Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Othmann did nothing and his poor skating makes him a liability on the ice. I would refrain on calling him up at all to protect his value and then trade him at the deadline for an actual good player.

grachevsceiling

Jul 2, 2024
I’d never root against my team but I just feel like with the status quo winning out roster-wise, it’s going to take some big ass adversity for this group of guys to get to a place where they can win it all. I think that’s why people are itching about changing a good power play, don’t want to give up on the idea of Othmann, and are psyched at the possibility of Edstrom getting, I don’t know, 8 minutes of ice lol—because the definition of insanity blah blah blah.

Like a solid 6 game losing streak to open the year sans Panarin might actually do this team good, I don’t know. This year, if it’s going to be eventful, will need a helmet throw or two, at minimum. It’s not going to be someone at the deadline. It has to be some kind of soul searching.

Reactions: NYR2007

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Why are we trading Othmann because he hasn't yet made the NHL when there are a grand total of four players in his draft taken after pick 10 that are full time NHL players at this point? (Sillinger, Johnston, Moser, Knies).
AHL three years after draft year is not good. Rangers are locked into the roster so they are going to have to re-coup assets somehow. Othmann value isn’t going to go up in AHL unless he takes a leap; which he hasn’t shown yet. They can’t have another sunk asset

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Othmann did nothing and his poor skating makes him a liability on the ice. I would refrain on calling him up at all to protect his value and then trade him at the deadline for an actual good player.
So you rather throw away prospects at a rental who will just won't do much and leave as a free agent. Let's trade Perreault once he stuggles. What if he struggles when he becomes a pro? Can't wait until he struggles and fans would want to throw him away. Some fans don't have patience. We had patience with Kakko and some think he will break out. He is what he is at this point. 3rd line player that is soft, good along the boards, non physical and can't score. Let's keep Kakko for that hope because he is the 2ed overall pick. Kakko is not that good of an offensive player. He needs the larger ice surface to produce. Othmann can improve at 21. Kakko is 23 going to be 24 and his 6th session. If he can't figure it out now. He never will. So he might breakout at 28 on another team. We had 6 years of Kakko with the same issues. Maybe he is the problem

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
AHL three years after draft year is not good. Rangers are locked into the roster so they are going to have to re-coup assets somehow. Othmann value isn’t going to go up in AHL unless he takes a leap; which he hasn’t shown yet. They can’t have another sunk asset
He was a 1st year pro just last year. Let's have a little more patience. Some are patience with Krappko. At least Othmann is a cheaper contract. Kakko cost too much for what he does which isn't much

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
So you rather throw away prospects at a rental who will just won't do much and leave as a free agent. Let's trade Perreault once he stuggles. What if he struggles when he becomes a pro? Can't wait until he struggles and fans would want to throw him away. Some fans don't have patience. We had patience with Kakko and some think he will break out. He is what he is at this point. 3rd line player that is soft, good along the boards, non physical and can't score. Let's keep Kakko for that hope because he is the 2ed overall pick. Kakko is not that good of an offensive player. He needs the larger ice surface to produce. Othmann can improve at 21. Kakko is 23 going to be 24 and his 6th session. If he can't figure it out now. He never will. So he might breakout at 28 on another team. We had 6 years of Kakko with the same issues. Maybe he is the problem

wait so we should have patience with Othmann even though our patience with Kakko was wrong? what the hell is this

Reactions: UnSandvich

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I think Perreault is considerably ahead of Othmann in areas such as hockey IQ that moving him is not going to happen.

My sense is that some people here have always had an inflated idea of what Othmann might become. He's not likely ever going to be a 1st line winger on a good team. He's more in the way of a middle 6 winger on a good team--kind of a Dustin Brown, Brenden Morrow type. He should become a good player but he's not going to be a star. He might top out with a 30 goal season or two--50 point range and if that happens that's a win for where we took him in the first round.

All that said the Rangers must think he's fairly close considering he's the only player that got to play in all 6 preseason games. No one else played more than 4. He might still be up if he could have stood out last night against the Islanders playing with Trocheck and Lafreniere. Often in those 6 games I thought his play away from the puck left a little to be desired. If he plays all season in Hartford also one would hope he gets at least into the 50's if not the 60's in points and does more at even strength.

He is tradable however for the right price.

Perreault absolutely has first line potential. He is a point producing machine. That was on display in 22-23 with the USNTDP and in 23-24 at BC and for the USA at the WJC. He's one of those guys that the puck seems to follow around and he displays traits similar to Panarin and Adam Fox.

It would take an awful lot I think for the Rangers to move him. He has the potential to be better than Lafreniere.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The PP is predictable against teams that actually know how to kill penalties. I dont care that they go 3/5 against Columbus on a Tuesday in January. Playoff opponents have a lifetime worth of tape on us. The Canes and Panthers both adjusted and we had no answers because we only tried it one way for 100+ games. No need to spaz out over it. Shouldnt the team be making attempts to find new wrinkles? Or keep doing the same shit? They won't even change up the even strength lines, man. Look up the definition of insanity.

Scoring on the PP is tougher in the playoffs because you're playing better teams.

The definition of insanity here is not addressing the team's problems, but instead focusing on the the stuff the team does best. The only thing wrong with the PP was their most important player skating on one leg.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Well it seems pretty typical given as I said only four players have made the NHL full time at this part. Maybe your expectations are wrong.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
wait so we should have patience with Othmann even though our patience with Kakko was wrong? what the hell is this
Kakko drafted in 2019 and Othmann drafted in 2021. Kakko 6 years pro and Othmann only a 2ed year pro. Huge difference in development. At least Lafy has shown signs of improvement. Kakko's improvement is just defensively. And still hasn't scored much when getting the chance.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Kakko drafted in 2019 and Othmann drafted in 2021. Kakko 6 years pro and Othmann only a 2ed year pro. Huge difference in development. At least Lafy has shown signs of improvement. Kakko's improvement is just defensively. And still hasn't scored much when getting the chance.
He had a 20 goal season on the 3rd line.
That’s not far off from lafs 28 goal season with Panarin.

He’s had injury problems and that’s concerning, but when he’s played a full season he was absolutely not a concern scoring.

Reactions: gump116

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He was a 1st year pro just last year. Let's have a little more patience. Some are patience with Krappko. At least Othmann is a cheaper contract. Kakko cost too much for what he does which isn't much
I’d rather we learned from our Kakko mistake(s)

Well it seems pretty typical given as I said only four players have made the NHL full time at this part. Maybe your expectations are wrong.
i think your expectations are too high for non-lottery first round picks. If Othmann has value left, it simply does not increase with him in AHL. They should have moved him for Guentzel at the deadline. Let’s not make the same mistakes again

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
You realize that the Rangers currently have a great goalie on a team friendly contract. If they don’t sign Shesty and replace him with an average goalie who might make a little less then they won’t have a whole lot more to spend anyway. And we’ll be worse at goalie.

They might resign him using Trouba’s money and have that same little left over
We'll be paying him near double what he is on, why are we excluding that extra massive hit against the cap.

I know exactly the situation, and effectively replacing Trouba's contract with a larger one, how are we planning on improving the team with other existing RFAs to sign. I also know we'll be adding said additional mammoth contract and ushering in another era of a flawed team being bailed out by a goaltender as our most 'important' player. And that is only if he goes on to have anything remotely close to the career of Hank. Far from assured.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Kakko’s 6 pro seasons is way more than 2 pro seasons. Othmann is a pest. Those types take longer and Othmann has improved each season. Kakko either gets hurt or gets chances and does not score. Defensive forward that only improved in that area. He still is not a great skater, soft and not physical. If by now, he has not improved, he wont change. People thought Lafy was a bust but like Othmann, he is a physical player and actually improved from season to season. Kakko has had some bad luck yes but that bad luck is a sign he needs a change of scenery. Kakko is just not that good

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Kakko’s 6 pro seasons is way more than 2 pro seasons. Othmann is a pest. Those types take longer and Othmann has improved each season. Kakko either gets hurt or gets chances and does not score. Defensive forward that only improved in that area. He still is not a great skater, soft and not physical. If by now, he has not improved, he wont change. People thought Lafy was a bust but like Othmann, he is a physical player and actually improved from season to season. Kakko has had some bad luck yes but that bad luck is a sign he needs a change of scenery. Kakko is just not that good
Right now today, he is however a better player than Othmann. Especially considering the role.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Othman did address a major concern by playing between the dots during camp.
He needs to keep that up in Hartford.
There may be hope yet.

Isn't playing between the dots what he's always been good at? The issue in the pros is finding space between the dots to produce 5v5; and I haven't seen him do that consistently yet.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Scoring on the PP is tougher in the playoffs because you're playing better teams.

The definition of insanity here is not addressing the team's problems, but instead focusing on the the stuff the team does best. The only thing wrong with the PP was their most important player skating on one leg.

Pp in the playoffs is harder because it's not just one game on the road to another team. Teams scout your pp for the series and continue to adjust to what you are doing until they find what works, sometimes they just copy what worked against it in the previous series, if you aren't adjusting as well you may as well fold the tent on the pp. That's why Tampa's pp was so deadly, they had a shooter on both sides that could also thread a pass, hedman or sergachev on the point firing pucks at the net and the willingness to drive the net when it comes from the point. I continually say it, it's obvious we are trying to work it to the left side of the ice because we have no left handed shooter on the right side. Our current iteration of the pp is most dangerous when Panarin is walking in with a shot from time to time and Fox is wristing junk at the net for tips, but that doesn't happen near enough

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Mancini has been a pleasant surprise thus far tbh.
It seems like Berard and Edstrom will both be left standing on the big club as well when the dust settles.

Othmann wasn’t bad, but wasn’t good enough to set himself apart from the rest. Hopefully another 1/2 or Full season in the A does good things for his development

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Rangers currently have 15 forwards and 10 defensemen. They need to cut 1-2 forwards and 2-3 defensemen. Forwards include Berard, Brodzinski, and Edstrom (excluding Carrick and Rempe who I think are locks to make it). Defensemen include Robertson, Mancini, Mackey, and Ruhwedel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad