OT: Other Sports aka CSU Football Thread XX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
just some interview updates that I've seen....

Broncos have requested to interview Kubiak reportedly
http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fa...broncos-to-request-interview-with-gary-kubiak

Gase has interviewed with Elway
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27318623/adam-gase-broncos-coaching-job

Gase interest from Jaguars and Raiders for O Coordinator position
http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/680431

Gase already interviewed with Falcons
http://atlantafalcons.blog.ajc.com/2014/12/31/report-falcons-to-interview-adam-gase-on-friday/

Broncos will interview Teryl Austin on Friday
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/14/report-broncos-to-interview-teryl-austin-on-friday/
(horrible to say but this is noteworthy because they have to interview a minority candidate....If Gase is the guy, they will announce after Friday)

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
An eight yard pass hardly qualifies as a "long ball" and if Peyton couldn't hit (and he couldn't) a receiver eight yards down field he shouldn't have been out there.

There was NO intermediate passing game Sunday. Either they threw it deep (usually 3+ yards off target) or they threw it +/- 5 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Point is, you throw it to the damn sticks on 4th and 8 in the 4th quarter of a home playoff game.

The Colts had put 10 of their 11 defenders within 10 years of the line of scrimmage. Manning couldn't throw the ball deep, and he couldn't scramble with it either. That makes a pretty small field for a NFL defense to defend. If Manning could have zipped/completed a few of those long passes, Indianapolis would have had to loosen the secondary up, which in turn loosens the linebackers up, which in turn lends itself to a much more effective intermediate passing game for an offense.

But since Manning could not come close to completing a long pass, and since the defense didn't have to worry a lick about Manning scrambling (hence, have a defender semi-responsible for it), they put all kinds of defenders in that 3-10 yard from the line of scrimmage area, and clogged it up.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's certainly going to be old school football when 3/4 of the league's decent QBs retire and only Luck and Rodgers are the good ones around. Nobody sees this as a problem where colleges don't develop pocket passers anymore.

It really isn't as much of an issue anymore. The evolution in the passing game has made it much easier for young QBs and WRs to come in and learn on the job without looking like a rookie Aikman or Peyton and sabotaging their team in the process. The proliferation of spread concepts in the passing games just makes for a much easier transition.

Anyway, I'm so excited for next year. Fewell actually got fired; Spags is the favorite to replace him; Dennis Allen is also a top candidate for the job if it doesn't go to spags; Suh has stated he wants to play in NYC and the Jets already have an assload dedicated to the DL. There's a ton of work to do, but the giants have some really exciting things going for them if they can continue the strong offseason work.

LOL.

Skip Bayless is going ape s**t on Twitter.

That POS is the scourge of Sports Reporting...I actually wouldn't even call what he does "sports reporting". He's nothing more than a sensationalist.

Skip is the greatest troll in sport.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
He really is. He gets credited for pretty much singlehandedly making ESPN as a whole unwatchable, though IMO they were headed in that direction long before he showed up.

What I think is amazing is that ESPN took Skip and Stephen A. Smith (who I will call the OTHER reason that ESPN as a whole is unwatchable) and decided "Hey! I've got a great idea, let's put these two on a show together!"

Both of them are without a doubt the worst thing on ESPN...it's just that Skip Bayless is somehow more loud (not necessarily vocal volume, but in the amount of times his stuff is spread out) than Stephen A.

The fact that this guy somehow gets PAID to talk about sports and have himself presented as a "Sports Journalist" is an affront to actual people deserving that opportunity and an injustice to real and honest Sports Journalists.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What I think is amazing is that ESPN took Skip and Stephen A. Smith (who I will call the OTHER reason that ESPN as a whole is unwatchable) and decided "Hey! I've got a great idea, let's put these two on a show together!"

Both of them are without a doubt the worst thing on ESPN...it's just that Skip Bayless is somehow more loud (not necessarily vocal volume, but in the amount of times his stuff is spread out) than Stephen A.

The fact that this guy somehow gets PAID to talk about sports and have himself presented as a "Sports Journalist" is an affront to actual people deserving that opportunity and an injustice to real and honest Sports Journalists.

http://deadspin.com/5929361/how-esp...-skip-bayless-to-the-bottom-a-tim-tebow-story

Again, I think ESPN was well on their way to garbage programming long before Bayless (or even Tim Tebow) showed up. IMO it was Sports Illustrated who started this trend of actually drumming up controversy rather than just reporting it, and then focusing on that rather than actual sports.

I pretty much stopped watching ESPN once they featured a story every five minutes on "the Brett Favre watch." Professional bowling couldn't get more boring than that.

The sad thing is, just like the advent of trashy reality TV shows, these things wouldn't happen if people didn't watch in droves. Blame them too.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I enjoy Skip, but I like good trolls and think that they can be very funny in small doses, and since I haven't watched ESPN in years for anything other than a game, I can easily control my dosage.

Screamin A' is just annoying though, he really is awful.

PS I loved Tim Tebow, that was probably the most fun NFL season I've ever watched...at least in the regular season, as 18-1 will always be my favorite NFL post-season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I enjoy Skip, but I like good trolls and think that they can be very funny in small doses, and since I haven't watched ESPN in years for anything other than a game, I can easily control my dosage.

The only enjoyable segment Skip Bayless has ever done is when Mark Cuban completely dismantled him on national television.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
When did Nugs trade for Jameer Nelson? I remember when they drafted him, I was happy, then found out he was traded right away.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Kubiak WILL interview for the Broncos job

BaltimoreRavens.com is reporting it, as well as several NFL people, here's a tweet from La Canfora

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora · 47m47 minutes ago
Gary Kubiak will meet with Broncos for their head coaching opening. Interview expected this weekend. Suffice to say Elway very interested

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, if Kubiak's gone back on his words so quickly he's clearly really interested. Now the question is if Peyton is as excited and if that's a solution he wants to come back for, because I'm pretty sure the reasoning behind letting Fox and his whole staff go was to clean house for a coaching staff that they could convince Peyton would make the difference in pushing them to that final level.

I'm not sure Peyton will be as excited to have Kubiak, because you'll run the ball a lot more and Peyton won't have as complete of control over the offense, but if he's on board I think would be very useful for you guys to be able to keep Peyton fresher for the playoffs.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Don't really understand the Jameer trade, but whatever, no biggie either way.

It's a good trade.

Nate Robinson is only useful when he's scoring. He can't play defense, he's not a great distributor, he's not a great leader, he's not very smart.

And this year, he's not been scoring.

He adds nothing to this team when his shots aren't falling. He's just another undersized point guard. A dollar store version of Lawson.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nate's not a short point guard. He's a short shooting guard that needs the ball in his hands a lot. I loved him as knick as depth scorer and fan favorite, especially in an era where we lacked anything even resembling legit young talent because of Isiah, but he's never been effective as a point guard and distributer.

Would've been fun, if LeBron had picked New York, to watch LBJ and Gallo feeding Nate for dunks in game (in this scenario Gallo never gets hurt and is allowed to develop as a point-forward who learns from that ******) when he would come on, but Nate shouldn't be the guy who you trust to run things unless he's hot and out there with a second unit that lacks scorers.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
Dan Quinn is our man... he's exactly what this team needs.

I will be very disappointed if we don't hire Dan Quinn.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Dan Quinn is our man... he's exactly what this team needs.

I will be very disappointed if we don't hire Dan Quinn.

That's exactly how I feel, but I think chances are slim at this point. A) Too much smoke (from some seemingly well-informed people on Redd1t and elsewhere) around Kubiak and Elway slobbering over one another and, B) the NFL's interview policy handcuffs teams that were recently eliminated from the playoffs and want to interview assistants from teams that are still playing in the playoffs.

At this point, I'd be stunned if it isn't Kubiak. But I agree with you 100% - Dan Quinn would be a homerun hire; I just doubt Elway feels strongly enough about him over Kubes to wait while Seattle tries to "RePete".

Honestly, Kubiak is fairly "meh" hire. Not a huge fan of these re-tread coaches, especially ones who already have sentimental ties to a franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad