Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’s really underwhelming for AZ and a no-brainer for Ottawa….

…and yet part of me can’t help but think of just bad luck happening to Ottawa and somehow the pick transferring to an unprotected 2024 (or 2025) and the Coyotes end up with Eiserman or Celebrini (or Misa or Hagens) and the Sens have a disgruntled Chychrun. I dunno why my brain goes there…

Reactions: SpezDispenser

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's been 10 years, unless we want to debate them backing into the playoffs via the covid qualifying round. You don't win the Stanley Cup by hoping the stars align. Even hitting on a couple of picks doesn't fill out a 23-man roster.

At some point, if they aren't going to ice a roster due to financial reasons, the NHL needs to cut bait. Just my opinion. I'll leave this thread and let people discuss the trade.
The last 10 years are irrelevant, picks didn't work out, the arena situation didn't work out. Look forward, not backwards. Just because the last picks didn't work doesn't mean the next picks won't work out. You don't win Cups by trading all of your picks for trading for pretty good guys just entering their prime (like Ottawa), that's how you get a nice shiny 2nd round exit ceiling. You win it by drafting Hall of Fame talent at the very top of the draft and having a bunch of other picks to support those guys. That's the model every Stanley Cup winner follows in the salary cap era.

The financial stuff, agreed, belongs more in the business of hockey forum, but the League has enough of a welfare policy to keep them afloat until the arena stuff gets sorted out. Once they have an exciting team in an accessible location, fans will come.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Easy.

The 1st rounds the Sens gave up were 7th OVR, currently one that is 13th OVR and you're missing a potential 1st in 2024, while the 1st the Lightning gave up is protected and in 2025.

Jeannot trade was stupid but let's not pretend those picks are equal.
Yep TB gave up 1,2,3,4,5 and Foote
Great move by Dorian.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You don't win Cups by trading all of your picks for trading for pretty good guys just entering their prime (like Ottawa), that's how you get a nice shiny 2nd round exit ceiling. You win it by drafting Hall of Fame talent at the very top of the draft and having a bunch of other picks to support those guys. That's the model every Stanley Cup winner follows in the salary cap era.

1677715859956.png

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Ottawa paid a very reasonable price, although there is an element of risk with Chychrun's durability issues. He has missed significant time throughout his career already and he's only 24. If he can stay healthy, it'll be a steal.
He will probably want a max contract in two years, they gotta do something before the cap comes to roost and thus far they have not done much with the team they had pre-Chychrun.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Id be very curious as to what went own with LA & Phoenix. I heard something/somewhere that one of the 2 GM's tried to up the price after they had a deal.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Another overrated Coyote traded.

Wonder who’s going to be the most disappointed at the end of this:

Colorado with Kuemper
Montreal with Dvorak
Ottawa with Chychrun
Vancouver with OEL

Has a hyped up Coyote ever played better on another team? Their stats look better in Arizona because they get every single opportunity. On a good team, that doesn’t happen.

• Haha
Reactions: Synesthesia

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
The Sens are going to trade for the Hamburgler in net and go on a 17 game winning streak to make the playoffs. They will make it to the 2 nd round of playoffs losing in game 7 overtime …… just missing out on the Eastern final!

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
People are overreacting big time. Let's wait until the draft until we say how bad Arizona lost this trade. Also, Chych is an injury prone 24 year old who wanted out. His value was not as high as me or others on this site thought it was by other GMs.

RJMA

Feb 15, 2023
Well, looks like BA learned that the longer you wait, the less likely you are to get what you want. Dumbass.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The hyperbole is crazy. A 1st from a non-playoff team in a stacked draft and two 2nds, it's a solid return for a guy that's not going to the Hockey Hall of Fame, it's a bit underwhelming but it's not "literally nothing".
Yeah. Underwhelming is the right word. But I expected more out of BA. Looks like he just took the deal with no money involved and the highest realistic pick this year. The difference between getting say pick #30 and potentially like pick #14 is not insignificant. This draft is loaded and maybe the AZ scouting staff have really zeroed in on a big drop-off after 15-20.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
If the draft happened today based on point percentage we'd have 3 teams with 2 top 15 picks eacg after this trade Habs, Yotes, Redwings.

Ottawa, Jersey and the Rangers had 7 of the top 20 picks in 2020, with Ottawa having another in the first later

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Our long nightmare about when and where Chychrun will be traded is finally over. Break out a Molson’s.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
It’s really underwhelming for AZ and a no-brainer for Ottawa….

…and yet part of me can’t help but think of just bad luck happening to Ottawa and somehow the pick transferring to an unprotected 2024 (or 2025) and the Coyotes end up with Eiserman or Celebrini (or Misa or Hagens) and the Sens have a disgruntled Chychrun. I dunno why my brain goes there…
Arizona did exactly what they set out to do: dump salary and gain picks, and apparently in that order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad