Speculation: Our Next Head Coach(es)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wonder if Shero would go off the board for a coach like the Flyers did?

Ugh I really hope not.

I'd like to see him make a splash. That splash isn't necessarily Babcock.

The second biggest splash is on his way to the smoldering oil tanker fire.

Paul MacLean or Randy Carlyle might classify as a splash though! If not, there's always the guy I voted for. Peter Horachek.:sarcasm:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Would Hynes be considered off the board?

I'm sure Shero is pretty familiar with him given the Pittsburgh and USA hockey connections, so I'm not sure that would really be off the board for him. Looking through Hynes' playing and coaching history he seems very much like a Devils hire. Played at BU, assistant coach in college with UMass Lowell and Wisconsin, head coach of the USNTDP, assistant and now head coach for the Pens AHL affiliate.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
If Babcock stays with the Wings my first call is to speak with there current AHL coach. His options with the Wings just closed long term he might be much more willing to leave at that point.

I would like Jeff Blashill or John Hynes

Khione

Swede or Turnip?
Jul 24, 2013
Duna
If Babcock stays with the Wings my first call is to speak with there current AHL coach. His options with the Wings just closed long term he might be much more willing to leave at that point.

I would like Jeff Blashill or John Hynes

Agreed. Get a kindergarten coach for all of our babies. Let them grow toghter. Sign Stevens as assistant and let the new coach pick his assistent for the forwards. Let Albelin stay also.

GhostofKenKlee

Shero also hired Michel Therrien when he was with the Penguins. as much as he loves this Hynes guy, apparently so do the Penguins. The Johnson/Rutherford debacle could end next season. It's one thing to let go of a GM you are paying to not be a GM, it's another thing to move an AHL coach you keep in the mix.

McClellan took the job in Edmonton. There are still four jobs open and potentially five if Babcock bolts.

Forget the Walrus or Carlyle. With the former reminding me of DeBoer and Carlyle is a guy who doesn't get rave reviews as a coach. Peter Horachek seems like the Prince of Darkness, where he goes bad things/results follow.

How about mad dog Madden? An assistant in FLA? Dineen? The list goes on...

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Shero also hired Michel Therrien when he was with the Penguins. as much as he loves this Hynes guy, apparently so do the Penguins. The Johnson/Rutherford debacle could end next season. It's one thing to let go of a GM you are paying to not be a GM, it's another thing to move an AHL coach you keep in the mix.

McClellan took the job in Edmonton. There are still four jobs open and potentially five if Babcock bolts.

Forget the Walrus or Carlyle. With the former reminding me of DeBoer and Carlyle is a guy who doesn't get rave reviews as a coach. Peter Horachek seems like the Prince of Darkness, where he goes bad things/results follow.

How about mad dog Madden? An assistant in FLA? Dineen? The list goes on...

Not that I think that'd be a realistic scenario, but god I'd love for Johnny Madden to be back in the organization.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
I just finished TooToo's book and he sure wasn't the biggest fan of Babcock. Not that I would not hire the guy because of what Tootoo said but it would be interesting to see if Tootoo would get a real chance under Babcock if he came here.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No to Dineen, he's terrible!

He lost the room in Florida almost as fast as he got them to the playoffs in his first year there.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Does anyone know anything about Hynes coaching style/philosophy or his systems? I haven't really heard of him until his name was thrown out as a possible Shero hire, but I don't follow the AHL much.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That joker Horachek got Florida playing 500 (or maybe even slightly over) hockey after he took over for Dineen two years ago. And it's not like Dineen has done anything at the NHL level to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And if the new head coach can pick his assistants, can he fire Foligno please?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Does anyone know anything about Hynes coaching style/philosophy or his systems? I haven't really heard of him until his name was thrown out as a possible Shero hire, but I don't follow the AHL much.

A blurb from the article/link above:

He is known as a coach that can get the most out of his players defensively, a skill that would jive nicely with the Devils reputation as defensive stalwarts. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton has led the AHL with the fewest goals against in the last three seasons and in four of Hynes’ five years.

GhostofKenKlee

Problem is Hynes being released from his contract. Same goes for any Shero loyalist still being employed in the Penguins front office, whether it is Guerin/Martin/Fitzgerald etc.....

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

This is nothing new though, as it's just sourcing the Larry Brooks report which so far is the only source I've heard about the Devils being interested in Hynes.

The Baby Pens were eliminated from the playoffs a week ago, so nothing stopping Shero from moving on him if he's the top candidate. I think the Devils are first waiting to see where Babcock lands and go from there. If he winds up in St. Louis the Devils may have interest in Hitchcock. I'm sure Shero wants to get a bit more settled in NJ as well.

I'm surprised (to an extent) on the lack of information/speculation that's out there regarding NJ's head coach. In many articles about the coaching carousel it doesn't even come up that the Devils even have a vacancy.

GhostofKenKlee

Babcock said he will make his decision by the 20th, which is tommorrow as the Red Wings have a "Deadline" of this weekend.

GhostofKenKlee

all you need to know about they operate is the Shero announcement and it still continues.

The good thing, peoples predictions are just as valid as any beat writers/hockey pundits when it comes to the Devils.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Shero didn't get back from the worlds until late last night so today was his first day in the offices in Newark - he's probably busy today picking out what color he wants his office painted and new furniture....

really - we're all starved for some media attention out of NJ but the beat writers haven't been giving us anything either - yet Babcock was rumored to be talking to every team out there without a coach, EXCEPT NJ, unless you believe Eklund....even team with coaches were talking to him....

Shero did seem to hint that he was hoping to have a coach in place by the end of the month that's another 10 days and if he's really after Hynes, well, he's still coaching right now....

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Shero didn't get back from the worlds until late last night so today was his first day in the offices in Newark - he's probably busy today picking out what color he wants his office painted and new furniture....

really - we're all starved for some media attention out of NJ but the beat writers haven't been giving us anything either - yet Babcock was rumored to be talking to every team out there without a coach, EXCEPT NJ, unless you believe Eklund....even team with coaches were talking to him....

Shero did seem to hint that he was hoping to have a coach in place by the end of the month that's another 10 days and if he's really after Hynes, well, he's still coaching right now....

I thought it was by the Draft not the end of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad