Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Not now they did before they made all the moves though

In a vacuum Toronto had the assets.

However, the Leafs would likely had to give up Knies given Toronto’s picks are late 1st rounders. Further to that the Leafs (as did many of the top teams) needed retention.

Money is a big concern in Arizona. Money is likely the biggest factor that lead to Ottawa winning the trade over so many teams like Boston, Toronto, Edmonton etc.

Ottawa was opportunistic and did an amazing job with this trade.

Reactions: Jakey53

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
I'm pretty happy. He's better than Chabot, so he'll get PP1. And Ottawa's forwards can do some damage. It's a lot better than him playing on the PP2 on a better team
Senators have been the second best performing team in 2023, I was really really surprised to learn in terms of win percentage. Carolina was first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Yeah. The return on Chychrun really isn’t all that disappointing. Could be very good if Ottawa blows it. I’m not too worried about this return honestly.

It’s more that we took less that we could’ve for money reasons. Same with Gostisbehere. That’s a bummer. Would’ve loved to see what the return could’ve been if money wasn’t so tight.
Arizona got considerably less than what you were expecting no?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah, I'm not saying 100% of Sens fans think they're gonna make the playoffs. That will never happen.

But it's more than 1 or 2 who have said it for multiple years.

There are a handful of delusional fans for every franchise.

Whats you're point?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think a lot of people are underestimating the value of a #10-!5 pick in this draft.

Yeah, people ascribe flat values to "a 1st" that just don't really work. If the other picks AZ was offered were late in the round, I mean, just imagine what the cost would be to move up from pick #28 to pick #13 at the draft. It'd probably take an extra 1st.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
No one could be bothered to pay more than a 10-15 first and 2 mid seconds for a top pair defense-man? Really?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Arizona got considerably less than what you were expecting no?

A 1st around the 10-15 mark and two seconds is actually the same as the ask value wise. Picks in that range are worth 2-3x picks in the last five of the first round, historically speaking. Bill Armstrong said they had two first offers, but they were likely to be much later. And AZ wasn't taking on cash or cap so options were limited.

I think both teams will be happy with the deal. It's just not very HF friendly because there's no named prospect to argue about.

Reactions: guyzeur

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I seem mad? Well I’m not. I think the senators need to make the playoffs next year. Not sure why that is controversial. Their window is the next couple years just based on how cap works. They ideally will strike while still in a good spot cap flexibility wise. That’s just how the nhl works.

They may lose someone along the way in the next 6-8 years. Like one single star player, and they might not lose any of them if they are crafty enough and the cap rises like some are predicting it will.

The entire core is almost all locked up to long term cap friendly deals. Giroux and his $6.5m are done in 2 seasons when Chychrun is also up.

There's nothing but flexibility with this young Sens roster, and giving it 2 years to win is almost hilariously inaccurate.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Huge win for the Sens. Congrats gang despite your crap owner.
Deadpool-Surprised.jpg

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
There are a handful of delusional fans for every franchise.

Whats you're point?

My only point was that this isn't my first time hearing the Sens will make the playoffs next year.

You guys said prove it, I did.

I don't know why you're assuming I said the majority of Sens fans or every Sens fan all of a sudden.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Nope, there was more than 2 options in the poll.

The majority (over 50%) actually thought they were a playoff team with some offseason moves. Only 47.1% thought they weren't.

This is for the 21-22 season, not 22-23.

I assume that number was much higher for this season.
Did you read the poll? Jesus. The third option was under the assumption they have to do something big multiple times to change the roster. Good grief. Go look at the poll at the Athletic. It was last year and it was way under. You'll have to actually read it. Sorry.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
They may lose someone along the way in the next 6-8 years. Like one single star player, and they might not lose any of them if they are crafty enough and the cap rises like some are predicting it will.

The entire core is almost all locked up to long term cap friendly deals. Giroux and his $6.5m are done in 2 seasons when Chychrun is also up.

There's nothing but flexibility with this young Sens roster, and giving it 2 years to win is almost hilariously inaccurate.

Giroux's contract definitely offers flexibility. Does he want to retire here? Will he do it for a serious pay cut? If not . . . one of Pinto or Greig are looking likely to be able to step up into a top 6 capacity. Murray, White and Ryan buyouts are off the books by then.

Sens should be able to retain their core, and fill out the bottom roster with league minimum contracts which seems to be the play these days from contenders.

Difficult choices will have to be made somewhere along the way, but for the next two seasons this team and all its core pieces up front are locked in place.

Goaltending is another issue altogether . . . but if Soogard keeps it up, I think Sens fans will be quite content going into next year with him and Forsberg.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Did you read the poll? Jesus. The third option was under the assumption they have to do something big multiple times to change the roster. Good grief. Go look at the poll at the Athletic. It was last year and it was way under. You'll have to actually read it. Sorry.

Yeah, but this is me being dragged into a strawmen.

I never made the claim the majority of Sens fan think they were a playoff for multiple seasons... but I'm expected to defend the strawmen for some reason.

That was never my argument.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
My only point was that this isn't my first time hearing the Sens will make the playoffs next year.

You guys said prove it, I did.

I don't know why you're assuming I said the majority of Sens fans or every Sens fan all of a sudden.

So your point is that a couple of fantatics overestimated their team's success, but the vast majority were quite realistic with their expectations?

Terrific. I agree completely.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So your point is that a couple of fantatics overestimated their team's success, but the vast majority were quite realistic with their expectations?

Terrific. I agree completely.

Yup.

So for next seasons playoffs aspirations, is it the majority or minority again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad