Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009

HCD youngster Kimi Körbler to suit up for the Ottawa 67's​

Not so sure about this.

With their second pick, 117th overall, the 67’s took Kimi Körbler, a 2006-born player from Switzerland. As of now, commitment isn’t in place between the 67’s and Körbler, but Boyd continues working toward it.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
With respect to Gerrior, his production really took off once Morrison arrived in Ottawa and he was lined-up on Morrison's right side (with Beck on the other wing), and after some time for that line to gel. Prior to Morrison's arrival, Gerrior was a really good 3rd-line winger on the 67s but his offensive production was pretty limited. He has great speed and a great motor, gets in hard on the forecheck and is not afraid to play the body, and is (what I consider to be) an elite PKer.

Prior to Morrison's arrival, Gerrior primarily played with Gardiner, and it wouldn't surprise me if they are reunited in Ottawa's top-6 again this year.

I really like Gerrior as a player but he's somewhat limited by his size (he seems sturdy enough but doesn't really have the size to be truly elite at the game he seems to desire to play) and hands; in the Peterborough series he had difficulty getting past their neutral zone configuration and penetrating on the forecheck at full speed.

If we're building towards a run in 2024-25, assuming Mayich and MacKenzie are locked-in as OAs, I presume Stonehouse would get the nod as the forward OA over Gerrior given his offensive production; Stonehouse could be a 50-goal scorer as an OA. As an aside, Stonehouse was invited to Team Canada's summer "camp" for the 2024 World Juniors, which I think signals the high expectations for Stonehouse for this upcoming season and how other CHL GMs view him.

I guess there is a world in which Mayich is traded and Ottawa really leans on Mews & Marrelli for a deep playoff run but to me it seems more feasible that Gerrior is traded at the deadline this coming season and Ottawa returns Stonehouse, Mayich and MacKenzie as OAs for 2024-25. I think that despite everything really positive I've heard about Gerrior's character and leadership capabilities.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With respect to Gerrior, his production really took off once Morrison arrived in Ottawa and he was lined-up on Morrison's right side (with Beck on the other wing), and after some time for that line to gel. Prior to Morrison's arrival, Gerrior was a really good 3rd-line winger on the 67s but his offensive production was pretty limited. He has great speed and a great motor, gets in hard on the forecheck and is not afraid to play the body, and is (what I consider to be) an elite PKer.

Prior to Morrison's arrival, Gerrior primarily played with Gardiner, and it wouldn't surprise me if they are reunited in Ottawa's top-6 again this year.

I really like Gerrior as a player but he's somewhat limited by his size (he seems sturdy enough but doesn't really have the size to be truly elite at the game he seems to desire to play) and hands; in the Peterborough series he had difficulty getting past their neutral zone configuration and penetrating on the forecheck at full speed.

If we're building towards a run in 2024-25, assuming Mayich and MacKenzie are locked-in as OAs, I presume Stonehouse would get the nod as the forward OA over Gerrior given his offensive production; Stonehouse could be a 50-goal scorer as an OA. As an aside, Stonehouse was invited to Team Canada's summer "camp" for the 2024 World Juniors, which I think signals the high expectations for Stonehouse for this upcoming season and how other CHL GMs view him.

I guess there is a world in which Mayich is traded and Ottawa really leans on Mews & Marrelli for a deep playoff run but to me it seems more feasible that Gerrior is traded at the deadline this coming season and Ottawa returns Stonehouse, Mayich and MacKenzie as OAs for 2024-25. I think that despite everything really positive I've heard about Gerrior's character and leadership capabilities.

I agree mostly. The one prediction I will make is Gerrior isn’t traded this season. I think Boyd will wait for next season to see who returns. If he has all four return, he will then probably select Gerrior as the odd man out.

I feel there is a lot of emphasis internally on loyalty. I cannot see Gerrior’s return being enough for them to trade him at the deadline.

They could have and should have moved some bodies this past year at the deadline and only moved the rarely played, Quick. I sense that is likely to happen again.

Beck and Donoso are the ones that may go. Smyth and Sirman likely on the block to start the season.

Not what I would do but if I pull out my crystal ball, that’s what I see.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
On the Brzustewicz situation, here's a quote from an article on the 67's website:
--------------------
Despite all of the good news on the draft front, there’s still work to be done. Notably, Ottawa’s first-round pick Henry Brzustewicz remains unsigned, but Boyd continues to search for the right solution.

“We’re still working with Brzustewicz,” Boyd said. “We’re talking with his agent and seeing where he fits in with our group, but we have seven capable defencemen returning, so those discussions continue.”
I think that may be the biggest problem signing him that there are a lot of players that are OHL qualified ahead of him and no real guanarantee of minute

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think that may be the biggest problem signing him that there are a lot of players that are OHL qualified ahead of him and no real guanarantee of minute

In my mind it makes zero sense to give him up and keep Sirman and Smyth unless the plan all along was to nudge him toward defected status and gain the picks. If they truly want to keep him and the only thing standing int he way is ice time in a retool year, it would be a terrible management of assets. Imagine if he develops the same as kids like Mews and Marrelli? You may as well pack up and go home.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
In my mind it makes zero sense to give him up and keep Sirman and Smyth unless the plan all along was to nudge him toward defected status and gain the picks. If they truly want to keep him and the only thing standing int he way is ice time in a retool year, it would be a terrible management of assets. Imagine if he develops the same as kids like Mews and Marrelli? You may as well pack up and go home.
I agree but if he expects to get top 5 d minutes it could be a stretch. With this lne up and until they make trades they are top heavy and really cannot guarantee that he will play all the games. If the idea is to trade players as it should they have to showcase them in the regualr season

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree but if he expects to get top 5 d minutes it could be a stretch. With this lne up and until they make trades they are top heavy and really cannot guarantee that he will play all the games. If the idea is to trade players as it should they have to showcase them in the regualr season

He would need to earn his minutes but if he is battling Horner and Ewles for ice time during a retool year, it shouldn’t be an issue. If he is battling those two plus Smyth and Sirman then IMO it is an issue.

From my perspective we have Mews, Marrelli and Mayich as the top 3. Then in some sort of order we have Sirman, Smyth, Ewles and Horner to round out 7 spots. HB would be grouped in with that second group of four. As we’ve discussed, it makes no sense to have seven returning D-Men in a retool year. It leaves no room for continuity of development.

So, either Ottawa drafted HB to trade him and recoup assets through the defected rule or they need to make room. You don’t pick guys in the first round and then sit them in the press box because of a silly numbers game. You plan to play them 65-68 games no matter what. Depth chart shouldn’t matter for first rounders. If during that first season the 1st rounder isn’t capable then so be it. You treat them like Barlas and push them down the depth chart. No big deal. But when you play them and they are on par or close with that other group of four players, you play your 16 year old first rounder. He’s your franchise player in 3-4 years. Ewles and Horner are not nor will they ever be a franchise player.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
He would need to earn his minutes but if he is battling Horner and Ewles for ice time during a retool year, it shouldn’t be an issue. If he is battling those two plus Smyth and Sirman then IMO it is an issue.

From my perspective we have Mews, Marrelli and Mayich as the top 3. Then in some sort of order we have Sirman, Smyth, Ewles and Horner to round out 7 spots. HB would be grouped in with that second group of four. As we’ve discussed, it makes no sense to have seven returning D-Men in a retool year. It leaves no room for continuity of development.

So, either Ottawa drafted HB to trade him and recoup assets through the defected rule or they need to make room. You don’t pick guys in the first round and then sit them in the press box because of a silly numbers game. You plan to play them 65-68 games no matter what. Depth chart shouldn’t matter for first rounders. If during that first season the 1st rounder isn’t capable then so be it. You treat them like Barlas and push them down the depth chart. No big deal. But when you play them and they are on par or close with that other group of four players, you play your 16 year old first rounder. He’s your franchise player in 3-4 years. Ewles and Horner are not nor will they ever be a franchise player.
Your last paragraph does not fit the London model. They tend to sit 1st rounders all of the time and then trade them because they don't develop. Seems to work for them though.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Your last paragraph does not fit the London model. They tend to sit 1st rounders all of the time and then trade them because they don't develop. Seems to work for them though.

Well, London has a tendency of drafting first rounders in the 4th round so they get depth some other teams don’t get. I’m not saying that to be mean or nasty. Good for them if they are able to entice quality players to their program.

That said, I do think they’ve slipped somewhat over the last 10 years. I don’t get the sense they are head and shoulders the best franchise anymore. That gap has narrowed. Some other franchises are catching up. Ottawa being one of them.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

i think its a bit of poor scouting and valuing vs development. lucas rowe, ben bujold, lucas testa where questionable 1st round picks, where as rolofs was never even given a shot. it doesnt matter because they can get guys like george and bonk to say they are going ncaa and then signing

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well, London has a tendency of drafting first rounders in the 4th round so they get depth some other teams don’t get. I’m not saying that to be mean or nasty. Good for them if they are able to entice quality players to their program.

That said, I do think they’ve slipped somewhat over the last 10 years. I don’t get the sense they are head and shoulders the best franchise anymore. That gap has narrowed. Some other franchises are catching up. Ottawa being one of them.
I think Guelph & OS are the teams to beat this season, but it’s hard to say London has slipped after four straight toughest OHL division titles. And Barkley, Bonk, Cowan, Dickinson all have a couple of years left.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think Guelph & OS are the teams to beat this season, but it’s hard to say London has slipped after four straight toughest OHL division titles. And Barkley, Bonk, Cowan, Dickinson all have a couple of years left.
I was more referring to London not getting the volume of players to report that they used to. In many cases they could pick 20th and get the 4th rated player. Now with the deception rule, it is tougher for them to compile that level of player. 10 years ago, maybe Dickenson falls to them but not now. they have to pony up the trade pieces to get those players Way more than they used to be able to.

Reactions: dirty12

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I was more referring to London not getting the volume of players to report that they used to. In many cases they could pick 20th and get the 4th rated player. Now with the deception rule, it is tougher for them to compile that level of player. 10 years ago, maybe Dickenson falls to them but not now. they have to pony up the trade pieces to get those players Way more than they used to be able to.
oh for sure, the usa pipeline has dried up. crane is a good ohl player but not elite, aarowsmith is good but not elite. they lost their old us scout a few years ago pre-covid and have never been able to replate. for a while there everyone they drafted showed up eventually. now its the other way around.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The defect rule certainly helps, but it might have more to do with London not having one of the very first 2nds plus an additional 2nd for a couple of years and more teams are making the riskier pick prior to round 4 now, particularly Flint & Kitchener.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The defect rule certainly helps, but it might have more to do with London not having one of the very first 2nds plus an additional 2nd for a couple of years and more teams are making the riskier pick prior to round 4 now, particularly Flint & Kitchener.

100%. Risk vs Reward plays a factor. I think there is a lot less subtle information out there now as well. With the rise in the quality of the USHL and being able to see trends in how players make decisions starting at 14, I really think teams have a better feel now than they did 10+ years ago. The management teams are far more in tune with the wishes of players than they were previously. They have a much better sense on the probability of reporting. Teams will still take some shots int he dark and others still may have an inside track at being more successful at enticing players to report but the variance in ability to acquire and retain players has been significantly reduced.

Reactions: beastintheeast

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I agree mostly. The one prediction I will make is Gerrior isn’t traded this season. I think Boyd will wait for next season to see who returns. If he has all four return, he will then probably select Gerrior as the odd man out.

I feel there is a lot of emphasis internally on loyalty. I cannot see Gerrior’s return being enough for them to trade him at the deadline.

They could have and should have moved some bodies this past year at the deadline and only moved the rarely played, Quick. I sense that is likely to happen again.

Beck and Donoso are the ones that may go. Smyth and Sirman likely on the block to start the season.

Not what I would do but if I pull out my crystal ball, that’s what I see.

That's fair. A contending team could use someone like Gerrior to play in their middle-6 but I agree that the return might not be significant enough for Ottawa to move him at this year's deadline, instead of letting him play out the season and playoffs and in the event, say, Stonehouse moves up to the pro level instead of coming back as an OA.

I also think either Sirman or Smyth (or maybe both) gets shipped out before the season begins, if only to relieve a logjam of sorts for some of the younger guys coming up. Both have pros and cons...Smyth can protect his teammates and drop the gloves (and is capable defensively), Sirman has F/D versatility and also fights (though much less successfully).

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
I think you’re right and this is coming from a Knights fan. However, I don’t think it’s a knock against London. I think the big reason why London hasn’t been able to recruit players as easily is because the NCAA Universities have gotten better and more desirable. The facilities have gotten better, playing against men, scholarships are better or around the same etc.

The CHL used to be the “head and shoulders” above league to develop young stars (until about 2014) but now the NCAA has taken that mantle. So even the prestigious London Knights can’t pry that away from them.

But you are right, London remains the top destination and then with some order of Ottawa, Oshawa, Kitchener and Windsor, and always the dark horse Guelph as a second tier destination.

To be honest, I prefer that other teams are able to recruit star forms the USA. It makes the league better if other teams are getting their guys other than just London.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gondrex and OMG67

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
100%. Risk vs Reward plays a factor. I think there is a lot less subtle information out there now as well. With the rise in the quality of the USHL and being able to see trends in how players make decisions starting at 14, I really think teams have a better feel now than they did 10+ years ago. The management teams are far more in tune with the wishes of players than they were previously. They have a much better sense on the probability of reporting. Teams will still take some shots int he dark and others still may have an inside track at being more successful at enticing players to report but the variance in ability to acquire and retain players has been significantly reduced.
Yeah, OHL teams probably benefit since US schools cannot really risk talking to kids before turning 16.
I think the U18 draft was a real equalizer. I remember one year London traded signed FA to the wolves for a 2nd, ‘67s a 3rd, and Gens a 2 & 3. I may have the ‘67s & Gens mixed up, but it illustrates how London was negatively affected by much fewer available FAs.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjziel

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Yeah, OHL teams probably benefit since US schools cannot really risk talking to kids before turning 16.
I think the U18 draft was a real equalizer. I remember one year London traded signed FA to the wolves for a 2nd, ‘67s a 3rd, and Gens a 2 & 3. I may have the ‘67s & Gens mixed up, but it illustrates how London was negatively affected by much fewer available FAs.
The people talking to under 16 was in the old days. With the rise of the USHL and theoir ability to draft and develop stars that are drafted into the NHL it has deminished.

You can look at a few canadian players that have decided that they had a better shot at life in the USHL.

It used to be that a player had to sort of stunt their growth and play Junior B inorder to keep themselves eleigible for the NCAA. Thas has disappeared now. Players that want that duel opportunity of showing off for scouts, developing and having the university (US) offer can now play in the USHL.

In BK instance I find it interesting that he was not draftedby any USHL team. This has nothing to do with him being drafted high in Ontario but there is soething else at play here as teams can usually waste a late round pick on a player in the lter rounds instead they all passed.

his parents haver a plan what it is I am not sure.

OMG when we talk about the university credit that OHL players get does that stricltly adhere to Cdn universties? Could this be a sticking point if say they wanted the option of their son being able to go to Michigan?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think you’re right and this is coming from a Knights fan. However, I don’t think it’s a knock against London. I think the big reason why London hasn’t been able to recruit players as easily is because the NCAA Universities have gotten better and more desirable. The facilities have gotten better, playing against men, scholarships are better or around the same etc.

The CHL used to be the “head and shoulders” above league to develop young stars (until about 2014) but now the NCAA has taken that mantle. So even the prestigious London Knights can’t pry that away from them.

But you are right, London remains the top destination and then with some order of Ottawa, Oshawa, Kitchener and Windsor, and always the dark horse Guelph as a second tier destination.

To be honest, I prefer that other teams are able to recruit star forms the USA. It makes the league better if other teams are getting their guys other than just London.
London is a top destination because of the coching development and how high some of the plaeyers are drafted.

It used to be Ottawa London Kitchener Oshawa Peterborough in the old days.
I had more to do with the coaching than anything else.

Now it is defeinitley the Hunters at number 1
Number 2 depends on teh coaches length of time int he league and their ability.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The people talking to under 16 was in the old days. With the rise of the USHL and theoir ability to draft and develop stars that are drafted into the NHL it has deminished.

You can look at a few canadian players that have decided that they had a better shot at life in the USHL.

It used to be that a player had to sort of stunt their growth and play Junior B inorder to keep themselves eleigible for the NCAA. Thas has disappeared now. Players that want that duel opportunity of showing off for scouts, developing and having the university (US) offer can now play in the USHL.

In BK instance I find it interesting that he was not draftedby any USHL team. This has nothing to do with him being drafted high in Ontario but there is soething else at play here as teams can usually waste a late round pick on a player in the lter rounds instead they all passed.

his parents haver a plan what it is I am not sure.

OMG when we talk about the university credit that OHL players get does that stricltly adhere to Cdn universties? Could this be a sticking point if say they wanted the option of their son being able to go to Michigan?

Regarding the school package, it relates to where they are located. If a US born and resident player plays in Ottawa, his school package is based in the state where he resides. However, I believe it has a max value per year. So if he resides in Mass and went to Harvard, only a portion of his tuition would be covered. If he went to a state school in Mass, I believe his full tuition is paid. In the US, the State schools are more reasonably priced.

Reactions: dirty12

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Regarding the school package, it relates to where they are located. If a US born and resident player plays in Ottawa, his school package is based in the state where he resides. However, I believe it has a max value per year. So if he resides in Mass and went to Harvard, only a portion of his tuition would be covered. If he went to a state school in Mass, I believe his full tuition is paid. In the US, the State schools are more reasonably priced.
its somewhat negotiable. for example a michigan kid could opt for an oakland university vs a michigan state, and all of a sudden the team is only on the hook for 9k us vs 20k us

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
its somewhat negotiable. for example a michigan kid could opt for an oakland university vs a michigan state, and all of a sudden the team is only on the hook for 9k us vs 20k us

Isn’t there a league mandated maximum annual value? I don’t think teams can offer more than $20k total value per season. Something like that. If the player went to a school that was $50k all in per season, the teams aren’t allowed to offer that I don’t think.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Isn’t there a league mandated maximum annual value? I don’t think teams can offer more than $20k total value per season. Something like that. If the player went to a school that was $50k all in per season, the teams aren’t allowed to offer that I don’t think.
i dont think so, ontario kids are getting over 20k for sure. room and board may cause 8 or 10k these days alone let alone the other costs with school.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The OHL pays ON born the equivalent of fees nearest to permanent address when drafted, better not to be near Nippissing as a gold package including room and board being near the Toronto universities would be worth considerably more. Toronto Metropolitan would be ~$25K Cdn.
It would make sense for US born to receive the equivalent of public funded state schools nearest their permanent address.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad