Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
That is why this conference is such a wildcard this year. Relatively young but good young. I don;’t have a strong sense of the order of finish this year. I don’t think any team will run away with it. I think there are 2 or 3 bottom feeders with maybe Sudbury as a leading candidate for first. Then it is a gaggle of teams all bunched up as average to slightly above average.

I could honestly see a scenario where five teams 3rd through 7th are separated by 4 points at the end of the year.
I fully agree on this assessment but do feel that Sudbury is being crowned a bit early. They were a sixth place team last year.

Let’s not forget that Ottawa was the best team in the league in the first half last year WITHOUT an injured Tyler Boucher and Jack Beck. They were also WITHOUT Pavel Mintyukov and Logan Morrison who were acquired midseason.

Their only losses from the team that took them to first are Cam Tolnai, Vinny Rohrer, Anthony Costantini and their leader Jack Matier. All very good players who had question marks going into last season.

IMO Ottawa returns an excellent core of returning skaters and the best Goalie tandem in the league. Uronen looks great so far and they have two open OA slots.

I can see the team dealing Jack Beck and playing this current roster to the division lead at the deadline. They can add two OA’s and a 19 year old.

This is the year to go for it. Next year there will be Missy, Brantford, Sudbury, Oshawa, Barrie and Kingston. Niagara will be better. At this point only Sudbury and possibly North Bay, both in the other division are the only likely contenders.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I fully agree on this assessment but do feel that Sudbury is being crowned a bit early. They were a sixth place team last year.

Let’s not forget that Ottawa was the best team in the league in the first half last year WITHOUT an injured Tyler Boucher and Jack Beck. They were also WITHOUT Pavel Mintyukov and Logan Morrison who were acquired midseason.

Their only losses from the team that took them to first are Cam Tolnai, Vinny Rohrer, Anthony Costantini and their leader Jack Matier. All very good players who had question marks going into last season.

IMO Ottawa returns an excellent core of returning skaters and the best Goalie tandem in the league. Uronen looks great so far and they have two open OA slots.

I can see the team dealing Jack Beck and playing this current roster to the division lead at the deadline. They can add two OA’s and a 19 year old.

This is the year to go for it. Next year there will be Missy, Brantford, Sudbury, Oshawa, Barrie and Kingston. Niagara will be better. At this point only Sudbury and possibly North Bay, both in the other division are the only likely contenders.

With six 2nds and seven 3rds over the next three drafts, Sudbury has the ammo to do some damage on player acquisition. Factoring that into the equation places them as the favourite. They are a pretty deep team with a lot of stud forwards. They will score goals in bunches this season. If their Import pick (Vondras) can shore up their goaltending, I really think they will walk to the Conference lead. They have solid OA’s returning with the ability to potentially add assets through moving at least one of them.

Barrie, Mississauga and Brampton are young but could surprise. North Bay is likely a seller. They will have a decent first half but their second half will likely be weak.

Oshawa, Peterborough and Niagara are battling for the final playoff spot. I give the nod to Oshawa.

Kingston should be good but their final standing will depend on whether they make some deals to add players to make a bit of a push.

I feel Ottawa is strong enough right now even without Beck to win the division. The division is so weak. But, is that an accomplishment considering how weak the division is? Some really easy points to gain this year.

To me, this is shaping up to be a status quo kinda season For Ottawa. They will trade Beck and probably Donoso. They may tinker and add some cheap OA’s where they feel there is a gap (centre). Liar and is a player I would target if they are trying to move in the cheaper circles. I think Sudbury will make him available early. To me, McCallum and Anania are ahead of him in the OA depth chart. Then it is a tossup between him and Toure. It will depend on how their defence shakes down. They also may entertain the OA goalie If they aren’t certain about Vondras.

Reactions: I Loveallsports

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
With six 2nds and seven 3rds over the next three drafts, Sudbury has the ammo to do some damage on player acquisition. Factoring that into the equation places them as the favourite. They are a pretty deep team with a lot of stud forwards. They will score goals in bunches this season. If their Import pick (Vondras) can shore up their goaltending, I really think they will walk to the Conference lead. They have solid OA’s returning with the ability to potentially add assets through moving at least one of them.

Barrie, Mississauga and Brampton are young but could surprise. North Bay is likely a seller. They will have a decent first half but their second half will likely be weak.

Oshawa, Peterborough and Niagara are battling for the final playoff spot. I give the nod to Oshawa.

Kingston should be good but their final standing will depend on whether they make some deals to add players to make a bit of a push.

I feel Ottawa is strong enough right now even without Beck to win the division. The division is so weak. But, is that an accomplishment considering how weak the division is? Some really easy points to gain this year.

To me, this is shaping up to be a status quo kinda season For Ottawa. They will trade Beck and probably Donoso. They may tinker and add some cheap OA’s where they feel there is a gap (centre). Liar and is a player I would target if they are trying to move in the cheaper circles. I think Sudbury will make him available early. To me, McCallum and Anania are ahead of him in the OA depth chart. Then it is a tossup between him and Toure. It will depend on how their defence shakes down. They also may entertain the OA goalie If they aren’t certain about Vondras.
missing the playoffs this will be either Petes or NB and of course Niagara

Kingston is going to depend on Caputi and whether is he able to coach and develop the team. If they are not a top 5 at Christmas or slow out of the gate I think he will be gone. Donoso may be a better fit for Sudbury than Beck

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Kingston is going to depend on Caputi and whether is he able to coach and develop the team. If they are not a top 5 at Christmas or slow out of the gate I think he will be gone. Donoso may be a better fit for Sudbury than Beck

Without a doubt. If Sudbury adds an OA, it is most likely a goaltender. I’m less than 50/50 that they will add any OA’s. Their returning guys are good and the Import Goalie looks decent enough.

Kingston is in that group with Barrie, Mississauga, North Bay, and Brantford. That’s the group that could end up all within 4 points. All of them hanging around 72-76 points.

I think Oshawa will be better than most predict. I’m not 100% solid on this but I really think there will be a gap between Oshawa in 8th and Peterborough/Niagara in 9-10. The Petes may make hay in the first two months though. They’ll have a solid team through November. Then Team Canada takes Beck away and they approach the deadline. After that? Ouchie. Likely all of Beck, Simpson, Lochart and Mayer will be traded. If I had to guess, I would say Oshawa finishes with around 62 points and the Petes/Dogs finish under 50 points each.

It is crazy to think this 67’s team could win the division trading Donoso and Beck and only adding a middling OA Centre. Some years are jsut set up that way. Last season, this team would have struggled to be top 4 In the Conference.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I just don’t see NB in a battle for a playoff spot. More likely Arnsby, Christopolous, Ertel/Zito, DiiVincentis, Nelson, Wakely, Mathurin, VanSteensel, Romani have the Battalion near the top at the Christmas break; then weigh options.
The weakness could be lack of experience at LD, not an extreme lack of goals that many believe.

Without a doubt. If Sudbury adds an OA, it is most likely a goaltender. I’m less than 50/50 that they will add any OA’s. Their returning guys are good and the Import Goalie looks decent enough.
Mayer if available to start, he is a fit for Sudbury on and off ice.
Kingston is in that group with Barrie, Mississauga, North Bay, and Brantford. That’s the group that could end up all within 4 points. All of them hanging around 72-76 points.

I think Oshawa will be better than most predict. I’m not 100% solid on this but I really think there will be a gap between Oshawa in 8th and Peterborough/Niagara in 9-10. The Petes may make hay in the first two months though. They’ll have a solid team through November. Then Team Canada takes Beck away and they approach the deadline. After that? Ouchie. Likely all of Beck, Simpson, Lochart and Mayer will be traded. If I had to guess, I would say Oshawa finishes with around 62 points and the Petes/Dogs finish under 50 points each.

It is crazy to think this 67’s team could win the division trading Donoso and Beck and only adding a middling OA Centre. Some years are jsut set up that way. Last season, this team would have struggled to be top 4 In the Conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I just don’t see NB in a battle for a playoff spot. More likely Arnsby, Christopolous, Ertel/Zito, DiiVincentis, Nelson, Wakely, Mathurin, VanSteensel, Romani have the Battalion near the top at the Christmas break; then weigh options.

Mayer if available to start, is a fit for Sudbury on and off ice.
100% if north bay gets all their guys back they’ll be a top 2 team in the east until they decide to trade guys (probably around Christmas) I definitely see them atleast trading Nelson and divinctiis. They’ll land somewhere between 5-8 for the playoffs

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

i think oshawa will be ahead of both peterborough and niagara but by default. peterborough could be ok, depends on how long they hold onto 03s and 04s for. beck probably is a christmas trade so he could be worth a few extra points.

i think niagara will be awful again.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The weakness could be lack of experience at LD, not an extreme lack of goals that many believe.

Mayer if available to start, he is a fit for Sudbury on and off ice.

You really think Sudbury would add an OA D-Man? I never considered it to be honest. I didn’t think there was a hole there. Do you feel Mayer may be Captain material and that is what they need most? Leadership?

i think oshawa will be ahead of both peterborough and niagara but by default. peterborough could be ok, depends on how long they hold onto 03s and 04s for. beck probably is a christmas trade so he could be worth a few extra points.

i think niagara will be awful again.

No doubts there. I do feel Oshawa is probably a little better than the predictions. I also feel there are a lot of relatively easy points gained inter-Conference that will help prop them up.

100% if north bay gets all their guys back they’ll be a top 2 team in the east until they decide to trade guys (probably around Christmas) I definitely see them atleast trading Nelson and divinctiis. They’ll land somewhere between 5-8 for the playoffs

North Bay will be solid early. I think you are correct. They will likely trade away a good chunk of the roster and recoup assets. If they don’t, they probably sit with Ottawa in 2-3 seeds with both teams staying status quo.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You really think Sudbury would add an OA D-Man? I never considered it to be honest. I didn’t think there was a hole there. Do you feel Mayer may be Captain material and that is what they need most? Leadership?

No doubts there. I do feel Oshawa is probably a little better than the predictions. I also feel there are a lot of relatively easy points gained inter-Conference that will help prop them up.
Well playoff experience in needed for sure :)
The wolves have neither a first pairing LD or an above average 2nd pairing LD imo. Anania is pretty solid defensively, quite good for blocking shots. I suppose he can be considered above average #4.
And they start the season with two RD recovering from off-season repair.

Last edited:
Reactions: OMG67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Sudbury could be really good or they could just be middle of the pack again this year. I think if they’re doing really well by around Christmas like many teams they’ll add. If not they might trade goyette and others who won’t be back next year. No team in the league is saying no to Mayer though especially after the playoffs and mem cup experience he gained

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Sudbury could be really good or they could just be middle of the pack again this year. I think if they’re doing really well by around Christmas like many teams they’ll add. If not they might trade goyette and others who won’t be back next year. No team in the league is saying no to Mayer though especially after the playoffs and mem cup experience he gained

I think Sudbury scores far too many goals this year to be a middle pack team. It will come down to goaltending for them. There are a couple OA goalies available as well as DomD so they can fill needs there if necessary.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think Sudbury scores far too many goals this year to be a middle pack team. It will come down to goaltending for them. There are a couple OA goalies available as well as DomD so they can fill needs there if necessary.
I agree they have great offensive players. Good defence but goaltending is very very questionable

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I agree that Mayer could be the top D-man avail, but do not put him in a Wolves jersey I have a feeling that there are a couple of teams in the west that might like him also.

Saginaw for one is going to want to get stronger.

as to Donoso, it is going to be a case I think in November of teams looking at their goaltending and thinking about do they need more strength. If you are Saginaw are you trusting this team to Oke. Donoso would give them a steady goalie that they can trust.

Speaking of goalies did they keep any other goals other than Mack and Dono in camp/

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree that Mayer could be the top D-man avail, but do not put him in a Wolves jersey I have a feeling that there are a couple of teams in the west that might like him also.

as to Donoso, it is going to be a case I think in November of teams looking at their goaltending and thinking about do they need more strength. If you are Saginaw are you trusting this team to Oke. Donoso would give them a steady goalie that they can trust.

Speaking of goalies did they keep any other goals other than Mack and Dono in camp/
You’re adding two more OAs to a team with four already including Hache acquired from Barrie.

There is a surplus of OAs. Apparently Erie waived Gilmartin & Sagniuk through the league going unclaimed.
I think the most logical places for Mayer are Sudbury by far, Flint could really use him I think, then ‘67s if continuing education in French is important, then an outside chance of Erie, Oshawa, and Niagara.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

The challenge for the 67’s and Donoso is there are likely three Elite goalies on the trade market. DiVincentiis is clearly the top goalie considered available. He’s only 19 so whomever acquires him doesn’t need to reserve an OA Spot for him.

The Next on the list is Simpson. Then there is donoso. So, IMO Simpson will likely be traded first for Ottawa to get top value for Donoso. I don’t think the Petes will trade Simpson until closer to the deadline. That puts Ottawa in an uncomfortable situation because I think they’d likely prefer to move Donoso earlier rather than later and I think Donoso probably feels that way as well.

It will be an interesting position to see unfold league wide from a trade perspective. I can’t remember when there were three elite goalies with a proven track record available. Maybe Donoso isn’t “elite” compared to Simpson and DiVincentiis But he had a very strong season last year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The challenge for the 67’s and Donoso is there are likely three Elite goalies on the trade market. DiVincentiis is clearly the top goalie considered available. He’s only 19 so whomever acquires him doesn’t need to reserve an OA Spot for him.

The Next on the list is Simpson. Then there is donoso. So, IMO Simpson will likely be traded first for Ottawa to get top value for Donoso. I don’t think the Petes will trade Simpson until closer to the deadline. That puts Ottawa in an uncomfortable situation because I think they’d likely prefer to move Donoso earlier rather than later and I think Donoso probably feels that way as well.

It will be an interesting position to see unfold league wide from a trade perspective. I can’t remember when there were three elite goalies with a proven track record available. Maybe Donoso isn’t “elite” compared to Simpson and DiVincentiis But he had a very strong season last year.
Thorton & Gaudreau, two more potentially available OA goalies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
You’re adding two more OAs to a team with four already including Hache acquired from Barrie.

There is a surplus of OAs. Apparently Erie waived Gilmartin & Sagniuk through the league going unclaimed.
I think the most logical places for Mayer are Sudbury by far, Flint could really use him I think, then ‘67s if continuing education in French is important, then an outside chance of Erie, Oshawa, and Niagara.
. I did not say that Donoso and Mayer would go to the same team I said that there were a few teams in the west that are going to look to get into the M CUP. Looking at the West I think it is going to have teams that are definitely going to be stronger than the East this season that may look at Mayer.
We really did not expect to get a lot for Donoso and I think NB may keep Simpson to hep keep the team in the payoff hunt so they can trade skaters. Again it is going to be a case of what is best for the player it could be that Donoso ends up being lilke Cranley to a certain extent although if they only have to 2 goalies ai think they may be looking at platooning them until an offer is made or someone says let me out

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
. I did not say that Donoso and Mayer would go to the same team I said that there were a few teams in the west that are going to look to get into the M CUP. Looking at the West I think it is going to have teams that are definitely going to be stronger than the East this season that may look at Mayer.

We really did not expect to get a lot for Donoso and I think NB may keep Simpson to hep keep the team in the payoff hunt so they can trade skaters. Again it is going to be a case of what is best for the player it could be that Donoso ends up being lilke Cranley to a certain extent although if they only have to 2 goalies ai think they may be looking at platooning them until an offer is made or someone says let me out

The challenge for Ottawa will be trying to get a 2nd rounder in a deal for Donoso. It’s possible but not probable because of the other goalies available considered a better.

We got a 3rd and 5th for Cranley and I thought that was highway robbery. So a 3rd and 5th for Donoso has to be the bar. Whether the demand is high enough to get that to a 2nd and 5th is questionable.

I cannot see the Petes not trading Simpson. I could see North Bay keep DiVincentiis if they feel he returns as an OA and their window is open next year to be competitive. Probably 50-50 on him getting traded but it will depend on the return. I think 3-4 good picks for DiVincentiis is very possible.

If Ottawa could trade MacK in a deal for Leenders, I’d seriously consider it. I like Leenders makeup. I’d then keep Donoso.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Thorton & Gaudreau, two more potentially available OA goalies.
Gaudreau os going to need a stellar first half to get serious consideration. Thornton is interesting. I could see a team like Peterborough trading Simpson and then acquiring either of those two if the price is right. Same with North Bay.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There has to be a need; Sudbury does not have a #1 D and has zero playoff experience.
No chance of Mayer to London or SSM. Saginaw & OS have four OAs.
Guelph can make room if moving recently acquired local OA LD Hislop. But if we are going to be creative, why not Mayer to NB; DiiVincentis, Mayer, Nelson, Christopolous, Mathurin …yikes!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Gaudreau os going to need a stellar first half to get serious consideration. Thornton is interesting. I could see a team like Peterborough trading Simpson and then acquiring either of those two if the price is right. Same with North Bay.
Realistically zero chance of NB or the Petes acquiring an OA goalie. Both teams right now have three signed goalies, and using OAs to recoup picks.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Realistically zero chance of NB or the Petes acquiring an OA goalie. Both teams right now have three signed goalies, and using OAs to recoup picks.
That’s not always the case. It depends on the competency and readiness of the signed goalies. It is not uncommon for a team to utilize an OA goalie at a reduced cost to solidify the back end. Again, it depends a lot on cost of acquisition.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That’s not always the case. It depends on the competency and readiness of the signed goalies. It is not uncommon for a team to utilize an OA goalie at a reduced cost to solidify the back end. Again, it depends a lot on cost of acquisition.
True.
But the Petes, at least some fans believe in Sztuska and Rye; and reading between the lines, the NB GM believes ‘06 MacIvor is the future #1.
I don’t think NB trades DiiVincentis unless Robertson proves himself capable of carrying the heavy weight this season. If he does prove capable, Robertson becomes the trade bait imo.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
True.
But the Petes, at least some fans believe in Sztuska and Rye; and reading between the lines, the NB GM believes ‘06 MacIvor is the future #1.
I don’t think NB trades DiiVincentis unless Robertson proves himself capable of carrying the heavy weight this season. If he does prove capable, Robertson becomes the trade bait imo.

Seems like a lot of very interesting scenarios in net this year. There could be a lot more shifting around than what we’d consider normal.

I can see Ottawa keeping Donoso but I think if they do, MacK ends up the starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad