Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's the same team but with Josh Norris down the middle. That's very, very good on paper.

I would honestly take the Sens roster over any team in the west going forward. The only teams that are more deep with talented players are all in the East.
You'd take Ottawa over Colorado? The Reigning Stanley Cup champs who have a good shot to repeat if they get healthy?

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
I think what happened here was this.

Arizona - Okay, we want this, this and this for Chychrun.

Playoff teams - We can't afford that, let's look for alternatives.

Washington, Nashville, St. Louis unexpectedly wave the white flag on their season and a new batch of players become available.

Playoff teams - We found our alternatives. Toronto got McCabe and ROR, LA went with Gavrikov, Boston got Orlov, Tampa, Rangers, Devils and Hurricanes were never really in on Chychrun to begin with. Edmonton went with Eckholm.

Arizona - Left with no team to trade with they went with the best deal they could get that was left which was Ottawa.

Reactions: Gee Wally

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Chychrun has 3 years in his contract, including this season. If Arizona retains they lose a retention spot for all of those years. They could play middleman on three rentals and get three assets literally for free. Maybe they value that more than the difference between a second and a low first.

Thanks. I didn't consider that.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yes, I'm aware, but they're running out of time before the cap comes to roost and they have yet to transcend to a Playoff team let alone a Stanley Cup contending team. Maybe Chychrun is the missing piece, should be fun to watch at least next year.

Cap situation appears to pretty stable for the immediate future.

Reactions: bert

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Gloat. 100%.

I’ve made 6,217 posts about this. It will be easy to find 50 bad ones or 50 good ones.

I definitely didn’t understand until today how bad the finances have gotten.
There are a couple underrated parts of this trade:

1. No roster players away from Sens
2. The conditions (and years) on the picks (to protect both Arizona and Ottawa in different circumstances).
3. The position of Ottawa in the standings
4. The lack of retention and cap dumps

Had there not been two years of rumours, demands, speculation etc.. I think this trade would be more favorably viewed. It isn't bad, it just isn't a homerun like some had been hoping for.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
What a weird comment.
1st off we needed an RHD and the Sens potentially gave up a Matvei, Benson type pick if there pick lands at 6. The isles pick is most likely in the late teens this season or next, not comparable at all.
Nevermind the fact they play in the same conference, which might be why he isn't a king or oiler if the ask was higher in conference.
My comment was before the conditions were announced so I’ll walk it back a bit in relation to the Chychrun trade.

That said, Canucks’ management are still idiots for making the Hronek trade.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Washington, Nashville, St. Louis unexpectedly wave the white flag on their season and a new batch of players become available.

Playoff teams - We found our alternatives. Toronto got McCabe and ROR, LA went with Gavrikov, Boston got Orlov, Tampa, Rangers, Devils and Hurricanes were never really in on Chychrun to begin with. Edmonton went with Eckholm.

Arizona - Left with no team to trade with they went with the best deal they could get that was left which was Ottawa.

I think you nailed it.

Reactions: Alex1234 and bert

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
NYI 1st is top 12 protected OTT 1st is top 5 protected
Anyo2ne comparing the picks are out to lunch.
The most likely scenario for that islanders pick is late teens this year or next

Even if by some fluke it's 13th this year,there is a clear drop off after 8th and the Sens are one losing streak away from having what they did to the sharks happen to them (sort of)

If their pick is 6th, the chances are really good that the yotes are getting a stud, Matvei, possibly.

That's a pretty big get if that happens, it's unlikely but you never know and sens fans should know better than most.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
The Sens are going to trade for the Hamburgler in net and go on a 17 game winning streak to make the playoffs. They will make it to the 2 nd round of playoffs losing in game 7 overtime …… just missing out on the Eastern final!

Well we have big Danish Mads Sogaard in net so we moved to a different food-based goaltender.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
We hear this every season but the Sens can never make the playoffs.

Ever heard of the boy who cried wolf? Eerily similar.
What years did you hear this in? Other than this year after we made some big signings/trades and thought we could push for a playoff spot, which year since 2018 were we predicted to make it?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
People are overreacting big time. Let's wait until the draft until we say how bad Arizona lost this trade. Also, Chych is an injury prone 24 year old who wanted out. His value was not as high as me or others on this site thought it was by other GMs.

As a Sens fan who felt the same way after the Mark Stone situation and trade, I can relate to your feelings on some levels. We both know we lost a very elite player but oft injured player...one of them happens to be younger and locked up to a nice deal, but who's counting...

What makes this bit of a unique shitshow though is how public Arizonas GM (and your fanbase) has been about the sky high asking price for the player. And the whole sitting out part.

Add that to his return, which came no where even close to the initial ask, and this at least on the surface is one of the bigger losses in recent memory. It's definitely nothing like when Sakic held on to Duchene (and bent my Sens over), or Yzerman held out on Drouin for someone like Sergachev.

Gotta take your licks when they're earned though. Take it from a Sens fan, it will get better eventually.

Reactions: guyzeur

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018

sounds about right to me

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
What years did you hear this in? Other than this year after we made some big signings/trades and thought we could push for a playoff spot, which year since 2018 were we predicted to make it?

This year, last year, the Covid year. Now, next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad