No scoring. They invested all their assets in guys who don’t show up. I’ve never seen a worse collection of scorers in the playoffs. It’s incredible that these guys always seem to underperform. Nylander is the only guy who’s shown up consistently. So much talent for such little result.
Overall yes, but re-watch the last time our boys beat them. Campbell let in a few weak (untimely) goals that definitely must have deflated them. Their goaltending lacks consistency.

Yes definitely number three has been a killer. But don't overlook number one. Until they can improve their defense. I still don't think they have. Their offense will have to score at a regular season pace, in the playoffs. Which from what we've seen. It's probably not possible for them to do so.

Agreed, without even looking at stats. Nylander has visually been their best playoff performer.

Reactions: Runner77

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Overall yes, but re-watch the last time our boys beat them. Campbell let in a few weak (untimely) goals that definitely must have deflated them. Their goaltending lacks consistency.

Yes definitely number three has been a killer. But don't overlook number one. Until they can improve their defense. I still don't think they have. Their offense will have to score at a regular season pace, in the playoffs. Which from what we've seen. It's probably not possible for them to do so.

Agreed, without even looking at stats. Nylander has visually been their best playoff performer.
But every team’s goalie lets in bad goals. They’ve been at least good enough to keep them in most of the time.

Their scorers just disappear. It’s hilarious that that can’t get out of the first round and their superstars do absolutely nothing. :laugh:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
But every team’s goalie lets in bad goals. They’ve been at least good enough to keep them in most of the time.

Their scorers just disappear. It’s hilarious that that can’t get out of the first round and their superstars do absolutely nothing. :laugh:
Agreed, they haven't been horrible. In saying that, they've been outplayed by every opposing goalie. In every playoff series loss.

Lol you have no idea how much fun I have pissing off my Leaf friends, year after year. :laugh:

I wonder if Tavares requests a deal to a US team due to his tax issues…
I haven't been keeping up on his tax situation. Has the government rendered their decision final. Or is Tavares able to appeal the decision?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Agreed, they haven't been horrible. In saying that, they've been outplayed by every opposing goalie. In every playoff series loss.

Lol you have no idea how much fun I have pissing off my Leaf friends, year after year. :laugh:

I haven't been keeping up on his tax situation. Has the government rendered their decision final. Or is Tavares able to appeal the decision?
It’s unreal. i hope it continues. :laugh:

• Love

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
If I'm Edmonton, I let both players walk. The Oilers are a top heavy team and can't afford to overpay depth players. To replace them, roll the dice on rookies or pick up plugs on waivers.
Another ripple in this Edmonton thing is they acquired the 32nd pick this year in exchange for a conditional 1st rounder next year or the year after, which could reduce their ability to use a first to acquire depth at the deadline next year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Another ripple in this Edmonton thing is they acquired the 32nd pick this year in exchange for a conditional 1st rounder next year or the year after, which could reduce their ability to use a first to acquire depth at the deadline next year.
They could always trade the player they drafted, but Edm is really thin on what they have done with their first rounders since McDavid back in 2015. Puju, Yamamoto, Bouchard, Broberg, Holloway, Bouglat, Scheafer, traded 2023, traded 2024, but went back into the draft by giving up 2025 pick.

Only Bouchard would remain if they don't match either, plus the kid they just drafted.

Outside of Schaefer and their 23 pick for Ekholm, not much in return for Puju, Yamamoto, Broberg, Holloway, bouglat (should have taken Wallstedt) and 24 pick.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Berube coming in, Matthews taking the C. I think these are good moves.

No it doesn’t change the fundamentals of the roster but it’s a clean slate from a culture perspective on previous failures.

The Leafs are still an Uber talented team. They could still put it together. I hope they don’t but I’m also surprised at the lack of success they’ve had over the years. It’s incredible how brutal they’ve been in the playoffs.
With Berube coming in what do you think he does with an aging, slow, unskilled Ryan Reaves?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I could see Edmonton missing the playoffs. Their bottom six is worse than ours. They lost their two best bottom sixers too. They really need to dump a nurse-sized contract.

An injury to Mcdavid is all it takes.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad