HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
They should be in the hunt. Thompson, Cozens, McLeod & Lafferty is pretty good down the middle. Definitely better than what they had.

Krebs has lost his spot in the lineup, as he should. He simply hasn't been good enough for Buffalo. I would not be surprised at all if he gets waved.

Malestyn gives them a physical, defensive grinder that can kill penalties. McLeod will be a huge help in that area, too.

Buffalo was within 7 pts of a playoff spot while having the 29th ranked PP. They were 13th in PK. I think they've improved their forward ranks. It at least has more experience.

The biggest shift for them will be Ruff imo. If he can get the full buy in of guys like Dahlin, Power & Thompson, they'll be a more consistent and tougher team to play against.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The biggest shift for them will be Ruff imo. If he can get the full buy in of guys like Dahlin, Power & Thompson, they'll be a more consistent and tougher team to play against.
Yeah last year they finished up with a positive GF/GA. They let in some 50 fewer goals than we did but only scored 10 or so more.
I'm hoping we can have a similar season to that this year. Any combo that works out to +20 goals - 40 against would be awesome.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
They should be in the hunt. Thompson, Cozens, McLeod & Lafferty is pretty good down the middle. Definitely better than what they had.

Krebs has lost his spot in the lineup, as he should. He simply hasn't been good enough for Buffalo. I would not be surprised at all if he gets waved.

Malestyn gives them a physical, defensive grinder that can kill penalties. McLeod will be a huge help in that area, too.

Buffalo was within 7 pts of a playoff spot while having the 29th ranked PP. They were 13th in PK. I think they've improved their forward ranks. It at least has more experience.
They probably were a bit unlucky too. They ranked 17th in goal differencial which technically should have put them within grasp of a playoffs spot. They ranked 15h in shots for per game. They ranked 9th in shots against per game. Outside of their putrid PP and FO% they should have been very close to make the playoffs. Unless their young players take a step back they should be middle of the pack minimum.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
As it's always the case with most fans young teams are always undervalued because as every good hokcey fans know kids flop at 19 years old like Kulic he's done he's a flop. Yes it's possible it takes one more year but it's also possible it clicks this year. Dahlin and Power should become a very very good duo eventually. People act like if Dahlin would be 27-28. He'll be 24 this season (was 23 last year). He wont improve offensively but his defensive game should keep improving. Hedman entered his prime at about the same age Dahlin will be this season. Power is just 21. They have a good core I will be very surprised if it doesn't eventually click.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wheeler had Michkov 2nd best prospect. Behind only Celebrini. He was on 690 yesterday. Many were asking if they would like Michkov and Demidov both?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They probably were a bit unlucky too. They ranked 17th in goal differencial which technically should have put them within grasp of a playoffs spot. They ranked 15h in shots for per game. They ranked 9th in shots against per game. Outside of their putrid PP and FO% they should have been very close to make the playoffs. Unless their young players take a step back they should be middle of the pack minimum.
Clutch saves at the right time didn't happen often enough.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Understanding context isn't a given to everyone

Personally i've always had a huge problem with people who take era adjusted stats at face value (or any other adjusted stats like stadium adjusted). I mean McDavid is a big reason why this era is offensively oriented like Greztsky and Lemieux back in the days, You don't stop McJesus with guys like Hall Gill so team defense has moved toward speed and mobility which favor offense at large.

I have huge respect for Crosby he's one of the best player ever but anyone who thinks he's offensively speaking on the same level as McJesus needs better glasses.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yeah, both Canes & Caps will gain $3.9m in cap space. He just did Canes a huge favor.

That gives Canes about $16m to sign Necas, Jarvis & Drury now. I can't see Drury getting more than $2m leaving $14m for Necas & Jarvis. Necas probably signs a one year prove it contract. I can see Jarvis signing long-term.
I'd definitely sign Jarvis long term. Love the player personally. He's the kind of guy you win with imo. Better sign a long term deal with him now and see this long term deal finish when he'll be 29-30 than wait 2-3 years and sign one that will finsih when he'll be in his 30ies.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Here is the top 10 established by the journalist of The Athletic:
1- Jesper Wallstedt (Minnesota Wild)
2- Yaroslav Askarov (Nashville Predators)
3- Jacob Fowler (Montreal Canadiens)
4- Spencer Knight (Florida Panthers)
5- Devon Levi (Buffalo Sabres)
6- Dustin Wolf (Calgary Flames)
7- Sebastian Cossa (Detroit Red Wings)
8- Trey Augustine (Detroit Red Wings)
9- Drew Commesso (Chicago Blackhawks)
10- Michael Hrabal (Utah HC)​

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Here is the top 10 established by the journalist of The Athletic:
1- Jesper Wallstedt (Minnesota Wild)
2- Yaroslav Askarov (Nashville Predators)
3- Jacob Fowler (Montreal Canadiens)
4- Spencer Knight (Florida Panthers)
5- Devon Levi (Buffalo Sabres)
6- Dustin Wolf (Calgary Flames)
7- Sebastian Cossa (Detroit Red Wings)
8- Trey Augustine (Detroit Red Wings)
9- Drew Commesso (Chicago Blackhawks)
10- Michael Hrabal (Utah HC)​
Any chance he's the US starting goalie at the world junior?

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015

I find this MLH thing so crazy. This article goes deep on the background and it's a wild read.

I mean, it's got to be fake right? But why go through all this if it's inevitably going to come to light?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The Avs need wingers like yesterday holy crap.
That forward line-up is wrong. They are busting the cap by almost $1.4m with only 8 playable forwards, 10 if we count Nichushkin (suspended until mid-november) and Landeskog who might be healthy enough to play or not, nobody knows. It should only have 3 lines max there...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Bonjour Habs nation! What's the word in the streets in Montreal, is there any truth in this rumour?
Four-player trade brewing between Wings and Habs!
I don't know. i'm meh on this and not sure why we would want to take Holl's contract. We are finally going to be done with most of our deadwood after this season and keeping two of Reinbacher, Mailloux and Barron in the AHL would not make much sense. We just traded Honda Civic so getting Holl would be like WTF. I can see us being interested in Veleno though.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I don't know. i'm meh on this and not sure why we would want to take Holl's contract. We are finally going to be done with most of our deadwood after this season and keeping two of Reinbacher, Mailloux and Barron in the AHL would not make much sense. We just traded Honda Civic so getting Holl would be like WTF. I can see us being interested in Veleno though.

Who the hell is Honda Civic?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad