Ottawa 67's 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The catch that I am looking at is how good would this team be. To go for it so that you can be the top team in the East is not a factor to me.

I do not see Saginaw as the top team in the west, as a lot of people have stated Londo is going to have a good team.

If that is the case, then there is no guarantee that Ottawa gets the M Cup ticket.

it is funny last year I was talking about having eh ability to go for it this year and you were telling me that I was not looking at things properly and the only thing for this team to do was the same as Hamilton and do a restocking.

Now that I have seen " the light" you are telling me that I am wrong now but was right during last season.

The bottom line is that this is a team that can with what it has be a competitive team this year. We have some assets that will give us a return great return only time will tell.

The brain trust of Boyd, Cameron and Egar have a lot to think about. They also have to look at what they have at camp.

HB, we have heard nothing from is he reporting, or is he not? Is there a dance partner that will give us a reasonable return or not?

BIGGER QUESTION HB
If he s not coming here is there a team that will meet his family's demands and guarantees? If he wants to play in Kitchener with big brother, then they have to have a guarantee that big brother is not going to be traded.

If he is not coming then that really does not change anything for this team they still have a great defence. Next year if they can find a young center or relocate a player to center to fill in then they will have in interesting team next year and personally, I think a better team next year than this year. will have

elite prospects show him Position W/C

Remember Rohrer was not a natural center either.

AGAIN
The brain trust of Boyd, Cameron and Egar have a lot to think about. They also have to look at what they have at camp.

In a normal season, what Ottawa is returning this year wouldn’t put them in contention. Hell, with the additions of what I am proposing for Ottawa this year, they get swept in a series against last year’s team. I didn’t foresee two things. First, that Ottawa would potentially draft a defected player and use that player to acquire an 18 year old centre. Second, I never considered how ridiculously weak the competition actually is. Too many teams in rebuild mode this season. The double cohort coming out of Covid is now showing its colours and it doesn’t look good.

There is ZERO doubt that next years team would be better. BUT. I did not consider the volume of teams on the exact same competitive cycle. It is not often I miss something like that but I did.

I have warmed up to the idea of leveraging Brzustewicz to acquire an 18 year old centre (good for this year and next). Maybe compete both years and then sell off Mews and Marrelli the following season. Or, acquire an OA centre this year and sell off Gardiner and Pinelli next season and recoup more assets than they gave up this past season acquiring Mintyukov and Morrison.

I can see an argument for any of these strategies.

I will say this. If they sign Brzustewicz, there is no reason to try to be a contender this year. Follow through with the strategic sell off and maintain a decent middle of the pack team. But, if they trade Brzustewicz as defected? I think that makes it much different and opens the door to acquire a couple OAs and be competitive of shift more assets toward an 18 year old first line centre and open the door to new opportunities.

I am capable of changing my mind when faced with new options. We now have potential new options that change the dynamics of the situation Ottawa is in. It wouLD be irresponsible for us to not at least consider the possibilities.

Definitely a possibility My only question is why they have not done it yet. Also, going to Saginaw would be a signal to retool this year.

The defection window hasn’t opened yet. He first needs to refuse to come to camp and report. Then Ottawa has a short window to declare him defected and then another short window to trade his rights.

Hunter going to Saginaw makes more sense for Kitchener as a deadline deal. Bank points and sell when Hunter is at his highest value which is at the deadline.

Reactions: EvenSteven

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The CHL Import draft page has Uronen as a winger. The 67’s press release has him as a winger. HE may very well be versatile but neither of us can say one way or the other until he is here.

Remember that Rohrer was miscast as a centre. His own production was well below his preseason expectations. If we looked strictly at production, we’d have to grade him as not meeting expectations. I think we really need to look at it that way. Do we potentially want Uronen as a 20 goal and 50 point centre or a 35 goal and 80 point winger? I truly believe that split matches the sacrifice made by Rohrer playing centre last season vs on the wing. It benefitted the team to a certain degree but it certainly didn’t benefit the player. Now the player is in Switzerland a year early. I wonder why?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think the more logical option is Henry being traded to Saginaw and then later Hunter following him at the deadline. The angle regarding some Mintyukov picks coming back to Ottawa for Henry makes more sense. That opens the door for Saginaw trading Aiden Young at the deadline and still maintaining a first round pick in Henry Brzustewicz. The cost of acquiring Henry (probably two 2nds, a 3rd and 4th) is less than the impact of the return they get for their own first rounder at the deadline.

To me, that sort of multilayered strategy makes more sense than Kitchener trading picks they don’t have for Henry so they can play together for two months (Assuming Hunter is on Team Canada’s radar).
That makes sense maybe for an all in team, but not for a hosting team.

I don’t see Saginaw burning high picks on a 16 year old in a hosting year. They only have 6 x 2nds. To use a third of them on a player who won’t factor into this year’s run doesn’t make sense.

I would think that all high picks in their cupboard, 6 x 2nds and 5 x 3rds, along with Young, would be in play this year. It’s a go big or go home year for them. Everything that won’t factor into this years team will likely be moved.

Based on the prices at last year’s trade deadline, those 11 picks along with Young surely brings them two high end 19 year olds and a high end 18 year old in an Owen Beck type deal.

Unless they deal for Henry in September, then flip him at the deadline. But what are the odds of that happening?

Reactions: frontsfan67

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
I see the QMJHL has already started pre-season games
QMJHL always starts earlier vs. the OHL and WHL. I believe they have some more strict rules regarding having rosters set so players can start school on time instead of having to potentially relocate a weeks into the school year.

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
~Sept 1th to 15th
Looks like it’s the date training camps open based on some previous trade dates of defective player trades:

Sam Dickinson (Aug. 31)
Will Cuylle (Aug. 31)
Logan Brown (Aug. 26)
Adam Bateman (Aug. 31)
Max Domi (Aug. 30)
Nick Ebert (Aug. 30)
Kerby Rychel (Aug. 30)

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It is really looking more and more like he will not sign. That said, the 67’s could simply be looking for places to send out a couple guys to make room for him. I think they’d have done that buy now but Sawyer and Gill-Shane weren’t moved until the Eve of last year’s regular season (Sept 29 and 30). So, it may take a little time to find landing spots. We will likely know within the next two weeks what happens.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It is really looking more and more like he will not sign. That said, the 67’s could simply be looking for places to send out a couple guys to make room for him. I think they’d have done that buy now but Sawyer and Gill-Shane weren’t moved until the Eve of last year’s regular season (Sept 29 and 30). So, it may take a little time to find landing spots. We will likely know within the next two weeks what happens.
I agree there is a lot we do not know going into camp.

1. What is going to happen with our goaltenders?
2. What is the status of HB?
3. What will the D look like?
4. What is the plan for centers?

The only one I see getting answered during camp is HB. I am sure that he is either going to report or that Boyd already has a deal in place.

Goaltenders are going to depend on what we have shown up at camp as the number 3 G and what other teas want.

Our D is going to depend on whether HB reports and stays and also on how good Deitsch is. Then it will be a case of who wants who.

Centers are going to be a wait-and-see unless someone comes into camp and blows people away or a trade can be made for an OA center using our D as the trade pieces.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree there is a lot we do not know going into camp.

1. What is going to happen with our goaltenders?
2. What is the status of HB?
3. What will the D look like?
4. What is the plan for centers?

The only one I see getting answered during camp is HB. I am sure that he is either going to report or that Boyd already has a deal in place.

Goaltenders are going to depend on what we have shown up at camp as the number 3 G and what other teas want.

Our D is going to depend on whether HB reports and stays and also on how good Deitsch is. Then it will be a case of who wants who.

Centers are going to be a wait-and-see unless someone comes into camp and blows people away or a trade can be made for an OA center using our D as the trade pieces.

I think the main component is the goal for the season. That goal will drive the plan. We don’t know the plan because we aren’t clear on the goal. Are we going to give this years team a chance to compete or are we going to make moves based on emphasizing next year? I think we all agree making an honest run this year and next year is not possible.

We’ve discussed the two opposing goals for this season and no one can definitively suggest one over the other. I’m usually pretty good at sensing the outcomes for Ottawa but this year? Nope. I would not bet money on either option and suggest I am right. I can postulate on what I think could happen but it is pure speculation. I can’t remember the last year I felt that way going into a season.

So, I would frame what you are saying slightly differently and simply make it a numbered list with only ONE number. Are we trying to compete at the top of the conference this year? Answer that and all the other pieces fall into place pretty quickly.

I don’t think keeping both goalies is a solution either way. hB is unsigned so I assume he will be declared defected. The question is more whether this is a move for Ottawa to regain picks in a deal or whether they messed up and he is going NCAA. The look of the defence will follow the planned goal for the season. They will bring in a centre. The plan for the season will dictate the calibre of the player they bring in, unless they can score an 18 year old that works for this year and next.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
The fact the HB was taken in the first round over another signed American whitehead (2nd round) leads me to believe there's a very good chance his rights are traded (because they can be, if not signed). Smart strategy imo.

Reactions: OMG67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think the main component is the goal for the season. That goal will drive the plan. We don’t know the plan because we aren’t clear on the goal. Are we going to give this years team a chance to compete or are we going to make moves based on emphasizing next year? I think we all agree making an honest run this year and next year is not possible.

We’ve discussed the two opposing goals for this season and no one can definitively suggest one over the other. I’m usually pretty good at sensing the outcomes for Ottawa but this year? Nope. I would not bet money on either option and suggest I am right. I can postulate on what I think could happen but it is pure speculation. I can’t remember the last year I felt that way going into a season.

So, I would frame what you are saying slightly differently and simply make it a numbered list with only ONE number. Are we trying to compete at the top of the conference this year? Answer that and all the other pieces fall into place pretty quickly.

I don’t think keeping both goalies is a solution either way. hB is unsigned so I assume he will be declared defected. The question is more whether this is a move for Ottawa to regain picks in a deal or whether they messed up and he is going NCAA. The look of the defence will follow the planned goal for the season. They will bring in a centre. The plan for the season will dictate the calibre of the player they bring in, unless they can score an 18 year old that works for this year and next.
I agree with what you are saying it is going to be an interesting part of the direction may come from the players themselves. If we get some surprises like Barlas or foster playing capable centers, that might make a difference.

As to HB and NCAA I think that is a definite NO. If he was looking to go that route he would have been drafted by someone in the USHL.

When will the training camp roster be announced for the 67's?
Next Wednesday they never release it until everyone has shown or not shown

Reactions: Gondrex

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree with what you are saying it is going to be an interesting part of the direction may come from the players themselves. If we get some surprises like Barlas or foster playing capable centers, that might make a difference.

As to HB and NCAA I think that is a definite NO. If he was looking to go that route he would have been drafted by someone in the USHL.

Next Wednesday they never release it until everyone has shown or not shown

I think you are right regarding HB. It is highly unlikely he goes NCAA route. It is much more likely a deal is already completed for a trade.

It would be great if the comp pick next year ends up being a player as strong as Marrelli.

I have zero idea what to expect but I am not confident they have viable internal options at centre. They may be able to make do in the short term but I would be surprised if anyone steps up and outperforms their current ceiling. Stranger things have happened though.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think you are right regarding HB. It is highly unlikely he goes NCAA route. It is much more likely a deal is already completed for a trade.

It would be great if the comp pick next year ends up being a player as strong as Marrelli.

I have zero idea what to expect but I am not confident they have viable internal options at centre. They may be able to make do in the short term but I would be surprised if anyone steps up and outperforms their current ceiling. Stranger things have happened though.
I have no idea if there’s a deal pending or not that sees HB to the Rangers, but for the record, tradable picks that Kitchener has available are 1 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd, and 2 x 4ths. Lower picks won’t matter for any deal of this type.

With their deep draft pick cupboard, don’t rule out Saginaw. Sure they’ll be all in this year, but with them likely making Aiden Young available for trade, it makes sense to have a ‘23 1st rounder on the roster if the price is right - especially if the brother is ticketed to be dealt to Saginaw this season.

You never know.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I have no idea if there’s a deal pending or not that sees HB to the Rangers, but for the record, tradable picks that Kitchener has available are 1 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd, and 2 x 4ths. Lower picks won’t matter for any deal of this type.

With their deep draft pick cupboard, don’t rule out Saginaw. Sure they’ll be all in this year, but with them likely making Aiden Young available for trade, it makes sense to have a ‘23 1st rounder on the roster if the price is right - especially if the brother is ticketed to be dealt to Saginaw this season.

You never know.
Young could opt to nix any trade to play in the memorial cup and play a couple of seasons with Misa.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

You never know.
if it happens, itll be like the bracco trade, hb for picks, picks for rehkof. kitchener probably nets a few pics overall.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
if it happens, itll be like the bracco trade, hb for picks, picks for rehkof. kitchener probably nets a few pics overall.

I really think that option (as has been discussed) is the perfect situation for both teams. A deal like that positions Ottawa favourably this year and next year. They’d be in tough to add players at each deadline but they’d be competitive. And, if next year there are a handful of super teams in the Wast, Ottawa could trade a few players including Rehkopf and refill their picks cabinet with ease.

I could see Ottawa moving a player like Kelly in the deal for Rehkopf which gives Kelly an honest opportunity and Kitchener a viable winger. Ottawa can afford that and helps them keep some picks available for the deadline this year.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I could see Ottawa moving a player like Kelly in the deal for Rehkopf which gives Kelly an honest opportunity and Kitchener a viable winger. Ottawa can afford that and helps them keep some picks available for the deadline this year.
Well regarding Kelly, in my own opinion the Rangers are in need of RW’s, and they had 1st and 2nd round no-shows from the 2022 draft (that would be the ‘06’s). So maybe stranger things have happened. Mind you Kitchener did acquire 2022 2nd rounder Ellinas last week.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well regarding Kelly, in my own opinion the Rangers are in need of RW’s, and they had 1st and 2nd round no-shows from the 2022 draft (that would be the ‘06’s). So maybe stranger things have happened. Mind you Kitchener did acquire 2022 2nd rounder Ellinas last week.

You’d love Kelly. He had limited ice as a 16 year old rookie on a deep Ottawa team last season but he is a gamer for sure. Great shot and not afraid to go inot the dirty areas. He took some undisciplined penalties but they were tough penalties so he needs to learn how to reign in his agressiveness a bit.

I don’t want to lose him because most of us feel he is poised to make a big jump this year but the depth on the wings in Ottawa is still here and he may have trouble getting ice again this season.

Ottawa really needs the centreman. Rehkopf more than fits the needs requirement for Ottawa. I’d be very happy to trade Brzustewicz and Kelly plus maybe a pick or two for Rehkopf…. Over two trades of course. Kitchener would meake out very well in that deal too, provided Kelly lives up to expectations this season.

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
I'm looking at driving up for the Sept. 9th game vs. NB, but nothing on the site regarding tickets.
Is the box office the only place to get pre-season tix?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'm looking at driving up for the Sept. 9th game vs. NB, but nothing on the site regarding tickets.
Is the box office the only place to get pre-season tix?

Usually general admission tickets from box office. I’m surprised they have a game scheduled at TD Place. They usually only play in places like Cornwall and Smiths Falls…

Reactions: Roadhog

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think it would be a mistake for Kitchener to go that route. 1.5 years of Rehkopf, should bring Owen Beck calibre return. No, they aren’t the same player. But, until it’s proven different, Rehkopf projects to be high end enough to allow the Rangers to demand Beck return.

There’s a lot of time between now and the deadline. I don’t see MM “agreeing” to, and therefore being married to a two way deal, where HR is the primary, without seeing what Rehkopf is in January. If he’s on his way to 40+ goals, as an 18 year old, this suggested two parter is a loser from a Ranger perspective, especially
when you consider that HR, though a 1st rounder, was the 22nd pick overall, essentially a 2nd rounder if not for comp picks.

There will possibly be other options from other top contenders as the season progresses. Possibly options where a higher end 16 year old 1st may be made available.

If I’m the Rangers, any deal for HB would be a stand alone deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad