Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Revised Depth Chart:

Left Wing
Beck (OA).
Pinelli.
Gerrior.
Foster.
Barlas.
Hilton
Yanni

Centre
Gardiner
Whitehead

Right Wing
Stonehouse
Uronen
Kelly
Dever
Korbler

Left D
Mayich (OA).
Marrelli.
Sirman.
Smyth.
Dietsch

Right D
Mews
Ewles
Brzustewicz
Horner

Goalie
Donoso (OA)
MacKenzie

This is just a depth chart based on assigned position. There will be some movement from one wing to another etc. We will likely see some trades of players moving out.

25 bodies.
I think that we can guarantee that if Korbler comes, he is going to be guaranteed a spot.

My thinking is that at camp we are going to see Korbler, Dever, Foster and Barlas given a chance as a center.

Not that any of them are going to get it, but with the number of wingers the only way we could keep them is to move 1 at least to center.

The chance to trade a couple of players is definitely going to be in the cards.

I think for whatever reason it is now safe to say that Beck is not NHL AHL bound, He did not get an invite to a development camp while Stonehouse did.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think that we can guarantee that if Korbler comes, he is going to be guaranteed a spot.

My thinking is that at camp we are going to see Korbler, Dever, Foster and Barlas given a chance as a center.

Not that any of them are going to get it, but with the number of wingers the only way we could keep them is to move 1 at least to center.

The chance to trade a couple of players is definitely going to be in the cards.

I think for whatever reason it is now safe to say that Beck is not NHL AHL bound, He did not get an invite to a development camp while Stonehouse did.

It’s all about timing. It’s not about what will happen but more likely WHEN. I agree with you that they need to trade for someone that is not jsut a this year player. It needs to be a centre that is eligible for next year too. They didn’t draft one in the Import draft so I don’t see any other option. It probably won’t happen early but it will most likely happen at some point.

Also, with only two OA’s and Donoso being one of them, if the ’Poles want to add an OA, it can’t be anything other than a centre. The depth chart is proof of that.

Reactions: beastintheeast

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The picks could be used for a team like Peterborough that is going to be rebuilding Throw in a player or 2 and a couple of pics and you could get the center.
No matter even if we trade or keep them it definitely will help with the retooling Imagine 2 1st and 2 2nds next year in the draft. plus other picks for the future.

I can tell you from a fronts point of view losing domi was a success story
domi was a lot lower in the first round not at the end of it but yeah you're right.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The picks could be used for a team like Peterborough that is going to be rebuilding Throw in a player or 2 and a couple of pics and you could get the center.
No matter even if we trade or keep them it definitely will help with the retooling Imagine 2 1st and 2 2nds next year in the draft. plus other picks for the future.

I can tell you from a fronts point of view losing domi was a success story
If the centre you are looking at is Owen Beck the asking price would likely be one of Ottawa’s returning 17 year old defencemen plus multiple draft picks not a just a couple of draft picks. He is likely the marquee player to be traded at the deadline. I could see the Petes also accepting one of their top end 18 year olds instead with an extra draft pick or two.

Reactions: frontsfan67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If the centre you are looking at is Owen Beck the asking price would likely be one of Ottawa’s returning 17 year old defencemen plus multiple draft picks not a just a couple of draft picks. He is likely the marquee player to be traded at the deadline. I could see the Petes also accepting one of their top end 18 year olds instead with an extra draft pick or two.

67s won’t be looking at Beck. They need either cheap players to fill a one year gap or a more expensive player that will return the following year (not as an OA).

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
First I doubt the Petes are po his family's radar. I think it will be a western team if they trade. In any event they are going to be looking for picks and maybe a young player

A non reporting 1st is gong to probably bring 2 seconds and a 3rd at least.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
First I doubt the Petes are po his family's radar. I think it will be a western team if they trade. In any event they are going to be looking for picks and maybe a young player

A non reporting 1st is gong to probably bring 2 seconds and a 3rd at least.
Are you talking about Owen Beck or Henry Brzustewicz in your first sentence? I never suggested that Brzustewicz would be part of any deal for Owen Beck. My response was to your post about trading for a centre from Peterborough. I stated what I believe the Petes would want in return for Owen Beck (the only centre the Petes will likely trade). I doubt a defected players would not be part of any trade for him.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Are you talking about Owen Beck or Henry Brzustewicz in your first sentence? I never suggested that Brzustewicz would be part of any deal for Owen Beck. My response was to your post about trading for a centre from Peterborough. I stated what I believe the Petes would want in return for Owen Beck (the only centre the Petes will likely trade). I doubt a defected players would not be part of any trade for him.
First, Beck is not the solution we need. What I was suggesting was that if we got a reasonable deal for Henry Brzustewicz, which would probably be a picks only deal, we could then use 1 or 2 of those picks in a deal with a team like yours that will be looking to rebuild this year.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
First, Beck is not the solution we need. What I was suggesting was that if we got a reasonable deal for Henry Brzustewicz, which would probably be a picks only deal, we could then use 1 or 2 of those picks in a deal with a team like yours that will be looking to rebuild this year.
In all likelihood Owen Beck is the only forward that the Petes likely be trading. I expect they will keep Connor Lockhart and Jax Dubois as two of their overages and Jonathan Melee is likely going to stay as well. On defence I expect that Donovan McCoy and Konnor Smith will be traded. I am not sure what is going to happen with Sam Mayer. Michael Simpson will be likely traded as well.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
In all likelihood Owen Beck is the only forward that the Petes likely be trading. I expect they will keep Connor Lockhart and Jax Dubois as two of their overages and Jonathan Melee is likely going to stay as well. On defence I expect that Donovan McCoy and Konnor Smith will be traded. I am not sure what is going to happen with Sam Mayer. Michael Simpson will be likely traded as well.

Petes are trading everyone not nailed down. I don’t think they will keep Lockhart past the deadline if there is a reasonable market for OA’s. Same with Mayer if he returns. I could see them keeping McCoy for some steadying defence.

I think the Petes will try to rack up as many points as possible leading into the deadline (similar to what Hamilton did) and then they will unload. I really think the back half of the Petes season will be super lean.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Petes are trading everyone not nailed down. I don’t think they will keep Lockhart past the deadline if there is a reasonable market for OA’s. Same with Mayer if he returns. I could see them keeping McCoy for some steadying defence.

I think the Petes will try to rack up as many points as possible leading into the deadline (similar to what Hamilton did) and then they will unload. I really think the back half of the Petes season will be super lean.
Hopefully the second half of the Petes’ season will be just as lean as Hamilton’s was :thumbu:

Reactions: OMG67

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Hopefully the second half of the Petes’ season will be just as lean as Hamilton’s was :thumbu:

The only way that I see Connor Lockhart being traded is if the Petes can obtain a player for him. Whether is a one for one deal or he is part of a bigger trade like him and Sam Mayer being traded for a Hayes/White type of return. The Petes. Cannot trade all their players for draft picks alone as they also need the players to play for them next year and in future seasons. I expect that they will obtain players for Owen Beck, Konnor Smith and Donovan McCoy however I not sure if they will get players in return for their overage players.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The only way that I see Connor Lockhart being traded is if the Petes can obtain a player for him. Whether is a one for one deal or he is part of a bigger trade like him and Sam Mayer being traded for a Hayes/White type of return. The Petes. Cannot trade all their players for draft picks alone as they also need the players to play for them next year and in future seasons. I expect that they will obtain players for Owen Beck, Konnor Smith and Donovan McCoy however I not sure if they will get players in return for their overage players.

It can be picks in and then picks out for returning players. That would be similar to what I think Ottawa will likely do. It doesn’t need to be resolved in one trade. It can be multiple deals getting you what you need.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
most teams at the deadline are looking to add talent and the only talent they re looking to trade is people that do not fit into their future plan.

I think most deals involvng the petes and Ottawa will be for pics.

As OMG said the picks can then be used with a player to get someone else.

Question will Beck be back he has signed and they are in love with him in Montreal can see him going AHL if it is possible or maybe making the team if his camp is good

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
most teams at the deadline are looking to add talent and the only talent they re looking to trade is people that do not fit into their future plan.

Question will Beck be back he has signed and they are in love with him in Montreal can see him going AHL if it is possible or maybe making the team if his camp is good
Because Beck is an 04 born,he has to play in Montreal or the OHL,can't be sent to the AHL

Reactions: DraftEligibleOHL

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Because Beck is an 04 born,he has to play in Montreal or the OHL,can't be sent to the AHL

And Beck is not advanced enough to play in Montreal. HE may get an extended look at the beginning of the season but he needs the added development time in the OHL.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

There is no way Owen Beck will be traded for draft picks only. The Petes will want a 16 or 17 year old player drafted in the 1st round plus draft picks for him. He is probably going to be one of the most sought after players at the deadline.

Reactions: DraftEligibleOHL

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There is no way Owen Beck will be traded for draft picks only. The Petes will want a 16 or 17 year old player drafted in the 1st round plus draft picks for him. He is probably going to be one of the most sought after players at the deadline.

Agreed. Provided he performs well and proves capable, (there is no reason to believe otherwise) he should garner a 2023 1st in the package.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Just saw this article on line

This is the standard thought that playing against “Men” is better than playing against boys. If that were true, no Imports would play their 19 year old seasons in the CHL. It is hogwash.

The NL in Switzerland is a Tier III league. Some would even say a Tier IV league. Playing against Men that are far inferior to those they’d play against the following year in the AHL isn’t ideal.

I think people are drawing at straws to find a silver lining for this and there really isn’t one from a development standpoint. If Rohrer is going to play in a 3rd tier Euro League, it is not for better development. If it were, there would be a long list of NHL prospects playing in the NL League in Switzerland. Why wouldn’t a player go make $60k with expenses paid instead of the CHL Leagues? Pulling out one name and using an outlier as an example of it being a good thing is silly. It would be like saying kids shouldn’t play OHL and should play BCHL because “X” player did that and had a great NHL career. It’s a fallacy. Outliers exist but outliers aren’t the norm.

Unless you are a player that is significantly advanced and can play competitively in a league that has high level men, there is no reason to play outside your cohort. It is a reason why the OHL is so protective of 15 year olds getting exceptional status. Only those that are capable of being picked 1st overall are given exceptional status. If the former held true, it would be better for all “pretty good” 15 year olds to play in the OHL with older players. But the league doesn’t allow it for a multitude of reasons.

Again, there seems to be a lot of people trying to find a development justification for the Rohrer decision and there simply isn’t one. This is a personal decision. It is probably a really good personal decision. Rohrer isn’t much of an NHL prospect at this point. He had a poor season last year (IMO because he played centre). His stats didn’t improve, his size isn’t particularly desirable and he’s playing with a team that is not going to be competitive. He likely doesn’t want to play for a different OHL team so in his situation, he feels it is better for him to play pro in Switzerland, closer to home and making a pro salary. There is absolutely nothing wrong with him recognizing that one year earlier and deciding to make that move now instead of next year.

And, let’s be honest, the vast majority of the Import players that come to the CHL end up back in middling Pro leagues in Europe when their CHL career is done. Again, absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. They play hockey for $$$ and in most cases pretty decent $$$.

Reactions: beastintheeast

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
This is the standard thought that playing against “Men” is better than playing against boys. If that were true, no Imports would play their 19 year old seasons in the CHL. It is hogwash.

The NL in Switzerland is a Tier III league. Some would even say a Tier IV league. Playing against Men that are far inferior to those they’d play against the following year in the AHL isn’t ideal.

I think people are drawing at straws to find a silver lining for this and there really isn’t one from a development standpoint. If Rohrer is going to play in a 3rd tier Euro League, it is not for better development. If it were, there would be a long list of NHL prospects playing in the NL League in Switzerland. Why wouldn’t a player go make $60k with expenses paid instead of the CHL Leagues? Pulling out one name and using an outlier as an example of it being a good thing is silly. It would be like saying kids shouldn’t play OHL and should play BCHL because “X” player did that and had a great NHL career. It’s a fallacy. Outliers exist but outliers aren’t the norm.

Unless you are a player that is significantly advanced and can play competitively in a league that has high level men, there is no reason to play outside your cohort. It is a reason why the OHL is so protective of 15 year olds getting exceptional status. Only those that are capable of being picked 1st overall are given exceptional status. If the former held true, it would be better for all “pretty good” 15 year olds to play in the OHL with older players. But the league doesn’t allow it for a multitude of reasons.

Again, there seems to be a lot of people trying to find a development justification for the Rohrer decision and there simply isn’t one. This is a personal decision. It is probably a really good personal decision. Rohrer isn’t much of an NHL prospect at this point. He had a poor season last year (IMO because he played centre). His stats didn’t improve, his size isn’t particularly desirable and he’s playing with a team that is not going to be competitive. He likely doesn’t want to play for a different OHL team so in his situation, he feels it is better for him to play pro in Switzerland, closer to home and making a pro salary. There is absolutely nothing wrong with him recognizing that one year earlier and deciding to make that move now instead of next year.

And, let’s be honest, the vast majority of the Import players that come to the CHL end up back in middling Pro leagues in Europe when their CHL career is done. Again, absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. They play hockey for $$$ and in most cases pretty decent $$$.
Fully agree posted this because it was about Rohrer. My question though is how many of these players are only going to be 2 year rentals from now on.

I think player that is drafted high from the OHL will still be here but I am wondering about the use of drafting a player that either has been drafted or is going to be a 3rd round and up draft pick in the Euro draft

The NHL seems quite willing to let them go back home and play or put them in the AHL if they crack the team. Uronen is set to play for HIFK in Liiga and as a 6th-round draft pick I would think unless Cassidy wants him to get NA ice time that that s where he will go after the Rookie camp.

With the internet and almost every team in every league games broadcast and he number of Euro scouts teams I really think that these guys are going to start looking at dollars as well as development.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Fully agree posted this because it was about Rohrer. My question though is how many of these players are only going to be 2 year rentals from now on.

I think player that is drafted high from the OHL will still be here but I am wondering about the use of drafting a player that either has been drafted or is going to be a 3rd round and up draft pick in the Euro draft

The NHL seems quite willing to let them go back home and play or put them in the AHL if they crack the team. Uronen is set to play for HIFK in Liiga and as a 6th-round draft pick I would think unless Cassidy wants him to get NA ice time that that s where he will go after the Rookie camp.

With the internet and almost every team in every league games broadcast and he number of Euro scouts teams I really think that these guys are going to start looking at dollars as well as development.

The player still needs to be good enough at 18 or 19 to secure a spot in a decent pro league. Many of the Imports aren’t necessarily strong enough to do so. Rohrer fits the profile of a player strong enough to secure a contract at that level. Most in that age group jump between the big club and their tier II affiliate team where they don’t make the same $$$.

So, I don’t see it being an issue overall.

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
First 2 episodes of "Between the Barber Poles" on YouTube are out.
Very well done. Gives good insight on what it takes to play in the OHL

Mild Italian

Oct 3, 2017

Who would be in Tier ll and who would be in Tier IV together with with the Swiss NL?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Who would be in Tier ll and who would be in Tier IV together with with the Swiss NL?

The top league would be KHL. So that occupies Tier I
The Swedish Elite League is Tier II
Then it is a tossup between the Finnish League and the NL Swiss league for Tier III. Most would give the nod to the NL but it is more a matter of opinion a that point. It is pretty close and there is a gap between the SEL and those two leagues.

The KHL would easily be considered the top league outside the NHL. The SEL and AHL would be pretty much on par or at least close.

You do get some North American players in the Swiss league but the better North American players usually get paid pretty well in the AHL So it is the players that are somewhat relegated to bouncing between the ECHL and AHL that play in the NL For the better guaranteed $$$.

You see many top NHL draft picks remaining to play in the KHL and SEL. Some of the deeper picks will stay in their respective pro leagues or junior programs as 18 year olds but as 19 year olds, they typically graduate to higher level pro leagues. The advantage for the NHL teams is they hold the player rights longer so there is more runway for the player to improve.

So, it Rohrer’s case, he’s pretty much playing higher than the ECHL but lower than the AHL. From a development standpoint, he would now stagnate. Potentially you could say he is playing at a higher level this year but after this year he’d be playing a lower level. I don’t get the sense he will come play AHL for $70k next year. Why would he? At this point he is more likely to remain in the NL Swiss league and carve out a tidy hockey career where the physicality is far less, fewer games and better money.

The only way he comes back is if Montreal extends him an Entry Level contract because of the Signing bonus and even then if he is making $200k in the NL, he can make similar money staying there in better comfort. He’d really need to feel he is an NHL prospect with the goal of playing NHL at this point. I think he can develop enough in the Swiss league to maybe get some offers from KHL or SEL where he could potentially make a little more $$$. But, if I had to hazard a guess, at this point I see him sticking with the NL Swiss League long term and playing there for 10+ seasons provided he remains healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad