Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Wouldn't say a lot. Mostly the same teams.

Only 25% of teams do it every season.

Since the Leafs made the playoffs in 2016-2017, these are the teams that have won a round:
Washington​
NY Rangers​
Ottawa​
Pittsburgh​
Nashville​
St. Louis​
Anaheim​
Edmonton​
Tampa Bay​
Boston​
Winnipeg​
Vegas​
San Jose​
Columbus​
Carolina​
New York Islanders​
Dallas​
Colorado​
Montreal​
Arizona​
Vancouver​
Calgary​
Florida​

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yup.

So for next seasons playoffs aspirations, is it the minority or majority again?

Hard to say! I don't think many would expect this team to jump into the fight for the division lead or anything. But I'd suspect that most will be severely let down if the team doesn't make the playoffs.

With that roster on paper they absolutely should. If they don't heads will roll.

If I were to put money on it, I'd expect most Sens fans expect the team to make the playoffs next year. I do.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Giroux's contract definitely offers flexibility. Does he want to retire here? Will he do it for a serious pay cut? If not . . . one of Pinto or Greig are looking likely to be able to step up into a top 6 capacity. Murray, White and Ryan buyouts are off the books by then.

Sens should be able to retain their core, and fill out the bottom roster with league minimum contracts which seems to be the play these days from contenders.

Difficult choices will have to be made somewhere along the way, but for the next two seasons this team and all its core pieces up front are locked in place.

Goaltending is another issue altogether . . . but if Soogard keeps it up, I think Sens fans will be quite content going into next year with him and Forsberg.

Agreed that difficult choices will have to be made. Some day. But having difficult choices is a beautiful situation compared to making painful and sad choices (ie like trading stars that dont want to be here before we lose them for nothing).

Making "cuts" sounds like a luxury that we haven't had in far too many years.

Reactions: topshelf15

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Since the Leafs made the playoffs in 2016-2017, these are the teams that have won a round:
Washington​
NY Rangers​
Ottawa​
Pittsburgh​
Nashville​
St. Louis​
Anaheim​
Edmonton​
Tampa Bay​
Boston​
Winnipeg​
Vegas​
San Jose​
Columbus​
Carolina​
New York Islanders​
Dallas​
Colorado​
Montreal​
Arizona​
Vancouver​
Calgary​
Florida​

Cool story.

Why am I being dragged into this strawman again?

What does the Leafs winning a round have to do with the Sens making the playoffs? :laugh:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Cool story.

Why am I being dragged into this strawman again?

What does the Leafs winning a round have to do with the Sens making the playoffs? :laugh:

I thought you claimed that it wasn't easy to win a playoff series and not many teams have done it.

When in fact, it's clearly not that hard to do and most of the teams have done it.

Reactions: Sens9292

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yeah, but this is me being dragged into a strawmen.

I never made the claim the majority of Sens fan think they were a playoff for multiple seasons... but I'm expected to defend the strawmen for some reason.

That was never my argument.
Great backpedalling now.
Your bad takes have run their course.

Reactions: Sens9292

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I thought you claimed that it wasn't easy to win a playoff series and not many teams have done it.

When in fact, it's clearly not that hard to do and most of the teams have done it.

It's clearly hard to do as only 25% of teams can do it.

But yes, if you consider the fact the Leafs went through an entire rebuild then yes, a lot of teams won rounds when the Leafs couldn't make the playoffs.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Agreed that difficult choices will have to be made. Some day. But having difficult choices is a beautiful situation compared to making painful and sad choices (ie like trading stars that dont want to be here before we lose them for nothing).

Making "cuts" sounds like a luxury that we haven't had in far too many years.

Couldn't agree more!

On paper this is the most complete Senators team, especially on the blueline, that they've had since Hasek (not saying the quality of forwards is quite the same, but from top to bottom . . . hot damn). Hard not to get excited . . . here's hoping they live up to the hype now.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But yes, if you consider the fact the Leafs went through an entire rebuild then yes, a lot of teams won rounds when the Leafs couldn't make the playoffs.

I only started counting once the Leafs were making the post-season.

If I am correct:

1. You alleged that Senators fans have been calling them to make the playoffs for years now.

2. When challenged, you offered into evidence an HF poll (which includes non-Senators fans BTW) in which 28% of the posters believed that the Senators had the pieces in hand to make the post-season in 2021-2022.

Have I summarized your contributions to this thread concerning the trade of Jacob Chychrun?

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Great pickup for Dorion and the Senators. Really would have expected another A-B level prospect to be attached to this package.

Can't help but laugh at what other teams around the league gave up for inferior defensemen.

Reactions: SensFactor

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Washington​
NY Rangers​
Ottawa​
Pittsburgh​
Nashville​
St. Louis​
Anaheim​
Edmonton​
Tampa Bay​
Boston​
Winnipeg​
Vegas​
San Jose​
Columbus​
Carolina​
New York Islanders​
Dallas​
Colorado​
Montreal​
Arizona​
Vancouver​
Calgary​
Florida​
I notice the Flyers are missing. They tried hard though, so our management considers us to be in that group.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Ah, you're one of those Leaf fans who prefers to believe that they failed to make the playoffs in 2020 rather than lose a round.

If you think 75% of the league made the playoffs one season, be my guest.

That's one way to add a bunch of teams to 'winning a round'.

Would be more than 25% if you're saying 24 teams made the playoffs one year and 12 of them won a round.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

It’s not what I believe, it’s what the NHL explicitly stated.

On May 28, the NHL stated that both the Round-robin and the Qualifying Round were to be counted under playoff records, on the same day that the league declared the winners of the stats-based regular-season NHL awards.

Divine said:

It's one way the Leafs could have added their name to the list.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005

Would be more than 25% if you're saying 24 teams made the playoffs one year and 12 of them won a round.

GET BACK ON TOPIC. Another mod said it earlier and you've ignored him, so I'll say it louder and specifically to you.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad