Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
67’s draft Kimi Koehler in the 2nd round of the Import draft. 17 year old from Switzerland. Another RW. He plays for Davos. He compiles some pretty strong points within his age group and is somewhat productive with the u-20’s as well. He looks like a solid prospect and could provide some production. No scouting report on him though.

All in all, it looks somewhat promising for the Import picks. Unfortunately, neither are centres but offensive wingers are a good thing.

Now that the Import draft is complete, I have a suspicion that Beck may play at Centre to start the season. I don’t think playing Centre will hurt his game.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Revised Depth Chart:

Left Wing
Beck (OA).
Pinelli.
Gerrior.
Foster.
Barlas.
Hilton
Yanni

Centre
Gardiner
Whitehead

Right Wing
Stonehouse
Uronen
Kelly
Dever
Korbler

Left D
Mayich (OA).
Marrelli.
Sirman.
Smyth.
Dietsch

Right D
Mews
Ewles
Brzustewicz
Horner

Goalie
Donoso (OA)
MacKenzie

This is just a depth chart based on assigned position. There will be some movement from one wing to another etc. We will likely see some trades of players moving out.

25 bodies.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Revised Depth Chart:

Left Wing
Beck (OA).
Pinelli.
Gerrior.
Foster.
Barlas.
Hilton
Yanni

Centre
Gardiner
Whitehead

Right Wing
Stonehouse
Uronen
Kelly
Dever
Korbler

Left D
Mayich (OA).
Marrelli.
Sirman.
Smyth.
Dietsch

Right D
Mews
Ewles
Brzustewicz
Horner

Goalie
Donoso (OA)
MacKenzie

This is just a depth chart based on assigned position. There will be some movement from one wing to another etc. We will likely see some trades of players moving out.

25 bodies.

Mayich isn't an OA this year, is he? Some of these guys are getting moved out; looking at the depth chart, Barlas would seem to be a prime candidate to be moved out (more out of fairness to the player) as he'd be no more than a 3rd line LW on this team. If we can identify an adequate backup, Donoso should get moved out as well. We've talked about Smyth and Sirman, though keeping one of those guys wouldn't be a bad idea if only for the sake of keeping other teams honest.

Looking at the draft last week, I have a feeling that Gardiner has improved his game. Dallas moved up in the draft to get him in the 3rd round. He tested very high at the combine for certain strength and agility challenges. Probably not 1st line centre material (yet), but certainly a #2C. As you said earlier, Beck could be the one that Cameron moves to center to start the season. The import draftees look...really good(?).

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Mayich isn't an OA this year, is he? Some of these guys are getting moved out; looking at the depth chart, Barlas would seem to be a prime candidate to be moved out (more out of fairness to the player) as he'd be no more than a 3rd line LW on this team. If we can identify an adequate backup, Donoso should get moved out as well. We've talked about Smyth and Sirman, though keeping one of those guys wouldn't be a bad idea if only for the sake of keeping other teams honest.

Looking at the draft last week, I have a feeling that Gardiner has improved his game. Dallas moved up in the draft to get him in the 3rd round. He tested very high at the combine for certain strength and agility challenges. Probably not 1st line centre material (yet), but certainly a #2C. As you said earlier, Beck could be the one that Cameron moves to center to start the season. The import draftees look...really good(?).

Regarding Mayich, yes, my bad. He’s OA the following season.

We will definitely have some bodies moved out.

It is just a sinking suspicion that Beck moves to centre. He’s the older vet that probably is the best fit from an experience perspective. Ideally we add an OA centre to play top line.

I agree about Gardiner. He’s 2nd line centre 100%. Whitehead probably 4th line. Maybe someone like Foster moves to centre on The 3rd line? He’s jsut a more effective winger though and I feel that way about all the wingers to be honest.

I like the look of the Imports. I think there is definite upside provided they get them to report. Although, I was hoping for at least one to be a centre.

Reactions: BarberPole9

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think Barlas and Foster are going to be given the chance to fill in the center spots to start the year. If we are retooling for the future using Beck as a center is non productive.

Also providing he stays healthy I think he will be traded at or before the deadline along with possibly Stonehouse and or Uronen

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think Barlas and Foster are going to be given the chance to fill in the center spots to start the year. If we are retooling for the future using Beck as a center is non productive.

Also providing he stays healthy I think he will be traded at or before the deadline along with possibly Stonehouse and or Uronen

Unless they make a trade or two, guys are going to have to play centre that are superior on the wing. They will need to make do. However, they need to ensure they have competent centres otherwise their wingers will flounder. Beck as a Centre through the deadline is productive if it means the wingers have a viable centre keeping things calm on the ice. It buys them time to acquire a centre and/or rejig the roster through normal deadline sell offs etc closer to the deadline.

I don’t see them trading an 18 year old Import that is capable of returning the following season when they are lined up to be competitive. That is assuming he reports.

I do think Beck is a strong trade candidate for sure but I am not too sure they would entertain dealing Stonehouse. He went undrafted and is likley to return as an OA. They do have four OA candidates that season so we may see them deal one but I think they are more likely to do it at the beginning of that season as opposed to it being a deadline move this year. Stonehouse would garner a solid return without a doubt.

A lot of moving parts though, that is for sure. Way too many bodies and not enough at centre. You have to think at least three guys will be moved out and at least one centre will be pulled in, maybe two. If they also deal Donoso, they will have two open OA spots. What we see now is definitely not what we will see post-deadline, that is for sure.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I fu7lly agree with
Unless they make a trade or two, guys are going to have to play centre that are superior on the wing. They will need to make do. However, they need to ensure they have competent centres otherwise their wingers will flounder. Beck as a Centre through the deadline is productive if it means the wingers have a viable centre keeping things calm on the ice. It buys them time to acquire a centre and/or rejig the roster through normal deadline sell offs etc closer to the deadline.

I don’t see them trading an 18 year old Import that is capable of returning the following season when they are lined up to be competitive. That is assuming he reports.

I do think Beck is a strong trade candidate for sure but I am not too sure they would entertain dealing Stonehouse. He went undrafted and is likley to return as an OA. They do have four OA candidates that season so we may see them deal one but I think they are more likely to do it at the beginning of that season as opposed to it being a deadline move this year. Stonehouse would garner a solid return without a doubt.

A lot of moving parts though, that is for sure. Way too many bodies and not enough at centre. You have to think at least three guys will be moved out and at least one centre will be pulled in, maybe two. If they also deal Donoso, they will have two open OA spots. What we see now is definitely not what we will see post-deadline, that is for sure.
I fully agree I think though that remembering that both Foster and Barlas were centers when drafted that we may see at least one of them in that position at the start of the season.

They seem to be the only choice.

As I think you I am surprised that we did not get a Euro center but then again they are not always avail when we had a pick.

I am hoping that the team has an assurance that Uronen will come here this season and play I think he will add a great deal to the team.

It is going to definitely be an interesting camp and start to the season. Without doing anything I see us as 4th place in the conf so a retool is going to hurt us but not that much.

Trading for an OQ center really does nothing for the retool because t pushes the can down the road to next year. We need to see if we can develop some of our young talent and create centers.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I fu7lly agree with

I fully agree I think though that remembering that both Foster and Barlas were centers when drafted that we may see at least one of them in that position at the start of the season.

They seem to be the only choice.

As I think you I am surprised that we did not get a Euro center but then again they are not always avail when we had a pick.

I am hoping that the team has an assurance that Uronen will come here this season and play I think he will add a great deal to the team.

It is going to definitely be an interesting camp and start to the season. Without doing anything I see us as 4th place in the conf so a retool is going to hurt us but not that much.

Trading for an OQ center really does nothing for the retool because t pushes the can down the road to next year. We need to see if we can develop some of our young talent and create centers.

Trading for an OA centre is cheap. It’s a way to acquire what you need to help continue the development of the wingers.

I think the key is to try to acquire enough assets to use some of them to get that centre, one that will return next year.

Looking at next seasons roster, I think Gardiner is the #1 and Whitehead is #3. So if over the course of this season they can add one more 17 or 18 year old that can play as the #2 the following season, it would be ideal.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Trading for an OA centre is cheap. It’s a way to acquire what you need to help continue the development of the wingers.

I think the key is to try to acquire enough assets to use some of them to get that centre, one that will return next year.

Looking at next seasons roster, I think Gardiner is the #1 and Whitehead is #3. So if over the course of this season they can add one more 17 or 18 year old that can play as the #2 the following season, it would be ideal.
I agree but I am not ssure that person is going to be avail at the start of the season. I see that person you talk about is avail it is not going to be a contender that is going to be wiling.

I think that they will give Foster and or Barlas a chance at the position remember the center has to win faceoffs and Beck was not that good.

Barlas surprised us this year at camp let's hope that he ups his game again this off season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree but I am not ssure that person is going to be avail at the start of the season. I see that person you talk about is avail it is not going to be a contender that is going to be wiling.

I think that they will give Foster and or Barlas a chance at the position remember the center has to win faceoffs and Beck was not that good.

Barlas surprised us this year at camp let's hope that he ups his game again this off season.

That is why I am saying Beck is the most likely candidate to switch to centre. Ottawa isn’t trying to develop him. He has the most experience. He plays the type of game that translates to centre. He can play centre until they acquire one. It is likely the Beck trade that gives them the assets to acquire a decent multi-year centre. The OA may be able to be acquired in the offseason. There will likely be some available. It will come down to whether the 67’s want to do it early or let it all play out.

What I would like to see them do is acquire a waiver claim or super cheap OA option as a stop gap solution. I had mentioned a player like Panwar. He was traded from Flint to Peterborough for a 4th, 5th and 6th. Relatively inexpensive for a player coming off a 44 point season. Alex Johnston was a free waiver claim and he scored 22 points over 42 games. A solid stop gap solution. Both early acquisitions. So, it is possible If we look at the recent past.

You are correct when you suggest Foster and Barlas. The only problem is Barlas was a completely useless player as a centre (even the first part of last season) and Foster is ineffective at centre. Both have demonstrated the inability to play that position at this level. I’m not saying they couldn’t turn it around but I prefer to look at their demonstrated past and neither have been effective at centre. Beck at least is more experienced and has proven to be a responsible defensive player which translates to at least a stop gap solution.

The one thing we do know is they need a solution…and quick.

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
That is why I am saying Beck is the most likely candidate to switch to centre. Ottawa isn’t trying to develop him. He has the most experience. He plays the type of game that translates to centre. He can play centre until they acquire one. It is likely the Beck trade that gives them the assets to acquire a decent multi-year centre. The OA may be able to be acquired in the offseason. There will likely be some available. It will come down to whether the 67’s want to do it early or let it all play out.

What I would like to see them do is acquire a waiver claim or super cheap OA option as a stop gap solution. I had mentioned a player like Panwar. He was traded from Flint to Peterborough for a 4th, 5th and 6th. Relatively inexpensive for a player coming off a 44 point season. Alex Johnston was a free waiver claim and he scored 22 points over 42 games. A solid stop gap solution. Both early acquisitions. So, it is possible If we look at the recent past.

You are correct when you suggest Foster and Barlas. The only problem is Barlas was a completely useless player as a centre (even the first part of last season) and Foster is ineffective at centre. Both have demonstrated the inability to play that position at this level. I’m not saying they couldn’t turn it around but I prefer to look at their demonstrated past and neither have been effective at centre. Beck at least is more experienced and has proven to be a responsible defensive player which translates to at least a stop gap solution.

The one thing we do know is they need a solution…and quick.

Caden Kelly as well as Jack Dever are both natural centre before coming go us along with foster & Barlas lots of options to test out.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Caden Kelly as well as Jack Dever are both natural centre before coming go us along with foster & Barlas lots of options to test out.

Dever would be interesting. Not sure Kelly’s game is suited to centre.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think it is important to note that some of the opinions are based on differing goals. For example, I think this season for Ottawa is a development season. I feel that if you have strong wingers that are set to return the following season, keep them as wingers and ensure they are playing with competent centres that will help them develop. I feel shifting a competent winger to centre in an effort to develop them isn’t developing them. IT is setting them up for regression.

In Beck’s case, he isn’t set to return the following season, he will be an Overage player and it is now no longer the 67’s responsibility to develop him. A returning OA has a responsibility to the team to help the younger players and in doing so they form a part of the leadership group. The leaders make the sacrifices for the team.

If we have open OA spots that can be used on centres in an effort to continue to develop the wingera then great. But, as Beast has mentioned, you need returning centres as well and right now our depth chart only has two. So, I agree with beast that we really need to add a Centre that can be a returning player, preferably not returning as an OA because we already have four to choose from.

So, my goal would be to add an OA stop gap that can play a first line role and a younger player, maybe a 17 year old, that can play the third line role. Leave Gardiner int he 2-hole and Whitehead plays the 4-hole. It doesn’t need to be done early but adding a stop gap centre OA at a cheap price should be a priority.

Then start to slowly weed out the players not returning the following season. Keep building that returning roster.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think it is important to note that some of the opinions are based on differing goals. For example, I think this season for Ottawa is a development season. I feel that if you have strong wingers that are set to return the following season, keep them as wingers and ensure they are playing with competent centres that will help them develop. I feel shifting a competent winger to centre in an effort to develop them isn’t developing them. IT is setting them up for regression.

In Beck’s case, he isn’t set to return the following season, he will be an Overage player and it is now no longer the 67’s responsibility to develop him. A returning OA has a responsibility to the team to help the younger players and in doing so they form a part of the leadership group. The leaders make the sacrifices for the team.

If we have open OA spots that can be used on centres in an effort to continue to develop the wingera then great. But, as Beast has mentioned, you need returning centres as well and right now our depth chart only has two. So, I agree with beast that we really need to add a Centre that can be a returning player, preferably not returning as an OA because we already have four to choose from.

So, my goal would be to add an OA stop gap that can play a first line role and a younger player, maybe a 17 year old, that can play the third line role. Leave Gardiner int he 2-hole and Whitehead plays the 4-hole. It doesn’t need to be done early but adding a stop gap centre OA at a cheap price should be a priority.

Then start to slowly weed out the players not returning the following season. Keep building that returning roster.
The problem with your theory that I see is if we use that route of 2 OA at centr then we are ack to the same problem next year in that we would only have Gardener and Whitehead.

I am not saying that we have players that can fill in but that we need to give the players we have the chance to show.

Look at it this way no one thought Gardner was going to be the player he is nor pinelli and Gerrior.

We and i include my self had Barlas written off,

I think that we need to give these guys a chance. as you said this is a rebuilding team. We have Donoso and beck that we can use in trades to see if maybe we can get a center prospect or draft picks. Either way next year we are going to need to come to camp with 3 centers

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The problem with your theory that I see is if we use that route of 2 OA at centr then we are ack to the same problem next year in that we would only have Gardener and Whitehead.

I am not saying that we have players that can fill in but that we need to give the players we have the chance to show.

Look at it this way no one thought Gardner was going to be the player he is nor pinelli and Gerrior.

We and i include my self had Barlas written off,

I think that we need to give these guys a chance. as you said this is a rebuilding team. We have Donoso and beck that we can use in trades to see if maybe we can get a center prospect or draft picks. Either way next year we are going to need to come to camp with 3 centers

Barlas was written off because he was playing centre. I, as well as some others, felt Barlas was better suited as a winger. Putting him back to centre and expecting different results considering his previous struggles is not a realistic positive outcome. Same with Foster. Foster is an impactful winger when he plays with a dynamic centre. He’s been average to below average when playing lower in the lineup and as a centre.

It’s possible we could move the pieces around and one of them comes out of nowhere. I did mention adding a 17 or 18 year old centre would be ideal if the price is decent. That player would need to play 2nd line next year.

At some point, whether it is this year or next, they need to add an impactful centre. Ideally, it would be this season as a younger player. Barring that, the most efficient way to acquire a suitable player is via waivers and/or expendable OAs on the cheap.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Barlas was written off because he was playing centre. I, as well as some others, felt Barlas was better suited as a winger. Putting him back to centre and expecting different results considering his previous struggles is not a realistic positive outcome. Same with Foster. Foster is an impactful winger when he plays with a dynamic centre. He’s been average to below average when playing lower in the lineup and as a centre.

It’s possible we could move the pieces around and one of them comes out of nowhere. I did mention adding a 17 or 18 year old centre would be ideal if the price is decent. That player would need to play 2nd line next year.

At some point, whether it is this year or next, they need to add an impactful centre. Ideally, it would be this season as a younger player. Barring that, the most efficient way to acquire a suitable player is via waivers and/or expendable OAs on the cheap.
I hear what you are saying I just think that unless a deal comes through for a good 17-year-old that the best is to give our players a chance to fill the void. OA's are a stop gap and puts the problem on next year.

the other unknown is the 2 euro are either of them able to take faceoffs? I know again it is not best
but it is possible.
IF Uronen comes he is going to want first-line minutes.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I hear what you are saying I just think that unless a deal comes through for a good 17-year-old that the best is to give our players a chance to fill the void. OA's are a stop gap and puts the problem on next year.

the other unknown is the 2 euro are either of them able to take faceoffs? I know again it is not best
but it is possible.
IF Uronen comes he is going to want first-line minutes.

That’s why I said Beck. He’s the most experienced of the bunch. He’s the most likely to at least keep the development momentum going.

If Barlas moves back to centre and it reaults in his line getting hemmed in their own end chafing picks, it works against what you want for development.

Ideally, you are right. We want a 17 or 18 year old centre for sure. I hope they find one. Until they do, go get an OA to fill the gap. Plan B, shift Beck to centre in the interim. Plan C, maybe someone else can fill the role. Let’s not emphasize Plan C.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
That’s why I said Beck. He’s the most experienced of the bunch. He’s the most likely to at least keep the development momentum going.

If Barlas moves back to centre and it reaults in his line getting hemmed in their own end chafing picks, it works against what you want for development.

Ideally, you are right. We want a 17 or 18 year old centre for sure. I hope they find one. Until they do, go get an OA to fill the gap. Plan B, shift Beck to centre in the interim. Plan C, maybe someone else can fill the role. Let’s not emphasize Plan C.
We still need a 3rd 4th line center

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We still need a 3rd 4th line center

1st - Beck
2nd - Gardiner
3rd - OA trade
4th - Whitehead

We stop gap with Beck and the OA trade. We work toward acquiring a young’ish centre. Hopefully by the deadline we can address that. If we do, we go into next season with:

1st - Gardiner
2nd - Trade
3rd- Whitehead
4th - Rookie (2024 draft)

If we start with “Plan C” the centre positions will look like this:

1st Gardiner
2nd Foster
3rd Barlas
4th Whitehead

I don’t think that is a viable option… at all. Gardiner is not a capable first line centre “yet.” Both Foster and Barlas proved last year not to be capable centres. I don’t think one off-season will change that. It essentially means we’d be rolling out the 2nd and 3rd lines with six wingers. Not ideal.

If we had to lean on one guy then I would lean on Foster. He won’t hurt you but he loses his effectiveness. He was nowhere near as productive as a centre but in a stop gap short term solution, he’d work well enough.

I think there is a viable roadmap. It is just a matter of whether Boyd can make it happen at a reasonable price.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
1st - Beck
2nd - Gardiner
3rd - OA trade
4th - Whitehead

We stop gap with Beck and the OA trade. We work toward acquiring a young’ish centre. Hopefully by the deadline we can address that. If we do, we go into next season with:

1st - Gardiner
2nd - Trade
3rd- Whitehead
4th - Rookie (2024 draft)

If we start with “Plan C” the centre positions will look like this:

1st Gardiner
2nd Foster
3rd Barlas
4th Whitehead

I don’t think that is a viable option… at all. Gardiner is not a capable first line centre “yet.” Both Foster and Barlas proved last year not to be capable centres. I don’t think one off-season will change that. It essentially means we’d be rolling out the 2nd and 3rd lines with six wingers. Not ideal.

If we had to lean on one guy then I would lean on Foster. He won’t hurt you but he loses his effectiveness. He was nowhere near as productive as a centre but in a stop gap short term solution, he’d work well enough.

I think there is a viable roadmap. It is just a matter of whether Boyd can make it happen at a reasonable price.
Yeah there are a lot of possibilities but the trade route is dependent on what other teams want to trade and what they want. I agree OA are cheap but unless we are trading Beck to Kingston for their first round pick there are not a lot of deals.

I don't see Beck traded until the deadline if at all Donoso will only bring picks or we could do an OA for OA swap

The question is who are going to be the teams looking to go for it this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah there are a lot of possibilities but the trade route is dependent on what other teams want to trade and what they want. I agree OA are cheap but unless we are trading Beck to Kingston for their first round pick there are not a lot of deals.

I don't see Beck traded until the deadline if at all Donoso will only bring picks or we could do an OA for OA swap

The question is who are going to be the teams looking to go for it this year.

I don’t think you can look at it with specifics.

There are always players that fall out of favour with their teams for a multitude of reasons. I think if you look at a deal last year like Outwater, that may be the way to see a prospective player being available. It also doesn’t need to be a one for one and problem solved. It can be the assets acquired from thinning out the roster in multiple trades that are used to package for the one player they want/need.

I am also operating on the assumption they want to move Donoso and Beck In an effort to help restock the draft pick cabinet but that is just an assumption on my part based on what I would do. I don’t know that to be fact.

I don’t think Beck has crazy value. I think the ceiling for him is two 2nds and a 3rd. If he is a deadline trade and he is going crazy in goal scoring and is on pace for 40+ then maybe he could garner more but I think it would be a mistake to count on more of a return than that. Donoso being a goaltender is a different beast. It will come down to demand and OA space on contenders. I’m not sure a package for him would include a 2nd. Probably 50/50 depending on the market. I think a vloume of picks deal is more likely. In a perfect world we’d get a young goalie not ready to be a starter but strong enough to be a backup plus a couple middling picks. IT resolves the backup situation, nets Ottawa maybe a 4th and 5th, and gets MacK into the starters crease where he now needs to be at his age.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Yeah but I think he meant the picks could go toward the Centre.
The picks could be used for a team like Peterborough that is going to be rebuilding Throw in a player or 2 and a couple of pics and you could get the center.
No matter even if we trade or keep them it definitely will help with the retooling Imagine 2 1st and 2 2nds next year in the draft. plus other picks for the future.

I can tell you from a fronts point of view losing domi was a success story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad