Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
You think they miss the playoffs next year or the year after?
They have 16 million for 9 players and have to upgrade goaltending and sign Debrincat for next season. I would think Sens fans would be a little bit more reserved on expectations, but who learns from history anymore eh.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
They have 16 million for 9 players and have to upgrade goaltending and sign Debrincat for next season. I would think Sens fans would be a little bit more reserved on expectations, but who learns from history anymore eh.
No they don't. Forsberg and Sogaard will be fine.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
One reason Arizona might have been left without a lot of options is the number of defensemen available was a bit abnormal. Usually there is only 2-3 high quality rentals and a bunch of bottom pairing guys. Arizona was probably only expecting competition from rentals like Gavrikov, Orlov, and Klingberg as competition (and their own Gostisbehere but they controlled the market for that) Instead, there was also a bunch of high quality guys with term like Ekholm, Hronek Povorov, McCabe, Karlsson, etc.. either available or traded.

Even now, there is still a ton of guys out there.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
The young core is signed long term. The only big ticket item that needs re-signing is DBC. The other spots will hopefully be filled internally with entry level deals. It will be close... Ottawa will have to maximize their cap but if they want to compete with the heavyweights of the east, that was inevitable. It's up to the fans to pack the building.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Ottawa has to go for it the next 2-3 years. And by it I mean the playoffs. It's been what? 5-6 years of rebuilding heavily as a bottom feeder.

Both from a management keeping their jobs, trying to up value to sell the team, and fans getting restless POV.

But also from a player POV. You have your key players locked in. Can't just eternally toil as a bubble of being a bubble team and miss out forever by a hair - eventually Brady and Chabot are going to be demanding trades a la Chychrun.

If that means you give up a top 15 pick to increase your odds from 25% to 50% (just throwing numbers out) of making it into the playoffs, so be it.

1677769474271.png

This is assuming we resign DeBrincat. We still can make it work and will be better off than last season.
Then 5 million comes off the books in retention and buy outs the year after (summer of 2024) to resign the likes of Sanderson, then Giroux's 6.5 comes off (summer of 2025) to resign Pinto and Chychrun. The team's cap has quite a bit of lee-way even if the salary cap only goes up by 1M per year.

They will just have to bridge Pinto and possibly Sanderson in the coming couple seasons for some breathing room if they want to add UFAs in 2025 or 2026.

We have plenty of boom or bust and role player prospects in our cupboards to fill our 4th line and bottom pair over the next 2 years.

Boucher, Jarventie, Ostapchuk, Lodin, Daoust, Sokolov are all ELC/min salary guys that are tracking to be serviceable bottom 6 with 2nd line upside.

Kleven, Thomson, Guenette will all get their cup of tea to see if any works out, Kleven has a decent shot at our #6-7D with his UND connection and the way he's evolved. Then Hamara and Dorian for the 2025-2026 era as they graduate from juniors.

So the 2023-2024 draft picks aren't a major loss since they'd track to make an impact on the team's success more so in 2025-2026, while we have a decently deep prospect pool already.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I’m sure other teams offered better packages - the Coyotes asking price from the Sens a couple of days ago was two 1sts, Soogard and Greig.

I think they just stuck to their asking price too long, almost every team moved on (some of them probably offered more than Ottawa), and Ottawa was left as the team offering the most before the deadline.
His Agent on the radio this morning, said a few teams had better offers , the last week, but AZ had to take on some money, so declined.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So where do you rank him on our roster? Below Chabot? Or you believe Chabot isn’t a number 1 either?

Ordinarily I'd call Chabot a #1 but he hasn't played like one consistently this season.

I think they are about the same.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Reactions: SNES

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Jeez louise, brother; a defender who is 2 way, has strong puck possession numbers on Arizona team, 90 points in last 140 games played. Gritty, 6'2. Was in conversation as Canada's 1st or 2nd LD and he is a number 2-3?

Fascinating.

I made a poll because I was curious myself about what the general perception is.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
An important note is that they didn't trade Pinto or Greig in this deal, and they're both ready to be a huge part of the top 9 relatively cost effectively.

Also, Brannstrom has stepped up and can now be looked at as a solid 3rd pairing guy.

These little things matter hugely going forward. After debrincat, the next guy we have to worry about is Sanderson, but we have a window here.

Goaltending should be fine, dependent on if Forsberg comes back.

Arizona has a history with dmen who were great there who sucked after they left. See Yandle and OEL.

I'm pumped but let's see how Chych does on a non garbage team before calling him a number 1.
1 or 2, it feels good to have Chabot, Sanderson, Zub and Chychrun. Such a massive hole filled.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
What's funny is that Giroux, DeBrincat and Chychrun was the "dream scenario" for Senators fans - it just took a little while to materialize.

Now we have to see if it works out on the ice.
Yes, it definitely has to gel and work, but...damn....yeah, it's a dream scenario alright. I'm sure most sens fans have that knee jerk cautiously optimistic trepidation about anything like this because of the past.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
They gave up a good amount to get him but he is a pretty good player. Seems like the Sebators are content with their prsopect pool and young players to make this move. They stillchavent signed Debrincat yet tho which is kind of scary....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad