Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Trading for Leenders at this time will not be easy. Would Richmond accept Donoso & 2, 3, 3? Maybe at the deadline if comfortable with Ivankovic as the starter next season.
He needs to be sure what he has in goal. I’m sure Richmond has not forgotten that Gaudreau did not quite live up to the billing of top goalie prospect in 20 years.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Trading for Leenders at this time will not be easy. Would Richmond accept Donoso & 2, 3, 3? Maybe at the deadline if comfortable with Ivankovic as the starter next season.
He needs to be sure what he has in goal. I’m sure Richmond has not forgotten that Gaudreau did not quite live up to the billing of top goalie prospect in 20 years.

I agree but I’m thinking more a MacK deal. If Ivankovic works out great then he trades MacK next season as an OA. If he needs one more year of seasoning, he keeps MacK as the starter OA.

I think MacK provides them with the safety net they need more than Donoso.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree but I’m thinking more a MacK deal. If Ivankovic works out great then he trades MacK next season as an OA. If he needs one more year of seasoning, he keeps MacK as the starter OA.

I think MacK provides them with the safety net they need more than Donoso.
But Miss should not want back a goalie at all. Donoso if not taking away more than a 4th from the return on Leenders would be acceptable; otherwise, run with the two young goalies or wait for the offer of a D very slightly below the top tier born 2005-06.
I would guess the price on MacKenzie at 2, 4. Miss should not paying that, then hope against hope for a better OA goalie market next season.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
But Miss should not want back a goalie at all. Donoso if not taking away more than a 4th from the return on Leenders would be acceptable; otherwise, run with the two young goalies or wait for the offer of a D very slightly below the top tier born 2005-06.
I would guess the price on MacKenzie at 2, 4. Miss should not paying that, then hope against hope for a better OA goalie market next season.

You aren’t looking at it the same way I am.

To Missy:
MacK
Picks and/or D-Man

To Ottawa:
Leenders

Missy has a bonafide Goalie this year in MacK. They can gently move along with Ivankovic and strategically give him suitable games. Next year, when they are contending, they can keep MacK through the deadline and decide if Ivankovic is ready to be the man. If he is, they trade MacK and open an OA spot. Fill a different hole. If Ivankovic isn’t ready, they maintain solid goaltending with MacK and they are fine as a contender.

If they acquire a kid like Donoso this year, there is no safety net for next year. This is why you are suggesting keeping both goalies because it is likely one will work out. That’s fine but if you have a bird in hand now as opposed to two possibles later, that bird in hand may be more valuable especially when the team wants to compete this year. They don’t want to be in a situation where they are struggling with two young goalies.

From an Ottawa perspective, Leenders is younger by two years (than MacK) so they have a better long term solution in net. They sacrifice some results this year, maybe break even next year and benefit a lot the following year.

I get where you are coming from though. Keeping both is fine this year but I really don’t think keeping both next year is rational. The only reason why both are ok is if one simply isn’t ready to be a starter at all which is a scenario they want to avoid anyway.

Reactions: Roadhog

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You aren’t looking at it the same way I am.

To Missy:
MacK
Picks and/or D-Man

To Ottawa:
Leenders

Missy has a bonafide Goalie this year in MacK. They can gently move along with Ivankovic and strategically give him suitable games. Next year, when they are contending, they can keep MacK through the deadline and decide if Ivankovic is ready to be the man. If he is, they trade MacK and open an OA spot. Fill a different hole. If Ivankovic isn’t ready, they maintain solid goaltending with MacK and they are fine as a contender.

If they acquire a kid like Donoso this year, there is no safety net for next year. This is why you are suggesting keeping both goalies because it is likely one will work out. That’s fine but if you have a bird in hand now as opposed to two possibles later, that bird in hand may be more valuable especially when the team wants to compete this year. They don’t want to be in a situation where they are struggling with two young goalies.

From an Ottawa perspective, Leenders is younger by two years (than MacK) so they have a better long term solution in net. They sacrifice some results this year, maybe break even next year and benefit a lot the following year.

I get where you are coming from though. Keeping both is fine this year but I really don’t think keeping both next year is rational. The only reason why both are ok is if one simply isn’t ready to be a starter at all which is a scenario they want to avoid anyway.
Trading Leenders almost straight up for a 19 yr old G makes no sense to me. Miss is not likely a contender next season without fast tracking. That may mean moving a goalie for a top 2005-06 D or great pick package.
Not playing the young goalie in the playoffs the year before a supposed playoff run does not make a lot of sense to me. Sitting MacKenzie for the playoffs would make him irate.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Trading Leenders almost straight up for a 19 yr old G makes no sense to me. Miss is not likely a contender next season without fast tracking. That may mean moving a goalie for a top 2005-06 D or great pick package.
Not playing the young goalie in the playoffs the year before a supposed playoff run does not make a lot of sense to me. Sitting MacKenzie for the playoffs would make him irate.
I disagree. I think next season is their opening salvo for a contention run of probably two seasons. MacK as the starting goalie this year in the playoffs is fine. The goal is to get Ivankovic experience this regular season as a 16 year old. Having him stumble through an early playoff exit does him no good. Besides, I don’t see Missy as a first round winner anyway. T he only way they win the first round is if they somehow manage to get a favourable matchup and MacK does what MacK does. And if that happens, it is a net benefit for the team because the skaters get into a second round and that is beneficial for many reasons.

If Ivankovic shows he can handle the load by the halfway point next year, you are trading MacK at the deadline. You rep the asset return he can bring, plus you open up an OA spot to fill another position of need.

No matter how you look at it, unless one of Leenders or Ivankovic shits the bed, you cannot have both of those goalies on your roster after the deadline next year. One of them is going to be unhappy And looking for a move the following season. If Missy feels they can maximize the return by making that move now, then it should be done. If they feel they can maximize the return next year’s deadline then so be it. I am framing it from an Ottawa 67’s perspective.

When discussing the asset return, that is speculation. I feel MacK is worth around a 2nd and 5th right now. Leenders is probably worth a 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Ottawa would need to bridge that gap.

Missy is set up nicely in net for two years and Ottawa fills their gap for 3+ years. Missy get more immediate benefit and Ottawa gets it more in the future. Based on both teams needs, it is a win-win.

You can argue successfully that waiting until next year would be more beneficial for Missy and you may very well be right but there is risk in that. First, one or both of the young kids could fall flat on their face and you get nothing. Second, the market for goalie movement may be very dry.

This is all speculation anyway. I doubt Ottawa would entertain moving MacK. This is just an exercise in theory. More of a, “What would it take to move MacK instead of Donoso“ discussion. And, that is what I believe it would take to move MacK. That or MacK requesting a trade.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
How long till we find out some good news regarding Mr Beck?

It is unlikely Beck signs with Carolina. They lost their AHL affiliation with Chicago Wolves and wont’ be able to replace them until next season. So, they are already trying to send Europeans back to Europe for a year and are actively trying to loan players out to other organizations.

That said, Beck could sign an NHL contract and return to the OHL for an overage season. If that happens, it likely won’t happen until well into the preseason schedule that opens on sept 28th. So, either Beck is returned after their rookie camp finishes somewhere around Sept 22nd or more likely later September to early October.

2nd and 3rd? Or 2 2nds?
I’m kind of torn on that question. I feel his ceiling is two 2nds. But, I think because of his injuries and his lack of goals scored last year, that the 2nd and 3rd is probably more accurate.

Reactions: LDN

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Miss is not likely a contender next season without fast tracking. That may mean moving a goalie for a top 2005-06 D or great pick package.
Not playing the young goalie in the playoffs before a supposed playoff run does not make a lot of sense to me. Sitting MacKenzie for the playoffs would make him irate.
I disagree. I think next season is their opening salvo for a contention run of probably two seasons. MacK as the starting goalie this year in the playoffs is fine. The goal is to get Ivankovic experience this regular season as a 16 year old. Having him stumble through an early playoff exit does him no good. Besides, I don’t see Missy as a first round winner anyway. T he only way they win the first round is if they somehow manage to get a favourable matchup and MacK does what MacK does. And if that happens, it is a net benefit for the team because the skaters get into a second round and that is beneficial for many reasons.

If Ivankovic shows he can handle the load by the halfway point next year, you are trading MacK at the deadline. You rep the asset return he can bring, plus you open up an OA spot to fill another position of need.

No matter how you look at it, unless one of Leenders or Ivankovic shits the bed, you cannot have both of those goalies on your roster after the deadline next year. One of them is going to be unhappy And looking for a move the following season. If Missy feels they can maximize the return by making that move now, then it should be done. If they feel they can maximize the return next year’s deadline then so be it. I am framing it from an Ottawa 67’s perspective.

When discussing the asset return, that is speculation. I feel MacK is worth around a 2nd and 5th right now. Leenders is probably worth a 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Ottawa would need to bridge that gap.

Missy is set up nicely in net for two years and Ottawa fills their gap for 3+ years. Missy get more immediate benefit and Ottawa gets it more in the future. Based on both teams needs, it is a win-win.

You can argue successfully that waiting until next year would be more beneficial for Missy and you may very well be right but there is risk in that. First, one or both of the young kids could fall flat on their face and you get nothing. Second, the market for goalie movement may be very dry.

This is all speculation anyway. I doubt Ottawa would entertain moving MacK. This is just an exercise in theory. More of a, “What would it take to move MacK instead of Donoso“ discussion. And, that is what I believe it would take to move MacK. That or MacK requesting a trade.
Miss is one of a handful of teams that might contend next season. Probably not as good as Barrie, but unlike Barrie set up iin goal. Dependant on this years direction, Ottawa or Kingston and Hamilton should be the teams from the east.

Miss should be certain of what they have in their young goalies. Don’t assume he will be any better than Gaudreau (the top goalie prospect in 20 years).
I just can’t see Leenders traded for a 19 yr old goalie, not when Thorton, Gaudreau, Donoso and extra picks can be had. Miss cannot have Ivankovic be the starter of a possible playoff contender with zero playoff games played imo.

Reactions: EvenSteven

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Ottawa has such a great culture, as good as any in the league the past five years. If a player doesn’t want to be here, you move him on as quickly and quietly as possible. You wish him well and move on.

It seems that Donoso and Mackenzie are both happy here. Does anybody know that one wants to be moved? If Beck is indeed traded, why trade one of the G’s if they are both happy. On top of this, this doesn’t seem like a seller’s market for goalies with as many as five good Goalies available. Let’s not complicate things too much.

Reactions: LDN

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
2nd and 3rd? Or 2 2nds?
I would have to believe that any draft picks received for Jack Beck would have to conditional upon him being able to play a certain amount of games given his injury history.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa has such a great culture, as good as any in the league the past five years. If a player doesn’t want to be here, you move him on as quickly and quietly as possible. You wish him well and move on.

It seems that Donoso and Mackenzie are both happy here. Does anybody know that one wants to be moved? If Beck is indeed traded, why trade one of the G’s if they are both happy. On top of this, this doesn’t seem like a seller’s market for goalies with as many as five good Goalies available. Let’s not complicate things too much.

The only question that needs to be answered is whether Donoso is ok as an OA starting 20 games as a backup. MacK is the better goalie and I feel proved it last year. He deserves the starting role.

Do you think Donoso is willing to play max once per week as an OA? If that answer is yea, then I am fine keeping both goalies, at least until they need to fill that OA spot with a player more productive than the guy opening the bench door75% of games.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I would have to believe that any draft picks received for Jack Beck would have to conditional upon him being able to play a certain amount of games given his injury history.

Beck hasn’t had the type of injuries that suggest that to be a part of any deal. Nothing that would be considered lingering.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It is unlikely Beck signs with Carolina. They lost their AHL affiliation with Chicago Wolves and wont’ be able to replace them until next season. So, they are already trying to send Europeans back to Europe for a year and are actively trying to loan players out to other organizations.

That said, Beck could sign an NHL contract and return to the OHL for an overage season. If that happens, it likely won’t happen until well into the preseason schedule that opens on sept 28th. So, either Beck is returned after their rookie camp finishes somewhere around Sept 22nd or more likely later September to early October.

I’m kind of torn on that question. I feel his ceiling is two 2nds. But, I think because of his injuries and his lack of goals scored last year, that the 2nd and 3rd is probably more accurate.
Beck will be one of the first cuts, I think. He has no experience and is on a PTO basis. If Carolina had an AHL team, then I think he might be able to put an argument to try there. I think the best thing that could happen to Beck is to get sent to Norfolk by the ECHL team. Yeah, I know all about the games, but as it is the only affiliate that they have, he will have a chance to establish himself in their organization by playing regularly in front of Carolina staff. Then next year, he will have a chance at the AHL team.

If not, then I think in November, you trade his. Preferably for an OA center or draft picks to replace those lost getting the OA center.

Donoso needs to go. I am not sold on the Miss Idea but then again you never know. I am also confused that Ottawa did not keep one of the draftees up and play them so they could show what they have.

If we are trading Donoso and he is the most likely then Boyd has 2 choices. Trade him for a pick and a back up. Trade him get a couple of picks nothing big and bring up one of the players who is shining where they are. personally, I think Boyd and Cameron have talked to them both and both are happy to play a split season barring getting a chance to play for a Cup contender.

Did anyone see the other goalies in camp before they were sent away?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Beck will be one of the first cuts, I think. He has no experience and is on a PTO basis. If Carolina had an AHL team, then I think he might be able to put an argument to try there. I think the best thing that could happen to Beck is to get sent to Norfolk by the ECHL team. Yeah, I know all about the games, but as it is the only affiliate that they have, he will have a chance to establish himself in their organization by playing regularly in front of Carolina staff. Then next year, he will have a chance at the AHL team.

If not, then I think in November, you trade his. Preferably for an OA center or draft picks to replace those lost getting the OA center.

Donoso needs to go. I am not sold on the Miss Idea but then again you never know. I am also confused that Ottawa did not keep one of the draftees up and play them so they could show what they have.

If we are trading Donoso and he is the most likely then Boyd has 2 choices. Trade him for a pick and a back up. Trade him get a couple of picks nothing big and bring up one of the players who is shining where they are. personally, I think Boyd and Cameron have talked to them both and both are happy to play a split season barring getting a chance to play for a Cup contender.

Did anyone see the other goalies in camp before they were sent away?

Just for the fun of devils advocate (I agree with what you are saying for the most part). Here are a couple scenario’s to look at going forward.

Jack Beck - Because Carolina doesn’t have an AHL affiliate, there is the possibility they could sign Beck to an NHL contract but reassign him to the OHL. He then comes back and moves on to London (or somewhere else), gets a ton of ice and goes deep in the playoffs. He gets loads of ice time and works hard on his game at a level that is strong enough to challenge him but weak enough that he gets a chance to lead. I can see that scenario playing out. Carolina only has 40 contracts assigned so they have 10 open spots. They are less likely to sign players that need to play in the higher levels of the pro leagues. They may take a flier on a kid like Beck. Odds? Maybe a little better than I first thought. The situation may actually benefit Beck. Why else would he choose to go to tht camp over other potential opportunities? Maybe there is something to this scenario.

Donoso - To me, it is just a matter of time. It makes zero sense for him nor the team to waste competent starting goalies by sitting one every game.

OA Centre - To me it really comes down to the competency of Pinelli as a centre. If he can hold down the 2nd line centre role, maybe they can make it work but there is no depth for injury issues. I really think we need an OA centre but just someone competent. It doesn’t need to be a star if we are rebuilding. See if they can snag someone off waivers early or maybe snag someone cheap. I point to the Johnston waiver claim two seasons ago. That was a great addition. A kid like that would fit in nicely, eat some minutes and provide some experience to help the younger wingers out.

Other goalies - I think the writing is on the wall. Either they are committed to the two guys they have and there is no need to have another one tagging along or they weren't comfortable giving any other goalies a start in the preseason. I do think they like Nelson a lot but at 16, they need to get him ice time. Strategically, it seems better to get him into games this year in tier II.

16 year olds - It looks like Whitehead is the only holdover from camp. I think that has a lot to do with the returning depth. May as well let the young kids play in a more meaningful role in Tier II. We’ll see what happens as the year progresses. They could decide to move a couple players if the return is adequate which means we may see some of those guys closer to the second half. Dietsch looked a little behind. Yanni will likely stick around for a bit. They did add Hilton from last years draft. They will want to look more at him as a 17 year old. Plus they need to get Korbler some ice as a 17 year old. It isn’t like they have throw away players at forward that are 18 or 19. If they add an OA centre, that bumps another guy out of the starting 12.

If not for injury to both Sirman and Horner, they’d be in tough to get the returning guys enough ice time let alone the 16 year old. This is a great opportunity to get a look at MacLEan and Brady. It looks like moving a D-Man at this point is unlikely.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Stonehouse to Edmonton's rookie camp.
MacKenzie to Senators rookie camp.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Stonehouse to Edmonton's rookie camp.
MacKenzie to Senators rookie camp.

Be interesting to know who they bring up to practice with the team as a goalie. I think Mack will be there a short time, but would still think they want to have 2 goalies at practice

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Stonehouse and MacK will be back early this week. Both Edmonton and Ottawa are set and really, there is no drastic need to sign either them or Beck for that matter, As to Carolina tying up money on Beck I do not see it. I think that they will send him back and if someone in the team likes him, they will have the scouts keep an eye on him.

As far as goalies I think you are going to see a 50/50 scenario where they spit the games much like Kilelr did with Hillier and Keyes.

2 reasons to do this.

1. as you said neither guy is going to want to do only 20 games
2. It is the only way they can showcase their goalies for a possible trade. Assuming Dono has a good year and it is at the top of the league stats at the trade deadline someone looking to make a run might trade for him. Right now yes the pickings are slim but if Donoso is one of the top 5 in the league stats-wise his value goes up.

3. Beck is an unknown. Even though the injuries are not related, they still have an effect. It is also a hindrance in that teams look at someone and say Man, this kid is snake bit. I also see him as a mid-season trade after he proves himself.

Saginaw does not hve a reliable goalie could Donoso go there.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Stonehouse and MacK will be back early this week. Both Edmonton and Ottawa are set and really, there is no drastic need to sign either them or Beck for that matter, As to Carolina tying up money on Beck I do not see it. I think that they will send him back and if someone in the team likes him, they will have the scouts keep an eye on him.

As far as goalies I think you are going to see a 50/50 scenario where they spit the games much like Kilelr did with Hillier and Keyes.

2 reasons to do this.

1. as you said neither guy is going to want to do only 20 games
2. It is the only way they can showcase their goalies for a possible trade. Assuming Dono has a good year and it is at the top of the league stats at the trade deadline someone looking to make a run might trade for him. Right now yes the pickings are slim but if Donoso is one of the top 5 in the league stats-wise his value goes up.

3. Beck is an unknown. Even though the injuries are not related, they still have an effect. It is also a hindrance in that teams look at someone and say Man, this kid is snake bit. I also see him as a mid-season trade after he proves himself.

Saginaw does not hve a reliable goalie could Donoso go there.

Not really much to talk about other than what we’ve already talked about. The team (and fans) are in wait and see mode right now. They haven’t played in over a week and won’t play again until next Saturday. Regular season opens in 2 weeks. A couple injuries on the blueline will keep them from making a move there. Beck needs to be confirmed returned prior to potentially being traded so we have to wait on that. Another team will need a goalie before we start getting answers on the MacK/Donoso situation. In a perfect World, two capable starting goalies will be willing to split the load but we all know how well that usually works out…. It usually ends with the better and younger of the two goalies requesting a trade and waiting at home until it happens. Then the team gets f all for the player in a trade and we are where we are anyway, just less in hand. Keep in mind, we traded Cranley to make room for Donoso so it is not like this hasn’t happened recently.

Reactions: beastintheeast

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Not really much to talk about other than what we’ve already talked about. The team (and fans) are in wait and see mode right now. They haven’t played in over a week and won’t play again until next Saturday. Regular season opens in 2 weeks. A couple injuries on the blueline will keep them from making a move there. Beck needs to be confirmed returned prior to potentially being traded so we have to wait on that. Another team will need a goalie before we start getting answers on the MacK/Donoso situation. In a perfect World, two capable starting goalies will be willing to split the load but we all know how well that usually works out…. It usually ends with the better and younger of the two goalies requesting a trade and waiting at home until it happens. Then the team gets f all for the player in a trade and we are where we are anyway, just less in hand. Keep in mind, we traded Cranley to make room for Donoso so it is not like this hasn’t happened recently.
Looking at the line up that we have on the OHL site I think the team is set except for a couple of people.

Beck - is he going to be traded if so then to me the sooner, the better. If he is traded for picks then it makes room for Yanni possibly or an OA center

Either way we should have all our forwards back by saturday's game

Mayich will not be back until next week some time.
Donoso - the situation is not quite the same as Cranley in that we had a pretty good idea that MacK was ready and we also have Donoso. Right now we don't have a backup goalie so that is an issue.

Defence we have Smyth and Maclean both sort of play the same game. we also have the injuries so does Cameron go with a smaller bench or does he keep the 8 healthy players for a while until the inured players are healthy.

right now I do not see a number 1 line. What I see is 2lines that will split those minutes until one of them starts to dominate the opposition.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Looking at the line up that we have on the OHL site I think the team is set except for a couple of people.

Beck - is he going to be traded if so then to me the sooner, the better. If he is traded for picks then it makes room for Yanni possibly or an OA center

Either way we should have all our forwards back by saturday's game

Mayich will not be back until next week some time.
Donoso - the situation is not quite the same as Cranley in that we had a pretty good idea that MacK was ready and we also have Donoso. Right now we don't have a backup goalie so that is an issue.

Defence we have Smyth and Maclean both sort of play the same game. we also have the injuries so does Cameron go with a smaller bench or does he keep the 8 healthy players for a while until the inured players are healthy.

right now I do not see a number 1 line. What I see is 2lines that will split those minutes until one of them starts to dominate the opposition.

I know you are trying to spurn some conversations because it is boring right now but we need to wait for some shoes to drop before there is anything of substance to discuss.

1> A backup goalie can be acquired easily. There are loads of backups that are capable of playing against the weaker teams in our conference. I wouldn’t worry about a back up at this point. If the right deal comes along, the 67’s will make it.
2> The defence is set until injured guys are back. There are 10 guys and Dietsch is going to play in Tier II where he can get more ice time. Once Horner is back, we have a double up with him and Brady. Once Sirman is back, we have the double up with Smyth and Maclean. But, neither are back for quite some time. That gives the coaching staff enough opportunity to evaluate both Brady and Maclean. Their performance will dictate the next moves on defence. That means we need to eat games and time before that truly becomes a discussion point. The only question is if Sirman isn’t slated to return until deep into January, does he get traded?
3> Regarding line hierarchy, we need to eat games and time to allow for evaluation. Pinelli has been used as a centre in the pre-season. The coaching staff needs to evaluate his ability to play that position competently int he regular season. But, as of now, the #1 line is Gardiner with Uronen and Gerrior. If Pinelli plays centre well and Beck comes back and doesn’t get traded then those two plus Stonehouse likely comprise a more traditional #1 line. But, again, we need to wait to see how things play out.
4> OA Centre. If one becomes available that suits the needs of the team then so be it. At this point, one needs to become available. A lot of players are at NHL camps. Jsut like us waiting on Beck, other teams are waiting on their players.

This is a waiting game right now. Other than rehashing the same conversations with the same viewpoints, there really isn’t anything to talk about. We haven’t played a game in over a week and won’t play another one until Saturday. So we can’t even discuss performance. There have only been four trades league wide since we moved HB. Only one of those trades were significant, maybe two depending on your perspective. Maybe if another OA centre that would suit Ottawa were moved, we could talk about why Ottawa didn’t make the move but not even that is happening.

Once kids start getting returned from NHL camps and the team starts rounding into form and we see management releasing players to Tier II, a more complete picture will be revealed. Until then? Ho hum.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I know you are trying to spurn some conversations because it is boring right now but we need to wait for some shoes to drop before there is anything of substance to discuss.

1> A backup goalie can be acquired easily. There are loads of backups that are capable of playing against the weaker teams in our conference. I wouldn’t worry about a back up at this point. If the right deal comes along, the 67’s will make it.
2> The defence is set until injured guys are back. There are 10 guys and Dietsch is going to play in Tier II where he can get more ice time. Once Horner is back, we have a double up with him and Brady. Once Sirman is back, we have the double up with Smyth and Maclean. But, neither are back for quite some time. That gives the coaching staff enough opportunity to evaluate both Brady and Maclean. Their performance will dictate the next moves on defence. That means we need to eat games and time before that truly becomes a discussion point. The only question is if Sirman isn’t slated to return until deep into January, does he get traded?
3> Regarding line hierarchy, we need to eat games and time to allow for evaluation. Pinelli has been used as a centre in the pre-season. The coaching staff needs to evaluate his ability to play that position competently int he regular season. But, as of now, the #1 line is Gardiner with Uronen and Gerrior. If Pinelli plays centre well and Beck comes back and doesn’t get traded then those two plus Stonehouse likely comprise a more traditional #1 line. But, again, we need to wait to see how things play out.
4> OA Centre. If one becomes available that suits the needs of the team then so be it. At this point, one needs to become available. A lot of players are at NHL camps. Jsut like us waiting on Beck, other teams are waiting on their players.

This is a waiting game right now. Other than rehashing the same conversations with the same viewpoints, there really isn’t anything to talk about. We haven’t played a game in over a week and won’t play another one until Saturday. So we can’t even discuss performance. There have only been four trades league wide since we moved HB. Only one of those trades were significant, maybe two depending on your perspective. Maybe if another OA centre that would suit Ottawa were moved, we could talk about why Ottawa didn’t make the move but not even that is happening.

Once kids start getting returned from NHL camps and the team starts rounding into form and we see management releasing players to Tier II, a more complete picture will be revealed. Until then? Ho hum.
Just an outside perspective but it would seem Owen Sound and Ottawa could be a good match for a trade. Owen Sound has a surplus of OAs and Ottawa has a surplus of 04 Dmen. It looks like Sam Sedley and Ethan Burroughs are both locks in Owen Sound leaving one of Kaleb Lawrence and Deni Goure as odd man out. Would Deni Goure be the type of OA centre Ottawa would have interest in? It would seem he'd be a better fit than Lawrence but certainly the more expensive of the two. Both played centre in Owen Sound last year though Lawrence is listed as a LW. Goure would provide some offensive punch for Ottawa, especially if Beck leaves. Could Mayich be pried out of Ottawa or would you consider him untouchable? Obviously Owen Sound would need to offer more than Goure but Mayich would be an ideal upgrade on the Attack blue line. Just curious what Ottawa's perspective on the idea might be?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Just an outside perspective but it would seem Owen Sound and Ottawa could be a good match for a trade. Owen Sound has a surplus of OAs and Ottawa has a surplus of 04 Dmen. It looks like Sam Sedley and Ethan Burroughs are both locks in Owen Sound leaving one of Kaleb Lawrence and Deni Goure as odd man out. Would Deni Goure be the type of OA centre Ottawa would have interest in? It would seem he'd be a better fit than Lawrence but certainly the more expensive of the two. Both played centre in Owen Sound last year though Lawrence is listed as a LW. Goure would provide some offensive punch for Ottawa, especially if Beck leaves. Could Mayich be pried out of Ottawa or would you consider him untouchable? Obviously Owen Sound would need to offer more than Goure but Mayich would be an ideal upgrade on the Attack blue line. Just curious what Ottawa's perspective on the idea might be?

It depends on a few factors that haven’t been addressed by the 67’s through clear operational moves. We don’t know if Ottawa is looking to compete a t the top of the conference or look to recoup assets while trying to be respectable. Taht answer will help to determine what types of moves they will make. Goure may cost a little more than they are willing to part with. Lawrence has the body type they seem to be focusing on though. If he can honestly play the centre position on the 3rd line, I could see him being a target. The cost would be minimal compared to Goure and helps address size needs on the 67s. If the 67’s then choose to make a run, they could still acquire another OA Centre and shift Lawrence to the wing if necessary.

So, if Lawrence can truly skate at pace as a centre, then I could see him in that role but I don’t think Lawrence can skate at the pace required for the Ottawa system. He’s likely a fit at wing for Ottawa. That makes him more questionable. But, again, if they are in a holding pattern looking to be respectable then maybe that changes the focus.

Reactions: Stellar29
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad