Speculation: Our Next Head Coach(es)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Don't think Babcock is coming to NJ, but I also think he would be unwise to go to a rebuild like Buffalo or Edmonton when he could go to a team that with a push might be able to be contenders like St. Louis or possibly San Jose. It's like how Bowman's least productive years were in Buffalo but it was a shrewd move for him to go to Detroit, a team that used to be known for being talented chokers. That's my take. I'm not saying that Babcock won't go to Buffalo or Edmonton, but I just believe it would be a bad decision. It will take quite a bit of time to get those teams back into the playoffs, nonetheless into contenders, and who knows if they don't become the new chokers?

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Money won't be an issue for Babock. Any team that wants him will pay whatever he wants. We have the ownership with deep enough pockets to pay him that but so do most other teams that have vacancies. I really don't think he'd come here but I think the wildcard is our organizational philosophy. We're very loyal and structured like Detroit in that respect. Now, obviously we're different than Detroit on a player/personnel front but our culture is widely respected around the league. I could see that being something attractive to him as well as other coaching candidates. That being said, I don't expect him here but at least his hiring should be done in the next couple of weeks so we can put that story to bed.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
The problem with Edmonton is that you have to coach and live in Edmonton. Babcock's son is going to Merrimack and his kids grew up/live in the U.S. I would be pretty shocked if he leaves for Siberia to coach a bunch of kids. A lot more goes into the decision than just which team has a nice prospect pool.

GhostofKenKlee

Boston or Jersey. He has said Saskatoon will always be home and that his father worked all around the world.

GhostofKenKlee

Why would anyone want to go to either Loser organization? Edmonton is a hot mess and Buffalo is a joke after the stunt they pulled this past season. I don't care what players they have, the fact they pull sheningans. I hope Eichel values education and a degree.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Why would anyone want to go to either Loser organization? Edmonton is a hot mess and Buffalo is a joke after the stunt they pulled this past season. I don't care what players they have, the fact they pull sheningans. I hope Eichel values education and a degree.

like it or not, we've been down there with those two teams the past few years....

GhostofKenKlee

Sorry, but both of those organizations are in another vortex. Any team that rids of a goalie because they played too good for their liking is bat**** crazy (enroth). Edmonton is a gong show with multiple first rounders and nothing good to show for it.

Buffalo got worse (intentionally) and ditto Edmonton. While the Devils have had issues, those guys are one or two notches below.

GhostofKenKlee

Babcock is easily the most overhyped coach. I get he's had a winning record in Detroit and two cup appearances and one Stanley Cup. This LeBron James antic is really something.

While I get they have been competitive, it looks like he's jumping ship and cited the older core of the RedWings. There has to be a very good reason for him to want to leave Detroit since he rejected a reported five million a year.

What exactly has he done to want this reported LL type job in an organization? Perhaps he should seek a GM position first.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Babcock doesn't have a better place to go than Detroit in my opinion.

He wants to go to an established team and win...probably the closest thing is San Jose, possibly Boston but even those teams are trending way down. I honestly don't see a better situation for Babcock than Detroit. Unless the idea of coaching a generational talent like McDavid is enticing to him. I think Babcock should stay put if he knows what's good for him.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
A couple names I've been looking at that intrigue me are John Stevens who is the associate head coach in LA and John Hynes who has coached the baby penguins since 2010. I don't want to go the route of a coach who has washed out else where, I prefer a young gun who is driven and hungry to make a name and can develop young talent.

Dale Hunter also intrigues me for some reason...

GhostofKenKlee

He wants to go to an established team and win...probably the closest thing is San Jose, possibly Boston but even those teams are trending way down. I honestly don't see a better situation for Babcock than Detroit. Unless the idea of coaching a generational talent like McDavid is enticing to him. I think Babcock should stay put if he knows what's good for him.

how many franchises are going to give him the "mike holmgren" treatment? Only one I've seen close to getting what he wants in hockey is Lou in terms of roles and discretion and he inserted himself in that role. That's just a disaster waiting to happen.

Looks like he's ready to move on from Detroit unless he seeks more money. I agree it doesn't get better than the situation in Detroit, great owners and a GM that keeps the team buzzing along.

San Jose is so overhyped as a franchise and while coaching a McDavid could entice him, what does he really know about him?

Boston is a good fit and apparently his kids are starting college perhaps being on the Eastern seaboard entices his family. Maybe the Mrs. sees it as a chance to be closer to family.

GhostofKenKlee

A couple names I've been looking at that intrigue me are John Stevens who is the associate head coach in LA and John Hynes who has coached the baby penguins since 2010. I don't want to go the route of a coach who has washed out else where, I prefer a young gun who is driven and hungry to make a name and can develop young talent.

Dale Hunter also intrigues me for some reason...

Hextall tried grabbing him the Kings will not release him (stevens). Dale Hunter was a DISASTER for the Caps.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I agree and hope he stays, allows us to have a chance at Blashill

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Sorry, but both of those organizations are in another vortex. Any team that rids of a goalie because they played too good for their liking is bat**** crazy (enroth). Edmonton is a gong show with multiple first rounders and nothing good to show for it.

Buffalo got worse (intentionally) and ditto Edmonton. While the Devils have had issues, those guys are one or two notches below.

dude without Schneider we would've been right there with Buffalo and Edmonton this past season...

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

If St. Louis opens up thats a team that he might be interested in.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
dude without Schneider we would've been right there with Buffalo and Edmonton this past season...

I think he's more talking about what the organizations have been. Buffalo just clearly tanked, which even at the Devils worst we never did. Edmonton has a ton of talent but cant figure anything out at all and have been horrible for a long time. Their Organizations are a step below. Regardless of the standings.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
If St. Louis opens up thats a team that he might be interested in.

If Babcock does leave Detroit, that's the team that I think would be the best fit for him, honestly. They're a team that could go far in the playoffs if they just figured out how not to choke (so he could be walking into a situation where he could have a nice Cup window basically immediately, rather than have to wait and hope he gambled right in a rebuild like Edmonton or Buffalo).

Not saying that he won't go to Edmonton or Buffalo since I have zero authority on which to base that statement, but that I think it would be a mistake if he left Detroit for Buffalo or Edmonton. He has every right to make that mistake, but that's exactly what I believe it would be--a big mistake.

Either way, though, I don't think Babcock is coming to NJ, so his decision probably only effects us in terms of potentially freeing up Blashill if Babcock re-signs in Detroit or in terms of us being able to grab a coach that would have otherwise gone to the franchise that Babcock signs with if he leaves Detroit. His choice probably only matters to the Devils in terms of ripples rather than because there's any real chance he'll consider coming to this organization right now.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Deboer got fired in New Jersey for basically the same reasons he did in Florida :laugh:

he is stubborn or just not smart enough to adapt his teams style of play.

He was fired in Florida and NJ because the rosters he had to work with werent good enough. He's given a capable roster one year and we end up in the SCF.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He was fired in Florida and NJ because the rosters he had to work with werent good enough. He's given a capable roster one year and we end up in the SCF.

sorry, I dont want to hear that excuse

he missed teh playoffs what, 7 of 8 years he was a coach? something like that?

thats not acceptable.

the year after he left, Florida made the playoffs.

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
Well its a wash then we either get a coach not knowing how or if this team will respond to his system, or we overpay a guy like Babcock (Vigneault if he was available) to GET THE MOST out of the group we have...... I think Babcock can speed up our contention for a playoff spot. I think he is worth it. But as Harris said he wants a return on his investment, thus the Babcock route is unlikely.

Would not be surprised to see Buffalo pay 8mil for him. You saw what Pegula is doing with the Bills?

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Well its a wash then we either get a coach not knowing how or if this team will respond to his system, or we overpay a guy like Babcock (Vigneault if he was available) to GET THE MOST out of the group we have...... I think Babcock can speed up our contention for a playoff spot. I think he is worth it. But as Harris said he wants a return on his investment, thus the Babcock route is unlikely.

Would not be surprised to see Buffalo pay 8mil for him. You saw what Pegula is doing with the Bills?

Wait, you had me up until that part. A ROI as in, he'll pay top dollar expecting top performances? This would imply he'd want Babcock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad