Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
that is one interesting take. They'll be building around a very elite core for many years to come.

Who are Colorados 3rd and 4th best forwards, and how do they stack up to the teams in the East? How about their 5th and 6th forwards?

That's my point I guess. Beautiful top end that's arguably as good as anyones in the league. But that's not the same team without Kadri and the others they lost.

My opinion I guess?

Reactions: topshelf15

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't think that's how Carolina, Anaheim, Boston, and St. Louis won their cups. It's a model a lot of teams used but it's not the only way.

Sens finished at the bottom of the standings a bunch of times and slid down in the lottery every time. The good thing is that Stutzle would easily be taken 1st overall in a re-draft and Sanderson isn't far behind either. Brady Tkachuk, a power forward on pace for 90 points, would go top 3 in a re-draft as well.
well Carolina and Anaheim were the very first cap winners, so it was a different time, when a lot of players in their prime just popped up as free agents.

Boston and St. Louis would be 2 out of 15 since then, which is a bit of an exception proves the rule thing IMO

Reactions: dogbazinho

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Should Sens really be giving away so many picks just to miss playoffs?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The Coyotes need to be relocated, as hard as that is for you to accept.
No, they shouldn't, and there's a reason they haven't. The NHL owners know that the league's television footprint is far more important than operating losses.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah there was a thread on the mainboard about the Sens being a playoff team. I even posted in it lol.

There was one prior to the Covid season also.

The Sens always look good 'on paper'.

I'm sure you'll find very few people shared the same opinion of the OP in those threads. The existence of a thread doesn't mean it's a popular belief. This season has been the first with any playoff optimism around the team. It's March and they are in the mix.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Neither players they have traded for involving their first round picks are rentals, so yeah- go for it.

Perfect time to leverage our pick for value while acquiring a player that will undoubtedly help us push that pick later.

What are the chances of a selection around fifteen becoming a player of Chychrun’s calibre? Pretty low?

Now what are the chances of a top fifteen pick in 2023 becoming Chychrun AND helping us this year, next year, and the year after?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They are "all in" (or cynically, inflating the franchise's value while the estate sells the team). Starting next year, Stutzle is no longer the wunderkind and he's now the very highly paid franchise center that will be expected to lead them deep into the postseason. Next year is make or break for the Sens imo.

• Haha
Reactions: Alex1234

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
well Carolina and Anaheim were the very first cap winners, so it was a different time, when a lot of players in their prime just popped up as free agents.

Boston and St. Louis would be 2 out of 15 since then, which is a bit of an exception proves the rule thing IMO
Ok, but otherwise you have to have EXTREMELY fortunate timing. Should we just keep sucking for a 7th straight year and bank on that 10% lottery ticket that might not even result in a HOF-level player (even then, the pick is still protected).

And for the teams it has worked for, Colorado, Pittsburgh, and Washington benefitted from a very generous lottery system. Finish last and you're guaranteed a top-2 pick. You're far more likely to become the 2010-2015 Oilers now than you are any of those three.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I feel bad for Yotes fans. Having ownership that is financially challenged is brutal. On the bright side you guys own 20% of next year’s 2nd round.
Yeah. The return on Chychrun really isn’t all that disappointing. Could be very good if Ottawa blows it. I’m not too worried about this return honestly.

It’s more that we took less that we could’ve for money reasons. Same with Gostisbehere. That’s a bummer. Would’ve loved to see what the return could’ve been if money wasn’t so tight.

Reactions: GCK

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

If they miss the playoffs this season, it will be due to missing their top centre going into the season and a terrible streak in november and december.

They've had one of the better records in the league since that big skid.

Trading a first is always a gamble, but it filled the last big hole on the team. This isn't a rental, this is a trade for the future and on paper its a fantastic one.

I'd rather have Chychrun than the 15th overall draft pick, and whatever player it produces helping out in 2025.

Reactions: topshelf15

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I'm sure you'll find very few people shared the same opinion of the OP in those threads. The existence of a thread doesn't mean it's a popular belief. This season has been the first with any playoff optimism around the team. It's March and they are in the mix.

I wouldn't consider them in the hunt considering the only teams they got more points than than are:

Montreal
Philadelphia
Columbus

But, to each their own.

If you think they can beat 5 teams for Wild Card 2... I guess they're in the hunt.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Wonder what matching color suits the boys were making when they made this trade? What an average return after all that. Clown show.

Great job Dorion, that is nice value.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Ok, but otherwise you have to have EXTREMELY fortunate timing. Should we just keep sucking for a 7th straight year and bank on that 10% lottery ticket that might not even result in a HOF-level player (even then, the pick is still protected).

And for the teams it has worked for, Colorado, Pittsburgh, and Washington benefitted from a very generous lottery system. Finish last and you're guaranteed a top-2 pick.
agreed, the draft and being at the top in the right year is mostly luck, that's why it hasn't worked out for Arizona yet, but they're at least maximizing their odds

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Really just November. Since Dec 1, 22-13-3 .618 P%.

I could be remembering it wrong. Thought it stretched into December.

They've been pretty consistent since then though. Promising, if they make it or not this season.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I wouldn't consider them in the hunt considering the only teams they got more points than than are:

Montreal
Philadelphia
Columbus

But, to each their own.

If you think they can beat 5 teams for Wild Card 2... I guess they're in the hunt.

What timeline are you on.

By Point %

Pit 69P 60GP
Buf 66P 59GP
Nyi 70P 64GP
Ott 64P 60GP
Det 64P 60GP
Fla 66P 62GP
Wsh 64P 62GP

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
They are "all in" (or cynically, inflating the franchise's value while the estate sells the team). Starting next year, Stutzle is no longer the wunderkind and he's now the very highly paid franchise center that will be expected to lead them deep into the postseason. Next year is make or break for the Sens imo.
We are not really getting any better, except for internal development.

If we do not make the post-season next year, there will be an argument of the core just not working.

All the pieces are pretty much filled with not much more help coming, so do or die time.

No more “but if we had a goal scoring winger” or “we just need to fill out our top four”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad