Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The challenge for Ottawa will be trying to get a 2nd rounder in a deal for Donoso. It’s possible but not probable because of the other goalies available considered a better.

We got a 3rd and 5th for Cranley and I thought that was highway robbery. So a 3rd and 5th for Donoso has to be the bar. Whether the demand is high enough to get that to a 2nd and 5th is questionable.

I cannot see the Petes not trading Simpson. I could see North Bay keep DiVincentiis if they feel he returns as an OA and their window is open next year to be competitive. Probably 50-50 on him getting traded but it will depend on the return. I think 3-4 good picks for DiVincentiis is very possible.

If Ottawa could trade MacK in a deal for Leenders, I’d seriously consider it. I like Leenders makeup. I’d then keep Donoso.
Unless Ottawa has a young gun that can be a starter next year, MacK has to stay.
I think that you take what you can get for Donoso, or you platoon them like they did with Keyes and Hillier

Leeender may be good but he is untested so I doubt miss is going to trade him

IM.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Unless Ottawa has a young gun that can be a starter next year, MacK has to stay.
I think that you take what you can get for Donoso, or you platoon them like they did with Keyes and Hillier

Leeender may be good but he is untested so I doubt miss is going to trade him

IM.
Richmond has an ideal opportunity to evaluate two top goalie prospects. I don’t think Miss will trade a goalie either. Maybe Ivankovic at the deadline if they receive an offer too good to refuse.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Richmond has an ideal opportunity to evaluate two top goalie prospects. I don’t think Miss will trade a goalie either. Maybe Ivankovic at the deadline if they receive an offer too good to refuse.
No way in hell are they trading ivankovic. They picked him 7th overall for a reason. Guys going to be an absolute stud and Mississauga will be one of the best teams in the league next season which would be his draft year. 0 chance he’s traded. Leenders would the the one traded if anything.

Reactions: Roadhog and dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
No way in hell are they trading ivankovic. They picked him 7th overall for a reason. Guys going to be an absolute stud and Mississauga will be one of the best teams in the league next season which would be his draft year. 0 chance he’s traded. Leenders would the the one traded if anything.
I did state that I doubted Miss would trade one of those goalies this season, and it would take an offer too good to refuse.

But it has to play out. Richmond may have selected what he believed to be BPA or best trade bait. Leenders had a pretty solid playoff showing as a true rookie against a much better team in NB.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Ottawa has many good D men. Who do they move out is the question? Mayich or Sirman. Sudbury would be interested in one of these guys I'm sure.

WJ

Reactions: BarberPole9

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
the way that the Everett silvertips had carter hart and Dustin wolf is how I think the steelheads are going to try and be with ivankovic and leenders in a few years. Might not be quite at that level but where they have 2 phenomenal goalies for a long time where if one goes down you know you don’t have to worry as much.

Having 2 great goalies like that too would help push eachother to be great.

If they went all in next year or they’d have martone, McDonnell, van volson, leenders and Parker von richters 18 year old seasons and they’d be an absolute wagon. I think that’s what they’re trying to do. Either for next year or the year after. And this year is all about getting to the playoffs maybe winning a round but getting some experience.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If Ivankovic is the player most think he is, and there is no reason to think otherwise, he needs to be a starter at 17. You can’t have Leenders in his way next season. Based on pedigree, both are capable starters as 17 year olds. Mississauga is going to have a problem carrying both of those guy through a full season next year. If they do manage to do it, there is NO chance they can have a 19 year old Leenders and 18 year old Ivankovic. It harkens back to the Owen Sound situation with Jamie Storr and Kevin Weekes.

Even here in Ottawa we are talking about having to trade Donoso to make room for MacK and neither of those guys has the pedigree as either of the two in Missy.

This is a builder year for Missy. If they can find the right landing spot for Leenders and incorporate a solid OA goalie for Ivankovic to play under this year, that would be the perfect situation. Turn your goalie on the bench next season into assets that actually play.

Reactions: Roadhog

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If Ivankovic is the player most think he is, and there is no reason to think otherwise, he needs to be a starter at 17. You can’t have Leenders in his way next season. Based on pedigree, both are capable starters as 17 year olds. Mississauga is going to have a problem carrying both of those guy through a full season next year. If they do manage to do it, there is NO chance they can have a 19 year old Leenders and 18 year old Ivankovic. It harkens back to the Owen Sound situation with Jamie Storr and Kevin Weekes.

Even here in Ottawa we are talking about having to trade Donoso to make room for MacK and neither of those guys has the pedigree as either of the two in Missy.

This is a builder year for Missy. If they can find the right landing spot for Leenders and incorporate a solid OA goalie for Ivankovic to play under this year, that would be the perfect situation. Turn your goalie on the bench next season into assets that actually play.
A 40 - 30 split for Leenders & Ivankovic is fine for both this year. Maybe Ivankovic is as good as DiPietro at 17; maybe as good as Gaudreau, ‘the best OHL goalie prospect in at least 20 years’.
Evaluate the two in the same environment this season, decide in the off-season or Christmas ‘24 which is the starter of a potential title team for 2025-26 most likely.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Not a lot of shots. Pinelli seems to be winning faceoffs as dies Barlas (yes I know itis exihibition.)

How did Hilton get the first star.

I don't expect to see any trades until NHL camp is over and Sirman comes back.

Except for Donoso who I think they ares shopping.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not a lot of shots. Pinelli seems to be winning faceoffs as dies Barlas (yes I know itis exihibition.)

How did Hilton get the first star.

I don't expect to see any trades until NHL camp is over and Sirman comes back.

Except for Donoso who I think they ares shopping.

Trades are a funny thing. Last year they managed to trade both Sawyer and Gill-Shane very early. Hamilton was able to trade Costantini to Kitchener early. So, OA goalies can move early. I don’t have a sense of the market at all right now. We do see a lot of early season movement every year but I am not sure the type of players Ottawa has will move quickly.

Donoso seems to be the #3 goalie on the market or at least what we think the market is. IF Gaudreau is available, then Donoso is probably #4.

Sirman being injured is unfortunate but I really don’t see a market for him. You can always discard players like Sirman for middling picks in the 5th to 7th range but does Ottawa want his roster spot bad enough to simply give him away? They did it last year with Gill-Shane though.

Beck is interesting. I think his best market value will be around Christmas or a little earlier. Does he want to stick around through Christmas though?

I’d like to see Ottawa decide on their roster and make all the moves as early as possible. IF Beck wants out, then trade him even if you leave a little extra on the table. Let the team roll with the guys that want to be there.

I’m most curious about MacLean. He’s a 19 year old seriously big kid. He was a -3 today though. That doesn’t look good. Smyth only played one exhibition game so far. That suggests his roster spot is pretty much set in stone. Maybe a kid like Ewles ends up moving? Who knows?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The question is, if Beck is released in the first group, what does he do? At that stage, i think he has to come back here and realize that his best bet is to get the extra university year and play out his Junior career in hopes that he can get traded to an M Cup team.

As to defence, it is interesting Smyth and Maclean play the same side and are expected to give the same thing in size and strength. Before being traded, Mcalean had the best points total of the 2.

Sirman could be interesting as a team may take him as insurance for forward and defence.
Donoso as you say, is interesting. The only team that seems to be having trouble is Kingston and they did the big sale speech on the goaltenders.

I see Cameron doing a Keyes Hillier move. The part that says that is that they did not keep one of the drafted goalies just to see how they would do in a game.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Trades are a funny thing. Last year they managed to trade both Sawyer and Gill-Shane very early. Hamilton was able to trade Costantini to Kitchener early. So, OA goalies can move early. I don’t have a sense of the market at all right now. We do see a lot of early season movement every year but I am not sure the type of players Ottawa has will move quickly.

Donoso seems to be the #3 goalie on the market or at least what we think the market is. IF Gaudreau is available, then Donoso is probably #4.

Sirman being injured is unfortunate but I really don’t see a market for him. You can always discard players like Sirman for middling picks in the 5th to 7th range but does Ottawa want his roster spot bad enough to simply give him away? They did it last year with Gill-Shane though.

Beck is interesting. I think his best market value will be around Christmas or a little earlier. Does he want to stick around through Christmas though?

I’d like to see Ottawa decide on their roster and make all the moves as early as possible. IF Beck wants out, then trade him even if you leave a little extra on the table. Let the team roll with the guys that want to be there.

I’m most curious about MacLean. He’s a 19 year old seriously big kid. He was a -3 today though. That doesn’t look good. Smyth only played one exhibition game so far. That suggests his roster spot is pretty much set in stone. Maybe a kid like Ewles ends up moving? Who knows?
There seems to be a lot of replacement level 2004-05 born, and little interest in OAs right now. Maybe that is because there is little difference in over all ability. For example LW; Gilmartin waived, Martin, Savard, Beck, Ertel. There isn’t 5 teams wanting OA LW. How much does a team offer for Thorton when Simpson, Gaudreau, and Donoso may also be available. Sagniuk was waived, still there are Christopolous (wrist), Peer, Lockhart, MacCallum …it is not a great year to recoup picks via OAs.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There seems to be a lot of replacement level 2004-05 born, and little interest in OAs right now. Maybe that is because there is little difference in over all ability. For example LW; Gilmartin waived, Martin, Savard, Beck, Ertel. There isn’t 5 teams wanting OA LW. How much does a team offer for Thorton when Simpson, Gaudreau, and Donoso may also be available. Sagniuk was waived, still there are Christopolous (wrist), Peer, Lockhart, MacCallum …it is not a great year to recoup picks via OAs.

You got that straight. It will come down to the value of the upgrade. This is why I say I think Beck’s value is closer to christmas because he will have some runway to prove his value.

I think the goaltenders will straighten out at some point. They aren’t typically high value anyway so it is more likely a kid like Simpson stays in Peterborough if the value isn’t high enough. It is not like they are trying to make room. They are trying to recoup assets. If they cannot recoup assets then he may be worth more to the team as a member of the team. Donoso, on the other hand, needs to be moved to make room for MacK. If Donoso stays, i think he ends up in a backup role or maybe in a 40% of stats role.

The one advantage for Ottawa si if OA’s are in abundance, they can at least fill their open spots cheaply if/when they want to.

Reactions: dirty12

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
I believe this team has been picked

Gerrior/Gardiner/Uronen
Stonehouse/Pinelli/Dever
Foster/Whitehead/Kelly
Hilton/Barlas/Korbler

** (Beck to be traded)

Mayich/Mews
Marrelli/Ewles
Smyth/Brady
Maclan

**Sirman is out until after Christmas.
**Horner is out until November

MacKenzie
Donoso

** I think we are in need of a 2nd pairing D to play with Marrelli & a second line RW hopefully Boyd can address that situation with the Beck deal & if not I still believe this team will win more games than everyone thinks this season.

Hope we address the blank areas with the Beck & Donsso deal & a few other moving pieces before the puck is dropped to start the season

Gerrior/Gardiner/Uronen
Stonehouse/Pinelli/_____
Foster/Barlas/Dever
Kelly/Whitehead/Korbler

Mayich/Mews
Marrelli/____
Smyth/Ewles

Not available
Sirman,Horner

MacKenzie
_________

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I believe this team has been picked

Gerrior/Gardiner/Uronen
Stonehouse/Pinelli/Dever
Foster/Whitehead/Kelly
Hilton/Barlas/Korbler

** (Beck to be traded)

Mayich/Mews
Marrelli/Ewles
Smyth/Brady
Maclan

**Sirman is out until after Christmas.
**Horner is out until November

MacKenzie
Donoso

** I think we are in need of a 2nd pairing D to play with Marrelli & a second line RW hopefully Boyd can address that situation with the Beck deal & if not I still believe this team will win more games than everyone thinks this season.

Did Diestch get sent home???? I think he has to be included in the lineup as he is the Future much like Mews and Marelli and could use the OHL experience.

I don't think we are going to have a 3rd/ 4th line to start I see both getting about the same minutes until one of them steps up or fails OFF. Right now Barlas is proving the better face off man but that can change and we could also see Foster in that role. There are just too many unknowns after the first 2 lines.

Beck and Donoso as discussed are not going to net us any players unless we go with an OA center for Beck.

Donoso may get us another goalie but I am not sure of that either.There are just too many on the market.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Did Diestch get sent home???? I think he has to be included in the lineup as he is the Future much like Mews and Marelli and could use the OHL experience.

I don't think we are going to have a 3rd/ 4th line to start I see both getting about the same minutes until one of them steps up or fails OFF. Right now Barlas is proving the better face off man but that can change and we could also see Foster in that role. There are just too many unknowns after the first 2 lines.

Beck and Donoso as discussed are not going to net us any players unless we go with an OA center for Beck.

Donoso may get us another goalie but I am not sure of that either.There are just too many on the market.
I read that Dietsch will be honing his skills with the Ottawa Jr Senators. He mentioned he hopes to be called up for some regular season 67s games.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If we are looking at players going out and players coming in, look at them as separate transactions. We trade players for picks and then trade picks for players. It is somewhat rare to trade an OA for an OA unless it is at the deadline. Take the Peterborough deal last year into consideration. Hamilton got Panwar in the deal because the Petes traded for two OA’s but only had one OA spot open. So, to make room, Panwar went to Hamilton. The only way we get an OA in return for Beck is if we trade him to a team that already has three OA’s and the one they deem expendable is a player we feel we can use. In the early season, a team can roster four OA’s and dress three so there is no need to worry about that at this stage. If Beck returns and is traded early, it is most likely going to be for draft picks.

I agree with Beast that it is more likely Ottawa plays out the first month to evaluate where they are. I don’t agree with that strategy but I agree that is what they will do. IMO, they should hop on an early OA centre if one becomes available Cheap.

Regarding Dietsch, one of the things we have seen a lot of is a player that will play games at the JrA level but is part of the 67’s team. They participate in 67’s practises and events but simply play games at the lower level. I believe a kid like Dietsch is a candidate for that role. This has worked rather well in the past with some players and I think it is ideal for D-Men in particular.

I feel Kelly is getting dumped down the lineup a little too far. A lot of that is situational right now. BUT! I really think he is capable of a top 6 role on this team. If we were a championship contender, maybe not but under the current circumstances? I think he is a better prospect than Dever and by the time the regular season rolls around, he will be getting more ice time.

I also agree with AG that we are stacked up a little light on the right side of the defence. I need to see a lot more from Ewles and Brady before I feel more comfortable. If Sirman is out until after January, he won’t be traded. Horner‘s return needs to be as quick as possible. He’s a kid that needs some ice time early to be effective int he 2nd half.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I wouldn't be so quick to trade Donoso unless someone comes calling with a great offer. Depth in goal is hugely valuable, and internal competition is always good also. I would be tempted to stand pat and see where this team is heading into December.

Similarly, Boyd shouldn't feel pressured to trade Jack Beck. Presuming that he doesn't get a contract in Carolina, he really has no leverage other than to politely and quietly request a trade. To keep building his scholarship time and to possibly get a pro contract in the Spring, he needs to start playing, and playing well, right away. He can come do that here, and Boyd can re-assess the landscape in December.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I wouldn't be so quick to trade Donoso unless someone comes calling with a great offer. Depth in goal is hugely valuable, and internal competition is always good also. I would be tempted to stand pat and see where this team is heading into December.

Similarly, Boyd shouldn't feel pressured to trade Jack Beck. Presuming that he doesn't get a contract in Carolina, he really has no leverage other than to politely and quietly request a trade. To keep building his scholarship time and to possibly get a pro contract in the Spring, he needs to start playing, and playing well, right away. He can come do that here, and Boyd can re-assess the landscape in December.

The issue for goaltending is MacK needs to be the starter. He has earned it and as a 19 year old he is owed the opportunity. If he doesn't get that opportunity then the team risks him walking out. This has happened many times in the past. Most notably with Anthony Guadagnolo. On a poor Ottawa 67’s team in 2005-2006, Kilrea chose to keep both OA Battochio and 19 year old Guadagnolo. We knew it was going to be a problem and Guadagnolo left the team in the pre-season when he was told it would be shared duties. Battochio was coming off a great season as a 19 year old and would have been highly sought after as an OA. Instead of making the right moves, we lost Guadagnolo for what ended up being a worse draft pick!

These situations happen all the time in the league, especially with goaltenders. You cannot have a capable 19 year old playing behind a capable OA and vice versa. It is part of the program. Find places for players to play. It isn’t about what is best for the team when it comes to goalies. You have to do what is best for the players. They sacrifice a lot of playing time as 17 and 18 year olds knowing their opportunity mostly comes at the back end. You cannot take that away from them when they have proven to be competent.

The team needs to make a decision with respect to the goaltenders and move one ASAP. You can make an argument for keeping either of them and it mostly comes down to value of return and what is lined up for next year. I have made the case for trying to snag Leenders out of Mississauga. If they can do that, then I can see using MacK in a deal. Barring that deal or a similar deal, I don’t think they hav e much of a choice other than to move Donoso.

Regarding Beck, he holds the cards. He will likely be offered an AHL deal at minimum. If he doesnt’ get the right situation to come back to Junior, he may very well accept the AHL offer and move on. The only reason for him to return is to make another move towards an NHL deal. The 67’s have to do what is right for the player or, again, the player just makes a different decision. I don’t know what Beck’s issue is or how patient he is. The management team will have that sense. If he is wiling to be patient through the deadline then I agree. Bring him back and let him build his value. Taht is definitely the best scenario for the 67’s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad