Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
And I think from an Ottawa perspective, a stable RD with some size that can make the first pass would be the ideal candidate.

I am making the assumption that no internal candidate on Ottawa fits that role. Maybe Mayich can shift to the right side and open a spot on the left side. Who knows?

Either way, that would likely be an addition closer to the deadline anyway.

The centre is needed pretty much right away. They’ll struggle with a rotation of wingers playing centre.
I agree they need an extra center.

I don;t hink that e need an extra D or any other players especially rentals.

This is a team that marred to look at the Hamilton blueprint
Play hard and at the break trade our OA and or Stonehouse.

Being a md pack team is not going to hurt them last year we got lucky, and a few players really shone.

We may be surprised at training camp but I would think that it would be better to develop the team regain the draft picks and fill the cupboard. I think that this year while the east may be confused the West and London are not.

To say that winning the East gets you an automatic trip to the sup is a laugh. There is nothing to say that Saginaw is going to be the best in the west.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree they need an extra center.

I don;t hink that e need an extra D or any other players especially rentals.

This is a team that marred to look at the Hamilton blueprint
Play hard and at the break trade our OA and or Stonehouse.

Being a md pack team is not going to hurt them last year we got lucky, and a few players really shone.

We may be surprised at training camp but I would think that it would be better to develop the team regain the draft picks and fill the cupboard. I think that this year while the east may be confused the West and London are not.

To say that winning the East gets you an automatic trip to the sup is a laugh. There is nothing to say that Saginaw is going to be the best in the west.

There are two options:

1> Do a controlled sell off and regain assets to use in future years.
or
2> Make a push this year.

The smart plan is #1. But, since the East seems very gettable this year, there is an argument to be made for making a run this year. If they do make a run, they need two centres and an experienced D-Man. That’s the cost of doing business. They cannot decide to make a run and then go get one decent OA Centre and call it a day And think they have enough to make it all work.

It is one or the other. There really shouldn’t be anything in between. Anything in between is a waste of assets one way or the other.

The plan should be to thin out the defence and sign HB. Then trade Donoso, Beck and one of the 19 year olds provided the return is solid. Add a middling OA Centre to help continue the development of the wingers. Use this season as a development year While restocking the draft picks a bit.

The post you referenced was strictly about “IF” they made a run, that is what they’d need.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
There are two options:

1> Do a controlled sell off and regain assets to use in future years.
or
2> Make a push this year.

The smart plan is #1. But, since the East seems very gettable this year, there is an argument to be made for making a run this year. If they do make a run, they need two centres and an experienced D-Man. That’s the cost of doing business. They cannot decide to make a run and then go get one decent OA Centre and call it a day And think they have enough to make it all work.

It is one or the other. There really shouldn’t be anything in between. Anything in between is a waste of assets one way or the other.

The plan should be to thin out the defence and sign HB. Then trade Donoso, Beck and one of the 19 year olds provided the return is solid. Add a middling OA Centre to help continue the development of the wingers. Use this season as a development year While restocking the draft picks a bit.

The post you referenced was strictly about “IF” they made a run, that is what they’d need.
It makes no sense to try for the best team in the east unless a few teams in the west notable London fall apart.

Saying we were the best of the east is okay, but in order to be the Beast of the East you have to win it all.

I fully agree this is the year to recoup and gain. It would be nice to get some picks in the cupboard. Depending don't the cost a second-year center or 1 OA or a last year center would not be a bad thing.

I don't think we will see the OA center until after camp I think they are going to see if Uronen can fill the void.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa

Interesting article from the most plugged in 67’s source, JF Plante.

Sam Mayer, OA D is rumoured to be dealt to either Sudbury or Ottawa if he returns to the league.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Interesting article from the most plugged in 67’s source, JF Plante.

Sam Mayer, OA D is rumoured to be dealt to either Sudbury or Ottawa if he returns to the league.

I’d lean on Sudbury. They seem to be in more of a win now mode. That said, if Mayer wants to come home, he could engineer it.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
i think ottawa stays pat until they see what they have

Agreed but I think they reasonably know they need a centre. They will give a few guys an opportunity in camp and preseason to shift from the wing but it isn’t realistic to expect two of them to make a permanent shift.

Regarding Mayer, the point being that if Mayer says he wants to go to Ottawa and the cost is reasonable to discounted, Ottawa would really need to make that move regardless of need. They can move out a 19 year old that isn’t returning as an OA next year anyway to manufacture a roster spot.

I just think that if he is willing to go to Sudbury, I think they’d pay more and be more willing to pull an early trigger.

rossiroo

Sep 20, 2015
Any word on when training camp will start and whether there are any practices or red/white games the public can watch?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Agreed but I think they reasonably know they need a centre. They will give a few guys an opportunity in camp and preseason to shift from the wing but it isn’t realistic to expect two of them to make a permanent shift.

Regarding Mayer, the point being that if Mayer says he wants to go to Ottawa and the cost is reasonable to discounted, Ottawa would really need to make that move regardless of need. They can move out a 19 year old that isn’t returning as an OA next year anyway to manufacture a roster spot.

I just think that if he is willing to go to Sudbury, I think they’d pay more and be more willing to pull an early trigger.
Mayer is a waste of a trade. We are still trying to figure out how we find time for the kids we drafted, Now you want to add another D.

We have returning D that can lead or need to learn to lead. I think this is the mews, Marelli
the year that they step up as readers in defence.
I think the only thing we need to look for is an OA center that a team no longer needs that can fill the 2nd line

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Mayer is a waste of a trade. We are still trying to figure out how we find time for the kids we drafted, Now you want to add another D.

We have returning D that can lead or need to learn to lead. I think this is the mews, Marelli
the year that they step up as readers in defence.
I think the only thing we need to look for is an OA center that a team no longer needs that can fill the 2nd line

If we can trade Sirman and Smyth for a bigger total package than Mayer, it is a win. It depends on whether Mayer tries to steer the trade toward Ottawa. If either Mayich or Mayer can play their off wing, that is a good first pairing. It allows Mews and Marrelli to take the 2nd pairing as 17 year olds.

I think that is a better setup. Allows for gradual development without throwing them to the sharks with less support.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If we can trade Sirman and Smyth for a bigger total package than Mayer, it is a win. It depends on whether Mayer tries to steer the trade toward Ottawa. If either Mayich or Mayer can play their off wing, that is a good first pairing. It allows Mews and Marrelli to take the 2nd pairing as 17 year olds.

I think that is a better setup. Allows for gradual development without throwing them to the sharks with less support.
they were asking for a 3rd and 4th at the deadline for sirman last year i think, not sure they'd get that now.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
they were asking for a 3rd and 4th at the deadline for sirman last year i think, not sure they'd get that now.

I see Sirman in a similar situation to Gill-Shane last year. More about trying to find a place for him to play rather than concentrating on the value of the return.

I’m not sure of Smyth’s value. Big kid but I really don’t have a sense of how the league looks at him.

Regarding Mayer, he isn’t a big trade value player either. It is always tough to gauge when it is an OA D-Man.

67’s have the Brzustewicz issue to deal with as well.

So many balls in the air for them. I have no clue how they will all fall. This could be a reset year or a competitive year. I think they will reset while staying very respectable but who knows….

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I see Sirman in a similar situation to Gill-Shane last year. More about trying to find a place for him to play rather than concentrating on the value of the return.

I’m not sure of Smyth’s value. Big kid but I really don’t have a sense of how the league looks at him.

Regarding Mayer, he isn’t a big trade value player either. It is always tough to gauge when it is an OA D-Man.

67’s have the Brzustewicz issue to deal with as well.

So many balls in the air for them. I have no clue how they will all fall. This could be a reset year or a competitive year. I think they will reset while staying very respectable but who knows….

smith will probably go for a mid round pick or back to peterborough if they do get meyer.

sirman is interesting, he plays hard and teams are begging for aggressive d but he never seemed to find himself in ottawa for whatever reason, marelli and mews becoming regulars didnt help him.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
smith will probably go for a mid round pick or back to peterborough if they do get meyer.

sirman is interesting, he plays hard and teams are begging for aggressive d but he never seemed to find himself in ottawa for whatever reason, marelli and mews becoming regulars didnt help him.

It’s a depth issue. He’s also a Left side guy on a team that had a lot of left side guys.

Right place at right time gives certain players opportunities they normally wouldn’t get otherwise. I think for Sirman, it was the opposite. He’s in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is a casualty of the double cohort As well.

Ottawa also drafted two D-Men in the first round last year and another one in the first round this year. Priority will always be given to first rounders.

As rookies, there really wasn’t a lot of separation between Sirman and Mayich other than their size. Mayich is a little bigger. Going into their D+3 season last year as sophomores because of Covid, Mayich found a spot beside Matier. Sirman was relegated to a lessor role.

I like Sirman. All things being equal, I’d rather have him instead of Ewles and Horner but the other two are Right Shot D-Men. We can use Right Side D. Smyth has a completely different skill set. It’s tough to decide between the two if it were to come down to that.

All I can say is it really feels like Brzustewicz was drafted specifically to trade as a defected player. It makes no sense for them to have drafted another D-Man. If that is the case then Ottawa has a top three followed by a group of D-Men that will slot in without needing to trade any away. The only question is whether they add a top pairing capable guy like Mayer. If they sign Brzustewicz, it is clear they are making an effort at developing the back end. If so, I’d likely put him beside Mayich and let him develop with a steady and consistent D-Man. Mews and Marrelli play together on the first pair and let it roll. Whoever slots in behind them, so be it. Ewles likely takes the 3rd pair role on the right side with one of Sirman or Smyth taking the left side. Horner sticks as a depth D-Man with Dietsch as a rookie in the 8 slot. Traditional wisdom would state the following as a depth chart:

Marrelli - Mews
Mayich - Brzustewicz
Sirman/Smyth - Ewles
Dietsch - Horner

If Brzustewicz is traded as defected:

Mayich - OA Trade (Mayer?)
Marrelli - Mews
Sirman/Smyth - Ewles
Dietsch - Horner

Either way, to me it looks like they trade one of Sirman or Smyth. Dietsch and Horner get spotted in on rotation with Ewles and are injury replacements. It all comes down to Brzustewicz it seems.

Reactions: BarberPole9

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It’s a depth issue. He’s also a Left side guy on a team that had a lot of left side guys.

Right place at right time gives certain players opportunities they normally wouldn’t get otherwise. I think for Sirman, it was the opposite. He’s in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is a casualty of the double cohort As well.

Ottawa also drafted two D-Men in the first round last year and another one in the first round this year. Priority will always be given to first rounders.

As rookies, there really wasn’t a lot of separation between Sirman and Mayich other than their size. Mayich is a little bigger. Going into their D+3 season last year as sophomores because of Covid, Mayich found a spot beside Matier. Sirman was relegated to a lessor role.

I like Sirman. All things being equal, I’d rather have him instead of Ewles and Horner but the other two are Right Shot D-Men. We can use Right Side D. Smyth has a completely different skill set. It’s tough to decide between the two if it were to come down to that.

All I can say is it really feels like Brzustewicz was drafted specifically to trade as a defected player. It makes no sense for them to have drafted another D-Man. If that is the case then Ottawa has a top three followed by a group of D-Men that will slot in without needing to trade any away. The only question is whether they add a top pairing capable guy like Mayer. If they sign Brzustewicz, it is clear they are making an effort at developing the back end. If so, I’d likely put him beside Mayich and let him develop with a steady and consistent D-Man. Mews and Marrelli play together on the first pair and let it roll. Whoever slots in behind them, so be it. Ewles likely takes the 3rd pair role on the right side with one of Sirman or Smyth taking the left side. Horner sticks as a depth D-Man with Dietsch as a rookie in the 8 slot. Traditional wisdom would state the following as a depth chart:

Marrelli - Mews
Mayich - Brzustewicz
Sirman/Smyth - Ewles
Dietsch - Horner

If Brzustewicz is traded as defected:

Mayich - OA Trade (Mayer?)
Marrelli - Mews
Sirman/Smyth - Ewles
Dietsch - Horner

Either way, to me it looks like they trade one of Sirman or Smyth. Dietsch and Horner get spotted in on rotation with Ewles and are injury replacements. It all comes down to Brzustewicz it seems.
i agree with brzustewicz, i think he hasnt signed for a reason, good asset management by ottawa. whitehead is very good from what ive heard, he could very well be a 1st round talent. get the picks back that you spent on the saginaw D (at least some anyways), and pick twice next year.

it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
i agree with brzustewicz, i think he hasnt signed for a reason, good asset management by ottawa. whitehead is very good from what ive heard, he could very well be a 1st round talent. get the picks back that you spent on the saginaw D (at least some anyways), and pick twice next year.

it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

The real question if he does end up defected is whether this was all engineered and the deal was made at the draft. Nothing Ottawa has done to date suggests they have aligned interests with him. Teams typically don’t draft players they don’t have aligned interests with. Ottawa was picking into the low 20’s so they would have had a good handle on all the players, enough they would know exactly if a player like him was aligned with them. Ottawa’s organization is far too strong and deep with scouts to not understand what is happening in the Brzustewicz house.

For Ottawa to be potentially aligned with Mayer AND them not clearing out a D-Man early to make room and make it obvious HB is a priority, is quite telling. Like you suggest, neither Sirman, nor Smyth have value that translates into holding on to them longer would make a significant difference. Unless no one wants them of course. Which I would find odd.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The real question if he does end up defected is whether this was all engineered and the deal was made at the draft. Nothing Ottawa has done to date suggests they have aligned interests with him. Teams typically don’t draft players they don’t have aligned interests with. Ottawa was picking into the low 20’s so they would have had a good handle on all the players, enough they would know exactly if a player like him was aligned with them. Ottawa’s organization is far too strong and deep with scouts to not understand what is happening in the Brzustewicz house.

For Ottawa to be potentially aligned with Mayer AND them not clearing out a D-Man early to make room and make it obvious HB is a priority, is quite telling. Like you suggest, neither Sirman, nor Smyth have value that translates into holding on to them longer would make a significant difference. Unless no one wants them of course. Which I would find odd.
if they are moving him, i have no doubt it was stratigic and by design. they drafted him first and whitehead second, if they flipped it then they could not trade brzustewicz. i want to say it may be part of the saginaw trade, but i dont see saginaw giving up 5 picks for a 16 year old when they are trying to win. i could totlaly see a kitchener trade with someone like rehkopf coming back. rehkop is a two year guy so not a win now move per say.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
if they are moving him, i have no doubt it was stratigic and by design. they drafted him first and whitehead second, if they flipped it then they could not trade brzustewicz. i want to say it may be part of the saginaw trade, but i dont see saginaw giving up 5 picks for a 16 year old when they are trying to win. i could totlaly see a kitchener trade with someone like rehkopf coming back. rehkop is a two year guy so not a win now move per say.

Ottawa does need the centre now regardless of the win now. They definitely need the centre next year if they make a push for next season.

If they trade HB in some sort of package for Rehkopf, then that trade would help the team this year and next. It would give Ottawa an opportunity to challenge for the division and keep momentum going.

When I say Rehkopf, I really mean any impactful 18 year old centre slated to return next season. He’s really just a placeholder name.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I am expecting that we will find out about HB on 28 August. Past history has always been that there is a big announcement just as training camp is to start.

With the fact that there has been no news and that, again, the USHL treated him like he had the plague or was the worst hockey player in the world by not drafting him, I think there was/is something already done.

As to defence I still do not see the need for Mayer at this stage of the season. I think that any trade at this point would be for a 2nd year going into 3rd center. possibly 1-1 or include Smythe.

The challenge with Smythe is that he has not played a full season, and like OMG said about Sirman, he is on a team that has a pretty set Defence.

If we are building the cupboard, then I see them staying with what they have until they see what they have for backup goaltending, Then it is a case of who do they get the better offer for.

We have on paper 3 centers in Gardiner, Uronen and Whitehead. Then we look at Barlas Foster and Dever, and we can start with what we have and see how it works.

Using the players we have in camp allows everyone to make the team. with the possible exception of Smyth

Sirman has, the same value as Belanger did so he may be a deadline deal.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am expecting that we will find out about HB on 28 August. Past history has always been that there is a big announcement just as training camp is to start.

With the fact that there has been no news and that, again, the USHL treated him like he had the plague or was the worst hockey player in the world by not drafting him, I think there was/is something already done.

As to defence I still do not see the need for Mayer at this stage of the season. I think that any trade at this point would be for a 2nd year going into 3rd center. possibly 1-1 or include Smythe.

The challenge with Smythe is that he has not played a full season, and like OMG said about Sirman, he is on a team that has a pretty set Defence.

If we are building the cupboard, then I see them staying with what they have until they see what they have for backup goaltending, Then it is a case of who do they get the better offer for.

We have on paper 3 centers in Gardiner, Uronen and Whitehead. Then we look at Barlas Foster and Dever, and we can start with what we have and see how it works.

Using the players we have in camp allows everyone to make the team. with the possible exception of Smyth

Sirman has, the same value as Belanger did so he may be a deadline deal.
I think you may be looking at it slightly short sighted.

1> The reason to rebuild the draft pick cupboard is to have the trade assets. BUT, if they essentially trade Brzustewicz and an expendable winger for a 2 year first line centre, you don’t need the trade chips. They can trade off some expendable players because the roster is so deep that they can organically add the trade chips. Plus, with a second first rounder next year as part of the compensation for the defected player, they could effectively trade their 2nd rounder next year and it is replaced immediately by the comp pick.

2> If they acquire the first line centre as an 18 year old, all of a sudden it completely changes the outlook of the roster. This isn’t a team with a player like Owen Beck on it that when traded will fetch a sizeable ransom. We are talking about an OA goalie, an NHL unsigned OA winger, and a few expendable pieces on the back end. Those assets will not restock the draft picks.

3> Uronen is a right winger. Effectively, the 67’s have Gardiner and Whitehead at centre entering the season plus a bunch of wingers they can try out as centres. Two of which failed in the past.

So, in light of the fact they could end up with a bonafide first line centre by using mostly the picks obtained in the Brzustewicz deal (and adding another key piece from the depth on the wings), the team could be instantly transported into the contender category. With both Uronen and Keebler signing and committing to Ottawa, they could easily include Kelly in a deal for the needed centre.

They could potentially have two OA spots open if they free up the starters position for MacKenzie by trading Donoso. They could potentially fill the gap on the first D-Man pairing with a kid like Mayer at a short price. They’d still have an OA spot available.

Then look at how wide open the East is this season.

Then look at the 19 year olds next year and ask yourself whether trading a kids like Gardiner and Pinelli next season at the deadline and what kind of return they’d get vs trading Beck and Donoso this year. Big difference. Huge difference. With seemingly so many teams in the East built for next year, imagine what the market would turn out like if Ottawa were to make those guys available?

I’ve always argued for a slight rebuild this season because we needed to restock the pick cabinet. But, I didn’t consider their first rounder defecting. I don’t consider how weak the east was this year vs the following year. I didn’t factor the possibility of Rohrer not returning which is costing Ottawa significant trade value. Now that it “seems” like certain elements are unfolding, I do see a pathway to be able to contend AND restock draft picks next season.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think you may be looking at it slightly short sighted.

1> The reason to rebuild the draft pick cupboard is to have the trade assets. BUT, if they essentially trade Brzustewicz and an expendable winger for a 2 year first line centre, you don’t need the trade chips. They can trade off some expendable players because the roster is so deep that they can organically add the trade chips. Plus, with a second first rounder next year as part of the compensation for the defected player, they could effectively trade their 2nd rounder next year and it is replaced immediately by the comp pick.

2> If they acquire the first line centre as an 18 year old, all of a sudden it completely changes the outlook of the roster. This isn’t a team with a player like Owen Beck on it that when traded will fetch a sizeable ransom. We are talking about an OA goalie, an NHL unsigned OA winger, and a few expendable pieces on the back end. Those assets will not restock the draft picks.

3> Uronen is a right winger. Effectively, the 67’s have Gardiner and Whitehead at centre entering the season plus a bunch of wingers they can try out as centres. Two of which failed in the past.

So, in light of the fact they could end up with a bonafide first line centre by using mostly the picks obtained in the Brzustewicz deal (and adding another key piece from the depth on the wings), the team could be instantly transported into the contender category. With both Uronen and Keebler signing and committing to Ottawa, they could easily include Kelly in a deal for the needed centre.

They could potentially have two OA spots open if they free up the starters position for MacKenzie by trading Donoso. They could potentially fill the gap on the first D-Man pairing with a kid like Mayer at a short price. They’d still have an OA spot available.

Then look at how wide open the East is this season.

Then look at the 19 year olds next year and ask yourself whether trading a kids like Gardiner and Pinelli next season at the deadline and what kind of return they’d get vs trading Beck and Donoso this year. Big difference. Huge difference. With seemingly so many teams in the East built for next year, imagine what the market would turn out like if Ottawa were to make those guys available?

I’ve always argued for a slight rebuild this season because we needed to restock the pick cabinet. But, I didn’t consider their first rounder defecting. I don’t consider how weak the east was this year vs the following year. I didn’t factor the possibility of Rohrer not returning which is costing Ottawa significant trade value. Now that it “seems” like certain elements are unfolding, I do see a pathway to be able to contend AND restock draft picks next season.
The catch that I am looking at is how good would this team be. To go for it so that you can be the top team in the East is not a factor to me.

I do not see Saginaw as the top team in the west, as a lot of people have stated Londo is going to have a good team.

If that is the case, then there is no guarantee that Ottawa gets the M Cup ticket.

it is funny last year I was talking about having eh ability to go for it this year and you were telling me that I was not looking at things properly and the only thing for this team to do was the same as Hamilton and do a restocking.

Now that I have seen " the light" you are telling me that I am wrong now but was right during last season.

The bottom line is that this is a team that can with what it has be a competitive team this year. We have some assets that will give us a return great return only time will tell.

The brain trust of Boyd, Cameron and Egar have a lot to think about. They also have to look at what they have at camp.

HB, we have heard nothing from is he reporting, or is he not? Is there a dance partner that will give us a reasonable return or not?

BIGGER QUESTION HB
If he s not coming here is there a team that will meet his family's demands and guarantees? If he wants to play in Kitchener with big brother, then they have to have a guarantee that big brother is not going to be traded.

If he is not coming then that really does not change anything for this team they still have a great defence. Next year if they can find a young center or relocate a player to center to fill in then they will have in interesting team next year and personally, I think a better team next year than this year. will have

elite prospects show him Position W/C

Remember Rohrer was not a natural center either.

AGAIN
The brain trust of Boyd, Cameron and Egar have a lot to think about. They also have to look at what they have at camp.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
BIGGER QUESTION HB
If he s not coming here is there a team that will meet his family's demands and guarantees? If he wants to play in Kitchener with big brother, then they have to have a guarantee that big brother is not going to be traded.
I figure that if Kitchener is the destination team for Henry B, then the family will have already accepted that the brothers would play together up til the deadline and then Hunter gets traded, likely home to Saginaw.

In the grand scheme of things, it’s only half a season apart for them and that shouldn’t be a deal killer - especially if Saginaw is the team Hunter goes to.

If the family refuses to accept that Hunter gets traded, then I feel the Rangers would have to reevaluate trading for Henry. Rangers cupboard is virtually empty and needs refilling. Trading for Henry would completely empty the cupboard and if there’s no Hunter trade to replenish picks (he’s our only graduating ‘04 with significant trade value), then that would be a major set back going forward.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I figure that if Kitchener is the destination team for Henry B, then the family will have already accepted that the brothers would play together up til the deadline and then Hunter gets traded, likely home to Saginaw.

In the grand scheme of things, it’s only half a season apart for them and that shouldn’t be a deal killer - especially if Saginaw is the team Hunter goes to.

If the family refuses to accept that Hunter gets traded, then I feel the Rangers would have to reevaluate trading for Henry. Rangers cupboard is virtually empty and needs refilling. Trading for Henry would completely empty the cupboard and if there’s no Hunter trade to replenish picks (he’s our only graduating ‘04 with significant trade value), then that would be a major set back going forward.

I think the more logical option is Henry being traded to Saginaw and then later Hunter following him at the deadline. The angle regarding some Mintyukov picks coming back to Ottawa for Henry makes more sense. That opens the door for Saginaw trading Aiden Young at the deadline and still maintaining a first round pick in Henry Brzustewicz. The cost of acquiring Henry (probably two 2nds, a 3rd and 4th) is less than the impact of the return they get for their own first rounder at the deadline.

To me, that sort of multilayered strategy makes more sense than Kitchener trading picks they don’t have for Henry so they can play together for two months (Assuming Hunter is on Team Canada’s radar).

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think the more logical option is Henry being traded to Saginaw and then later Hunter following him at the deadline. The angle regarding some Mintyukov picks coming back to Ottawa for Henry makes more sense. That opens the door for Saginaw trading Aiden Young at the deadline and still maintaining a first round pick in Henry Brzustewicz. The cost of acquiring Henry (probably two 2nds, a 3rd and 4th) is less than the impact of the return they get for their own first rounder at the deadline.

To me, that sort of multilayered strategy makes more sense than Kitchener trading picks they don’t have for Henry so they can play together for two months (Assuming Hunter is on Team Canada’s radar).
Definitely a possibility My only question is why they have not done it yet. Also, going to Saginaw would be a signal to retool this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad