Confirmed Trade: [OTT/BOS] Linus Ullmark for Mark Kastelic, Joonas Korpisalo (25% retained), 2024 BOS 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I agree that Korpisalo can't be as bad as he was last year and with Swayman Boston has less reason to worry. Korpisalo can probably manage some games and take the load off Swayman.

As Ottawa's #1 option he was dreadfully bad. Did we play great defense? No. But Korpisalo was a f***ing anchor. Outside shots, soft shots going in. Our goalies played better under DJ Smith systems where we gave up more shots and more chances on most nights. We got better defensively in 2023-2024 compared to previous seasons and our goaltending took 10 steps back.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
3 million for a backup who once was a vezina type himself ain't bad at all. That 1st is sweet and kastelic is somewhat useful.
Korpisalo has never been a vezina caliber goalie ever. If he plays well as a back up for you guys that's great. He was God awful in Ottawa and could not come back and play.

Also Korpisalo is trash he could be a serviceable backup but I think he's garbage so.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Hardly earth shattering return and from Ottawa’s perspective, a lot of nothing. But I’ll still laugh my ass off when Ullmark bolts the first chance he gets and they have nothing to show for it like with Debrincat.

Reactions: Morrison

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I don't understand this from Boston's perspective at all.

Think Boston needed to get this Ullmark situation resolved, maybe they took the best offer they had remaining after NJ filled their need.

If Korpisalo becomes a good backup/1B guy to Swayman it could be a big W for them; Maintain their goaltending strength at a cheaper price while adding a 1st but its risky & not great value-wise in the moment.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Such a funny looking trade, with Boston's 1st round pick on the wrong side of the ledger. Like...wait a second...what?

Anyway. Sens have to be happy they were able to dump 75% of Korpisalo's contract...but they're still going to have a stupid expensive goaltending situation going forward and that retention just adds to it.

Also calling it now...Korpisalo probably posts better numbers next year behind Boston's insulating defensive system than Ullmark going to that Senators "goalie graveyard".

But the Sens definitely seemed to feel major pressure to do something on the goaltending front. This isn't a terrible price to give up, all things considered. Basically just giving Boston's late first back to them along with a bounceback candidate goalie at a somewhat more palatable cap number. Don't really view Kastelic as anything special, but he'll also probably flourish in Boston as cheap depth, just because.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Will Ullmark even re-sign in Ottawa?
Why not. Only 32 starting spots available in the NHL. Hard to time hitting the open market and there being many suitors for you. If there are 4/5 teams looking, how many of them are bad clubs vs good clubs?

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Hardly earth shattering return and from Ottawa’s perspective, a lot of nothing. But I’ll still laugh my ass off when Ullmark bolts at free agency and they have nothing to show for it like with Debrincat.
The cost of shedding Korpisalo and only retaining 25% was a late 1st.

The cost of renting Ullmark was Kastelic.

Even if he walks next summer the deal is a win for Ottawa. It can’t become as bad as the Debrincat deal unless they’re forced to take Korpisalo back somehow.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Going to be 31 going from Boston to Ottawa, something tells me regression is coming. Ottawa did very well in the trade tho, moved on from a contract they didn't want and didn't give up much.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Hardly earth shattering return and from Ottawa’s perspective, a lot of nothing. But I’ll still laugh my ass off when Ullmark bolts at free agency and they have nothing to show for it like with Debrincat.
I think they'll get the extension done. If Ullmark wants to stay as close to the east as possible, there's a fairly limited number of potential openings.

But I said it before, the extension was kind of the yucky part of the Ullmark deal. He'll get something absolutely reasonable, but not something I want to give.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Why not. Only 32 starting spots available in the NHL. Hard to time hitting the open market and there being many suitors for you. If there are 4/5 teams looking, how many of them are bad clubs vs good clubs?
He most likely has better options than Ottawa. Players don´t exactly want to stay there.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Essentially a deadline type deal for the sens and they get a full season with ullmark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad