Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
You beat me to it! There have been exceptions and I will add that there are rumours there will be further rules tweaked to allow early exit for top players. Maybe just rumours but enough whispers to assume there is at least discussion.

Also keep in mind that he misses the window because of injury. He was sent back at a reasonable date and IMO if a player is sent back but misses games due to injury, those games should count as a reasonable factor. If he were sent back by the OHL player assignment deadline and he only played those 15 games or so because it was so late in the season ot may be a different discussion.
The question on the injury would be if he was able to play but Seattle did not want him to play until he was 100%. If they did make the request to sit him out, then they were controlling the situation and if that was the reason he did not play the required games to meet the threshold for a season he should be deemed not to have met the threshold. I do not want the OHL to grant this exception because of the precedent is sets on future situations. This why I don’t think the league should have done it in 2021 with the players that had played in the AHL during the cancelled season. Even at the AHL level he was not providing very much offence so another year in the OHL might allow him to get his game back on track and humble him abit.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeylegend11

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The question on the injury would be if he was able to play but Seattle did not want him to play until he was 100%. If they did make the request to sit him out, then they were controlling the situation and if that was the reason he did not play the required games to meet the threshold for a season he should be deemed not to have met the threshold. I do not want the OHL to grant this exception because of the precedent is sets on future situations. This why I don’t think the league should have done it in 2021 with the players that had played in the AHL during the cancelled season. Even at the AHL level he was not providing very much offence so another year in the OHL might allow him to get his game back on track and humble him abit.

His game needs AHL. He’s wasting his time in the OHL. Two points per game and everything is slower simply develops lazy habits. If he can’t play AHL, I look at loaning him to the SEL instead.

Reactions: dirty12

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Thanks for the clarification. That’s very helpful.

I agree that at this point having Shane Wright in the OHL is useless for him. It will only force the Kraken to play him sparingly at the NHL level. It’s not good for the player, the team, nor is it advantageous for the OHL if he isn’t going to be there anyway.

I see Uronen as the 2nd line RW starting the season. I think unless Stonehouse screws up the 1st line is his.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I see Uronen as the 2nd line RW starting the season. I think unless Stonehouse screws up the 1st line is his.

As of right now we don’t have what you would call a 1st line so I’m not sure depth chart comes much into play. I know it is just semantics but I could see three balanced lines in some manner. we don’t have one elite player up front entering the season. We have a lot of pretty solid forwards but no one that you look at and say, “He’s our guy this season.” That lack of depth at centre also comes into play and really means the chess pieces are scrambled a bit.

Al that said, if you line up the “depth chart,” you have to think ‘Uronen is the #2 guy but if Stonehouse doesn’t have a strong centre to play with, I’m not sure he is the type of player that can drive a line. So there really could be a situation where Stonehouse drops down based on lack of opportunity. Who plays best with Gardiner? That’s the guy on his right regardless of depth chart. You gotta think Beck will be on Gardiner’s left.

It’s going to be interesting but the team we ar e looking at now probably is not the team to start the season. I think there will be at least two changes in addition to potentially singing the 1st rounder and the 2nd Import. One player will be moved out and one will be moved in and I doubt it will be the same trade.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
The question on the injury would be if he was able to play but Seattle did not want him to play until he was 100%. If they did make the request to sit him out,
I think you are reading into it to much, the NHL Team imo doesn’t interfere a great deal. Protect there asset for sure but I don’t think his injury was ever a serious career threatening injury. The OHL should do the right thing and release him as he clearly belongs in the AHL. They got there pound of flesh when he was forced to return to Kingston last year. If they don’t it just gives another reason for agents to push players to the other leagues such as the USHL or the NCAA?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think you are reading into it to much, the NHL Team imo doesn’t interfere a great deal. Protect there asset for sure but I don’t think his injury was ever a serious career threatening injury. The OHL should do the right thing and release him as he clearly belongs in the AHL. They got there pound of flesh when he was forced to return to Kingston last year. If they don’t it just gives another reason for agents to push players to the other leagues such as the USHL or the NCAA?

And just to add to that we also need to consider there is a development agreement between the CHL and NHL. There is nothing stopping the NHL from deciding to open the agreement and renegotiate it.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
His game needs AHL. He’s wasting his time in the OHL. Two points per game and everything is slower simply develops lazy habits. If he can’t play AHL, I look at loaning him to the SEL instead.
If he did not have a exceptional player status there would be even been a discussion whether or not he would return to the OHL if he did not make the NHL.
I don’t like the pre
And just to add to that we also need to consider there is a development agreement between the CHL and NHL. There is nothing stopping the NHL from deciding to open the agreement and renegotiate it.
However the CHL would have to agree to any changes to the CHL/NHL agreement. I don’t understand why there is an issue with an elite player returning to play as a 19 year old in the OHL. It did not hurt Cory Perry, Jeff Carter or Mike Richards during the NHL lockout season in 2004-2005. They were ready to play in the NHL at that age, Shane Wright isn’t. In fact he has not even proven himself at the AHL level. If he did not have exceptional player status this would not even being discussed. He has not lived up to that status since the Covid cancelled season.

Reactions: EvenSteven

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If he did not have a exceptional player status there would be even been a discussion whether or not he would return to the OHL if he did not make the NHL.

I don’t like the pre

However the CHL would have to agree to any changes to the CHL/NHL agreement. I don’t understand why there is an issue with an elite player returning to play as a 19 year old in the OHL. It did not hurt Cory Perry, Jeff Carter or Mike Richards during the NHL lockout season in 2004-2005. They were ready to play in the NHL at that age, Shane Wright isn’t. In fact he has not even proven himself at the AHL level. If he did not have exceptional player status this would not even being discussed. He has not lived up to that status since the Covid cancelled season.

My understanding is the NHL can pretty much open the agreement anytime they want to. The CHL and NHL need to agree. It is not a one way street where the CHL forces the terms on the NHL. Worse case scenario, the NHL can simply let the term run out on the existing and play hard ball. The reality is the owners need the development $$$. I really don’t see the OHL causing a fuss over one game.

When the OHL allowed for exceptional status and players entering the league early, they had to approach the NHL and amend the agreement. Four years is the max requirement. All the players you listed played four years.

The issue isn’t whether Shane Wright is capable of playing in the NHL. If he were, we wouldn’t be having this discussion because he is eligible to play NHL. The discussion is based on whether the AHL or OHL is better for his development. Wright coming back to the OHL and putting 120 points and playing in the WJHC vs playing in the AHL and being more competently tested against men is the question at hand. Which is better for his development?

Which is better for the OHL is not the discussion. That is a rabbit hole because if the OHL played hard ball, there could be far reaching ramifications going forward. As previously mentioned, there is already discussion about altering the agreement for certain players based on development. I think an exceptional status is warranted for select players based on the players personal development journey. It can’t be silly and over the top. There should be some strict criteria. But it looks like there will be at some point. OR, the CHL allows it here and there where it makes sense and they maintain more control and play nice in the sandbox.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
My understanding is the NHL can pretty much open the agreement anytime they want to. The CHL and NHL need to agree. It is not a one way street where the CHL forces the terms on the NHL. Worse case scenario, the NHL can simply let the term run out on the existing and play hard ball. The reality is the owners need the development $$$. I really don’t see the OHL causing a fuss over one game.

When the OHL allowed for exceptional status and players entering the league early, they had to approach the NHL and amend the agreement. Four years is the max requirement. All the players you listed played four years.

The issue isn’t whether Shane Wright is capable of playing in the NHL. If he were, we wouldn’t be having this discussion because he is eligible to play NHL. The discussion is based on whether the AHL or OHL is better for his development. Wright coming back to the OHL and putting 120 points and playing in the WJHC vs playing in the AHL and being more competently tested against men is the question at hand. Which is better for his development?

Which is better for the OHL is not the discussion. That is a rabbit hole because if the OHL played hard ball, there could be far reaching ramifications going forward. As previously mentioned, there is already discussion about altering the agreement for certain players based on development. I think an exceptional status is warranted for select players based on the players personal development journey. It can’t be silly and over the top. There should be some strict criteria. But it looks like there will be at some point. OR, the CHL allows it here and there where it makes sense and they maintain more control and play nice in the sandbox.
There is one group that you have forgotten to mention that has a large say the NHLPA. The cap on rookie contracts and the agreement on playing had to also be included int eh NHLPA agreement.

The challenge that was I think part of the cause of this was Nemo, Washburn and Donovan.

Yes the CHL is a development league but it is more importantly a business. Teams have to make money and be viable. It is not like the old days where Kitchener did not have to worry about players playing as they derived most of their funding from the team that were financially supported by the the Rangers. Same with the Montreal Canadiens in the Q. Players were "drafted" by the NHL teams at a young age and played on the Junior team to develop.

the wild wild west of the OHL had pitfalls. Teams got screwed Finally the rules got changed.

The exceptional status rule was here long before it was called that and long before Bedard, Wright McDavid were born. It just got cancelled because the owners did not like it at the time. Remember Kirk Muller played a year with the Canadians before he was drafted into the OHL.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There is one group that you have forgotten to mention that has a large say the NHLPA. The cap on rookie contracts and the agreement on playing had to also be included int eh NHLPA agreement.

The challenge that was I think part of the cause of this was Nemo, Washburn and Donovan.

Yes the CHL is a development league but it is more importantly a business. Teams have to make money and be viable. It is not like the old days where Kitchener did not have to worry about players playing as they derived most of their funding from the team that were financially supported by the the Rangers. Same with the Montreal Canadiens in the Q. Players were "drafted" by the NHL teams at a young age and played on the Junior team to develop.

the wild wild west of the OHL had pitfalls. Teams got screwed Finally the rules got changed.

The exceptional status rule was here long before it was called that and long before Bedard, Wright McDavid were born. It just got cancelled because the owners did not like it at the time. Remember Kirk Muller played a year with the Canadians before he was drafted into the OHL.

Good point regarding the NHLPA. They go hand in hand with the NHL since the NHL cannot institute change without approval from the PA.

Players could always play as underage in their home town…after the break from the NHL controlled OHA. Fata and Spezza are two early examples of players playing for their hometown team and then drafted the following season.

It is interesting that the European clubs operate in a very similar way to how the CHL/NHL operates back in the 70’s and very early 80’s. They haven’t changed at all.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
…….. I don’t understand why there is an issue with an elite player returning to play as a 19 year old in the OHL. It did not hurt Cory Perry, Jeff Carter or Mike Richards during the NHL lockout season in 2004-2005. They were ready to play in the NHL at that age, Shane Wright isn’t. In fact he has not even proven himself at the AHL level. If he did not have exceptional player status this would not even being discussed. He has not lived up to that status since the Covid cancelled season.

Agree. If he was ready, he’d have been the first option to get called up last spring.

It was telling that Kartye got the call over him.

…….. I don’t understand why there is an issue with an elite player returning to play as a 19 year old in the OHL. It did not hurt Cory Perry, Jeff Carter or Mike Richards during the NHL lockout season in 2004-2005. They were ready to play in the NHL at that age, Shane Wright isn’t. In fact he has not even proven himself at the AHL level. If he did not have exceptional player status this would not even being discussed. He has not lived up to that status since the Covid cancelled season.

Agree. If he was ready, he’d have been the first option to get called up last spring.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Kartye is 3 yrs older and had a full season played in the AHL while Wright played sporadically in NHL-AHL-WJC-OHL-AHL.
Wright was a definitive tweener that suffered from the NHL-CHL agreement imo

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Good point regarding the NHLPA. They go hand in hand with the NHL since the NHL cannot institute change without approval from the PA.

Players could always play as underage in their home town…after the break from the NHL controlled OHA. Fata and Spezza are two early examples of players playing for their hometown team and then drafted the following season.

It is interesting that the European clubs operate in a very similar way to how the CHL/NHL operates back in the 70’s and very early 80’s. They haven’t change at all

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

It is interesting that the European clubs operate in a very similar way to how the CHL/NHL operates back in the 70’s and very early 80’s. They haven’t change at all
Agreed but it is not something that you can do now. Not exactly sure when they changed the rule. But they must have or you would not need the elite clause in the OHL.

The Euro teams as you said have a system where a city or pro team establishes and supports teams down the line.

Imagine in the CHL went back to it. Imagine a game between the Brampton Sabres and the Mississauga leafs LOL

Or Kingston Frontencas with the old dircle K against the Ottawa 67's sens team

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agreed but it is not something that you can do now. Not exactly sure when they changed the rule. But they must have or you would not need the elite clause in the OHL.

The Euro teams as you said have a system where a city or pro team establishes and supports teams down the line.

Imagine in the CHL went back to it. Imagine a game between the Brampton Sabres and the Mississauga leafs LOL

Or Kingston Frontencas with the old dircle K against the Ottawa 67's sens team

There is no European drafting system as far as I am aware. I believe it is mostly still territorial based on where you play your youth hockey but there must be some sort of recruitment involved.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
There is no European drafting system as far as I am aware. I believe it is mostly still territorial based on where you play your youth hockey but there must be some sort of recruitment involved.
Yeah It sounds good except if you look at some of the cities and teams and see how they are stacked. The good side is that plaeyr development at the lower levels I amssure is far superior to that at the minor league here. I am willing to bet also that plzyers that excel at the lower levels get a lot fo developmental support from tehhigher levels.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Is anyone else watching Between Barber Poles and waiting until the last episode to see how they address the playoff failure? Am I just a jerk thinking that way?

Edit:
To clarify, I am mot looking at it though the lens of the team being upset. More about the management team and what they have to say. Having injuries revealed. What were the lessons learned and what they can do to change going forward with respect to strategy.

As I read my post I realized it read like I was some sort of sadistic clown.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The true face of OMG

1690338724962.png

LOL

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Watch the Hlinka Ottawa has 3 players playing in the cup the 2 D and Korbler is playinbg for the Swiss. Might be an option for the boys to tal to him.

Plays Left Wing

Could be interesting

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Mews and Marelli 1st line defence, Marelli with 2a score 5-5 early 3rd

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Revised
Pinelli-Gardiner- Gerrior
Stonehouse- Uronen- Beck
Korblers-Barlas-Foster
Hilton-Whitehead - Kelly