Speculation: Our Next Head Coach(es)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Plenty of teams can out bid them. IF a team will is another question (Leafs might).

Not sure money is the only factor though.

And if money were the only factor, I don't think Babcock would end up leaving Detroit. Money hasn't been an issue for the Red Wings as long as they've been owned by the Illitch family, and in my opinion Holland has made it pretty clear that he's willing to match any offer another team presents monetarily. If Babcock leaves Detroit, I don't believe it will be for money.

Wherever he signs, he will be the highest paid coach by quite a margin, but I don't think that money will be the reason he signs in one particular place. Since coach salary doesn't count against the cap and the Illitch family hasn't been shy about spending money on the Red Wings, I don't see why Detroit would be outbid money-wise in a Babcock sweepstakes. Just my perspective, but I find it silly when reporters assume that Toronto could afford to pay Babcock but Detroit couldn't.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The more I think about it, the more I think the Flyers could really be a player for Babcock. They're not a team going into a rebuild like Toronto. They're not in the middle of a rebuild like Edmonton or Buffalo. They've got some good pieces at forward and some good young defense prospects coming up. You know they can pay Babcock what he wants. It's a destination for free agents. And if he is looking for a new challenge to cement his legacy, winning a Cup for the Flyers for the first time in 40 years would certainly do that. And they don't quite have the media circus that a place like Toronto does.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm curious to see the young defense, particularly Larsson, in a more up tempo system this year.

GhostofKenKlee

The more I think about it, the more I think the Flyers could really be a player for Babcock. They're not a team going into a rebuild like Toronto. They're not in the middle of a rebuild like Edmonton or Buffalo. They've got some good pieces at forward and some good young defense prospects coming up. You know they can pay Babcock what he wants. It's a destination for free agents. And if he is looking for a new challenge to cement his legacy, winning a Cup for the Flyers for the first time in 40 years would certainly do that. And they don't quite have the media circus that a place like Toronto does.

Flyers are easily overhyped around these parts. They had one win more than the Devils did and their defense is awful. Yes, they have a better forward group but really in the end it doesn't get better than Detroit for him. He has to be careful not to get exposed since he's bringing the hype train with him. Whatever move he makes has to cement his legacy.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Flyers are easily overhyped around these parts. They had one win more than the Devils did and their defense is awful. Yes, they have a better forward group but really in the end it doesn't get better than Detroit for him. He has to be careful not to get exposed since he's bringing the hype train with him. Whatever move he makes has to cement his legacy.

It all depends on what's most important to him. He's not going to get money, control over player personnel, and a ready-made Cup contender all in one job like he seems to want.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
It all depends on what's most important to him. He's not going to get money, control over player personnel, and a ready-made Cup contender all in one job like he seems to want.

Agree with this. Babcock, like any job seeker, is going to have to settle or make compromises about what he wants, since there is ultimately no perfect or ideal job out there. He's just going to have to find the job that bests fits what he wants, and he's lucky to be in a position to have that choice, but there isn't going to be a perfect job out there for him or anyone else. Even in a charmed life, things aren't going to work out like that.

GhostofKenKlee

Than Philly is not the place for him, with Snider/Hextall/Holmgren/Clarke above him. Unless Snider freaks out and rids of Hextall.

I don't know Babcock is grossly overrated, so much hype for one cup and coaching a team that is always competitive before and after him.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Plenty of teams can out bid them. IF a team will is another question (Leafs might).

Not sure money is the only factor though.

Pegula is a billionaire and a rabid Buffalo sports fan. That is a dangerous combination.

I don't think it's the only factor, either. But given Murray's previous work with Babcock and Pegula's fanboyhood and likely desire to fire up the fanbase, I don't think they'll be outbid.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I would pretty much rule out the Flyers on Babcock. Snider is way too hands on.

He's super hands-on, but he's a competitive SOB. And he knows he's not getting younger.

I could see him nailing his hands to his seat and surrendering some power to a guy like Babcock, just so he can finally get his Cup and dot the "i" on his long, long tenure with the Flyers.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think Babcock is the best coach in the league, but I believe that any GM or team that expects him to be a savior or cure-all for their franchise woes will be disappointed. Like any coach, Babcock will need good horses to go any distance in the playoffs and at least decent horses to make the playoffs. If Babcock were some talisman of guaranteed success, Detroit wouldn't have been ousted in the first round for three of the past four years (and the biggest reason Detroit wasn't swept by Boston the season before last was a burst of Datsyuk magic that really can't be attributed to coaching, in my opinion). Babcock is the best at what he does, yes, but I don't think that he can turn around a franchise all by himself, and he'll probably do irreparable damage to his coaching legacy if that's what he tries to do.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
All things seem to be pointing to Todd McLellan taking the Oliers job.

No idea if he is reliable but Michael Grosso is saying the Flyers have significant interest in Deboer and Eakins.

Also Babcock is down to Buffalo or the Leafs.

Again no idea how reliable any of that is. But with the big two falling it will get interesting with everyone else and the other teams. Teams that have coaches and those that might fire a coach.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
All things seem to be pointing to Todd McLellan taking the Oliers job.

No idea if he is reliable but Michael Grosso is saying the Flyers have significant interest in Deboer and Eakins.

Also Babcock is down to Buffalo or the Leafs.

Again no idea how reliable any of that is. But with then big two fall it will get interesting with everyone else and the other teams. Teams that have coaches and those that might fire a coach or two.

Need to back up with some sources. Read nothing substantial on Babcock and that he still might go back to Detroit.

Still lot of uncertainity with Julian and Hitchcock as well.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Again guys this isn't a baseless rumor mill. Have to have some real sources to post something, or have to point out that it is speculation.

Last I read is that only interviews have taken place. Those are facts.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Still hoping for Tom Renney, would be fine with Tippett, Boucher or the Wilkes-Barre coach. I really hope the Flyers hire Lead DeBlower.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Need to back up with some sources. Read nothing substantial on Babcock and that he still might go back to Detroit.

Still lot of uncertainity with Julian and Hitchcock as well.

Sorry the computer i am on i dont have access to twitter.

Its Michael Grosso for the Deboer and Eakens. The first was worded wrong by me. He said that the Leafs and buffalo are the front runners for Babock but that he is done with the Wings. Again NO IDEA if he is reliable.

Greg Wyshynski said that unless there is a Major Collapse Todd McLellan will coach the Oilers

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Sorry the computer i am on i dont have access to twitter.

Its Michael Grosso @********** for the Deboer and Eakens. The first was worded wrong by me. He said that the Leafs and buffalo are the front runners for Babock but that he is done with the Wings. Again NO IDEA if he is reliable.

Greg Wyshynski said that unless there is a Major Collapse Todd McLellan will coach the Oilers

Ya not sure if Grosso is reliable. Fact his twitter handle is blocked says a lot to me.

There are plenty of stories that Babcock has interviewed with both the Leafs and Sabres at this point.

Mclellan has definitely interviewed with the Oilers and haven't heard anything else so that might be true.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 33m33 minutes ago
Todd McLellan to coach Edmonton barring 'major collapse': Report http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...136.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=tw … via @YahooSports

Puck Daddy is citing Friedman

Surprised McLellan didn't interview anywhere else. Heard only the Oilers interviewed him at this point.

Fine since wasn't interested.

I do think Shero is expecting some firings to happen and that is what he wants.

GhostofKenKlee

DeBoer was interview in Edmonton, my personal belief is he goes to Buffalo/Toronto or Philadelphia as plan B in the babcock sweepstakes.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
DeBoer was interview in Edmonton, my personal belief is he goes to Buffalo/Toronto or Philadelphia as plan B in the babcock sweepstakes.

My personal belief is that Dumbeor goes NOWHERE (at least not as a head coach in the NHL) because he sucks, his resume is trash, and there's too many better options and not enough jobs.

I hope the Flyers hire him though. I always said I could see them hiring him since we always pushed their head in **** during his time coaching us.

There's one team that will continue to suck, if that's the case. I hope they re sign Emery too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad