Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Should Sens really be giving away so many picks just to miss playoffs?

Giving away a 1st round pick for players like DeBrincat and Chychrun are absolute no brainers for a team at Ottawa's stage. Very few of the drafted players will become as good as them, and the chances go down massively if you aren't picking top 5.

These players are what you want from a top 5 pick. And your super lucky if you find one like them outside of the top 5, it's a statistical fact.

The fact that they were able to keep Pinto and Greig - great young players that are breaking out and will be full time NHLers - is a massive win.

Losing no good young players is the move you make every day versus trading a protected 1st round pick.

Reactions: Galactico

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
We hear this every season but the Sens can never make the playoffs.

Ever heard of the boy who cried wolf? Eerily similar.
Lmao, first year Sens fan thought they had an outside chance, most thought high 80’s in points. Sure there was 5% . 10 max thought they make it this year.
But if it makes you feel better., have at ‘er.

Lol at some of the triggered leaf fans now.
The others ones have been fine.

Reactions: bert

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I wonder if Diamond Sport going under is what tied Arizona's hands at the financial level.

A few teams in the US suddenly lost a bunch of money.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
They are "all in" (or cynically, inflating the franchise's value while the estate sells the team). Starting next year, Stutzle is no longer the wunderkind and he's now the very highly paid franchise center that will be expected to lead them deep into the postseason. Next year is make or break for the Sens imo.
How many first round exits have the Leafs had since Matthews transitioned from Wonderkid into highly paid franchise centre? They're still contenders.

Next season isn't make or break for the Sens. But expectations will certainly be higher than they are this season. No arguments there. But next season they'll have Josh Norris and Jakob Chychrun.

PlayItAgain

Jan 18, 2005
Anyo2ne comparing the picks are out to lunch.
The most likely scenario for that islanders pick is late teens this year or next

Even if by some fluke it's 13th this year,there is a clear drop off after 8th and the Sens are one losing streak away from having what they did to the sharks happen to them (sort of)

If their pick is 6th, the chances are really good that the yotes are getting a stud, Matvei, possibly.

That's a pretty big get if that happens, it's unlikely but you never know and sens fans should know better than most.
Ottawa has the 7th best record since Dec 1st (3 months ago) and 3rd best since mid January. Using plain logic, it’s way more of stretch for your scenario to play out

Reactions: Altimus and bert

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Lmao, first year Sens fan thought they had an outside chance, most thought high 80’s in points. Sure there was 5% . 10 max thought they make it this year.
But if it makes you feel better., have at we.

Lol at some of the triggered leaf fans now.
The others ones have been fine.

I think last season some Sens fans said that if they made a couple of shrewd moves and everything went right they might be a bubble team.

This is the first year people were realistically hoping for the playoffs, and even then it would be in the bubble.

Some people like building men out of straw i guess.

Reactions: bert and alfstheman

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
And there’s this:

^ the coyotes went from taking on dumps like kassian to so broke they couldn’t take the best chcyhrun deal. And that in the 8 months. Scary.

That is separate though. You can't just add dumps and payment for those dumps to a trade and say "hey, we could have got more". They're separate parts that are often conflated because they're moved together. In this instance they just happen to be separate.

We know Ottawa was ready to include assets to move Zaitsev, at least a 2nd + 4th. That doesn't make Chychrun worth more had Ottawa sent them to Arizona. If the trade was 1st, Cond. 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, and Zaitsev for Chychrun, it LOOKs more impressive, but it is the same trades we saw separately, just shoved together to make one trade. Might as well just say "We got Pick #29, a second-round pick in 2024 (Edm) and third-round pick in 2025 (Edm). Kassian, Ottawa's 1st, 2nd, etc... for Chyychrun + #32, etc..."

I honestly don't know why you keep adding that bit. You had money, you spent it getting picks for Kassian. Adding Zaitsev or some other dump doesn't make Chychrun worth more, it just adds a dump (and payment for that dump) to a trade and confuses a direct comparison of assets.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Of the players (picks) that the Sens traded away is 14yrs old right now :laugh:.

Won't somebody please think about the children!!!!!

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
How many first round exits have the Leafs had since Matthews transitioned from Wonderkid into highly paid franchise centre? They're still contenders.

Next season isn't make or break for the Sens. But expectations will certainly be higher than they are this season. No arguments there. But next season they'll have Josh Norris and Jakob Chychrun.
I'd take Auston over Tim personally.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
He will probably want a max contract in two years, they gotta do something before the cap comes to roost and thus far they have not done much with the team they had pre-Chychrun.
If Chabot doesn't improve we can move him and retain. This team hasn't really accomplished anything and though they have nice chemistry at the moment and you don't want to split up the core, eventually you need to shake things up to win.

This trade is brilliant by the way. Dorion low-key making up for past misdeeds.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'd take Auston over Tim personally.

Contracts and age considered, Tim hasn't even started his 8.3 x 8yr deal... still on his ELC lol.

Matthews is going to break someone's back in 2 years after he demands a raise on his 12m/yr current deal.

So in the real world I'm taking Stutzle everyday of the week.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I think last season some Sens fans said that if they made a couple of shrewd moves and everything went right they might be a bubble team.

This is the first year people were realistically hoping for the playoffs, and even then it would be in the bubble.

Some people like building men out of straw i guess.

The Athletic poll at the beginning of the season had about 75% of respondents (who were supposed to be Sens fans) saying the team would miss.

Reactions: Samsquanch and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Should Sens really be giving away so many picks just to miss playoffs?
He's signed for 3 seasons including this one. They have a massive hole on d that was just filled. Healthy Norris and they're dangerous. Lots of players have alot more growth. But yes that's alot of picks. I'd be flipping Talbot for a pick if possible to try and have something this year.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
For everyone saying "my GM should have matched this" your team would need a top 13-17 pick to be in the game. I think this is an embarrassing return for AZ considering they played this out for two years, but if you didn't have that mid first pick you weren't in the game at this level return, a single first.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well, I didn’t know the price of him dropped this much. I assume 30 other GM’s in the league didn’t know that as well. Including Alvin.

because I’m sure many of those 30 would have jumped at this deal too.
LeBrun said Ottawa dropped out last week and Armstrong phoned them back on Monday to re-engage..

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Prove it.

Here,

28% of posters voted Sens 'had the pieces' to make the playoffs in 21-22.

There's more threads I can link also, but the search function doesn't show the threads in chronological order so it's all over the place.

Sure your not thinking of your team getting out of first round.

Baby steps.

Playoffs first, win a round second.

16 teams in the playoffs.
8 teams win a round in the playoffs.

It's twice as difficult to win a round than make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad