Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
Zero idea how/why Arizona gave him up for so little. Insane! This makes the Arizona GM look like a huge jerk.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
And there was no one out there that could top that offer???

Come on..... Good for Ottawa, but still.....
Ottawa's offer had things most interested teams could not match.

It has a 1st round pick that has a more than remote chance of being in the 6-10 range
Its almost certainly in the 6-16 range.
It did not require Arizona to retain or take on any salary costs (bad contracts)

Edm/Leafs etc could not make this deal has they did not have that quality of 1st rounder and Arizona would have needed to take on salary to equalize.

Not many teams sitting that far outside the playoff cut-off are willing to move their pick with only top 5 protection

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Zero idea how/why Arizona gave him up for so little. Insane! This makes the Arizona GM look like a huge jerk.

Not wanting to take back a contract was likely a huge factor. I wonder if this was owner driven?

I also wonder if they got better offers at other times but the latest dominos screwed them over and they were left talking to only a few teams? Keeping him past this deadline was risky cause then it's one less playoffs.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Exact same reason as to why we got Debrincat....We were the only team willing to give up a high 1st for the player...Our rebuild was short two things another high end winger and a defender...Now we have both

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
He waited too long and overplayed his hand. Other GMs were done with it and didn't want to be the odd man out, so they made other moves and shifted to plan Bs and Cs. Big blunder by Armstrong.
Yup, and their offers were probably better. BA had to circle back to Ottawa after other teams moved on. Ottawa knew they had leverage and it showed.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Arizona are dead broke. That's why this offer was enough. Not taking money back was the most important factor. They should just move this team at this point. They can't compete.

Reactions: Fairview

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Curious for Sens fans.

Now you have Chychrun, Chabot, and Sanderson on LD and only Zub on left. Which of the three aforementioned LD do you see moving to the right side?

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Yup, and their offers were probably better. BA had to circle back to Ottawa after other teams moved on. Ottawa knew they had leverage and it showed.

A classic case of always doubling down when the best move is to quite while you're ahead. Still wanted that extra 1st round pick only to bleed assets in the end.

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
Not wanting to take back a contract was likely a huge factor. I wonder if this was owner driven?

I also wonder if they got better offers at other times but the latest dominos screwed them over and they were left talking to only a few teams? Keeping him past this deadline was risky cause then it's one less playoffs.
Yeah, maybe Boston and Toronto did not want to pony up, so they sent him to another up and coming team in the division for revenge?

Chyrun is a young, cheap Dmen with years remaining on his contract. Absolute steal for Ottawa.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, maybe Boston and Toronto did not want to pony up, so they sent him to another up and coming team in the division for revenge?

Chyrun is a young, cheap Dmen with years remaining on his contract. Absolute steal for Ottawa.

Good move for the Sens as long as they can retain him after that term is over. If he walks cause he is asking for too much, you might not like it then. For now, I do agree, good move for the Sens. They do need to improve the D and goaltending. Chychrun is a good all around D man and he plays physical. I like the move and he fits for what the Sens need.

Is Norris out for season? No chance he plays playoffs if the Sens sneak in? Norris going down as a big hit early in the season.

Reactions: Tripledeke333

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Good move for the Sens as long as they can retain him after that term is over. If he walks cause he is asking for too much, you might not like it then. For now, I do agree, good move for the Sens. They do need to improve the D and goaltending.
For all these years of being a cap floor team, to being able to spend to the cap it seems so unreal right now..

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
Good move for the Sens as long as they can retain him after that term is over. If he walks cause he is asking for too much, you might not like it then. For now, I do agree, good move for the Sens. They do need to improve the D and goaltending. Chychrun is a good all around D man and he plays physical. I like the move and he fits for what the Sens need.

Is Norris out for season? No chance he plays playoffs if the Sens sneak in? Norris going down as a big hit early in the season.

Even if the Sens know he is gonna walk, they could prob flip him for a team that is willing to offer him an eight year contract and get a similar return back.Meanwhile, Chyrun should make Ottawa a legit playoff team going forward.

I love this move from the Sens perspective.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I’m sure other teams offered better packages - the Coyotes asking price from the Sens a couple of days ago was two 1sts, Soogard and Greig.

I think they just stuck to their asking price too long, almost every team moved on (some of them probably offered more than Ottawa), and Ottawa was left as the team offering the most before the deadline.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Curious for Sens fans.

Now you have Chychrun, Chabot, and Sanderson on LD and only Zub on left. Which of the three aforementioned LD do you see moving to the right side?
Good question. I believe it ends up being Chychrun or Sanderson. Chyc has experience in the NHL. Sanderson played alot of RD at NoDak. I think it ends up being Sanderson. His escapability this year is something to behold. He walks the line incredibly well too. I don't think it's going to be Chabot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad