Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Another overrated Coyote traded.

Wonder who’s going to be the most disappointed at the end of this:

Colorado with Kuemper
Montreal with Dvorak
Ottawa with Chychrun
Vancouver with OEL

Has a hyped up Coyote ever played better on another team? Their stats look better in Arizona because they get every single opportunity. On a good team, that doesn’t happen.

Chychrun would be the Leaf's #1 defenseman tho lol

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Dorion got himself a big fish

Attachments

• 7BED5F8B-8866-4251-AC9E-0EF08E198F59.jpeg
    7BED5F8B-8866-4251-AC9E-0EF08E198F59.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: h2owned

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Colorado with Kuemper
Montreal with Dvorak
Ottawa with Chychrun
Vancouver with OEL

Has a hyped up Coyote ever played better on another team? Their stats look better in Arizona because they get every single opportunity. On a good team, that doesn’t happen.
It was pretty well established that OEL was on the decline when he got moved. How was Kuemper a dissapointment?

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Arizona got lucky to get Chychrun at #16 and now they get a draft pick where they will be lucky to replace him

Why did they feel the need to make this move is beyond me, are they too cheap to pay a salary

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Arizona got lucky to get Chychrun at #16 and now they get a draft pick where they will be lucky to replace him

Why did they feel the need to make this move is beyond me, are they too cheap to pay a salary

7m real money on his contract the last year

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

Arizona doesn’t like talent. That’s why they accept the cast offs from other teams. If they get Bedard this summer, my condolences to the Bedard family in advance.

What a great addition to the core.

DeBrincat 25 y.o.
Batherson 24 y.o.
Norris 23 y.o.
Tkachuk 23 y.o.
Stutzle 21 y.o.

Chabot 26 y.o.
Chychrun 24 y.o.
Sanderson 20 y.o.

The next few years are going to be fun for us sens fans.
They just now need a goalie, I’d trade for Demko.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
While envious that the Sens would make this deal, I also feel for Arizona fans who've had to wait over a year for... this.

It's flat out laughable that all they got was picks that could turn out to be nothings. for all the talk about armstrong wanting picks and top propects, and the Kings were offering both that would help his team both now and in the future , he ened up with 1 st and a couple of 2nds. :laugh:

Reactions: cobra427

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Overplayed their hand. No doubt in my mind LA and EDM were offering more than this yesterday.

But they took no money back so they got what they really wanted I guess.
Still superweird, though Chuchryns caphit is low, so Oilers (and LA) could easily just ship out a player attached with a pick to clear cap for a AHLer.
Super weird. Some GMs are probably out of ideas.

But they coyldnt touch Ottawas picks

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Well you certainly are in the minority with that view. But then again you are a Habs fan.
Another Sens fan got me to seeing it differently.

Isn't it kind of normal that different fans have different views ?

It’s not a complicated concept that it’s a good trade for Ottawa. He is 24 fills a large hole and the team is on the upswing. Your trolling comment that they won’t be a contender in 2 years time in which you really don’t know shows your motive. If Ottawas core isn’t contending in 2 years how long for your habs? A decade?
If your only way of countering my opinion is whataboutism about my team, that doesn't do much to convince me.
Thankfully some other Ottawa fans are able to use facts and reason to get a reasonable point across, like functional adults. Those are the people who make HF worthwhile.

Reactions: byrath

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
There’s always the chance Ottawa misses the playoffs, wins the lottery, and Bedard takes them to the conference finals for two unprotected picks.
How would Bedard take them to the 2023 Conference Finals when he gets drafted after they occur?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

I think yes, they are too cheap.... they sign players off their ELCs to reasonable deals (before they have accomplished much), deals that lead them to being UFAs fairly young, so they are trading 25 year olds with a couple of years of contract at a reasonable cost.

Those players would likely not have re-signed with an organization that seems comfortable losing regularly.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

They're a franchise without a plan.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
One more important factor in this whole issue is the Debrincat re-signing problem. Missing the playoffs in Debrincat's first season and hoping to keep him is dangerous. Sure, Ottawa could likely get something for him in the offseason or deadline if they qualify him, but it is much more desirable to re-sign him this offseason. Acquiring Chychrun, even if they miss the playoffs, sends a solid message about Ottawa's intentions and might grease the wheels of a re-signing.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Wow that’s even worse for them. I misread the conditions tweet, how the hell do they trigger the 2025 first then?
Basically it's if the Sens make the ECF this year, the 2024 2nd round pick is upgraded to a 1st round pick. If the Sens then somehow miss the playoffs next year after making the ECF this year, and that 1st round pick is top 10, they now get a 2025 first instead. It's incredibly unlikely it would happen.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Wow that’s even worse for them. I misread the conditions tweet, how the hell do they trigger the 2025 first then?
What 2025 1st? (edit: nevermind added it) It is 2023 1st which becomes a 2024 1st if the Sens pick top 5. If the 2023 Sens make the conference finals, the 2023 1st would obviously be much lower than hoped so, Ottawa has agreed to then turn the 2024 2nd into a 2024 1st in such an occasion. Scenarios ranked for those who can't follow the conditions. Best cases for Arizona/Worst for Ottawa:
(Edited)
The Sens lose badly in both 2023 and 2024 but they win the lottery twice. Arizona would get a high 2024 1st, an early 2024 2nd, and the 2026 2nd.
Second best scenario for Arizona would Ottawa making the Conference Finals this year. They would get a late 2023 1st, a 2024 1st (Top -10 protected) and a 2026 2nd
Third best scenario for Arizona would Ottawa making the Conference Finals this year AND Ottawa getting a top-10 pick in 2024. They would get a late 2023 1st, a 2025 1st, and a 2026 2nd
Fourth best scenario would be a complete collapse in 2023 for Ottawa but they don't win the lottery. The best Arizona can do in this situation is get 6th overall in 2023, and the two 2nds.
The most likely scenario is Ottawa sending the 13th-17th overall pick to Arizona in 2023 and the two 2nds.
Worst case for Arizona would be Ottawa losing in the second round of 2023 and doing well in 2024/2026. Then Arizona getting a bottom-half pick in 2023 and two late 2nds.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Colorado with Kuemper
Montreal with Dvorak
Ottawa with Chychrun
Vancouver with OEL

Well... OEL was on the decline, and Kuemper didn't seem to disappoint...

Chychrun, I guess we'll see. I still find a top-15 pick (most likely) to be a steep price.
Dvorak hasn't disappointed... but hasn't wowed, either. He's a quietly efficient 3d line center who can play spot 2nd line duty, but if he's a 2nd line regular, you're in deep trouble overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad