Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It isn’t approved yet so unlikely it will be done anytime in the near future.

I don’t even know what the status is at this point.
could they host the worlds in a construction zone? or is it only going o be played in kanata

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
could they host the worlds in a construction zone? or is it only going o be played in kanata

It will be at Canadian Tire Place like in 2009. The only question I have is where the 2nd location is? I’d put it at the Slushie Centre. I think the Civic Centre is toast now. I’m not sure it is viable even for the divisional games for the 2nds location that doesn’t have Canada in it.

Keeping it 100% real, even with a new rink, they would never bypass an 18,000+ seat rink for the WJHC. They will fill that no problem. I don’t think anyone really cares about the 2nd location games. When I had the package in 2009, it was set up so that you had to buy the full package so I had to give away the entire 2nd location games. I went to the sweden v Finland game at the Civic Centre and gave away whatever game was at CTC at the same time.

Keeping an eye on the new rink at TD Place, that is waiting for the Memorial Cup host. I think that has to be top priority ASAP.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
It will be at Canadian Tire Place like in 2009. The only question I have is where the 2nd location is? I’d put it at the Slushie Centre. I think the Civic Centre is toast now. I’m not sure it is viable even for the divisional games for the 2nds location that doesn’t have Canada in it.

Keeping it 100% real, even with a new rink, they would never bypass an 18,000+ seat rink for the WJHC. They will fill that no problem. I don’t think anyone really cares about the 2nd location games. When I had the package in 2009, it was set up so that you had to buy the full package so I had to give away the entire 2nd location games. I went to the sweden v Finland game at the Civic Centre and gave away whatever game was at CTC at the same time.

Keeping an eye on the new rink at TD Place, that is waiting for the Memorial Cup host. I think that has to be top priority ASAP.

The Hockey Canada press release said they’d be playing 14 games at TD Place. Hard to believe, but it’s been made public so there you go.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Not sure that is 100% confirmed. I understood it as him needing to make his club team in a role that makes sense for his development. I didn’t think that would be confirmed until later in the summer.

We’ll probably have confirmation if Ottawa makes two Import picks.
Confirmed.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sucks to see Rohrer leave, but that's the risk you run with European players. Pretty tough to tell the kid that he should ride the bus in the OHL for pocket money when he can get paid as a pro much closer to home.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Sucks to see Rohrer leave, but that's the risk you run with European players. Pretty tough to tell the kid that he should ride the bus in the OHL for pocket money when he can get paid as a pro much closer to home.
He also gets the benefit of playing against men in a Pro league I am sure Montreal is all for this. Playing in Europe has to be a step somewhere between AHL and ECHL and definitely above CHL, especially with this Ottawa team.
I think we are past the point of Euro players that play up to and including OA in the CHL.

As to the Jr world cup, it will definitely be interesting to see if the construction and licences are fast tracked to get shovels in the ground

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
He also gets the benefit of playing against men in a Pro league I am sure Montreal is all for this. Playing in Europe has to be a step somewhere between AHL and ECHL and definitely above CHL, especially with this Ottawa team.
I think we are past the point of Euro players that play up to and including OA in the CHL.

As to the Jr world cup, it will definitely be interesting to see if the construction and licences are fast tracked to get shovels in the ground
There is no way a new arena gets built in time for the World Jrs in Ottawa.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Fast track in the Glebe? I thought you lived here back in The day!

I’m not sure what the rules are for Rohrer. One advantage of drafting out of Europe is they keep the players rights longer. But, Rohrer was drafted from The OHL. So, I am not certain whether Montreal would be happy. We are talking about a kid that will likely play deep in the roster vs top 6. I don’t know what kind of development he is going to get playing Pro. Rohrer is a good player (for an 18 year old) but compared to the other European Pros in that league, he’s a small fish. This is not something for his development.

Reactions: Larionov

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa picks at #57 in the CHL Import draft on July 5th. I think that pick as well as the 117th pick will tell a lot about how they plan to fill some holes in their roster.

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
67s.jpg

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Fast track in the Glebe? I thought you lived here back in The day!

I’m not sure what the rules are for Rohrer. One advantage of drafting out of Europe is they keep the players rights longer. But, Rohrer was drafted from The OHL. So, I am not certain whether Montreal would be happy. We are talking about a kid that will likely play deep in the roster vs top 6. I don’t know what kind of development he is going to get playing Pro. Rohrer is a good player (for an 18 year old) but compared to the other European Pros in that league, he’s a small fish. This is not something for his development.
LOL people can dream. Although I think Glebe may not have as much power as they used to consider that this is not going to change the footprint except add more housing in the area therefore more customers for Bank St shops.

Rohrer will get a chance to show what he can do against adults. I think he showed what he could do here. playing against adults will be better development than playing another year here. He might also get to play as a wing instead of a center there.

As I said I think playing Euro will be a higher skill level than the OHL.

Ottawa picks at #57 in the CHL Import draft on July 5th. I think that pick as well as the 117th pick will tell a lot about how they plan to fill some holes in their roster.
Unless they have a hidden gem it is going to be tough getting 2 ready to play players in this draft.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
LOL people can dream. Although I think Glebe may not have as much power as they used to consider that this is not going to change the footprint except add more housing in the area therefore more customers for Bank St shops.

Rohrer will get a chance to show what he can do against adults. I think he showed what he could do here. playing against adults will be better development than playing another year here. He might also get to play as a wing instead of a center there.

As I said I think playing Euro will be a higher skill level than the OHL.

Unless they have a hidden gem it is going to be tough getting 2 ready to play players in this draft.

Rohrer was under a point per game as a front line player on a stacked Ottawa 67’s team. I will fully blame him being forced to play centre for that lack lustre performance BUT playing 8-10 minutes per game next year with zero PP time isn’t development. This decision ends his NHL hopes. The Swiss league is not a developmental league. It is a league where washed up North American Pro’s go to extend their careers and try to pull in tax free $150,00-$200,000k per season while living all expenses paid. Rohrer will likely make under league average as a rookie but more than what he’d make in the AHL.

Most would consider the National League (Swiss) behind the KHL and SEL (Sweden). Top prospects usually play in the KHL or SEL.

I truly believe this is the last we will hear of Rohrer unless he decides to come back to the OHL (Ottawa is keeping him protected). I still think the possibility exists that after he finishes his training camp with ZSC that he may decide to return depending on his status out of training camp, especially if he doesn’t make the team and gets sent to Tier II GCK or makes it as a spare part.

It is also possible there are personal/family reasons for him departing, not for the purposes of a “better opportunity.”

There is nothing about this that screams this is better for his development or positions him better as an NHL prospect. he proved last year he wasn’t a bonafide NHL prospect. He has upside for sure but he won’t get much of a chance to prove it now. Playing in a 4th or 5th tier league isn’t ideal, especially if he is playing in the bottom half of the depth chart up front.

I could argue this is a great decision on his part. If he is making $120k per season as opposed to pennies in the OHL then he is taking the bird in hand. He’d need to sign an NHL contract, snag that signing bonus ($240k) to be able to bridge the gap between his likely AHL salary ($80k) and his Swiss NL Salary (~$120-$150k?). If he makes that while also having his living expenses paid, that’s a pretty good deal for a small player that underachieved in his post-draft season.

EDIT:
I agree about the Glebe. I think the main issue will be funding and how it is sourced. I know the big boys on council want to kick in the coin to finish the project but there are always enough tree huggers and do-gooders on council that spurn development and scream for more resources being directed to lost causes that don’t contribute to taxes…

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Rohrer was under a point per game as a front line player on a stacked Ottawa 67’s team. I will fully blame him being forced to play centre for that lack lustre performance BUT playing 8-10 minutes per game next year with zero PP time isn’t development. This decision ends his NHL hopes. The Swiss league is not a developmental league. It is a league where washed up North American Pro’s go to extend their careers and try to pull in tax free $150,00-$200,000k per season while living all expenses paid. Rohrer will likely make under league average as a rookie but more than what he’d make in the AHL.

There is nothing about this that screams this is better for his development or positions him better as an NHL prospect. he proved last year he wasn’t a bonafide NHL prospect. He has upside for sure but he won’t get much of a chance to prove it now. Playing in a 4th or 5th tier league isn’t ideal, especially if he is playing in the bottom half of the depth chart up front.

I could argue this is a great decision on his part. If he is making $120k per season as opposed to pennies in the OHL then he is taking the bird in hand. He’d need to sign an NHL contract, snag that signing bonus ($240k) to be able to bridge the gap between his likely AHL salary ($80k) and his Swiss NL Salary (~$120-$150k?). If he makes that while also having his living expenses paid, that’s a pretty good deal for a small player that underachieved in his post-draft season.
ONly time will tell how much icetime he gets. I do agree though that him making the NHL was a long shot so starting his pro career early making good money seems a smarter choice. There is also the outside chance that he comes to the Canadian's camp and shows them something. I doubt if they will sign him ( I suspect he would still be under the CHL playing rules) but they may keep an eye on him

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022

Most would consider the National League (Swiss) behind the KHL and SEL (Sweden). Top prospects usually play in the KHL or SEL.

I truly believe this is the last we will hear of Rohrer unless he decides to come back to the OHL (Ottawa is keeping him protected). I still think the possibility exists that after he finishes his training camp with ZSC that he may decide to return depending on his status out of training camp, especially if he doesn’t make the team and gets sent to Tier II GCK or makes it as a spare part.

It is also possible there are personal/family reasons for him departing, not for the purposes of a “better opportunity.”

EDIT:
I agree about the Glebe. I think the main issue will be funding and how it is sourced. I know the big boys on council want to kick in the coin to finish the project but there are always enough tree huggers and do-gooders on council that spurn development and scream for more resources being directed to lost causes that don’t contribute to taxes…

I think there is a significant personal/family component to this. I think he's more or less giving up a shot at an NHL career (whatever shot that may be...), but he'll eventually settle into a ~$150K/year salary in a competitive league for the next 20 years while playing close to family and friends.

The Glebe NIMBYs have begun mobilizing against Lansdowne 2.0. They, and the local left wing councillor they support by a substantial margin, will rage about (and campaign on) housing densification and the lack of affordable housing but when presented with what seems to be a viable plan that could solve those problems and a few others, they scoff at it and complain about it being the product of unaccountable developers and private interests. I live in the Glebe, quite near to Lansdowne actually, and the current thing being complained about are the shadows that the new high rises will cast over the row of restaurants facing the stadium (restaurants that the Glebe NIMBYs didn't want to have developed in the first place, mind you). The older people that live around here are truly insufferable, but thankfully there are a lot of young families moving in that will eventually change the local politics.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think there is a significant personal/family component to this. I think he's more or less giving up a shot at an NHL career (whatever shot that may be...), but he'll eventually settle into a ~$150K/year salary in a competitive league for the next 20 years while playing close to family and friends.

The Glebe NIMBYs have begun mobilizing against Lansdowne 2.0. They, and the local left wing councillor they support by a substantial margin, will rage about (and campaign on) housing densification and the lack of affordable housing but when presented with what seems to be a viable plan that could solve those problems and a few others, they scoff at it and complain about it being the product of unaccountable developers and private interests. I live in the Glebe, quite near to Lansdowne actually, and the current thing being complained about are the shadows that the new high rises will cast over the row of restaurants facing the stadium (restaurants that the Glebe NIMBYs didn't want to have developed in the first place, mind you). The older people that live around here are truly insufferable, but thankfully there are a lot of young families moving in that will eventually change the local politics.

Individuals need to make decisions that are right for them. The reality is even if Rohrer were to sign an NHL contract, the odds would be long on him making the jump to the NHL. He‘d likely have to play in the AHL for at least the three years after this season. He’d make around $480k between signing bonus and salary and he’d have to cover all of his living expenses. If he can get $120k for this year and the next four years in Switzerland then it is same-same. Less games and playing in a league less violent. Better quality of life and closer to home. I can understand the decision.

Marco Rossi is a far superior player and hasn’t found a way to break into the NHL yet. Just a comparison. I think if Marco Rossi were to play in Switzerland, he’d be on the higher side of the compensation ($250k+ per season). I think he average salary in Switzerland is around $225k.

So, this may very well be a strong decision for Rohrer. Unfortunate for the 67’s but so be it.

Regarding the Glebe, I think it will obviously delay the project but my understanding is the council has enough sway on it to get it done without too much delay. It will be about the dollars and cents at this point. Securing the funding and putting forward a strong financial proposal will be the necessary final piece of the project approval. I’m not too sure what they can do in the courts now. With the LRT in place and further expansion happening, coupled with expanded public transit and a global shift towards intensified city centres and community building for “environmental reasons,” this project continues to check off the boxes for the WEF types. Cities need to build stronger population bases in the heart of the city. Ottawa has relied so much on suburban communities (and continues to do so). Developing Lansdowne marries the business and residential in a way that seems to be a priority across all major metropolitan areas now. More walking/riding than cars. I cannot see the NIMBY‘s having a significant impact at this point in time.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Interesting Schedule for Ottawa this season. With Hamilton moving to Branford, we reduce our number of divisional games against them to only 4. Those two games go to North Bay For a total of 6 instead of the typical 4. We keep the eight games against each of Kingston, Peterborough and Oshawa. Sudbury still remains at two games. So, relatively balanced with the exception of Brantford, North Bay and Sudbury.

Three home games in October followed by only three road games in November. If they can get off to a decent start with the heavy road schedule to start the season, it may be interesting headed into the deadline.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
I don’t think anyone really cares about the 2nd location games. When I had the package in 2009, it was set up so that you had to buy the full package so I had to give away the entire 2nd location games. I went to the sweden v Finland game at the Civic Centre and gave away whatever game was at CTC at the same time.
I bought a couple of single games at the Civic Centre for my handicapped father and I. Cost was $7.00 for the tickets. $15 for parking. The parking cost more than the combined tickets....

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Interesting Schedule for Ottawa this season. With Hamilton moving to Branford, we reduce our number of divisional games against them to only 4. Those two games go to North Bay For a total of 6 instead of the typical 4. We keep the eight games against each of Kingston, Peterborough and Oshawa. Sudbury still remains at two games. So, relatively balanced with the exception of Brantford, North Bay and Sudbury.

Three home games in October followed by only three road games in November. If they can get off to a decent start with the heavy road schedule to start the season, it may be interesting headed into the deadline.
The heavy road games in October are actually great. Especially the northern trip before it snows. Good chance for bonding and getting to know each other. Also, they don't have to worry about winter weather.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The heavy road games in October are actually great. Especially the northern trip before it snows. Good chance for bonding and getting to know each other. Also, they don't have to worry about winter weather.

Pretty standard really. I know Killer used to try to do that Northern trip to open the season. Quite often that trip comprised the first three games of the schedule. Then North Bay moved and it sort of vanished.

I remember the old days when he’d do the four game in 3.5 days to Detroit/Plymouth, Sarnia, Windsor and then London on the Sunday afternoon. We were lucky London sucked many of those years and they managed to pull out quite a few wins on that 4th day. Always lost to Windsor on the Thursday though.

Then they’d do the Guelph, Kitchen and Owen Soind trip.

Those three trips pretty much took care of the Western Conference/division.

I bought a couple of single games at the Civic Centre for my handicapped father and I. Cost was $7.00 for the tickets. $15 for parking. The parking cost more than the combined tickets....
Pretty crazy. I think I sold almost all of my Civic Centre tickets for about $5 each.

I’ll have to check out how to get a package for this one. I assume the Sens season ticket holders will get first right of refusal.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am still bummed about the loss of Rohrer. There's no way to sugarcoat it - we are now down a skilled player who would have put up a ton of points in his third OHL season. Unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat at the import draft, it will be a downgrade. This team should still be very competitive - strong in goal, two potential first rounders on the blueline, etc., but things definitely just got tougher. Nothing that can be done about it, as it's just the risk you run with European players.

I'm not convinced that this hurts his standing with the Habs. NHL teams have eyes on European prospects all the time, so keeping tabs on him isn't difficult. If he shows anything playing against men in the Swiss League they'll sign him to an entry level deal. It's worth noting that he is still really young - doesn't turn 19 until September. IIRC this is where Auston Matthews spent a season and it didn't seem to hurt him much...

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am still bummed about the loss of Rohrer. There's no way to sugarcoat it - we are now down a skilled player who would have put up a ton of points in his third OHL season. Unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat at the import draft, it will be a downgrade. This team should still be very competitive - strong in goal, two potential first rounders on the blueline, etc., but things definitely just got tougher. Nothing that can be done about it, as it's just the risk you run with European players.

I'm not convinced that this hurts his standing with the Habs. NHL teams have eyes on European prospects all the time, so keeping tabs on him isn't difficult. If he shows anything playing against men in the Swiss League they'll sign him to an entry level deal. It's worth noting that he is still really young - doesn't turn 19 until September. IIRC this is where Auston Matthews spent a season and it didn't seem to hurt him much...

In all fairness, you cannot compare the situations between Rohrer and Matthews. Matthews would have been wasting his time in the USHL. He was the #1 guy in that draft regardless of where he played. Sort of like when Lindros went to play for Team Canada instead of sticking with the Generals the year he didn’t report to Quebec after being drafted.

I know you are trying to take the high road and look at it positively but the reality is, this is not the best situation for Rohrer. This is a decision that goes against hips best interests if he wants to play NHL hockey. No matter how you look at it, his road to the NHL is much more difficult now than it was.

If he was a bonafide top prospect that was trying to challenge himself, he’d have gone the same route as many others and stayed in the KHL or SEL. There was some debate on behalf of Marco Kasper last year staying to play in the SEL for Rogle Instead of with the 67’s or the AHL. But, that is regarded as a highly competitive program in the second toughest European league. There is quite a drop off from the SEL to the National League. When you look at the “prospects” comparison between he two leagues, as well as ex-NHLers playing etc, you see a pretty big difference.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I know you are trying to take the high road and look at it positively but the reality is, this is not the best situation for Rohrer. This is a decision that goes against hips best interests if he wants to play NHL hockey. No matter how you look at it, his road to the NHL is much more difficult now than it was.
I'd be interested to know just how much contact Rohrer has had with Habs management. Would they have weighed in with their views on this move? There's not much they can do about it, of course, when he isn't under contract to them. If they wanted him to stay in North America, then they had to sign him to an ELC, which they haven't done yet.

You see this often with European players - they get homesick, and when they get a chance to play at home instead of in the CHL or AHL, they grab it. That NHL dream doesn't always burn for them the way it does for North American born players - when they were growing up, European pro hockey was the big time, and playing in the Worlds or the Spengler Cup was huge. In this case, a kid has a chance to get much closer to home, and get paid while he is at it. This is the weak spot for the CHL - you're asking kids to basically play for free as a down payment on a potential NHL future. Some are willing to do that, while some are going to go NCAA or head back to Europe.

No matter how it goes for him, I wish the kid the best - people around the 67's organization have nothing but good things to say about his character...

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Brad Gardiner is the first 67 off the board. Huh, thought it would have been Pinelli. Dallas traded up to get him, apparently.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Brad Gardiner is the first 67 off the board. Huh, thought it would have been Pinelli. Dallas traded up to get him, apparently.

Gardiner has that “sumthin sumthin” that only a handful of players have. It is also why the Leafs used their 1st rounder on Cowan. Same sort of deal.

I think Gardiner will carve out a good NHL career as a 3rd line specialist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad