Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
i get it that hockey trades never happen in the ohl any more. im just speculating that a team that wants to win, who sees beck as a small upgrade would probably welcome a trade.

ottawa, who could win, may perfer the very good but not great 03 vs taking picks and then trying to get a player for those picks. depends on what ottawa wants to do.

i think they have an open mind on this season, but are not committed either way.

I will definitely agree they have an open mind on the season. The question is at what point do they commit one way or the other. If Beck decides to make it official and demand a trade, that may force their hand.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Beck wants out? Why would that be? I must have missed something somewhere - would be delighted if someone would fill me in, because Boyd certainly talked like he was expecting him back should he not get a pro contract. (Which I think is unlikely.)

There’s been some scuttlebutt about Beck wanting to be traded if he returns as an OA. I think it is plausible if the 67’s do a short rebuild which wouldn’t benefit Beck at all. I’m not an Insider so all I can say is there has been discussion on this board. Nothing that would constitute concrete confirmation.

Beck needs a good centre to play with to help elevate his stock. I really don’t see a centre on this team that really pushes Beck forward. It is more the other way around. Beck will help elevate the centre, not the other way around.

Beck has had a lot of injury issues so there is a possibility that he feels like he may be better served in a different situation with a different medical staff.

A change in coaching may also help him. Learning different things from a different coach has some benefits.

I can see why he would want a change. I can see why Ottawa would accommodate. I can also see why Boyd would stay positive publicly. Like any other GM in sports, you cannot always trust everything they say publicly. It doesn’t benefit the franchise in any way if they come out and say if Beck comes back, he will be traded as per his request.

With Rohrer and Beck (potentially) both not returning, it really does present a challenge that otherwise wouldn’t have been there.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
There’s been some scuttlebutt about Beck wanting to be traded if he returns as an OA. I think it is plausible if the 67’s do a short rebuild which wouldn’t benefit Beck at all. I’m not an Insider so all I can say is there has been discussion on this board. Nothing that would constitute concrete confirmation.

Beck needs a good centre to play with to help elevate his stock. I really don’t see a centre on this team that really pushes Beck forward. It is more the other way around. Beck will help elevate the centre, not the other way around.

Beck has had a lot of injury issues so there is a possibility that he feels like he may be better served in a different situation with a different medical staff.

A change in coaching may also help him. Learning different things from a different coach has some benefits.

I can see why he would want a change. I can see why Ottawa would accommodate. I can also see why Boyd would stay positive publicly. Like any other GM in sports, you cannot always trust everything they say publicly. It doesn’t benefit the franchise in any way if they come out and say if Beck comes back, he will be traded as per his request.

With Rohrer and Beck (potentially) both not returning, it really does present a challenge that otherwise wouldn’t have been there.
Don't get me wrong, I think Beck is a fine Jr hockey player. But I have to remind people that this team did pretty well without Beck, and Boucher last year.

I really don't think it will make much of a difference. As to trading him, he may want to be close to a university so he can start. the process.

I think as a pro hockey player due to injuries his career is gone.
If he does not report then that lets Boyd say ok we are rebulding this year to be stronger for next year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I think Beck is a fine Jr hockey player. But I have to remind people that this team did pretty well without Beck, and Boucher last year.

I really don't think it will make much of a difference. As to trading him, he may want to be close to a university so he can start. the process.

I think as a pro hockey player due to injuries his career is gone.
If he does not report then that lets Boyd say ok we are rebulding this year to be stronger for next year.

That’s just silly. We did well without Beck at times and Boucher at times but we’d have done remarkably better with Boucher healthy in thre lineup. One could argue he’d have been a difference maker against the Petes.

Taking a player that would project as an 80-100 points as an overage player out of the lineup and it is going to cause a major impact to the overall performance.

On top of that, it’s not like we are returning the same team. We did well without Boucher because we had Morrison, Mintyukov, Matier, Tolnai and Rohrer. Three elite players and two really strong OHL players.

If Beck does not play for Ottawa this year, it will be felt heavily on the ice and in the locker room. The positive is we’d get the picks in return to use as future assets. So there is a trade off. Not all is lost in that regard.

Pull Korbler out of the lineup and replace him with Rohrer. Add Beck. That is 2/3 of a bonafide first line in this league. That is impactful.

Reactions: Leafs n Prospects

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
That’s just silly. We did well without Beck at times and Boucher at times but we’d have done remarkably better with Boucher healthy in thre lineup. One could argue he’d have been a difference maker against the Petes.

Taking a player that would project as an 80-100 points as an overage player out of the lineup and it is going to cause a major impact to the overall performance.

On top of that, it’s not like we are returning the same team. We did well without Boucher because we had Morrison, Mintyukov, Matier, Tolnai and Rohrer. Three elite players and two really strong OHL players.

If Beck does not play for Ottawa this year, it will be felt heavily on the ice and in the locker room. The positive is we’d get the picks in return to use as future assets. So there is a trade off. Not all is lost in that regard.

Pull Korbler out of the lineup and replace him with Rohrer. Add Beck. That is 2/3 of a bonafide first line in this league. That is impactful.
OMG, I agree that after the deadline, the team was stronger. My point is that we were a fairly strong team BEFORE THE DEADLINE.

I also not saying that not having Beck will make a difference in how many points this team gets. Frankly, unless he comes back, we will not really know. Yes Rohrer and tolnai were good players that helped up the middle
What I am saying is that this s a pretty strong team as it sits right now. Is it going to set the league on fire no but as a rebuild in the conference we are in we are going to be very competitive.

Frankly, this season losing Beck was already sort of in the plans only later in the year.

Donoso we had agreed and I am still in the mindset that trading him is best for development or the goaltending for the future.

Smyth never really got a chance to show what he could do and may be an odd man out so trading him for picks of any kind would be a nice thing to do for him to get him ice time

Sirman I think showed teams that he is quite versatile so he should bring in a few picks and his and Smyth's loss will not be that huge on the defence.

This team this year is built to be a rebuild until they resolve the center issue. Be that through picks or through player development.

Unfortunately, we are not going to get a real chance to see what Pinelli can do until after he comes back from the NHL rookie camp. This is good news for Foster and Barlas as it will in the exhibition give them a chance to show that they can step in.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG, I agree that after the deadline, the team was stronger. My point is that we were a fairly strong team BEFORE THE DEADLINE.

I also not saying that not having Beck will make a difference in how many points this team gets. Frankly, unless he comes back, we will not really know. Yes Rohrer and tolnai were good players that helped up the middle
What I am saying is that this s a pretty strong team as it sits right now. Is it going to set the league on fire no but as a rebuild in the conference we are in we are going to be very competitive.

Frankly, this season losing Beck was already sort of in the plans only later in the year.

Donoso we had agreed and I am still in the mindset that trading him is best for development or the goaltending for the future.

Smyth never really got a chance to show what he could do and may be an odd man out so trading him for picks of any kind would be a nice thing to do for him to get him ice time

Sirman I think showed teams that he is quite versatile so he should bring in a few picks and his and Smyth's loss will not be that huge on the defence.

This team this year is built to be a rebuild until they resolve the center issue. Be that through picks or through player development.

Unfortunately, we are not going to get a real chance to see what Pinelli can do until after he comes back from the NHL rookie camp. This is good news for Foster and Barlas as it will in the exhibition give them a chance to show that they can step in.

You are missing the point. This is either a make a run year or rebuild year. If Beck is not part of the equation, then making a run is less likely. It means that his rumoured trade demand would be a major contributing factor of that decision.

Is this a quality team without Beck? Yes. Is it a team that can contend? No. Not a chance.

Could they trade Beck and flip the assets for another player? Maybe. Could they push their remaining assets in and make it work? Yes. They could.

What do they need to make a run? Two centres and a top pairing Right Side D-Man to play with Mayich. Three key pieces. If Beck is not in the equation and they trade Donoso, they could potentially fill those three holes with OA’s so the price may be cheaper.

Not all is lost. It is jsut more difficult. More moving parts.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
You are missing the point. This is either a make a run year or rebuild year. If Beck is not part of the equation, then making a run is less likely. It means that his rumoured trade demand would be a major contributing factor of that decision.

Is this a quality team without Beck? Yes. Is it a team that can contend? No. Not a chance.

Could they trade Beck and flip the assets for another player? Maybe. Could they push their remaining assets in and make it work? Yes. They could.

What do they need to make a run? Two centres and a top pairing Right Side D-Man to play with Mayich. Three key pieces. If Beck is not in the equation and they trade Donoso, they could potentially fill those three holes with OA’s so the price may be cheaper.

Not all is lost. It is jsut more difficult. More moving parts.
No I am not missing the point. I understand that his team if it is going to contend needs parts. What I am saying is the same thing that you did last year when you told me they could not compete this year and it would have to be a rebuild.

I am saying that with the number of pieces they would need to contend for the league championship, it makes more sense to rebuild and let this team get as far as it can while developing the young players that it has

There are too many moving parts for this team to contend with the West. Yes we might have a good team but we are not good enough and it would take too many players andpics traded to come close even if we could.

This is a rebuild year no matter what.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
No I am not missing the point. I understand that his team if it is going to contend needs parts. What I am saying is the same thing that you did last year when you told me they could not compete this year and it would have to be a rebuild.

I am saying that with the number of pieces they would need to contend for the league championship, it makes more sense to rebuild and let this team get as far as it can while developing the young players that it has

There are too many moving parts for this team to contend with the West. Yes we might have a good team but we are not good enough and it would take too many players andpics traded to come close even if we could.

Picks and rookie 16-17 yr olds do not really aid the development of existing 17-19 yr olds.
The ‘67s could use a 2, 3 from the HB trade and maybe a 4 or 5 to acquire an OA centre such as Maillet, and be a better team for it both this season and next season imo.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Picks and rookie 16-17 yr olds do not really aid the development of existing 17-19 yr olds.
The ‘67s could use a 2, 3 from the HB trade and maybe a 4 or 5 to acquire an OA centre such as Maillet, and be a better team for it both this season and next season imo.

And that is the challenge. Trying to figure out what sort of balance exists where we aren’t throwing the team to the wolves by gutting it of all their “expendable” players while still trying to prepare them for a run next year (if that is the plan).

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I get where you are coming from. Ideally, all things being equal, next season’s team will be better prepared. However, so will many other teams that seem to be on the same cycle. We’ll have more competition as well as likely higher costs of acquisition with so many other teams battling for the same players on the market.

I still feel, as difficult as it is, this team could be more successful trying to contend this year and then go through a sell off next year. They’d have crazy high value pieces to sell next year garnering a much higher level of return compared to this year. This is the lingering little tangent that doesnt’ want to go away until the team itself makes it not an option with their actions.

We need to be open to changing our minds as more information is available. Now that the trajectories of other teams seems more focused, we know our road next year will be really bumpy compared to this year.

I still feel the responsible thing to do is do a controlled selloff this year while adding at least one solid OA centre. Let the chips fall where they may next season.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
How does getting an OA center this year help us next year.

I think the wise move at this stage is to see what we have. can Pinelli be a 2 center. can Barlas or Foster be a 3 or 4

Last year everyone on here was calling for a rebuild year. When I suggested that they had the parts to be competitive I was told I was crazy and that the team had to restock the picks that it use for Morrison and Minchi.

Now you guys are saying that we should get rid of picks for a chance to be the best in the East. Frankly I do not see it and you can not convince me that this team would have a shot at the M Cup. The east is weak I think with a lot of teams rebuilding. But I think looking at the west that London and a few others are going to be strong.

Next year we will have Gerrior and a second-year whitehead at least which is more than we have now as well as the annual surprise player.

I am sorry but the good OA centers are going to get picked up for a hefty price and not until deadline.

Any OA we get now is just a player that is cast off from another team.
I paraphrase what was said last year Next year we need a year to recoup what we lost in picks we are low so Donoso and Beck should be trade pieces to recoup the picks. There is no way we can go for it the next 2 years.

The funny thing is that after convincing me and telling me that I was wrong last year he is now taking my side. Interesting.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I get where you are coming from. Ideally, all things being equal, next season’s team will be better prepared. However, so will many other teams that seem to be on the same cycle. We’ll have more competition as well as likely higher costs of acquisition with so many other teams battling for the same players on the market.

I still feel, as difficult as it is, this team could be more successful trying to contend this year and then go through a sell off next year. They’d have crazy high value pieces to sell next year garnering a much higher level of return compared to this year. This is the lingering little tangent that doesnt’ want to go away until the team itself makes it not an option with their actions.

We need to be open to changing our minds as more information is available. Now that the trajectories of other teams seems more focused, we know our road next year will be really bumpy compared to this year.

I still feel the responsible thing to do is do a controlled selloff this year while adding at least one solid OA centre. Let the chips fall where they may next season.
Definitely have to consider where Barrie, Miss, …Brantford, Kingston are at now and what they might be next season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Elevate the game of Pinelli, Stonehouse, … instead of those wingers having to cover for Barlas or Whitehead. And Gardiner can better develop as a #2 centre rather than be physically dominated by a 1-2 such as Arnsby & Zito.
I think the wise move at this stage is to see what we have. can Pinelli be a 2 center. can Barlas or Foster be a 3 or 4

Last year everyone on here was calling for a rebuild year. When I suggested that they had the parts to be competitive I was told I was crazy and that the team had to restock the picks that it use for Morrison and Minchi.

Now you guys are saying that we should get rid of picks for a chance to be the best in the East.
I don’t think anyone is saying get rid of picks, or even use them all up to go on a run.

I suggested use the bonus picks obtained exploiting the defect rule to improve the team while pushing the top 18 yr olds and potential OAs to play up to the level of a Maillet for example.
Using picks that way is beneficial imo. I do not think Erie & SSM wasted high import picks by bringing in one year players. I think they are increasing the rate of development of their entire team.
Frankly I do not see it and you can not convince me that this team would have a shot at the M Cup. The east is weak I think with a lot of teams rebuilding. But I think looking at the west that London and a few others are going to be strong.

Next year we will have Gerrior and a second-year whitehead at least which is more than we have now as well as the annual surprise player.

I am sorry but the good OA centers are going to get picked up for a hefty price and not until deadline.

I paraphrase what was said last year Next year we need a year to recoup what we lost in picks we are low so Donoso and Beck should be trade pieces to recoup the picks. There is no way we can go for it the next 2 years.

The funny thing is that after convincing me and telling me that I was wrong last year he is now taking my side. Interesting.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I do not think Erie & SSM wasted high import picks by bringing in one year players. I think they are increasing the rate of development of their entire team.
I do get what you are saying, and agree that it can work that way at times.

I do though want to distinguish the difference between spending picks on OAs in a non-contending year, and using an early import pick to select a 19 year old. The import pick will replenish itself before the next import draft, and much of the import "draft" is already pre-determined making the order you select less important.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was speaking to a good friend who has been a lot closer to the operations of an OHL club than I have. He reminded me not to discount the influence that agents have on the process. Once a player gets older and signs with an agent, those agents have a huge influence on their thinking. The agent may tell a kid that he is better off for his future playing in this city or for that coach, when the truth is that the agent is close to that coach and is acting in his own interest, not that of the player. They aren't all like that, of course, but some are, and it's another wild card for clubs to deal with...

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Now you guys are saying that we should get rid of picks for a chance to be the best in the East. Frankly I do not see it and you can not convince me that this team would have a shot at the M Cup. The east is weak I think with a lot of teams rebuilding. But I think looking at the west that London and a few others are going to be strong.

I have previously outlined how development is excellerated by providing positive playing conditions. High profile scoring wingers need pucks on their sticks in scoring zones. If they are chasing pucks and not in scoring zones because the centre they are playing with is incapable of providing them the support they need, then how does that lead to development?

Chasing a puck around for 60 minutes without the talent on the ice to advance skills and situational development doesn’t constitute player development.

A team requires key positions to be competently filled. The top three centres, the first and second pairing lead D-Man and a goaltender. That is six positions That need to be in place for the remainder of the team to be successful. Without those six key pieces, the team does not have th building blocks for success. Any strategies developed through practise cannot be implemented on the ice Because they dont’ have the key positions covered that allows them to realize their development potential.

Right now, the 67’s have MacK, Mayich and Gardiner. They have three of six pieces. Potentially, Marrelli and/or Mews may fill that key position on defence. Potentially, Pinelli may be able to transition to centre. Maybe Foster as well. Who knows? I don’t think Pinelli and Foster will provide that support effectively but it is possible.

This is why the team utilizes OA’s in key positions even when they are rebuilding. Look at Hamilton last year. How well would Lardis have progressed if Panwar weren’t on that team to help ancor a scoring line? Would that team been better off without PAnwar? Woudl their players have developed at a more advanced rate had Panwar not been on that team? Would the 67’s wingers have developed better two years ago if they hadn’t acquired Johnston? Woudl Barlas as 1 16 year old been developed more efffectively by forcing him onto that centre role on the 3rd line that Johnston held down as an OA? Or was Barlas more effectively developed by shifting him to the wing?

That’s the point. If they are rebuilding, they don’t need a Maillet or Zito but they do need at least one experienced centre that can help provide the required depth down the middle. Additionally, if Pinelli is a valued winger, why move him to centre where he may very likely stagnate from a development perspective? We had the same discussion last year with Rohrer. he was fine but his production was considerably under expectations. Taht may have led him to his decision to go to Europe this year specifically because he didn’t feel he developed to expectations.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Strictly looking at OA's, how about:
Ethan Larmond, plus to Ottawa
Beck to Sudbury.

Noted on the OA thread that Larmond is not a lock for one of the OA spots in Sudbury. Sudbury should be one of the top teams in the East this year, and could use someone like Beck.

It would be nice to get back Mania to play with Mayich, but that's not going to happen.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Mississauga seems bizarre, and Barrie already has a whack of OAs. London makes the most sense to me?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Mississauga seems bizarre, and Barrie already has a whack of OAs. London makes the most sense to me?

Agreed. Barrie doesn’t make any sense at all. London makes some sense but their draft pick situation is light at the moment. That could change though.

Mississauga is a wildcard for me. I think they do have pieces to build around. I know they are geared up more for next year but they do have loads of picks that can be used to span over this year and next. Beck could be a good fit for Mississauga, especially considering they have four OHL 1st rounders lining up at centre with DelMonte the 5th centre as a 2nd rounder. They have depth there. Maybe a deal involving a player makes more sense? Add additional assets one way or the other to balance a deal? Maybe a kid like Karmiris would make some sense for both sides?

Reactions: HockeyPops

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Agreed. Barrie doesn’t make any sense at all. London makes some sense but their draft pick situation is light at the moment. That could change though.

Mississauga is a wildcard for me. I think they do have pieces to build around. I know they are geared up more for next year but they do have loads of picks that can be used to span over this year and next. Beck could be a good fit for Mississauga, especially considering they have four OHL 1st rounders lining up at centre with DelMonte the 5th centre as a 2nd rounder. They have depth there. Maybe a deal involving a player makes more sense? Add additional assets one way or the other to balance a deal? Maybe a kid like Karmiris would make some sense for both sides?
Looking for young goaltender in return.

Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Looking for young goaltender in return.

Wouldn’t the Donoso trade make more sense to swap goalies? We give the experienced OA and the other team gives the lessor experienced backup quality Goalie?

Bowen would be a good candidate for Ottawa as a backup to MacK for the next two seasons. Kanata kid. I’m just not sure what that package would look like if it involved Beck. I still think Donoso would be a better fit OA for London considering their goalie situation. I think they’d prefer DiVincentis though.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I do get what you are saying, and agree that it can work that way at times.
I can also see Erie & SSM both not really in contention and happy with the development at the deadline. That might make them entertain offers for their 19 yr old imports
I do though want to distinguish the difference between spending picks on OAs in a non-contending year, and using an early import pick to select a 19 year old. The import pick will replenish itself before the next import draft, and much of the import "draft" is already pre-determined making the order you select less important.
Import picks are replenish-able like adding the right OA is free.
A ‘25-2nd & two ‘27-3rds from the ‘67s for any of Frasca, Maillet, Zito. Stonehouse looks better, which make Mayich & Sirman look better, which makes MacKenzie look better. The 4th and maybe 5th OA next season is more desirable. The increased value returns part of the cost before it is even due.

Reactions: HockeyPops

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009

Ottawa 67's Skaters​

POS#PlayerGA+/-DS/SPIMFOWH
D3Brady, Josh0000/000/00
D4Dietsch, Kaleb0000/000/00
D8Marrelli, Frankie0000/000/00
LW9Barlas, Chris0000/000/00
C10Whitehead, Nic0000/000/00
D11Mews, Henry0000/000/00
RW13Uronen, Tuomas0000/000/00