Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Mews 3 assists in Canada's 14-4 shellacking of Slovakia in the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, zero points for Marelli or Korbler

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That Hlinka-Gretzky Cup really has that, "summer hockey with zero defence" vibe to it. ;-) Everyone is playing run and gun and trying to show off for the scouts, which is great unless you're a goaltender facing countless breakaways and odd man rushes all game...

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Zero points for the 67's 3 in todays 5-0 win for Canada over Switzerland.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Zero points for the 67's 3 in todays 5-0 win for Canada over Switzerland.
That's OK - held them to something like 14 shots all game, which tells me that Canada was playing some much improved team defence. I'm excited about Mews and Marrelli - both might be first round picks next June (Mews for sure, Marrelli a possibility) and because they are defencemen, it's pretty likely that they would be back here for their D+1 seasons at a minimum. I think some fans might be sleeping on just how good our blueline will be with these two logging close to 30 minutes a night each...

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That's OK - held them to something like 14 shots all game, which tells me that Canada was playing some much improved team defence. I'm excited about Mews and Marrelli - both might be first round picks next June (Mews for sure, Marrelli a possibility) and because they are defencemen, it's pretty likely that they would be back here for their D+1 seasons at a minimum. I think some fans might be sleeping on just how good our blueline will be with these two logging close to 30 minutes a night each...

Marrelli really came into his own in the playoffs. IMO, he outperformed Mews. If he has a strong summer of training, he should return as a leader on the back end. He has the physical tools to be a force at the OHL level. His height may be a drawback at the NHL level.

The back end will be strong for sure. Wings will be strong as well. They will stay in games And be competitive.

It will come down to whether they prioritize the following season for a run or not. They could acquire two OA Centres and empty whatever picks they have left from the closet and make a bit of a run. BUT, it will make it tough going forward.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Mews stock has to be going up with his play inthe HG Cup. It is too bad that they do not list +- I am sure then that we would see a diference between Marelli and Mews.

With them and our returning cast I think that defence and goaltending are not a worry. Also with the goalscoreres we hae returning if we can find people to win faceoffs we are going to be a power in the league again this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Mews stock has to be going up with his play inthe HG Cup. It is too bad that they do not list +- I am sure then that we would see a diference between Marelli and Mews.

With them and our returning cast I think that defence and goaltending are not a worry. Also with the goalscoreres we hae returning if we can find people to win faceoffs we are going to be a power in the league again this year.

They need to pick a year. This one or next. If they go get an OA centre with any sort of pedigree early. We’ll have our answer.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They need to pick a year. This one or next. If they go get an OA centre with any sort of pedigree early. We’ll have our answer.
Should Bzrustewicz turn out to be defective, the ‘67s could possibly turn that into Zito and pick 21-23 in the 2024 draft.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Should Bzrustewicz turn out to be defective, the ‘67s could possibly turn that into Zito and pick 21-23 in the 2024 draft.

Zito would be a good get. Type of player that would fill a hole.

I still think you make your run with mostly the same back end in 24-25. The key components of the back end all return the following year but are one year older and more experienced…..

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I still think you make your run with mostly the same back end in 24-25. The key components of the back end all return the following year but are one year older and more experienced…..
Yeah, Marelli & Mews are not yet top pairing for a strong contender. The ‘67s D is most definitely better set up for 2024-25, and 2025-26 especially

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah, Marelli & Mews are not yet top pairing for a strong contender. The ‘67s D is most definitely better set up for 2024-25, and 2025-26 especially
And Mackenzie will be an OA in 24-25, as will potentially Mayich.

24-25 back end:

Marrelli - Mews
Mayich(OA) - Brzustewicz
Dietsch - Ewles
Horner

Mackenzie(OA)
Nelson

For 23-24, it is the same except add Donoso, Smyth and Sirman who all could be moved if priority is given to 24-25.

When someone says the back end this year is looking really good, how does it look the following year with all the same names in place?

To me, their priority is to unearth a returning centre somehow that is capable of top 6. If they do, their front end for 24-25 would look like:

Pinelli - Gardiner - Stonehouse(OA)
Foster - trade - Uronen
Barlas - Whitehead - Kelly
Hilton - Import - Dever
Yanni

I think that roster has a chance depending on the depth of rosters like Mississauga.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
And Mackenzie will be an OA in 24-25, as will potentially Mayich.

24-25 back end:

Marrelli - Mews
Mayich(OA) - Brzustewicz
Dietsch - Ewles
Horner

Mackenzie(OA)
Nelson

For 23-24, it is the same except add Donoso, Smyth and Sirman who all could be moved if priority is given to 24-25.

When someone says the back end this year is looking really good, how does it look the following year with all the same names in place?

To me, their priority is to unearth a returning centre somehow that is capable of top 6. If they do, their front end for 24-25 would look like:

Pinelli - Gardiner - Stonehouse(OA)
Foster - trade - Uronen
Barlas - Whitehead - Kelly
Hilton - Import - Dever
Yanni

I think that roster has a chance depending on the depth of rosters like Mississauga.
That is an east division contending roster. The listed D will still be a bit young and small for me to believe it would be the top D corps in the OHL though. London, SSM, possibly Guelph depending on which players are made expendable this season, probably Barrie and Erie will be in the mix of top D corps as well.
A lot can and will happen before the 2024-25 season. Barrie, Miss, Ottawa, and one of Brantford or Kingston have to be early favourites in the conference though.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That is an east division contending roster. The listed D will still be a bit young and small for me to believe it would be the top D corps in the OHL though. London, SSM, possibly Guelph depending on which players are made expendable this season, probably Barrie and Erie will be in the mix of top D corps as well.
A lot can and will happen before the 2024-25 season. Barrie, Miss, Ottawa, and one of Brantford or Kingston have to be early favourites in the conference though.

Mayich is a big kid. Marrelli, Ewles and Horner play big but aren’t necessarily players with size, that’s for sure.

Who knows what Brzustewicz will be like by then but he isn’t small. He’s already 200lb. We need to see him in action first before we can really count on him. He hasn’t even signed yet.

Some kids get disgruntled and others fall out of favour for different reasons. We will see how they fare this season if they decide to move some players out.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Mayich is a big kid. Marrelli, Ewles and Horner play big but aren’t necessarily players with size, that’s for sure.

Who knows what Brzustewicz will be like by then but he isn’t small. He’s already 200lb. We need to see him in action first before we can really count on him. He hasn’t even signed yet.

Some kids get disgruntled and others fall out of favour for different reasons. We will see how they fare this season if they decide to move some players out.
My bad. I saw the name, and first thought was ~180-185 lbs but plays like 145lbs.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

If the goal this year is to get picks then I would sugest that instead of aplayer that they look at 2nd round picks plus. the idea being that that would givie us 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.

Kingston did that and gended up with some pretty good players.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
As stated we are prett good for a few years in goal and defence. There are a couple of things I worry about.
1. finding centers in the draft that can play center at the OHL level. Not through trades
2. Boyd and Cameron how long will they be here before they gets an offer they can't refuse.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If the goal this year is to get picks then I would sugest that instead of aplayer that they look at 2nd round picks plus. the idea being that that would givie us 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.

Kingston did that and gended up with some pretty good players.
If the goal is to get pick to restock the cupboard then they won’t want 2024 picks. They will want them in 2025 so they would be more valuable trade chips going into the deadline on 24-25.

I’m not sure they have the horses to get a lot of picks this year. Beck and Donoso come to mind but I don’t think we’d get a 2nd in the Donoso deal. We’d likely only get one 2nd in the Beck deal as an OA.

If they decide to keep Gerrior then they could look at trading Stonehouse. He’d fetch a big haul at the deadline but I really can’t see them trading Stonehouse.

Smyth, Sirman and Dever are all possibilities but none of those guys are big return trades either.

Rohrer was the most likely of the trade candidates to get a basket of decent picks. Him and Beck. Now? I’m not sure the returns of a strategic minor sell off would net much capital.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
If the goal is to get pick to restock the cupboard then they won’t want 2024 picks. They will want them in 2025 so they would be more valuable trade chips going into the deadline on 24-25.

I’m not sure they have the horses to get a lot of picks this year. Beck and Donoso come to mind but I don’t think we’d get a 2nd in the Donoso deal. We’d likely only get one 2nd in the Beck deal as an OA.

If they decide to keep Gerrior then they could look at trading Stonehouse. He’d fetch a big haul at the deadline but I really can’t see them trading Stonehouse.

Smyth, Sirman and Dever are all possibilities but none of those guys are big return trades either.

Rohrer was the most likely of the trade candidates to get a basket of decent picks. Him and Beck. Now? I’m not sure the returns of a strategic minor sell off would net much capital.
If you are looking towards 34-35 then it makes sense to get players that are going to play this year. I think that if you look at the year after then you are looking at having a pretty stacked team for 25-26 AND ALSO 26-27 when they would be looking at M Cup hosting. Looking at kitchener because I think he wants to play with big brother they really do ot have a lot of players to offer

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If you are looking towards 34-35 then it makes sense to get players that are going to play this year. I think that if you look at the year after then you are looking at having a pretty stacked team for 25-26 AND ALSO 26-27 when they would be looking at M Cup hosting. Looking at kitchener because I think he wants to play with big brother they really do ot have a lot of players to offer

I think it is too early to project rosters out three years. We are looking at last year’s 16 year olds as the 19 year olds. Technically we only have three of them. This year’s rookie class haven‘t stepped on the ice yet so we really don’t know what we have there. We have no clue about goaltending either so far out. Two more draft classes will enter the league.

If the 67’s targeted for a Memorial Cup Host, that’s fine but if they do, they would need to ensure the new building is up and at this point I really don’t think they could count on that. Additionally, it isn’t about the new rink as much as the rest of the project. That new rink could be ready in three years but the rest of the site would be a construction project. I think the 67’s would need to look two rotations away for a hosting opportunity if we are being realistic. The whole north side stands come down AFTER the new rink is built and then they put up the mixed use retail/residential units and the new North Side stands after the demolition. That alone would be at least 2 years to complete with no delays. And that is if OSEG is able to shift resources to the 2nd phase immediately after the rink is constructed.

Personally, as much as this team could be good with two savvy OA acquisitions at centre, we just can’t enter the following year with no picks In each of the next two seasons. We dropped a lot of draft capital on Morrison and Mintyukov. We need to somehow regain at least half of that back and at this point, short of a sell off, I cannot see how we will get ever 1/3 of those picks back. The draft pick database needs to be updated to reflect the Cranley trade but as of right now, we have ZERO 2nds, 3rds or 4ths in 2025 and 2026. That is tough to swallow.

A lot of really tough decisions lay ahead for Boyd and team. I don’t envy their position, that is for sure.

Reactions: three dog night
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad