Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I know this is less than Arizona as apparently asking for.... but it's still steep for 2 seasons and 20 games of team control. Either Ottawa is moving him in 2 years, or extending him to a contract that could be long and painful.

I think Arizona manages to get exagerated value for guys like Chychrun and Dvorak by offering big money deals to kids right off their ELC, when they develop well they seem like bargains... but it also means having guys become UFAs smack in their prime.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Here,

28% of posters voted Sens 'had the pieces' to make the playoffs in 21-22.

There's more threads I can link also, but the search function doesn't show the threads in chronological order so it's all over the place.

28%?

Wow, there’s a vote of confidence.

I see that I’m correctly among the “No” voters, as is @bert.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They are "all in" (or cynically, inflating the franchise's value while the estate sells the team). Starting next year, Stutzle is no longer the wunderkind and he's now the very highly paid franchise center that will be expected to lead them deep into the postseason. Next year is make or break for the Sens imo.
What are you smoking, why would it be make or break it. You seem really upset about this trade, I’m sure it will be Ok, it was just a trade.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Here,

28% of posters voted Sens 'had the pieces' to make the playoffs in 21-22.

There's more threads I can link also, but the search function doesn't show the threads in chronological order so it's all over the place.

Baby steps.

Playoffs first, win a round second.

16 teams in the playoffs.
8 teams win a round in the playoffs.

It's twice as difficult to win a round than make the playoffs.
So 72% didn't think so?... Uhhh. Haha

• Haha
Reactions: branch

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
28%?

Wow, there’s a vote of confidence.

I see that I’m correctly among the “No” voters, as is @bert.

Yeah, I'm not saying 100% of Sens fans think they're gonna make the playoffs. That will never happen.

But it's more than 1 or 2 who have said it for multiple years.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So 72% didn't think so?... Uhhh. Haha

Nope, there was more than 2 options in the poll.

The majority (over 50%) actually thought they were a playoff team with some offseason moves. Only 47.1% thought they weren't.

This is for the 21-22 season, not 22-23.

I assume that number was much higher for this season.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I know this is less than Arizona as apparently asking for.... but it's still steep for 2 seasons and 20 games of team control. Either Ottawa is moving him in 2 years, or extending him to a contract that could be long and painful.

I think Arizona manages to get exagerated value for guys like Chychrun and Dvorak by offering big money deals to kids right off their ELC, when they develop well they seem like bargains... but it also means having guys become UFAs smack in their prime.

Dvorak and Chychrun aren't at all similar. Chychrun has actually played like a dominant #1D.

Dvorak is pretty much the same player Montreal traded for, it was just the Habs fans that seemed to think he had a bunch of untapped potential, and got disappointed when they realized that he was just a regressing mess.

Chychurn was the best available player on the market. And he has 2 years MORE term at a great cap hit. It's an incredible contract.

Reactions: PainForShane

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nope, there was more than 2 options in the poll.

The majority (over 50%) actually thought they were a playoff team with some offseason moves. Only 47.1% thought they weren't.

This is for the 21-22 season, not 22-23.

I assume that number was much higher for this season.

And what major off-season moves were made for the 21-22 season?

Right, exactly.

This season had higher expectations and to date they haven’t been met.

We expected to be in the thick of it as opposed to holding up the rear of the playoff race.

Meaningful hockey in March? This was the mantra being said all off season and even coming up in the post game remarks as recently as our last game against Detroit.

Marginally meaningful is the grade I would give.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Huge win for the Sens. Congrats gang despite your crap owner.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
And what major off-season moves were made for the 21-22 season?

Right, exactly.

So, over 1 in 4 of Sens fans thought they were a playoff team for multiple seasons now.

Would you agree with that statement?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What are you smoking, why would it be make or break it. You seem really upset about this trade, I’m sure it will be Ok, it was just a trade.
I seem mad? Well I’m not. I think the senators need to make the playoffs next year. Not sure why that is controversial. Their window is the next couple years just based on how cap works. They ideally will strike while still in a good spot cap flexibility wise. That’s just how the nhl works.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
historically, drafts aren't dramatically different outside the first 10 picks outside of rare exceptions like 2003 which had some weird rules changes it benefitted from.

I would totally agree with this in the sense that a top 10-15 pick feels like it's worth a whole lot more than it actually is. I'm sure it's more like half the real value or less of a top 5 pick, and close to on par with a 20-25th pick when you add up the real world results.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So, over 1 in 4 of Sens fans thought they were a playoff team for multiple seasons now.

Would you agree with that statement?

No idea.

I would agree that a minority of Senators fans believed the team to be a playoff team before this season.

Reactions: bert

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Remember............he passed away.....
His daughters are currently sellling the team.
Sorry, I associated the family name.

Still a win for Sens fans.

They are going to be back in it next season in a serious pain in the butt way.

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad