Confirmed Trade: [OTT/BOS] Linus Ullmark for Mark Kastelic, Joonas Korpisalo (25% retained), 2024 BOS 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Peter Chiarelli must be Don Sweeney's trade advisor.
The only trade that I think is worse than this is the Rick Nash trade, and worse than that is the Tyler Seguin trade.
Dont blame Chiarelli for the Sequin trade, there was a camera crew with the Boston Braintrust making that trade, everyone there agreed to it, including Neely.

Reactions: Morrison

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I checked it up because I was certain you were wrong. Turns out you're correct. That's crazy, I had a totally different read on it watching the teams play, but numbers don't lie.

Ottawa was not strong defensively, but their weakness in that area is definitely overstated. It wasn’t close to good enough to win a cup or even a series, but it was good enough to compete for a wild card.

Both our goalies were absolutely atrocious though. And it was their fault. Not the defense’s.

At least Forsberg had the excuse of coming back from double knee surgery. He may be done for good.

But Korpisalo had no excuse and was just terrible. Worse than Matt Murray in Ottawa terrible.

I’m flabbergasted that someone took that contract even with retention. It should have cost us a 1st + just to get rid of it.

I have no idea how Ullmark will do here or whether he’ll sign, but getting out from under Korpisalo is a win.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Korpisalo will be good for Boston. He impressed me way more in his career before playing on Ottawa. That team can’t defend. The bruins can.
Some teams are better with goalies than others. I'd trust Ian Clark in Van to work with a goalie over other clubs.

As for Contract, goalie contracts, there's like 8 goalies currently scheduled to count $6 mill or more against the cap next season:

$10.5 Price - LTIR permanently
$10 Bob
$9.5 Vasi
$8.5 Helly
$8.25 Sorokin
$6.4 Gibson
$6 Markstrom
$6 Binnington

So, are either of Ullmark/Swayman ready to push into the Helly/Sorokin range?

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
Oh you know exactly how it will happen. Goalies are gonna goalie which means Korpisalo is gonna suddenly put up Ullmark like numbys in Boston.

Korpisalo was a deep fried turd sandwich last year but he’s athletically talented and has put up some streaks of great play at points in his past. Don’t laugh at the thought of him suddenly looking much better starting 30-35 games behind that B’s defense.

That’s exactly how I see it happening. I also think they’ll get something out of Kastelic. I still think it feels low compared to what I expected they would get. Solid trade by the Sens, should add more parity to the Atlantic (last thing I wanted).

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Some teams are better with goalies than others. I'd trust Ian Clark in Van to work with a goalie over other clubs.

As for Contract, goalie contracts, there's like 8 goalies currently scheduled to count $6 mill or more against the cap next season:

$10.5 Price - LTIR permanently
$10 Bob
$9.5 Vasi
$8.5 Helly
$8.25 Sorokin
$6.4 Gibson
$6 Markstrom
$6 Binnington

So, are either of Ullmark/Swayman ready to push into the Helly/Sorokin range?

Probably Swayman. Probably not Ullmark. So Swayman as 1G for Boston playing 55 games and Korpisalo as backup should be fine.

Reactions: The don godfather

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Well that's an... interesting return for Ullmark. Seems like they could've gotten a better skater than Kastelic. The other 2 pieces make sense.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
eddie-murphy-why-vtjikzzvr5y4717e.gif

Reactions: Morrison

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
So a late first round pick to take a really bad countract…..and a fourth line/ ahl player for one of the best goalie….horrible for Boston.Great for Ottawa

Reactions: SensFactor

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Unless Boston has identified a player or two they REALLY like and figure will be there at 25 this seems like a poor trade.

With that said, Boston hasn’t had a bad goalie in like 15 years so maybe they turn Korpisalo into his old self

Reactions: The don godfather

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
wouldnt at all shock me if korpi says in boston and puts up better sv% than ullmark does in ottawa.
Apparently he’ll have glasses and a helmet -that fits- in Boston, so that will help? Ottawa’s previous management team viewed those details as frivolous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad