Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
As a Rangers fan…that is right in the ballpark I think.
Not for me. It makes no sense to have a veteran coming our way in any deal for Rehkopf. We’re rebuilding. We need futures, not a 19 year old D. I understand the value of that player this year, but the Ranger’s already have OA Motew, who may stay put, ‘04 Hamara and third year Andonovski to provide veteran leadership on the backend.

The possibility is still there that we can deal for Henry, and still have Rehkopf to move in a separate deal for higher value down the road.

Swap out Smyth in favour of Kelly and we’re move a little closer to fair value.

But in all actuality, the Ranger’s would be far better off dealing 1.5 years of Rehkopf at the deadline in a stand alone deal to get max value.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not for me. It makes no sense to have a veteran coming our way in any deal for Rehkopf. We’re rebuilding. We need futures, not a 19 year old D. I understand the value of that player this year, but the Ranger’s already have OA Motew, who may stay put, ‘04 Hamara and third year Andonovski to provide veteran leadership on the backend.

The possibility is still there that we can deal for Henry, and still have Rehkopf to move in a separate deal for higher value down the road.

Swap out Smyth in favour of Kelly and we’re move a little closer to fair value.

But in all actuality, the Ranger’s would be far better off dealing 1.5 years of Rehkopf at the deadline in a stand alone deal to get max value.

In fairness, if Kelly were substituted for Smyth, the picks would get chopped in half at least. Kelly is worth more than a 2nd and 3rd. Smyth is worth maybe a 4th or 5th.

You can’t get an ‘07 plus a high pick ‘06 plus multiple 2nds and 3rds in a deal for Rehkopf. Maybe a deeper pick like a Caton Ryan or a Ryder Daganais type player that would be true prospects. But not a proven player like Kelly that is expected to produce at the 20+ goal level this season. The expectation here this year for Kelly is what Foster did last year (19-17-36) and do it with more physicality.

I know Beck went for JVV last year but the Petes were handcuffed quite a bit without flexibility. I really don’t think the same market will be there this year as last year. If a team can acquire a 19 year old with similar production without using their ‘07 to do it, I think that’s the way they’ll go. This may be the only opportunity for Kitchener to acquire an ‘07.

You can only deal picks for non reporting 16 yr olds.

“Final result” means after two separate deals resulting in that. Kitchener can move conditional picks that result in nothing going Ottawa’s way to acquire HB. Then Ottawa moves the picks and a player for Rehkopf.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
In fairness, if Kelly were substituted for Smyth, the picks would get chopped in half at least. Kelly is worth more than a 2nd and 3rd. Smyth is worth maybe a 4th or 5th.

You can’t get an ‘07 plus a high pick ‘06 plus multiple 2nds and 3rds in a deal for Rehkopf. Maybe a deeper pick like a Caton Ryan or a Ryder Daganais type player that would be true prospects. But not a proven player like Kelly that is expected to produce at the 20+ goal level this season. The expectation here this year for Kelly is what Foster did last year (19-17-36) and do it with more physicality.

I know Beck went for JVV last year but the Petes were handcuffed quite a bit without flexibility. I really don’t think the same market will be there this year as last year. If a team can acquire a 19 year old with similar production without using their ‘07 to do it, I think that’s the way they’ll go. This may be the only opportunity for Kitchener to acquire an ‘07.

“Final result” means after two separate deals resulting in that. Kitchener can move conditional picks that result in nothing going Ottawa’s way to acquire HB. Then Ottawa moves the picks and a player for Rehkopf.
True but working a deal like that means any team in the league could offer something maybe a little better? Not sure why everyone thinks Kitchener is the prime landing spot. I think any team close that has room to let him play big minutes would be appealing. Flint, Sarnia, Windsor are all in that wheel house. Time will tell.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
True but working a deal like that means any team in the league could offer something maybe a little better? Not sure why everyone thinks Kitchener is the prime landing spot. I think any team close that has room to let him play big minutes would be appealing. Flint, Sarnia, Windsor are all in that wheel house. Time will tell.

Personally, I don’t feel Kitchener is the landing spot unless Rehkopf is part of the fulsome deal. And I am making an assumption or leap that Ottawa wants Rehkopf. Kitchener doesn’t have the right picks to make that deal if it is simply a picks based deal with no follow up player acquisition.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well, they got the two 2nds. Just missing that extra 3rd or 4th to round it out. Not bad.

Reactions: EvenSteven

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Brady had a good season last year in Pembroke. He grew a bit too. Not a bad signing when you end up adding your 10th rounder based on performance.

That brings us to nine D-Men. Sirman injured to start the season though. Must be another shoe to drop now that HB is off to London.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Brady had a good season last year in Pembroke. He grew a bit too. Not a bad signing when you end up adding your 10th rounder based on performance.

That brings us to nine D-Men. Sirman injured to start the season though. Must be another shoe to drop now that HB is off to London.
I always love it when a kid comes to camp and blows the staff away. We have seen a lot of that on this team, and it is always a way to keep people guessing.

I am glad that the HB situation is resolved and that we did reasonably well.

Now we can look at the on ice product and decide what the next move is.

Have any goalies stood out at camp

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well, they got the two 2nds. Just missing that extra 3rd or 4th to round it out. Not bad.
Good deal I think, all sides should be happy enough.
Though if it was there, I would have taken the Kitchener ‘24-2nd, 3, 4, 4. That 2nd could have turned into a 2, 3 prior to the next draft.

Does it make it easier for London now focus on 2024-25? The streak of 3-4 straight division titles was coming to an anyways, right?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Good deal I think, all sides should be happy enough.
Though if it was there, I would have taken the Kitchener ‘24-2nd, 3, 4, 4. That 2nd could have turned into a 2, 3 prior to the next draft.

Does it make it easier for London now focus on 2024-25? The streak of 3-4 straight division titles was coming to an anyways, right?
They could turn the 2025 pick into a 2nd and 3rd next year if they wanted to. Just a one year delay.

It will come down to what they use them for. It will also come down to what the rest of their plan is for this season. This is just one piece of the puzzle and we can’t see the puzzle pieces yet.

We are now waiting for other shoes to drop. I’m curious to see where they go this year. If Beck returns and wants a trade, what is he worth? How does it affect the team in the short term? Will Pinelli move to centre and excel or stagnate? Will they also move Donoso and is there a landing spot for him? Loads of unanswered questions.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
They could turn the 2025 pick into a 2nd and 3rd next year if they wanted to. Just a one year delay.

It will come down to what they use them for. It will also come down to what the rest of their plan is for this season. This is just one piece of the puzzle and we can’t see the puzzle pieces yet.

We are now waiting for other shoes to drop. I’m curious to see where they go this year. If Beck returns and wants a trade, what is he worth? How does it affect the team in the short term? Will Pinelli move to centre and excel or stagnate? Will they also move Donoso and is there a landing spot for him? Loads of unanswered questions.
A lot of questions but I have to think that no matter how it is framed this is going to be a relaxing year for the team in that they will push to be the best but are not going to make a lot of trades for immediate results.

Yes, they may go for an OA center, but it is not going to be a first-string guy it will be a role play to fill a gap.

Speaking of Pinelli the one thing I have not heard a lot about is how the team looks is no one going to the scrimmages

Do they still have the red white game this weekend

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
A lot of questions but I have to think that no matter how it is framed this is going to be a relaxing year for the team in that they will push to be the best but are not going to make a lot of trades for immediate results.

Yes, they may go for an OA center, but it is not going to be a first-string guy it will be a role play to fill a gap.

Speaking of Pinelli the one thing I have not heard a lot about is how the team looks is no one going to the scrimmages

Do they still have the red white game this weekend

They live streamed the games on YouTube so if you go to their YouTube channel, you can watch them. The video is up. Not play by play, just silent. I haven’t had a chance to watch them.

Regarding this season, if we are to believe the scuttlebutt, it sounds more like a reset year. I’m wondering if next year may be a stretch. Maybe the Mews-Marrelli 19 year old season is the season?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
67‘s sign Zach Houben. So four 16 year olds signed.
So that pretty much eliminates any rookie goalies this year does it not?

Guess any trade will have to include a goalie coming back I really can not see carrying both if we are rebuilding

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
So that pretty much eliminates any rookie goalies this year does it not?

Guess any trade will have to include a goalie coming back I really can not see carrying both if we are rebuilding

I believe they can sign as many as they want but some will have Development cards. Actually, I think they all are on development cards but they need to play something like 10 games before it reverts to a full card. I think the issue with 4 is they can only roster and dress 4 of them.

I highly doubt they would go with a 16 year old goalie anyway. That guy would need to be something special.

Reactions: dirty12

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I believe they can sign as many as they want but some will have Development cards. Actually, I think they all are on development cards but they need to play something like 10 games before it reverts to a full card. I think the issue with 4 is they can only roster and dress 4 of them.

I highly doubt they would go with a 16 year old goalie anyway. That guy would need to be something special.
Fully agree that is why I am wondering what these guys look like.. I think they have to look at who could fill in as a backup goalie. Having Mqac for the next 2 years, a 16-year-old could in fact be a reasonable choice Mybe only play a few games against teams and gets more ice time as they progress. Then it gives us a starting goalie for 2 years down the line.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Since the ‘67s traded their 1st pick, they might only be able to have whitehead and any other two true rookies play 10 games and take up one of the 30? available player cards.

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
JB trade incoming. Also A D on his way out at some point. Looking forward to seeing what this team can bring. Making the drive to Kingston this afternoon to see the new talent

Reactions: BarberPole9

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
JB trade incoming. Also A D on his way out at some point. Looking forward to seeing what this team can bring. Making the drive to Kingston this afternoon to see the new talent
Have you heard anything about Jack Beck? Would the trade be an incoming or outgoing player?

It feels like they are too deep with skilled 17-19 year old wingers. Maybe one could be moved for a high end OA Center?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I imagine any deals where players are being moved out will be for draft picks.

Barring injuries, I don’t think we will see much of Houben this season. Maybe at the Christmas break?

They’ll likely roster Whitehead, Dietsch, and Yanni.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I imagine any deals where players are being moved out will be for draft picks.

Barring injuries, I don’t think we will see much of Houben this season. Maybe at the Christmas break?

They’ll likely roster Whitehead, Dietsch, and Yanni.
I think Houden's future could be tied to Beck. If he comes back, then I agree he will probably go to the CCHL and be cloe by in case of injuries.

If Beck does not come back then I think he will be switching between playing and in the stands.

At 6'4" he is what we had been saying this team needed so I think the idea will be to give him the chance especially in camp to show what he can do and possibly get some minutes.
If Beck comes back I think he will be hard-pressed to make the team or they are going to have to trade one of the other LW

BTW if Beck is trying out for Carlina he is screwed. The Canes do not have an AHL or ECHL affiliate so you either make the team or not.

They are going to be sending their players all over the AHL wherever they can find a spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad