Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Ottawa has to go for it the next 2-3 years. And by it I mean the playoffs. It's been what? 5-6 years of rebuilding heavily as a bottom feeder.

Both from a management keeping their jobs, trying to up value to sell the team, and fans getting restless POV.

But also from a player POV. You have your key players locked in. Can't just eternally toil as a bubble of being a bubble team and miss out forever by a hair - eventually Brady and Chabot are going to be demanding trades a la Chychrun.

If that means you give up a top 15 pick to increase your odds from 25% to 50% (just throwing numbers out) of making it into the playoffs, so be it.

View attachment 661054

This is assuming we resign DeBrincat. We still can make it work and will be better off than last season.
Then 5 million comes off the books in retention and buy outs the year after (summer of 2024) to resign the likes of Sanderson, then Giroux's 6.5 comes off (summer of 2025) to resign Pinto and Chychrun. The team's cap has quite a bit of lee-way even if the salary cap only goes up by 1M per year.

They will just have to bridge Pinto and possibly Sanderson in the coming couple seasons for some breathing room if they want to add UFAs in 2025 or 2026.

We have plenty of boom or bust and role player prospects in our cupboards to fill our 4th line and bottom pair over the next 2 years.

Boucher, Jarventie, Ostapchuk, Lodin, Daoust, Sokolov are all ELC/min salary guys that are tracking to be serviceable bottom 6 with 2nd line upside.

Kleven, Thomson, Guenette will all get their cup of tea to see if any works out, Kleven has a decent shot at our #6-7D with his UND connection and the way he's evolved. Then Hamara and Dorian for the 2025-2026 era as they graduate from juniors.

So the 2023-2024 draft picks aren't a major loss since they'd track to make an impact on the team's success more so in 2025-2026, while we have a decently deep prospect pool already.
Pinto is a 10.2.c., so the cap hit could be lower (e.g., $1.5 m) if its a 1-year deal.

I'd think (guess) Brannstrom could be a little less as well.

So, we'd be cap compliant with these adjustments.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
They gave up a good amount to get him but he is a pretty good player. Seems like the Sebators are content with their prsopect pool and young players to make this move. They stillchavent signed Debrincat yet tho which is kind of scary....
Not scary at all. We'll probably lock him down at 8.0-8.3 long term. We have room for him at that price, and I can't see why he wouldn't want to. Not many teams have the cap space for him, especially not a team on the upswing like the Sens are.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa has to go for it the next 2-3 years. And by it I mean the playoffs. It's been what? 5-6 years of rebuilding heavily as a bottom feeder.

Both from a management keeping their jobs, trying to up value to sell the team, and fans getting restless POV.

But also from a player POV. You have your key players locked in. Can't just eternally toil as a bubble of being a bubble team and miss out forever by a hair - eventually Brady and Chabot are going to be demanding trades a la Chychrun.

If that means you give up a top 15 pick to increase your odds from 25% to 50% (just throwing numbers out) of making it into the playoffs, so be it.

View attachment 661054

This is assuming we resign DeBrincat. We still can make it work and will be better off than last season.
Then 5 million comes off the books in retention and buy outs the year after (summer of 2024) to resign the likes of Sanderson, then Giroux's 6.5 comes off (summer of 2025) to resign Pinto and Chychrun. The team's cap has quite a bit of lee-way even if the salary cap only goes up by 1M per year.

They will just have to bridge Pinto and possibly Sanderson in the coming couple seasons for some breathing room if they want to add UFAs in 2025 or 2026.

We have plenty of boom or bust and role player prospects in our cupboards to fill our 4th line and bottom pair over the next 2 years.

Boucher, Jarventie, Ostapchuk, Lodin, Daoust, Sokolov are all ELC/min salary guys that are tracking to be serviceable bottom 6 with 2nd line upside.

Kleven, Thomson, Guenette will all get their cup of tea to see if any works out, Kleven has a decent shot at our #6-7D with his UND connection and the way he's evolved. Then Hamara and Dorian for the 2025-2026 era as they graduate from juniors.

So the 2023-2024 draft picks aren't a major loss since they'd track to make an impact on the team's success more so in 2025-2026, while we have a decently deep prospect pool already.
Cant toil I agree, problem is if this team isn't good enough there isn't much, if any money to upgrade. They will be lucky to keep all the players they have now with the increases in salary the D men will require if they are anywhere near as good as Sens fans hype them to be.

Gambling on prospects filling roles never seems to pan out but if your bar is making playoffs I assume that should be achievable. Lots of teams have up and comers and you have to think Buffalo or Det will make noise along with the Sens over next 2-3 years.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
They gave up a good amount to get him but he is a pretty good player. Seems like the Sebators are content with their prsopect pool and young players to make this move. They stillchavent signed Debrincat yet tho which is kind of scary....
You are welcome to drop by the Senators forum and take a look at the posts with roster & salaries. They will be alright and will be cap compliant.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
They have 16 million for 9 players and have to upgrade goaltending and sign Debrincat for next season. I would think Sens fans would be a little bit more reserved on expectations, but who learns from history anymore eh.
Same response as the post above .........

Do you think the Senators make a trade like this without knowing they can meet the cap next year? LOL.

You are welcome to drop by the Senators forum and take a look at the posts with roster & salaries. They will be alright and will be cap compliant.

Reactions: bert

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Yes I understand you have the cap but you have him at minimum 1 year after this season. He needs to actually be willing to stay though for you to sign him longterm. Other teams can have their cap in better shape come summer 2024.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Wait so there was no extra price charged to the Blues for taking Scandella then ... ?

A whole person turned the last 18 months of his life into GMing a trade of a player who went for a 1st and two seconds. He told every single fan base exactly how he assessed the quality of their prospects and whether they were sufficient for Chychrun. Next level hilarity.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Same response as the post above .........

Do you think the Senators make a trade like this without knowing they can meet the cap next year? LOL.

I dont think it says anywhere in my post they wont be cap compliant. Feel free to read it again.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yes I understand you have the cap but you have him at minimum 1 year after this season. He needs to actually be willing to stay though for you to sign him longterm. Other teams can have their cap in better shape come summer 2024.
You seem to be moving the goalposts and making another argument now. The real constraint is next year. For the 2024-25 season, $5 million of dead cap space (retained salary & buyouts) comes off the books and the cap is expected to go up then by all accounts (Bettman, etc.). They will be fine.

Chychrun's father has lived in Ottawa. They have a cottage near Ottawa (White Lake). His parents were ecstatic about the news.

Reactions: topshelf15 and bert

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We are waiting for the new owners to come in and offer DBC a boatload of cash.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I dont think it says anywhere in my post they wont be cap compliant. Feel free to read it again.
This is what you said: "They have 16 million for 9 players and have to upgrade goaltending and sign Debrincat for next season."

Technically you didn't say "they won't be cap compliant" but that sentence implies it. I won't go back & forth if we are in to word smithing games.

Reactions: bert

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They have 16 million for 9 players and have to upgrade goaltending and sign Debrincat for next season. I would think Sens fans would be a little bit more reserved on expectations, but who learns from history anymore eh.

16 million to sign. 7 players. Debrincat, pinto, 4th line wingers, a bottom pairing and a back up goaltender. Cap friendly is counting the cap of players on IR but doesn’t include them in the roster. It’s obviously tight but more than manageable, especially given the options Ottawa has in house to round out the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: PM and NyQuil

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We are waiting for the new owners to come in and offer DBC a boatload of cash.
That is a red herring and not necessary. New owners will inherit whatever the cap ceiling turns out to be just like all the other teams. Senators will be fine regardless of owner. The Senators don't make a trade like this without knowing they can be cap compliant next year.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
We also have JBD Thompson and Kleven close to emerging. Im sure for the next 2 years we can find 1 or 2 of those guys to play a 6/7 D role. Easy $$ in the pocket there

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Pinto is probably a little high but I'm accounting for a 3yr deal, that's why.
Year 1: 1.500
Year 2: 2.500
Year 3: 3.500

cap.JPG

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
You seem to be moving the goalposts and making another argument now. The real constraint is next year. For the 2024-25 season, $5 million of dead cap space (retained salary & buyouts) comes off the books and the cap is expected to go up then by all accounts (Bettman, etc.). They will be fine.

Chychrun's father has lived in Ottawa. They have a cottage near Ottawa (White Lake). His parents were ecstatic about the news.
Chychrun's Grandfather and his sister live in Ottawa

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
16 million to sign. 7 players. Debrincat, pinto, 4th line wingers, a bottom pairing and a back up goaltender. Cap friendly is counting the cap of players on IR but doesn’t include them in the roster. It’s obviously tight but more than manageable, especially given the options Ottawa has in house to round out the roster.
Fair enough on the amount of players. I incorrectly assumed that capfriendly wouldnt consider players on the IR now as on the IR for the following season for the player count, as the money was counted correctly.

So they aren't going to upgrade goaltending? Why spend all the money and assets and not take care of the goaltending aspect. They need a 1b at the very least, so have to pony up. I would think they are looking at 12 million between Debrincat and a goalie and I feel like that is under estimating a hair.

Last edited:

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
This is what you said: "They have 16 million for 9 players and have to upgrade goaltending and sign Debrincat for next season."

Technically you didn't say "they won't be cap compliant" but that sentence implies it. I won't go back & forth if we are in to word smithing games.
The sentence implies they will have a tough time keeping all the same players they have now. Every team is cap compliant one way or another. They will be up against the cap with league minimums filling out 5 roster spots more or less and that is if they go into next season with a rookie goalie and a middle of the pack goalie coming off MCL injury to both knees.

Impossible to have any depth, injuries are a certainty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad