Speculation: Our Next Head Coach(es)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Everyone in Buffalo media is saying that the Sabres and Babcock are discussing contract particulars today.

I'm not surprised. I am surprised that he'd want to go to such a destination though.

Has Edmonton named Todd the coach yet? It's about 50 past 2PM mountain time. They were supposed to announce it then. Was that just a bogus report?

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
I'm not surprised. I am surprised that he'd want to go to such a destination though.

Has Edmonton named Todd the coach yet? It's about 50 past 2PM mountain time. They were supposed to announce it then. Was that just a bogus report?

Yes it was done officially this afternoon.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
As it relates to those saying they don't want to upset the apple cart regarding compensation for DeBoer, add another team to the list of those ok with the idea of compensation. Toronto Asst GM Kyle Dubas said earlier today that that Leafs want to develop coaches that opposing teams will want to hire and pay compensation (draft picks) for. So I think we are seeing a rapidly changing landscape as it relates to coaching hires. Detroit, San Jose, and Boston have all said they are seeking or will seek compensation for hires. Add Toronto to the mix now.

https://twitter.com/jonasTSN1050/status/600749232463577088

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
As it relates to those saying they don't want to upset the apple cart regarding compensation for DeBoer, add another team to the list of those ok with the idea of compensation. Toronto Asst GM Kyle Dubas said earlier today that that Leafs want to develop coaches that opposing teams will want to hire and pay compensation (draft picks) for. So I think we are seeing a rapidly changing landscape as it relates to coaching hires. Detroit, San Jose, and Boston have all said they are seeking or will seek compensation for hires. Add Toronto to the mix now.

https://twitter.com/jonasTSN1050/status/600749232463577088

I do think there is a difference though between hiring a coach from the minors of an organization that is waiting for an NHL coaching job as opposed to an NHL head coach who has been fired by the time and is just still on the payroll. The first I could totally see getting compensation for but the second I don't think you should. Just my humble opinion.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

He gets a young team he can mold from scratch, he'll get autonomy over say-to-day call-ups and decisions (Murray often leaves Buffalo to personally scout players, and it's noted that Babcock didn't like Holland deciding which players got call ups and which ones didn't), and they can give him more money than God.

Really, after seeing how hard the Pegula family went after Rex Ryan it shouldn't surprise anyone that they'd do whatever it took to bring a rock star hockey coach to Buffalo as well.

The Sabres worst days are behind them. They paid their dues and are now preparing for compete mode. Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, Girgensons, Zadorov, and company would make any coach's mouth water.

GhostofKenKlee

Isn't Babcock out in San Jose? Either way we will find out tomorrow according to his deadline. Listening to Dreger, he thinks it's back to Detroit.

GhostofKenKlee

I'm with you on that, I would be shocked. It's obvious he has made a decision and started to inform teams hence all the hiring that is going down.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm with you on that, I would be shocked. It's obvious he has made a decision and started to inform teams hence all the hiring that is going down.

Doesn't shock me at all he and McLellan are magically winding up where McEichel are. Especially when you factor this in...

@MatthewWGR: A source close to the situation tells me the Sabres' offer is "in the range of $50 million dollars"

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I have said repeatedly Buffalo will not be outbid.

That is blowing the doors off, if true.

After seeing the Pegulas go nuts for Rex that doesn't shock me either though I figured at least one other team (Toronto or Philly) would try to throw around silly money too, for all we know maybe they did and were rebuffed.

Khione

Swede or Turnip?
Jul 24, 2013
Duna
Doesn't shock me at all he and McLellan are magically winding up where McEichel are. Especially when you factor this in...

@MatthewWGR: A source close to the situation tells me the Sabres' offer is "in the range of $50 million dollars"

Nothing about the years?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
4joFr8k.png

we got this, guys

(and no, I didn't change it)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Nothing about the years?

Most likely around 4-5 years. No way it is super long. Don't know any coach that wants to be locked in for longer then that.

Wings seemed ready to give him $4 million a year. If Buffalo really offers him almost double that...that would be literally insane.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol now Toronto is back in the Babcock bidding war, I was right after all

mike30

Jul 17, 2014
New York
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m2 minutes ago
To pass the time. In other coaching news, Randy Carlyle spoke with the Sharks this week. Adam Oates is talking with Wilson today.

this might be a dumb question but who is Wilson?

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m2 minutes ago
To pass the time. In other coaching news, Randy Carlyle spoke with the Sharks this week. Adam Oates is talking with Wilson today.

this might be a dumb question but who is Wilson?

Doug Wilson, Sharks GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad