HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
So, Leafs think that same entitled and pansy core with a new coach is recipe for success? This feels like deja vu. And result will be the same if they dont get superb goaltending…

• Haha
Reactions: sampollock

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
Lol well.. THATs not happening..

This is a franchise that just had 4 1st overall picks and got Draisatl with a 3rd overall pick..
And the best they can do apparently is at least a Cup Final

You want them to let them... walk..?
So they can try to get... more 1st ov down the road...?
Ask the Oilers themselves, 1st ov picks might come around more often than you think when you stink
But McDavids come once every 30 years..

They'll do everything they can to try to keep him
And should McD and Drai ever do leave , well you'll never see Oilers in a Cup Final maybe ever again
(Not that I really care tho lol)
My god, if this is how strongly you feel about Holloway and Broberg, I'd like to see what you'd write it we were discussing McDavid and Draisatl instead!

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
So, Leafs think that same entitled and pansy core with a new coach is recipe for success? This feels like deja vu. And result will be the same if they dont get superb goaltending…
They had one of the worst dcorps in the entire league and poor goaltending. Tanev is a huge upgrade and if OEL plays like he did last season he will also represent a significant upgrade. I still hope they fall on their collective faces and agree that they are not good enough to win a cup but they have definitely improved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
They had one of the worst dcorps in the entire league and poor goaltending. Tanev is a huge upgrade and if OEL plays like he did last season he will also represent a significant upgrade. I still hope they fall on their collective faces and agree that they sre not good enough to win a cup but they have definitely improved.
Who did they bring in for goaltending?

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Overall yes, but re-watch the last time our boys beat them. Campbell let in a few weak (untimely) goals that definitely must have deflated them. Their goaltending lacks consistency.

Yes definitely number three has been a killer. But don't overlook number one. Until they can improve their defense. I still don't think they have. Their offense will have to score at a regular season pace, in the playoffs. Which from what we've seen. It's probably not possible for them to do so.

Agreed, without even looking at stats. Nylander has visually been their best playoff performer.
TML scored 5 vs Tampa two years ago to go up 3-1 in that series. Since that game, 14 games vs TB, Flo, Bos, 26 goals scored. One game with 3 goals and every other game they scored 1 or 2. Captain Ron Jeremy is almost a GPG player on his own in the regular season but the team cannot manage 2 per game in the PO.

It's really sad, it would bring a tear to a glass eye, as they say.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The amount of mismanagement from the Oilers over the years is just incredible. They should have been celebrating their second cup or something. Instead, they can't even keep their young first round picks interested in staying in a cup contender. Brutal.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Having all that high priced talent with unproven goal tending doesn't appear to be a smart strategy. Woll could become solid but no gaurantee

Not sure if Askarov is really a sure-bet NHL goalie (didn’t watch him) but if he’s legit he’s the kind of player they should be targeting instead of rolling the dices each year with dubious goalies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Not sure if Askarov is really a sure-bet NHL goalie (didn’t watch him) but if he’s legit he’s the kind of player they should be targeting instead of rolling the dices each year with dubious goalies.
And evidently he is very available

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
And evidently he is very available
I'm really not sure what has happened with Askarov.
If he is as good as all that initial hype trying to move him seems like a loss at 22 years of age.
That Saros contract was a real head scratcher.
The Preds think they can win now I guess but I just don't see them coming out of the west.
Does anyone think he can now be traded for something better than 11th overall?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm really not sure what has happened with Askarov.
If he is as good as all that initial hype trying to move him seems like a loss at 22 years of age.
That Saros contract was a real head scratcher.
The Preds think they can win now I guess but I just don't see them coming out of the west.
Does anyone think he can now be traded for something better than 11th overall?
Signing Wedgewood to back up Saros tells me they don't see Askarov as part of any Nashville future.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

He's legit as legit can be but he's young, Toronto shouldn't be targeting youth in net.. nor do I think they have the pieces to get Askarov out of Nashville.

• Haha
Reactions: sampollock

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Signing Wedgewood to back up Saros tells me they don't see Askarov as part of any Nashville future.
It's weird and nobody has ever said anything negative about health and or any other personal issues.
Can anyone think of a team giving up on such a high pick/prospect at his age?
I don't think people were super surprised his name was out there at the draft in Nashville just because.
The fact that no one pulled the trigger led me to believe he would have more value staying put and graduating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
It's weird and nobody has ever said anything negative about health and or any other personal issues.
I don't think people were super surprised his name was out there at the draft in Nashville.
The fact that no one pulled the trigger led me to believe he would have more value staying put and graduating.

I think he has a “hot-dog” mentality, maybe he’s good but too brash for NSH I don’t know.

Trigger warning for RDS boomers :naughty:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think people were super surprised his name was out there at the draft in Nashville just because.

They're not giving up on him - I think ownership has pushed them into trying to compete, so keeping Saros and extending him as a veteran and established goalie was the thing to do. They went out and got Stamkos et al that fits with that.

They are also trying to use him to get an equally blue chip prospect or established top 6/top 4 defenseman from another team, which can be tricky since we know the value of goalies, even top prospect goalies doesn't seem to hold up to their actual value as a number 1 goalie.

So they want to ensure he's getting a lot of starts in the AHL while they can vs just playing 20ish games as Saros' back up. I also think you'll see a lot of Askarov getting called up to play NHL starts when Saros can't, Wedgewood is happy for a NHL paycheque and probably only plays 5-10 games all year long.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
at end of season 32 Thoughts, they said Preds are concerned with Askarov’s inability to rebound from a bad goal / period / game - that he gets too caught up in his own head, and a good goalie shakes it off quickly

Reactions: Rapala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad