Speculation: Our Next Head Coach(es)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why can't see like Jersey? Why does she have to like NYC or bust? IT's like when players with families sign in Philly they end up liking Jersey because that's where they live.

Let's be honest, not only is NYC glamour, it's well-known so you pretty much have an idea whether you'd want to live there or not before you ever decide to come. People don't know how much they'll like Jersey till they actually live here or unless they grew up/have family here.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I think we need some actual coach developments soon. Or else it will be off topic around here haha. Knowing the organization they will keep it silent till the last minute. No hints.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I don't think Babcock would come here. What is it about this group of players that would attract a coach with options?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think we need some actual coach developments soon. Or else it will be off topic around here haha. Knowing the organization they will keep it silent till the last minute. No hints.

Well it's really Shero's first big move, so any preconceived notions we had about the coaching search when Lou was the GM really go out the window now, and we'll see how it's handled.

Shero already admitted he'd prefer to have a coach in place before the draft for example (which is still a month plus away anyway), while Lou always pulled his 'it's not important to have a coach in place before the draft/FA' and 'when you have time you use it'.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think Babcock would come here. What is it about this group of players that would attract a coach with options?

Not that I think he's coming here, but I don't think the Devils are this horrible destination that some people make them out to be.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Unless he's going to San Jose - which doesn't seem interested in meeting his price - or staying in Detroit, where's he going to wind up that's infinitely more talented than us? Yes Edmonton and Buffalo have McEichel but he could feel we're farther along in rebuilding. St. Louis and Boston are still in limbo vis-a-vis actually making a change atm.

Or he could want to come for off-ice reasons (money, location).

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Unless he's going to San Jose - which doesn't seem interested in meeting his price - or staying in Detroit, where's he going to wind up that's infinitely more talented than us? Yes Edmonton and Buffalo have McEichel but he could feel we're farther along in rebuilding. St. Louis and Boston are still in limbo vis-a-vis actually making a change atm.

Or he could want to come for off-ice reasons (money, location).

They have more overall talent, i dont think anyone would argue that.

But location and money always play a factor. Another one is travel. We offer more chances for him to be home with his family every night. The Flyers also. Which also may be a factor for his wife.

He did say at more then one point she was the boss. If she wants NYC and the Devils will pay he might agree. But i just dont see it happening. I feel like he doesnt want to jump in to a situation that needs the time we need to be fully back.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I just don't see the Flyers and Babcock being a match philosophically...not with their caveman 'Broad Street Bullies' persona and Babcock being the direct opposite of that (not having one-dimensional goons at all in Detroit). Not unless Ed Snider pulls a '**** it, I'm 82 years old and I want to win now' and shelves their forty-year old philosophy to bring in Babcock.

GhostofKenKlee

From what I understand, his children are going to school out east and he has said that Saskatoon would always be his home in the end. He has also said that Detroit will always be home to his children. Maybe a lighter travel schedule and closer (relatively) to his children matters to him. So in that regard, it makes sense an eastern team.

Also, alot of the vibe you guys give off is a negative one. He's a young great goalie and a franchise that (traditionally) that has been up there with the Red Wings. With owners with deep pockets and little or no media pressure and lower taxes than Toronto would be.

GhostofKenKlee

I just don't see the Flyers and Babcock being a match philosophically...not with their caveman 'Broad Street Bullies' persona and Babcock being the direct opposite of that (not having one-dimensional goons at all in Detroit). Not unless Ed Snider pulls a '**** it, I'm 82 years old and I want to win now' and shelves their forty-year old philosophy to bring in Babcock.

Yeah, he waited patiently (Snider) for his prodigal son to return (Hextall) and no way he bangs him out.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

I don't either but if they'll pay he'll go.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Babcock (doctors would warn about suffocation risks), but a lot of the media speculation about Babcock has proven to be nothing but blowing hot air, so I'm not going to state definitively where he will or won't go until the dust has settled and we see where he lands.

Either way, it does sound like our owners are willing to pay good money to get the best coach they can. I think we could end up with a good coach even if it isn't Babcock.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't either but if they'll pay he'll go.

Probably but I'd imagine Toronto would make a big-money offer as well. Or Pegula in Buffalo (god knows he gave Rex Ryan a fat enough contract). Maybe even we would in a post-Lou world. I don't know if it's a situation where one team's going to absolutely blow up the market money-wise.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well I don't know if Shero is even after him.

But if Babcock has interest in buffalo, Toronto, or the oilers then he is obviously game for a project team in a rebuild.

The sale here is just different. What do you prefer to coach up and trust a GM to fix? Promising forward prospects and a need to fix a blueline and goalie? Or a promising blueline with a top 5 goalie with the need to fix the forwards?

You can sell the net out approach and maybe he buys it? It's not an impossible sell

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Let me rephrase the question.

What does this franchise have to offer that another doesn't?

We offer a defense and a goalie. Buffalo offers forwards. It depends on what he thinks is the better first steps on top of crazy money.

Every team talking to Babcock that isn't Detroit is selling dreams and promises. There is so hardcore set in stone backbone in buffalo and Toronto...idk even know what they offer.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
We offer a defense and a goalie. Buffalo offers forwards. It depends on what he thinks is the better first steps on top of crazy money.

Buffalo has some good young D men also. Might not as far along but still good players.

They dont seem to have a goalie however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad