Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I guess it depends on what you think of the goaltending position, and it’s certainly a weakness with the structure of the team. I’m of the opinion that a good team can make a capable goaltender look good. I personally see Forsberg as a capable 1A but I’m sure not everyone agrees with that and there’s questions around him. We will get a good look at Sogaard down the stretch, might have to look outside the organization for a guy who can be reliable for 30 games which could be difficult given the price point that works. But there’s a lot of assumptions here and I don’t see how this acquisition really changes anything. There’s a conversation about wether signing Debrincat is the best for the team moving forward, I think there’s an argument to be made both ways.
If we are talking about next year (2023-24), there will be enough money to acquire a 2nd goaltender if one is required. There's plenty of CapFriendly tables and spreadsheets floating around in the Senators board covering this. This is true even with Debrincat signed.

It will be tight next year, but then it will open up as the cap increases the following year, and $5 m of retained & buyout salary comes off the books. I think you probably find it interesting/amusing that fans of other teams (e.g., Montreal) seem quite concerned about our cap situation which we appreciate of course. ;)

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
"Senators general manager Pierre Dorion waited long enough for the Coyotes’ price to drop. And instead of giving up a top prospect and two first-round draft choices to land Chychrun, Arizona settled for a *conditional 2023 first-round pick, a conditional 2024 second-round pick (formerly Washington’s pick) and a 2026 second-round pick."

BA way over valued Chych, like I have been saying for months, until the trade then reality set in.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Obviously I want the pick to stay nice and early but I also want Chychrun to have success and be healthy. I guess I’m cheering for him to put up 18 points the rest of the way but for ottawas goalies to utterly collapse. And I guess for debrincat to go ice cold so you guys can re-sign him for cheap.

Basically, I want the pick to be 13th (right where we acquired it) but Ottawa to still be very happy with the trade overall.

To me, 13th overall in this draft and a couple of extra 2nds is very nice return. Win-win.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hate to be that guy but name 60 - 75 defencemen that are better than Chychrun or Chabot....

Both have something to prove going forward but both have played like 1D for significant time periods - Chabot more so.

Fair enough, but I think of these as sort of arbitrary categorizations of where you would like them on a competitive playoff team.

As opposed to, "there are 32 #1 defencemen in the league" because mathematically there has to be.

Reactions: wintersej

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The 11th overall pick in the last draft cost the 27th pick (Carolina’s), the 34th pick (nearly a 1st) and the 45th pick to acquire.

So if Ottawa’s pick is somewhere around 11th (say 13th or 14th) in a very good draft, I think that’s pretty solid value. Especially given some future 2nds are added in.

Armstrong said he had an offer with two very late firsts he turned down for this one. Maybe Carolina? I think trading up from Carolina’s pick last year was too steep and he didn’t want to have to pay a price like that again. He felt Ottawa’s package gave him an opportunity to pick in a premium location without depleting his draft capital so severely.

He also stated that other GMs were trying to get him to take the kinds contracts he usually gets two 2nds for in the off-season. He wasn’t willing to give up that value just to make a deal. His budget rolls over, and he can use it to make his signature bad contracts for picks deals in a few months. So that budget space is key for him.

Two late firsts, a second and a dump that costs him an opportunity to cash in on summer 2nds is less appealing than this deal.

But it’s risky. Ottawa could stay hot and make the playoffs. The market for bad contracts could become less favorable (Chicago and others getting involved). And he could be left with a later pick, and only 3rds for dumps this summer. In which case, he took a much worse deal.

If Ottawa holds around this pick location, and he’s able to bring in a haul of dump picks this summer, than he’s done quite well, from a pure value perspective.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
The Sens will make their run this year. I don’t know if they’ll make it, but next year should be a good year. I think Sanderson emerges as the #1D on the team next season and Ottawa has a really solid group.

He’s pretty much eating Zaitsev’s money, and when he’s up for an extension, a rising cap plus dead money coming off will be enough to sign him.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Fair enough, but I think of these as sort of arbitrary categorizations of where you would like them on a competitive playoff team.

As opposed to, "there are 32 #1 defencemen in the league" because mathematically there has to be.
You could also think about it as the top 32 defencemen are #1's ect. ect. Which is logically the only really way of doing it.

I would call 25-39 1/2's.

The top 45 D's in the league would be in the top two of most teams in the league, including contenders. Chabot and Chychrun are both easily in that category.

There are more teams with no defencemen better than Chabot or Chychrun than teams that have more than one.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Obviously I want the pick to stay nice and early but I also want Chychrun to have success and be healthy. I guess I’m cheering for him to put up 18 points the rest of the way but for ottawas goalies to utterly collapse. And I guess for debrincat to go ice cold so you guys can re-sign him for cheap.

Basically, I want the pick to be 13th (right where we acquired it) but Ottawa to still be very happy with the trade overall.

To me, 13th overall in this draft and a couple of extra 2nds is very nice return. Win-win.
My god has your tune changed over the last 6 months lol

Embarrassing

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017

Embarrassing
To play devil’s advocate he wasn’t privy to the knowledge that the Coyotes will tank their value on their players on account of finances.

He might be happy with the return after knowing that.

I’ve said it before but @rt wanted 1st round pick, Greig and Zaitsev for Chychrun.

That is damn close to 1st and two seconds.

Reactions: Kaizen

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
To play devil’s advocate he wasn’t privy to the knowledge that the Coyotes will tank their value on their players on account of finances.

He might be happy with the return after knowing that.

I’ve said it before but @rt wanted 1st round pick, Greig and Zaitsev for Chychrun.

That is damn close to 1st and two seconds.
That's not the return RT was saying he wanted in the threads I was reading.

and fair enough on the details with how awful Arizona finances are right now. but when you talk like you're the GM yourself and have absurd out to lunch trade values of players from your favorite team, expect to get roasted when the trade comes to fruition and the value isn't close to what you were wanting.

It's kind of what you're doing in another thread right now. Don't be so sure what you're team will or will not do, none of us know what will actually happen on this website.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The 11th overall pick in the last draft cost the 27th pick (Carolina’s), the 34th pick (nearly a 1st) and the 45th pick to acquire.

So if Ottawa’s pick is somewhere around 11th (say 13th or 14th) in a very good draft, I think that’s pretty solid value. Especially given some future 2nds are added in.

Armstrong said he had an offer with two very late firsts he turned down for this one. Maybe Carolina? I think trading up from Carolina’s pick last year was too steep and he didn’t want to have to pay a price like that again. He felt Ottawa’s package gave him an opportunity to pick in a premium location without depleting his draft capital so severely.

He also stated that other GMs were trying to get him to take the kinds contracts he usually gets two 2nds for in the off-season. He wasn’t willing to give up that value just to make a deal. His budget rolls over, and he can use it to make his signature bad contracts for picks deals in a few months. So that budget space is key for him.

Two late firsts, a second and a dump that costs him an opportunity to cash in on summer 2nds is less appealing than this deal.

But it’s risky. Ottawa could stay hot and make the playoffs. The market for bad contracts could become less favorable (Chicago and others getting involved). And he could be left with a later pick, and only 3rds for dumps this summer. In which case, he took a much worse deal.

If Ottawa holds around this pick location, and he’s able to bring in a haul of dump picks this summer, than he’s done quite well, from a pure value perspective.

Yeah, when people look at this trade and go "wow only one 1st??!", I think most are reaaaally overlooking how much more valuable Ottawa's 1st is/might be than one from a team at the top of the standings. If the Sens falter a bit down the stretch, you're easily talking about 2 late 1sts of value in that one pick.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Yeah, when people look at this trade and go "wow only one 1st??!", I think most are reaaaally overlooking how much more valuable Ottawa's 1st is/might be than one from a team at the top of the standings. If the Sens falter a bit down the stretch, you're easily talking about 2 late 1sts of value in that one pick.
Exactly.

Embarrassing
Nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad