Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
I love seeing some of the comments recently saying Chychrun is injury plagued and can't play 60 games. Coyotes are asking to much(2 1sts and a second) etc.
Then after this trade the Yotes apparently got fleeced. It's not far from the the ask and the first in 23 should be solid.

Last edited:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think people are being a little harsh regarding the return for AZ. The Sens are playing good hockey and have a good shot at making the playoffs, but at the end of the day they are still 5 points back of the last playoff spot with 2 teams ahead of them in pursuit of that last spot. That pick could still fall in the 12-16 range. You’re getting a helluva good prospect in that range.

But it is a bit light based on the asking prices that were reported.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Hindsight is 20/20 but if the Coyotes traded Chychyryn in the 2021 offseason (the start of their rebuild), they probably get a better return while also not having to take on cash that would go past this season

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Prefer to be Ottawa here obviously but I also don't buy into Pierre Dorion pulling off one of the all time fleecings. Alot of teams easily could've afforded this, so there's gotta be something about Chychrun that GMs either don't like, or something questionable about him that they know but we don't.

Great move for Ottawa either way considering this was pretty cheap given the quality of the player and his contract.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Imagine the balls of putting an ECF condition on your pick when you aren’t even in a playoff position :laugh:

Seems to me to be more of a negotiation between the gms. Arizona wanting a more obtainable condition, the senators wanting no condition at all.

Eventually ending up where they did.

Reactions: Kaizen

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
All the talent you draft gets traded away in 5 years for cap dumps and draftpicks. #Recycle #HereWeGoAgain
The guy got traded because he asked for it. You are clueless about the Coyotes and their plan since they actually hired a competent GM with Billy Armstrong. The team plays hard and they have the best uniforms in the show. They also aren't going anywhere, so get used to them Heiskanen fan boy!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Hilarious that the 2023 1st is top 5 protected and the condition on the 2024 1st is the Sens making the ECF in 2023. So protecting against a bottom 5 finish and a top 4 finish.
What's even funnier is that it's no doubt Ottawa that insisted on the first condition because they're worried that they might finish bottom-5 and Arizona that insisted on the second condition because they're worried that Ottawa might finish top-4. Arizona seemingly has more faith in Ottawa than Ottawa does. :laugh:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Dvorak and Chychrun aren't at all similar. Chychrun has actually played like a dominant #1D.

Dvorak is pretty much the same player Montreal traded for, it was just the Habs fans that seemed to think he had a bunch of untapped potential, and got disappointed when they realized that he was just a regressing mess.

Chychurn was the best available player on the market. And he has 2 years MORE term at a great cap hit. It's an incredible contract.
The contract situations were similar, despite Chychrun developing further.

But two more years shouldn't mean that much to Ottawa, given they aren't going to be contenders over those 2 years, anyways. I guess I'm not seeing the fit for Ottawa long-term here.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
What's even funnier is that it's no doubt Ottawa that insisted on the first condition because they're worried that they might finish bottom-5 and Arizona that insisted on the second condition because they're worried that Ottawa might finish top-4. Arizona seemingly has more faith in Ottawa than Ottawa does. :laugh:

I just think it’s wild they couldn’t get the condition to be make the playoffs or win a round. ECF basically guarantees it’s a 2nd. Ottawa pushing top 5 protection was realistic. Arizona accepting a condition of making the ECF may as well have just taken a 2nd with no conditions.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I think people are being a little harsh regarding the return for AZ. The Sens are playing good hockey and have a good shot at making the playoffs, but at the end of the day they are still 5 points back of the last playoff spot with 2 teams ahead of them in pursuit of that last spot. That pick could still fall in the 12-16 range. You’re getting a helluva good prospect in that range.

But it is a bit light based on the asking prices that were reported.
Should have gotten pinto plus 2023 1st round pick the end.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Imagine the balls of putting an ECF condition on your pick when you aren’t even in a playoff position :laugh:

Would this not be Dorion throwing Armstrong a dog bone so that he's got a pie in the sky hope that his deal gets slightly better?

Even just the optics of having a "conditional" 1st sounds slightly better than a 2nd, if your in danger control mode I mean.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Chabot
Chychrun
Sanderson
Zub
Brannstrom
Hamonic

Excellent blueline. Maybe shop Brannstrom and see what you can get.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The contract situations were similar, despite Chychrun developing further.

But two more years shouldn't mean that much to Ottawa, given they aren't going to be contenders over those 2 years, anyways. I guess I'm not seeing the fit for Ottawa long-term here.

It adds a valuable piece to a young core that is still developing, it props them up while some others find their place and round out their game. By the time Chychurn's current deal expires Sanderson will have three season's under his belt and be more than ready to take on an expanded role. Giroux's deal also expires at the same time. It's impossible to tell what the future holds but there's flexibility of an extension there.

We will see how Debrincat's situation plays out but adding Chychrun at 4.6m X2.25 years adds flexibility for his contract while filling a hole in the lineup.

Reactions: pth2

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
It adds a valuable piece to a young core that is still developing, it props them up while some others find their place and round out their game. By the time Chychurn's current deal expires Sanderson will have three season's under his belt and be more than ready to take on an expanded role. Giroux's deal also expires at the same time. It's impossible to tell what the future holds but there's flexibility of an extension there.

We will see how Debrincat's situation plays out but adding Chychrun at 4.6m X2.25 years adds flexibility for his contract while filling a hole in the lineup.
Fair enough. And if Ottawa keeps on trending upwards and he has local roots, an extension might get done very easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad