Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Lineup today

Ottawa 67's Skaters​

POS#PlayerGA+/-DS/SPIMFOWH
D2Smyth, Derek0000/000/00
D3Brady, Josh0000/000/00
D4Dietsch, Kaleb0000/000/00
D8Marrelli, Frankie0000/000/00
LW9Barlas, Chris0000/000/00
C10Whitehead, Nic0000/000/00
RW13Uronen, Tuomas0000/000/00
LW16Yanni, Chase0000/000/00
RW18Dever, Jack0000/000/00
LW21Hilton, Charlie0000/000/00
D22Mayich, Matthew0000/000/00
LW23Gerrior, Will0000/000/00
RW24Körbler, Kimi0000/000/00
C25Gardiner, Brad0000/000/00
D26Ewles, Gavin0000/000/00
RW28Kelly, Caden0000/000/00
C29Foster, Cooper0000/000/00
D32MacLean, Michael0000/000/00
LW34Houben, Zach0000/000/00

Ottawa 67's Goalies​

#PlayerGAMINSHSAVPIMGA
33MacKenzie, Collin0000/0000
35Donoso, Max0000/0000

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Kingston game warmup lines.

Not in lineup: Mews, Stonehouse, Pinelli, Beck, Mayich.
Sirman, Horner injured

McKenzie (Starter)/ Donoso

Marelli/Ewles
Smyth / Brady
MacLean / Dietsch

Gerrior / Gardiner / Uronen
Dever / Foster / Hilton
Kelly / Whitehead / Yanni
Houben / Barlas / Korbler

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Did anybody see the game today? How did Hilton and Houben look today? The team could certainly use their size at some point.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It looks like they are leaning toward size right now from an acquisition perspective. The last unsigned kid in camp is MacLean. He’s 6’6”.

If Beck does get traded (assuming he remains unsigned), you have to think their focus shifts to next season pretty much without any doubt. The question then becomes how deep they decide to thin out this team.

They have seven 2004’s right now. MacK, Smyth, Sirman, Mayich, Gerrior, Stonehouse, and MacLean. Just the one 2003 (Donoso). Only three can return next season. We’ve talked a lot about narrowing it down to four guys but we have trouble deciding on who the odd man out is. I think they keep all four and then see who comes back next season. Mayich is a drafted player so it is very possible he signs an NHL deal. That leaves us with MacK, Gerrior, and Stonehouse.

What do they do with the rest of the 2004’s?

They can only roster three 16 year olds. Whitehead seems to be a lock. That leaves Yanni, Dietsch, and Houben. One of those three need to remain on B Cards and unrostered.

That brings us back to the centre position where both Pinelli and Foster are listed at centre. It will be interesting to see how that plays out through the exhibition season.

Donoso is still a solid trade candidate in my mind. If he moves on and Beck also moves on, we have no OAs. Interesting situation.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I listened to the GM late last week on TSN 1200. He certainly talked like he wanted Beck back here if he doesn't get a contract offer in Carolina. At the same time, though, he made it clear that they would go into the year with one empty OA slot. (Assuming that Beck returns) That gives Boyd the ability to fill that slot at the deadline if the right player comes along, or to be a bit of a seller if circumstances dictate...

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It looks like they are leaning toward size right now from an acquisition perspective. The last unsigned kid in camp is MacLean. He’s 6’6”.

If Beck does get traded (assuming he remains unsigned), you have to think their focus shifts to next season pretty much without any doubt. The question then becomes how deep they decide to thin out this team.

They have seven 2004’s right now. MacK, Smyth, Sirman, Mayich, Gerrior, Stonehouse, and MacLean. Just the one 2003 (Donoso). Only three can return next season. We’ve talked a lot about narrowing it down to four guys but we have trouble deciding on who the odd man out is. I think they keep all four and then see who comes back next season. Mayich is a drafted player so it is very possible he signs an NHL deal. That leaves us with MacK, Gerrior, and Stonehouse.

What do they do with the rest of the 2004’s?

They can only roster three 16 year olds. Whitehead seems to be a lock. That leaves Yanni, Dietsch, and Houben. One of those three need to remain on B Cards and unrostered.

That brings us back to the centre position where both Pinelli and Foster are listed at centre. It will be interesting to see how that plays out through the exhibition season.

Donoso is still a solid trade candidate in my mind. If he moves on and Beck also moves on, we have no OAs. Interesting situation.
I thought that we could roster 4 16 year olds. If not, then the question becomes, do you send Dietsch to a central Junior team, as we are pretty stocked at D and keep the forwards? You also have to look at the fact that Yanni and Houden both play the same wing.

OA's I think that you have to trade Donoso this year and bring in another goalie either just as a backup or as a possible replacement to MacK.

Next year, the OA positon depends on what we have in goaltenders. Right now, you go to camp with MacK, and whoever is left. The trade deadline and the season are going to determine who and what we have for OA. All of our 19-year-olds are trade-worthy except MacK and Mayich who as you said the NHL is going to sort out.
I listened to the GM late last week on TSN 1200. He certainly talked like he wanted Beck back here if he doesn't get a contract offer in Carolina. At the same time, though, he made it clear that they would go into the year with one empty OA slot. (Assuming that Beck returns) That gives Boyd the ability to fill that slot at the deadline if the right player comes along, or to be a bit of a seller if circumstances dictate...
More importantly the fewer OA on the team leaves more icetime for the players to develop. If we need to get a player due to injury or a specific need then it leaves the ability to fill any position.

Personally if this is a retooling year i would rather see less OA and more young players.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I thought that we could roster 4 16 year olds. If not, then the question becomes, do you send Dietsch to a central Junior team, as we are pretty stocked at D and keep the forwards? You also have to look at the fact that Yanni and Houden both play the same wing.

OA's I think that you have to trade Donoso this year and bring in another goalie either just as a backup or as a possible replacement to MacK.

Next year, the OA positon depends on what we have in goaltenders. Right now, you go to camp with MacK, and whoever is left. The trade deadline and the season are going to determine who and what we have for OA. All of our 19-year-olds are trade-worthy except MacK and Mayich who as you said the NHL is going to sort out.

More importantly the fewer OA on the team leaves more icetime for the players to develop. If we need to get a player due to injury or a specific need then it leaves the ability to fill any position.

Personally if this is a retooling year i would rather see less OA and more young players.

We can roster our top two picks plus two additional players. HB was one of our top two picks so that leaves us with Whitehead and whatever other two we choose.

Regarding OA’s, it isn’t JUST about ice time. It is about quality ice time. If it makes sense to strategically acquire an OA or more in an effort to give the developing players better quality ice time vs higher quantity ice time, then that is what we should do. Sending kids out to chase a puck for 40 seconds at a time isn’t development. Giving them a decent centre to play with so they have positive puck touches leads to better development.

MacK has gone through the draft without being picked. IT is unlikely he gets drafted as a 19 year old. No one is going to extend an NHL contract to an undrafted goalie. Therefore, it is HIGHLY unlikely MacK graduates to pro. The only scenario I see that prevents MacK from playing an OA season is if they decide to trade him in favour of keeping Donoso. Well, that or a career ending injury…. I think the “starting” goAlice position is neatly sewn up for the next to seasons. I wouldn’t consider that something to focus on at all, other than what you stated regarding a backup. We will need one if Donoso is traded. Maybe internal, maybe external but it’s a backup so who really cares? That guy will play once every three game in three days weekend and thats it.

With the overall depth, we could potentially ONLY see Whitehead as a rostered 16 year old. I agree that Dietsch is more likely to spend a good portion of the season in Tier II but practising with the 67’s. I could see one of Yanni or Houben playing the full season with the other also playing Tier II and practicing with the 67’s. It will all depend on how deep they thin the roster out.

It will be an interesting next month or so. A lot of shoes left to drop. I’m sort of excited to see what remains so we, as fans, can focus on the agenda and adjust our expectations accordingly. I always like to make judgements based on expectations. If it is a rebuilding year, my judgement will be based on how well they execute the rebuild and what the results of that rebuild are next season. Always fun to project forward.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I agree that MacK is probably here for an OA year. The backup goalie is an interesting question Do you bring in someone to do spot goaltending or do you bring in someone to learn and develop? I think if you are rebuilding/ retooling you as much as possible, bring in someone that you want to develop.

I agree if there is a need for an extra OA then by all means however by waiting you are able to take a look at where you need the player. At this stage, I agree it could be as a center but that is not 100% crap happens.

As you said the next 2-3 months are going to be interesting. There are a lot of pieces that can be moved. Also this team can go in a few directions depending on the conference.

Beck coming back and if he is at the Canes camp he will be back is one thing.
Do they go with Donoso and Mack. I think we agree that one of them needs to be traded.

What happens with our Defence do they all stay or do they get traded?

Of course, the biggest question is with Foster, Barlas and Pinetti, Can one or 2 of them be effective centers?

With Cameron I am not worried about player development that will happen.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Smyth
Sirman
Dietsch
Maclean

Who stays

Do you trade Smyth and move Sirman to forward

Do you send Dietsch and Maclean back to Junior A

Me I trade Smyth Trade either Sirman or one of the LW forwards possibly send Yanni to Nepean

Keep Dietsch and Maclean

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Smyth
Sirman
Dietsch
Maclean

Who stays

Do you trade Smyth and move Sirman to forward

Do you send Dietsch and Maclean back to Junior A

Me I trade Smyth Trade either Sirman or one of the LW forwards possibly send Yanni to Nepean

Keep Dietsch and Maclean

Again, it depends on what the goal for the season is. Everything is lining up as if it is to rebuild. That is the feeling I am getting. If that is the case, the primary goal needs to be competently filling the key positions. Once they fill those positions with the players they feel they need to rely on, they will need to go out and find bodies to fill the positions they can’t fill internally and remove the excess bodies that are blocking the way for younger players that will be here next year.

MacLean is a 19 year old big body D-Man. Clearly they are looking for size on their back end, otherwise why is he here (unsigned)? If that is the case then why trade Smyth? Is MacLean possibly a replacement for Smyth? If so, then is Smyth actually worth something on the trade market? I don’t think Smyth has a lot of value. I feel he has far more value actually playing for the 67’s than he does on the trade market.

To me, based on what I am seeing, it looks like Sirman being injured is keeping him in Ottawa. As soon as he is ready to return to the ice, he will likely be dealt rather quickly Provided there is a team in need.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I may be irrationally optimistic, but I think this could still be a top shelf team. If you believe in the old adage that you build from the goal out, the 67's have both solid goaltending and depth on the blue line that most teams would kill for. Yeah, not a ton of prolific scorers up front, but out transition game will be amazing and our forwards will benefit immensely from the puck moving from the back end. Let's see where we are at as we approach Christmas - while we definitely wouldn't want to make deadline moves that would hurt us for 24-25, this current group may well be right in the mix near the top of the Division...

Reactions: Mild Italian

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I may be irrationally optimistic, but I think this could still be a top shelf team. If you believe in the old adage that you build from the goal out, the 67's have both solid goaltending and depth on the blue line that most teams would kill for. Yeah, not a ton of prolific scorers up front, but out transition game will be amazing and our forwards will benefit immensely from the puck moving from the back end. Let's see where we are at as we approach Christmas - while we definitely wouldn't want to make deadline moves that would hurt us for 24-25, this current group may well be right in the mix near the top of the Division...
The team may be near the top but that is more becaude I donot think this is a strong conference. The fact that we have 2 golaies that should be starters is a hindrance and not a good thing. Donoso needs to be traded if we are rebulding. We need to find a goalie that can assist next year.

I really do not see a role for Smyth. the fact that they brought in Maclean is a little confusing but I think he may have more of an upside than Smyth. Even if it is only for a late pick i think he needs to be traded. I can also see Sirman traded or like I said moved to forward.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
I thought that Smyth played really well on Sunday, although not against the best that Kingston could bring. I am really not sold on Ewles as a second pairing defenseman. He just seems very nonchalant to me. The other rookie defense did not look out of place (except for the first 8 minutes before any of the 67's found their footing).

My initial thought about Whitehead from training camp was that he was really small and would get lost in the battles. Totally changed my mind from the game in Kingston. He is dynamic, skilled, and not afraid. Scored a beauty goal.

Uronen will be a first line winger. Foster played well at centre. Both HIlton and Houben played well. I think they will keep Hilton up and give Houben more time to develop.

Star of the game was MacKenzie, though. He made a lot of great saves and kept Ottawa in the game.

Reactions: BarberPole9

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The ‘67s have 7-19 yr olds? (If) Beck is with the team and a Maillet or Zito can be had, half of the game sheet is 19-20.
That and a typical good start would make Kingston and Hamilton think hard before adding.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
The ‘67s have 7-19 yr olds? (If) Beck is with the team and a Maillet or Zito can be had, half of the game sheet is 19-20.
That and a typical good start would make Kingston and Hamilton think hard before adding.
I couldn’t agree more. Ottawa seems to be in a perfect spot this year where none of the other divisional teams are in a clear “go for it year.” It means two things- an easier (it’s never easy) path in the playoffs and lots of potential buyers for their current 17 and 18 year olds next year and the year after.

Comparing it to poker, while their hand may be okay/good it is likely that they can read that everybody else at the table (division) has a weaker hand that won’t get better.

It wouldn’t be surprising to see them move two or three veterans out over the next month to build draft capital for the deadline. If they’re first place at the deadline, they should have enough assets to add at least three impact players.

Like clockwork, they can rebuild next year with their two first round picks. They will have plenty of strong graduating players to deal next year to expedite the rebuild.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think that’s the challenge. The lack of draft picks really makes it a pick‘em between this year and next. If we are to believe the rumours regarding Beck, his non-return to the team really leaves a hole up front from a leadership perspective. Beck will be counted on to be the forward General.

The other challenge is the paltry return we’d get for some of the players we are discussing moving out. I really don’t think Sirman and Smyth have much in the way of trade value. Neither are in any different situation than Gill-Shane last year. Donoso will have some decent value but likely not much more than a 2nd and 3rd as an absolute ceiling for a trade value. Likely more in the 2nd and 5th range.

To me, Zito is the perfect option which is why I really feel Boyd dropped the ball not acquiring him last year. Not to rehash issues from last season but his addition would have pushed us past Peterborough IMO, and after that it would have been a straight push through to the Finals. His return this year as an OA would have solidified us down the middle. IF we acquire him now, it is likely to cost at least a 2nd, 3rd, 4th And maybe even two 2nds and a 3rd. That is almost what we’d have had to give up last season.

If we were to acquire Zito, it woudl pretty much knock out must of the draft capital acquired int he HB Deal. That’s fine to a point but it does nothing to address the draft pick holes going into next year. It really is somewhat handcuffing.

So, unless there is an expendable younger player we can move out for a decent return like a Cooper Foster and then flip those picks for the impact OA Centre, I am not sure we really have the flexibility needed.

I think there are a series of dominos that need to drop before we can have a clear vision of this team as a true Conference contender For this season. I can’t see a path where Ottawa is a contender without filling their OA spots and erasing their draft capital to do so. It would make next season much more difficult. I believe it would require a reshuffle of some younger guys. I can’t see them doing that.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think that’s the challenge. The lack of draft picks really makes it a pick‘em between this year and next. If we are to believe the rumours regarding Beck, his non-return to the team really leaves a hole up front from a leadership perspective. Beck will be counted on to be the forward General.

The other challenge is the paltry return we’d get for some of the players we are discussing moving out. I really don’t think Sirman and Smyth have much in the way of trade value. Neither are in any different situation than Gill-Shane last year. Donoso will have some decent value but likely not much more than a 2nd and 3rd as an absolute ceiling for a trade value. Likely more in the 2nd and 5th range.

To me, Zito is the perfect option which is why I really feel Boyd dropped the ball not acquiring him last year. Not to rehash issues from last season but his addition would have pushed us past Peterborough IMO, and after that it would have been a straight push through to the Finals. His return this year as an OA would have solidified us down the middle. IF we acquire him now, it is likely to cost at least a 2nd, 3rd, 4th And maybe even two 2nds and a 3rd. That is almost what we’d have had to give up last season.

If we were to acquire Zito, it woudl pretty much knock out must of the draft capital acquired int he HB Deal. That’s fine to a point but it does nothing to address the draft pick holes going into next year. It really is somewhat handcuffing.

So, unless there is an expendable younger player we can move out for a decent return like a Cooper Foster and then flip those picks for the impact OA Centre, I am not sure we really have the flexibility needed.

I think there are a series of dominos that need to drop before we can have a clear vision of this team as a true Conference contender For this season. I can’t see a path where Ottawa is a contender without filling their OA spots and erasing their draft capital to do so. It would make next season much more difficult. I believe it would require a reshuffle of some younger guys. I can’t see them doing that.
you could probably trade beck for a very good 03 that will report 1 for 1.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
you could probably trade beck for a very good 03 that will report 1 for 1.

If Ottawa intends to contend then they wouldn’t trade Beck unless he steadfastly wanted out and demanded a trade. Again, if that were to happen, he’d go to a contender and the contender wouldn’t trade a same value OA back.

If Ottawa does not intend to contend and they trade Beck, then they would likely gain draft picks back in return in an effort to recoup assets traded away last season.

Ottawa is deep on the wings. They can afford to trade Beck and still be a very good team provided they added one half decent OA centre. Flint traded Panwar to Peterborough last year at the beginning of the season for a 4th, 5th, and 6th. If Ottawa could get a similar type of deal done, it would help solidify them down the middle. It would move one of Pinelli or Foster back to wing.

If Beck is returned and remains rostered for the season and they were to acquire someone like Zito, then that would be a game changer. If they trade Donoso and free up another OA Spot to acquire a second OA centre, then that would be a complete game changer. Imagine if Ottawa were to acquire both Zito and Maillet?

Beck - Maillet - Uronen
Pinelli - Zito - Stonehouse
Foster - Gardiner - Gerrior
Barlas - Whitehead - Kelly

Mayich - Mews
Marrelli - Ewles
Smyth - Horner

MacK
???

That is a very good roster. They have the assets to acquire those two pieces. Total game changer IMO. I just don’t think their mindset is there. I think they are going to do the minimal and try to recoup assets, not spend them.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If Ottawa intends to contend then they wouldn’t trade Beck unless he steadfastly wanted out and demanded a trade. Again, if that were to happen, he’d go to a contender and the contender wouldn’t trade a same value OA back.

If Ottawa does not intend to contend and they trade Beck, then they would likely gain draft picks back in return in an effort to recoup assets traded away last season.

Ottawa is deep on the wings. They can afford to trade Beck and still be a very good team provided they added one half decent OA centre. Flint traded Panwar to Peterborough last year at the beginning of the season for a 4th, 5th, and 6th. If Ottawa could get a similar type of deal done, it would help solidify them down the middle. It would move one of Pinelli or Foster back to wing.

If Beck is returned and remains rostered for the season and they were to acquire someone like Zito, then that would be a game changer. If they trade Donoso and free up another OA Spot to acquire a second OA centre, then that would be a complete game changer. Imagine if Ottawa were to acquire both Zito and Maillet?

Beck - Maillet - Uronen
Pinelli - Zito - Stonehouse
Foster - Gardiner - Gerrior
Barlas - Whitehead - Kelly

Mayich - Mews
Marrelli - Ewles
Smyth - Horner

MacK
???

That is a very good roster. They have the assets to acquire those two pieces. Total game changer IMO. I just don’t think their mindset is there. I think they are going to do the minimal and try to recoup assets, not spend them.
beck wants out,

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
beck wants out,

Then they trade him for picks and either stash them away for the future or ship them out to replace him. I still cannot see a 1 for 1 unless Ottawa were to get a much lessor valued OA back plus picks. I cannot see a team doing a 1 for 1 deal for a quality player. It defeats the purpose. Why would they acquire beck and give a similar player back in return unless the player coming back also wanted out of their situation? Possible, I guess, but less probable than an easy player for picks trade.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Then they trade him for picks and either stash them away for the future or ship them out to replace him. I still cannot see a 1 for 1 unless Ottawa were to get a much lessor valued OA back plus picks. I cannot see a team doing a 1 for 1 deal for a quality player. It defeats the purpose. Why would they acquire beck and give a similar player back in return unless the player coming back also wanted out of their situation? Possible, I guess, but less probable than an easy player for picks trade.
i get it that hockey trades never happen in the ohl any more. im just speculating that a team that wants to win, who sees beck as a small upgrade would probably welcome a trade.

ottawa, who could win, may perfer the very good but not great 03 vs taking picks and then trying to get a player for those picks. depends on what ottawa wants to do.

i think they have an open mind on this season, but are not committed either way.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Beck wants out? Why would that be? I must have missed something somewhere - would be delighted if someone would fill me in, because Boyd certainly talked like he was expecting him back should he not get a pro contract. (Which I think is unlikely.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad