HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Personally this is the rule i've wanted but I think it should be the attacking blueline.

As soon as you cross the attacking blue-line, you have to make a play in there, you can't intentionally pass it out or skate it out otherwise its a penalty.
That would probably flow better.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
3 on 3 is always going to be a goofy way to decide who gets the additional point, I don't know how much ''better'' you can really make it. The only thing it has to be is fun to watch for 5 minutes and for me at least it already is that. It does what its supposed to do just fine as it is.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
3 on 3 is always going to be a goofy way to decide who gets the additional point, I don't know how much ''better'' you can really make it. The only thing it has to be is fun to watch for 5 minutes and for me at least it already is that. It does what its supposed to do just fine as it is.
There's no way to make it better. Can't have 20 - 40 minutes of 5 on 5 cause people got to work the next morning. In playoffs it's fine but in the regular season nobody wants that not the players, not the fans and neither the media.

5 minutes of 5 on 5 was a waste of time. It resulted in a tie 95% of the time. And 4 on 4 with an OTL point was not any better. As someone who had to live thru the deadpuck era where defensive teams with no skill would finish the season with 20 ties / otl and would start playing for the otl point as soon as the middle of the 2nd period i can tell all the young fans here YOU DO NOT WANT THAT BACK.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There's no way to make it better. Can't have 20 - 40 minutes of 5 on 5 cause people got to work the next morning. In playoffs it's fine but in the regular season nobody wants that not the players, not the fans and neither the media.

5 minutes of 5 on 5 was a waste of time. It resulted in a tie 95% of the time. And 4 on 4 with an OTL point was not any better. As someone who had to live thru the deadpuck era where defensive teams with no skill would finish the season with 20 ties / otl and would start playing for the otl point as soon as the middle of the 2nd period i can tell all the young fans here YOU DO NOT WANT THAT BACK.
I think we'd have a better outcome if they moved to a 3-2-1 points system.
Teams needing points will be forced to go for it which in turn will open up play some.
Not perfect but probably better.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think we'd have a better outcome if they moved to a 3-2-1 points system.
Teams needing points will be forced to go for it which in turn will open up play some.
Not perfect but probably better.
Yeah maybe a 3-2-1-0 points system along with 4 on 4 OT and no SO would work since playing for the OT point would not be as good as with a 2-1-0 points system. The difference is not huge though i calculed it a few years ago and for most team it was a 2-3 points difference with the 3-2-1-0 points system.

But the NHL seems to be stubborn about not having a 3-2-1-0 points system anyway for whatever reason so we are kind of stuck with I f****** do not want the 4 on 4 OT with no SO and an OT point back for any reason. I still have PTSD from the deadpuck era and bad teams playing fot the OT point for the last 30 minutes trying to prevent the good teams from grabbing the 2 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yeah this is easily circumvented by firing the puck back to the goaltender.
Teams will simply change the way they play.
Possession will still be King.

They should just use the basketball half court rule...
X amount of time to pass center ice
Not allowed to bring the puck back

But perhaps also shift to :30 second penalty for those types of infractions...

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
They should just use the basketball half court rule...
X amount of time to pass center ice
Not allowed to bring the puck back

But perhaps also shift to :30 second penalty for those types of infractions...
I would shift all 2 minutes for better called 1min. Who is thrilled to see second PP wave on the ice?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Turns out women are not really into the PWHL

I wonder why :sarcasm:

1000006235.jpg

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yeah this is easily circumvented by firing the puck back to the goaltender.
Teams will simply change the way they play.
Possession will still be King.

They need an over and back rule like in basketball. Once you cross the half court line, ball can't go back into defensive half in any manner unless the opponent brings it there, or the ball becomes a live ball (swatted in back half by opponent's attempted steal, off the basket rebound, etc).

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Scrap OT altogether again. If there’s a tie after 60 use a panel of Travis Yost, JFresh, and the Sportsnet dummy to decide which team won based on xG. Each team will have the ability to appeal xG decisions, but Bettman won’t reveal the appeal results until the end of the season. This will ensure maximum playoff race intrigue during the entire season and thus record ratings and profits.

Reactions: ReHabs

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Only one free agent left who scored 20 or more points last season and is under 30 years old: Filip Zadina. Among the over 30's is Max Pacioretty (36 in November). Wonder if it's the end of the trail for him?

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Ilya Kovalchuk looked good today. I would take him back instead of washed up player like Dvorak, Dumb Donkey and Gallagher, especially Gallagher.

Last edited:
Reactions: the valiant effort

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Only one free agent left who scored 20 or more points last season and is under 30 years old: Filip Zadina. Among the over 30's is Max Pacioretty (36 in November). Wonder if it's the end of the trail for him?
He was still effective a couple of years ago but that was before the debilitating injuries and the natural decline that comes with aging.

Maybe a team takes a chance on him by training camp but i personally think that he is done and should call it quits.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I wasn’t high on Zadina in his draft year, but I’d consider a PTO or minimum contract. See if there’s something that made him a top-10 prospect a few years ago can be rejuvenated.

Reactions: Runner77

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I wasn’t high on Zadina in his draft year, but I’d consider a PTO or minimum contract. See if there’s something that made him a top-10 prospect a few years ago can be rejuvenated.
Honestly, with all that we heard about him already, the fact that a young player like that does not even get an offer speaks volumes. Imagine, even Galchenyuk was getting offers every year...

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Honestly, with all that we heard about him already, the fact that a young player like that does not even get an offer speaks volumes. Imagine, even Galchenyuk was getting offers every year...

Oh, I understand. No idea if Zadina has general attitude, off-ice or coaching issues and for a young kid not yet finding his way can be a concern. However if the issue is just confidence and perhaps opportunity, that’d be worth a try IMO.

But yeah, a mid-20s player, drafted top-10 and still unsigned can be a red flag.

Reactions: Paddyjack

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Galchenyuk averaged 45 pts a year in his under 25 years. He was a good PP player, too and could play all 3 forward positions. Zadina's best season is 24 points. He's a total bust.

Galchenyuk went down hill after his lifestyle, (drinking, drugs, partying) caught up to him. He was a decent secondary offensive player before all that. He turned into another Chris Higgins, although with even more problems.

Zadina never had it to lose it. He just sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad