Speculation: Our Next Head Coach(es)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
If PDB couldn't win with that roster he should not be allowed to coach again. Ever. I say that about any coach with that roster. Only challenge on that roster was Mike Smith but even he looked decent.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Looks like petey wins gold at the world cup.

Good for him. I wish him well whenever he isn't facing the Devils (as I said), but he just wasn't working here at this point.

Hopefully whoever is hired this off-season as the Devils coach can do well. That's the most important thing for me.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
He wasn't when he won the memorial cup? Or when he was two time coach of the year in OHL? That is probably a bigger deal than the meaningless World Championships.

I didn't mean it in that way. Maybe I should have worded it differently. Meant he is a winner now as in lately he has had a losing record, "but he is a winner now". I did make a case of the memorial cup a few months ago, showing that he could win, so I know what you mean. Although that teams roster was pretty loaded.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
He wasn't when he won the memorial cup? Or when he was two time coach of the year in OHL? That is probably a bigger deal than the meaningless World Championships.

And you use the word meaningless? A medal will always hold value and will always take any precedence over any currency. You can always trade it in for the value itself. Those players still had to invest 2 weeks of their life for that tournament.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I see Deboer winning a cup within 5 years if he gets to coach a team like the Sharks.

He could really boost up the Flyers. They have had bad coaching for years, and are an offensively talented team. Would not be good for the Devils if Deboer stayed in the Metropolitan.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
DeBoer winning a Cup with the Sharks wouldn't even prove that he was the right coach for the Devils in a post Parise and Kovy state, so it wouldn't somehow vindicate Pete's post-2012 Devil tenure in my eyes. I wish Pete well except when facing the Devils, but I'm not missing him and really just focusing on whom are next head coach will be.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Deboer has missed the playoffs 6 of his 7 seasons as a head coach. The only time he made it he had two superstars and a 30 goal scoring David Clarkson.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Deboer has missed the playoffs 6 of his 7 seasons as a head coach. The only time he made it he had two superstars and a 30 goal scoring David Clarkson.

thats all that needs to be said.

he also almost lost to one of the worst playoff teams in recent memory in the first round.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Good for him. I wish him well whenever he isn't facing the Devils (as I said), but he just wasn't working here at this point.

Hopefully whoever is hired this off-season as the Devils coach can do well. That's the most important thing for me.

I don't have any animosity toward him really, it's more the constant hype he gets from a lot of different quarters coupled with a questionable record that makes him such a lightning rod.

If it wasn't going to send Bleed to the loony bin I'd be hoping he'd get the Sharks job, then we could do away with the excuses Pete's gotten at his first two stops once and for all.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

I definitely don't think it's likely DeBoer wins a Cup soon, but even if he did, it wouldn't change my opinion that the Devils needed to move on from him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I definitely don't think it's likely DeBoer wins a Cup soon, but even if he did, it wouldn't change my opinion that the Devils needed to move on from him.

Depends on what his next job is. Can I really see him winning in Edmonton? I don't know about that, even with Chiarelli upstairs and McDavid on the way in. Can I see him winning in Philly? Ehhh, depends how fast they overhaul their D I guess. I can see him winning in San Jose but I can also see him not winning cause it's not like anyone else has won big there.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Depends on what his next job is. Can I really see him winning in Edmonton? I don't know about that, even with Chiarelli upstairs and McDavid on the way in. Can I see him winning in Philly? Ehhh, depends how fast they overhaul their D I guess. I can see him winning in San Jose but I can also see him not winning cause it's not like anyone else has won big there.

It's possible he could win in San Jose (I thought Pete was actually a pretty good playoff coach that one year he made the playoffs), but somehow my gut feels like that team is going down, not up.

I don't know how Philly and Edmonton will develop, but I feel like the coach they hire now probably wouldn't be with them when they could become real contenders given coach longevity. But nobody ever knows what will happen, so this is all guesswork:D

elindholm

Jun 3, 2013
I'd like to see PDB win a cup wherever he goes. Even if he goes back to Jr. With a decent team, he'll do a good job for his next team.

Some folks would like to see Hitch come here if he is jettisoned by St. louis. Why? He's had an excellent team for years, always picked to go all the way, but never made to passed 2nd round. Therefore, No thanks!

I heard J.R. talking pu Travis Green from Utica he'd like to see as Flyers coach. Why not here?

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I wouldn't mind Hitchcock coming here because at the very least we know he'd be competent, and he has won a Stanley Cup, which is more than that core on the St. Louis roster can say (so I assume they are as much to blame or more for the failures of the past few years--only Blue I was impressed with in the playoffs was Tarasenko, and to me, that's on the players, not Hitchcock). It's not like Hitchcock is some bad omen who prevents a team from winning.

Don't know anything about Travis Green so I have no idea how he'd do here.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Didn't Bill Belichick miss the playoffs his first 6 seasons as a head coach?
Apparently he needed Tom Brady to become a good coach?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I see Deboer winning a cup within 5 years if he gets to coach a team like the Sharks.

He could really boost up the Flyers. They have had bad coaching for years, and are an offensively talented team. Would not be good for the Devils if Deboer stayed in the Metropolitan.

Umm what?

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

San Jose is about to go into a rebuild anyway. Thornton and Marleau are on their last legs and their goalie situation isn't anything special. I'm not sure he would even make the playoffs with them, at least not for a few years.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Didn't Bill Belichick miss the playoffs his first 6 seasons as a head coach?
Apparently he needed Tom Brady to become a good coach?

To Belichick's fairness he turned around a terrible Cleveland team and made the playoffs in his 4th season there and then in the 5th the it was announced the Browns were going to Baltimore and it did not go well for the entire team(can't blame him at all). It took two years for him to win a championship in New England. Not really comparable IMO.

It is what it is. He's gone now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hope Deboer stays in the metro. We'd never be out of a game against his team since no lead is ever safe with that clown. We'd rack up some serious loser points.

I hope that crew in Philly is dumb enough to hire him. I still don't see him getting a head coaching stint in the league again, without serving some time as an assistant first. Too many candidates and not enough jobs. He has a very bad resume too.

And so what? Pete won gold as an assistant coach?

Mike Smith won gold as that team's starting goaltender. Mike Smith ****ing sucks ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad