Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
There are a couple underrated parts of this trade:

1. No roster players away from Sens
2. The conditions (and years) on the picks (to protect both Arizona and Ottawa in different circumstances).
3. The position of Ottawa in the standings
4. The lack of retention and cap dumps

Had there not been two years of rumours, demands, speculation etc.. I think this trade would be more favorably viewed. It isn't bad, it just isn't a homerun like some had been hoping for.
And there’s this:

^ the coyotes went from taking on dumps like kassian to so broke they couldn’t take the best chcyhrun deal. And that in the 8 months. Scary.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think this return shows that the Coyotes had absolutely no interest in adding any salary for a better return.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
You don't win Cups by trading all of your picks for trading for pretty good guys just entering their primed lo (like Ottawa), that's how you get a nice shiny 2nd round exit ceiling. You win it by drafting Hall of Fame talent at the very top of the draft and having a bunch of other picks to support those guys. That's the model every Stanley Cup winner follows in the salary cap era.
Not gonna go and say they're gonna be Hall of Famers but Stützle, Tkachuk and Sanderson were drafted 3rd, 4th and 5th overall respectively and I don't think it's crazy to say all would go Top 2 in their respective drafts in a re-draft. All are 23 or younger and under team control for at least, another 5 years.

Add in Debrincat (25), Norris (23), Giroux (35), Batherson (25), Pinto (22), Greig (21) and Joseph (26), that's a very, very solid young Top 9 (other than G).

Then Chychrun (24), Chabot (26), Zub (27), JBD (22), Branny (23), Kleven (21) on the back end.

Goalie is still a toss up, Sogaard looks good but many teams have won cups with above average goaltending.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You'd take Ottawa over Colorado? The Reigning Stanley Cup champs who have a good shot to repeat if they get healthy?

Going forward next season and beyond, without a doubt.

They aren't TB. They are going to follow a path closer to STL and WSH if you ask me. Not enough cap space to have the proper depth.

• Haha
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Great trade for OTT, I love it. Also love to see ARI end up with nothing close to what they wanted.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
And there’s this:

^ the coyotes went from taking on dumps like kassian to so broke they couldn’t take the best chcyhrun deal. And that in the 8 months. Scary.

Tiny arena, and are they one the teams likely impacted by the Bally Situation? I have no idea who has their tv rights.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Why didn't the Canucks make this trade instead?
Well, I didn’t know the price of him dropped this much. I assume 30 other GM’s in the league didn’t know that as well. Including Alvin.

because I’m sure many of those 30 would have jumped at this deal too.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think this return shows that the Coyotes had absolutely no interest in adding any salary for a better return.

Local sources confirming that, yeah. AZ appears to be cash broke atm while waiting for the Tempe arena vote.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Arizona just has the worst GM. Gives away TImmins for NOTHING and now completely overplays his hand for Chychrun.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Cap situation is appears to pretty stable for the immediate future.
Assuming Ottawa can re-sign Debrincat for something close to Larkin we'll be fine thanks to the ELCs. Only thing that might complicate things is Pinto, but he's a 10(c) anyway and no one can try to sign him but us. So he's either getting a bridge (which makes it tough next year but even easier in 24/25) or a one year deal, which means we might even be able to add someone in the offseason.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Great move by the Sens. Expected a much higher cost for Chychrun given how long Arizona have held out.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Going forward next season and beyond, without a doubt.

They aren't TB. They are going to follow a path closer to STL and WSH if you ask me. Not enough cap space to have the proper depth.
that is one interesting take. They'll be building around a very elite core for many years to come.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah there was a thread on the mainboard about the Sens being a playoff team. I even posted in it lol.

There was one prior to the Covid season also.

The Sens always look good 'on paper'.

Since when?

This is the first season that they've looked good on paper since Alfredsson left.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Love it for Ottawa. & man their fans are finally getting what they deserve. Really hope to see a cup there one day

Reactions: Alex1234

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It’s not so bad.

I expected two late 1sts and a late 2nd. This is an early-mid 1st and two mid-late 2nds.

Not great, not terrible. Happy it’s over. And Chychrun goes to the place he wanted.
That Washington 2nd next year should be mid draft but I think the 2026 2nd is going to be pretty late.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Gloat. 100%.

I’ve made 6,217 posts about this. It will be easy to find 50 bad ones or 50 good ones.

I definitely didn’t understand until today how bad the finances have gotten.

Honestly, good on you for owning up to it. You have nothing to be ashamed about. You didn't realize money was that tight. You don't work for the team. It's understandable. It really sucks that an NHL team has to function that way and it's worse for the fans.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The last 10 years are irrelevant, picks didn't work out, the arena situation didn't work out. Look forward, not backwards. Just because the last picks didn't work doesn't mean the next picks won't work out. You don't win Cups by trading all of your picks for trading for pretty good guys just entering their prime (like Ottawa), that's how you get a nice shiny 2nd round exit ceiling. You win it by drafting Hall of Fame talent at the very top of the draft and having a bunch of other picks to support those guys. That's the model every Stanley Cup winner follows in the salary cap era.

The financial stuff, agreed, belongs more in the business of hockey forum, but the League has enough of a welfare policy to keep them afloat until the arena stuff gets sorted out. Once they have an exciting team in an accessible location, fans will come.
I don't think that's how Carolina, Anaheim, Boston, and St. Louis won their cups. It's a model a lot of teams used but it's not the only way.

Sens finished at the bottom of the standings a bunch of times and slid down in the lottery every time. The good thing is that Stutzle would easily be taken 1st overall in a re-draft and Sanderson isn't far behind either. Brady Tkachuk, a power forward on pace for 90 points, would go top 3 in a re-draft as well.

If your plan to win is keep sucking and banking on that 10% you'll win the lottery AND that player is HOF-level, you're almost chasing a unicorn.

Reactions: topshelf15

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Well, I didn’t know the price of him dropped this much. I assume 30 other GM’s in the league didn’t know that as well. Including Alvin.

because I’m sure many of those 30 would have jumped at this deal too.
I’m going to give Armstrong more credit than that. This is the best deal that was available and they knew it.

You don’t wait years and do your due diligence to trade a player, just to forget all of that and within the span of a week accept the first deal that lands across your desk without asking other teams if they would be willing to beat it.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Gloat. 100%.

I’ve made 6,217 posts about this. It will be easy to find 50 bad ones or 50 good ones.

I definitely didn’t understand until today how bad the finances have gotten.

It's been pointed out to you at least 100 times.

It's just ignorance.

The Coyotes need to be relocated, as hard as that is for you to accept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad