Speculation: Our Next Head Coach(es)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Does he really need permission to leave for a promotion?

He is under contract, we need permission to speak with him. But some of the Pens fans believe that they wont stop him from getting a promotion. Its just hard to swallow given their coaching situation.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What the hell makes Paul MacLean so good? It also appears that he isn't that great with youth either.

GhostofKenKlee

I read the Penguins board and they said Shero was interested in bringing over alot of his guys. The question is whether the Penguins would allow alot of these moves. Because Rutherford has one more year on his deal. Alot of those who hung around and probably gunning for his job on some level. (Martin, Guerin, Fitzgerald).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He is under contract, we need permission to speak with him. But some of the Pens fans believe that they wont stop him from getting a promotion. Its just hard to swallow given their coaching situation.

Exactly. They seem to want Johnston gone and Hynes to take over. Though that is just the fanbase. Rutherford may have different ideas.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Here's something to think about; if PDB is hired, we can seek compensation. Now, it's not commonly done but we know Detroit is and word is San Jose is as well. With other teams setting the precedent, I think we should do it. It may only be a third but we need all the picks we can get. Could work out as a little something extra to help in the rebuild.

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Here's something to think about; if PDB is hired, we can seek compensation. Now, it's not commonly done but we know Detroit is and word is San Jose is as well. With other teams setting the precedent, I think we should do it. It may only be a third but we need all the picks we can get. Could work out as a little something extra to help in the rebuild.

If we hire a coach first then sure do it. If we charge a team comp for Deboer it will be done right back to us with whomever we hire.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Absolutely not...we just signed Shero without compensation and we're going to demand it for Pete?

That's not how you play nice in the sandbox...and considering how many moves we have to make in the next couple of years alienating anyone is just bad business.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Absolutely not...we just signed Shero without compensation and we're going to demand it for Pete?

That's not how you play nice in the sandbox...and considering how many moves we have to make in the next couple of years alienating anyone is just bad business.

Agree with this.

Besides, the Devils demanding compensation for Pete might make teams more hesitant to hire him, making it harder for him to find another job. I'm not sure we want to be known as an organization that makes it difficult for former employees to find jobs. I just don't think the third round pick is worth the potential alienation of people and other franchises.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Compensation for coaches will probably end up being like offer sheets. It's always an option, but most GMs won't do it because they'll piss somebody off they may have to deal with down the line.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lou didn't even hold Calgary up on Sutter when there was borderline tampering, we're not going to hold up Pete.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Compensation for coaches will probably end up being like offer sheets. It's always an option, but most GMs won't do it because they'll piss somebody off they may have to deal with down the line.

Detroit is doing it right now with Babcock.

Pitt is going to do it with Hynes if that is who Shero really wants.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We fired him. Asking for compensation would be ridiculous.

Agreed.

If anything, we should be paying teams to take the last year of his contract off our payroll.

I'm expecting this Babcock thing to be over pretty soon. Would be funny if it goes for months like the Kovalchik saga.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Agreed.

If anything, we should be paying teams to take the last year of his contract off our payroll.

I'm expecting this Babcock thing to be over pretty soon. Would be funny if it goes for months like the Kovalchik saga.

And I think he stays in Detroit basically wasting everyone's time.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I understand Detroit seeking compensation for Babcock since he's much more in demand and they would be letting teams speak to him while he is under contract and they actually would be interested in re-signing him (rather than having fired him).

I also think it would be understandable if Pittsburg sought compensation for Hynes going from a minor league position with them to an NHL head coaching gig with the Devils, since they'd be losing someone under contract whose services at least as a minor league coach they'd be interested in retaining. Besides, they just let us have Shero, so I can see them not wanting us poaching everything.

I just feel like seeking compensation for the guy you fired is different than seeking compensation for a person you would otherwise be gainfully employing in your organization. :dunno:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What happened to the old rule of not announcing major news during the playoffs?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Did you click? The story is Mclellon to Edmonton. haha
Haha yeah. Just imagining Pete to San Jose made me cringe though.:laugh:

And I'm surprised McLellan wants to waste his time up there. They've had like 6 or 7 head coaches in Edmonton, just since he's been in San Jose. Most of them were garbage or rookies with not a lot of experience, but it's still weird he's going there.
What happened to the old rule of not announcing major news during the playoffs?

It's been going on for years now.

Patrick Roy announced his retirement when we were playing Anaheim in the 03 SCF. That was one of the first I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad